Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 765876 times)

FGO925

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #4620 on: September 23, 2022, 01:24:44 PM »
440’s vs 425’s? And maybe 508’s?

What should I cop/what are the differences? They look similar enough. I guess the 440’s just have a more boxy toe?
Don’t like the 508 color way as much, however is seems like a very similar shoe as well. Uhg! Too many options.

Had the 272’s and they were amazing. However I wore the sole down and upper a little too fast for my liking. But that’s probably because its a Vulc shoe and that just how they are. Last shoe was a cup and I’ve been loving the low profile cup soles lately.

Too scared to try the 1010’s. Everyone seems to love them but I don’t know if I can go that big/bully just yet….
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 01:42:55 PM by FGO925 »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4621 on: September 23, 2022, 02:11:20 PM »
I would rec the 440. I think the 425 has no advantages over it and I think they look cheap and just don't fit as well. A price point shoe. For me the 508 had heel slip and I don't like the perforated leather on the sides, but the people I know that have had them love them. I rock the 440 and 1010 in the same size. I put Superfeet RUN Comfort insoles in the 440 and NB sells their branded version of the same insoles cuz they have a super thin insole and I am old.

The 440 was my first modern cup and it was a great into to a cup.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4622 on: September 23, 2022, 03:01:46 PM »
I like that NB# makes different shapes to give us all options.  Unlike eS where every shoe has the same shape which doesn't work for me.  I'll also second that the 425 is junk. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4623 on: September 23, 2022, 06:24:18 PM »
I like that NB# makes different shapes to give us all options.  Unlike eS where every shoe has the same shape which doesn't work for me.  I'll also second that the 425 is junk. 

Same, options are good. The only drawback is you have to try them on in person; easy enough to hit a zooms (they always have tons of different models) then order core.

For my feet the 'square' toes are almost always a miss, way to narrow (westgate/Tiago) and shoes like the 255 or 306 are round and fit a bit better but not the same size, i.e., the 10.5 255s fit great, in the foy tey were too big and 10s aere too small).

I was surprised the 440s worked out but they are sort of ia round/square toe hybrid among NB#. Great shoe.

Let me introduce you to my friend Cons then- consistently confusing across all models. I sized down a full size for some CTAS, true to size for fastbreaks, up a half size for Louie's, then one stars down a half size depending on which model they were.

Louies fit me true to size. 10s (picked up my first pair recently)
One stars always fit me true to size now. 10s (the KA pro I had to size down, this was years ago tho, like 5+)
Checkpoint pros, true to size. 10s (but run narrow)

Only old chucks do I need to size down; haven't picked up fastbreaks because I don't trust their sizing and no one local ever has them. I should just zappos an ugly colorway (if you're not using zappos you're missing out on easy order and returns, great of NB# sizing)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4624 on: September 23, 2022, 09:33:36 PM »
Your experience with shoes seems to be the complete opposite of mine minus 440. Could be useful info for future purchases.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #4625 on: September 25, 2022, 01:34:18 AM »
They do with simple colorways I think or at least stagger them very close in release. I am thinking of the white/cream/blue and generic black/gum models specifically. Some models never get released in the opposite- GSD colorways, so far the black with white stitching and the royal blue/white high are not in the lows.

Man I tried on the 808 yesterday and I just don't get how people do this. They brought back traumatic memories of breaking in bulky ass shoes in HS and I just don't see the advantage. If they wanted a lower tech Tiago why not just use different foams and panel materials like the 425 vs 440?

It started off as a lower priced shoe but they couldn’t make it to tiago’s standards so it’s basically in the same “tier” as the 1010 but with a slightly different design philosophy

I’ve had 10 pairs of 1010’s and they’re my absolute favorite shoe. I tried on the 808s at the shop today and they’re alright but that sole does seem fairly thick and would take a while to break in. I’m sure they’d last forever but I definitely prefer the 1010’s.

The 808 outsole is fire though I wish the 1010 had the same tread pattern. My ONLY qualm with the 1010s is that those corners of the outsole bald out pretty quick compared to the rest of the sole & upper

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4626 on: September 25, 2022, 08:38:25 PM »
Expand Quote
As a guy who shreds ollieholes thru Blazer lows in a few days, I say no to Nike. New Balance 306 all the way! Or soon to be 440 :D
[close]

Trade off for sure. 440 is a great shoe!

I'd rather go through 2x GT blazers than break in one pair of Tiagos at this point...the shoe wears twice as long but that first half is a pain in the ass (for me)....plus, my pants are big enough.

First skate in the blazers after only skating the tiagos, 5 hour session or so...been wearing the blazers since I got them to break them in (not that they needed it.

my feet hurt lol (and could tell on my first run out that the blazers are not like the tiagos in footbed cushioning)

The entirety of the bottom of my foot...that standing on your feet at a theme park all day kinda hurt...it's to be expected, the tiago is a hell of a lot of cupsole shoe that hugs, supports and cradles your foot....polar opposite of the GT blazer...blazer way easier to skate and break in however...that said, I was also riding 103a stfs and NOT the 93a dragons...I'm certain my feet would be less tired if I had been riding the 93s.

I want a tiago that isn't as snug, what's the call here?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 09:49:52 AM by Xen »

jrb32

• Rep: -2
« Reply #4627 on: September 25, 2022, 08:52:23 PM »
Anyone have experience with the 22’s? How are they, if you have? 

fur lined sea

• Rep: 223
« Reply #4628 on: September 25, 2022, 10:58:08 PM »

Been asking the same thing, but got nothing.

I went ahead and bought a pair in white leather/gum. Unfortunately I won't be able to skate them for a while (surgery tomorrow), but I like them.

For the last few years I've only skated the 212s, they fit me perfectly. The 22s aren't as wide as the 212s, but are still roomy enough. They have the same insole as the 212s/306s on the same sole as a 306 I think. They're not as thin or light as the 212, they seem like they'll hold up due to less stitching. If you're a fan of Blazers, Bruins or even the old Adidas Skate, you'll like these. I would say they're wider than all of those, which is a plus for me. Most skate shoes are too narrow for me and don't pass the ankle roll test.

They run true to size. I've got them in 10 and I wear 10 in 212s, and whatever else I used to skate (mainly Vans).

Heel lock is good. The laces are far up, I doubt they'll snap quickly. The tongue doesn't seem to slip around.

Photos don't do them justice but I think they're one of the best looking shoes out at the moment:

Sorry I can't be of more help since I can't skate mine right now.
Globes Opinion made me depressed for years.

BALLSACK_SKATEBOARDING

• Rep: -1
« Reply #4629 on: September 26, 2022, 06:27:47 AM »
Could we PLEASE get a dark colored 440 high colorway in regular rotation that isn't the contrast stitching one. The tom knox black/black 440 high was perfect, if I just had a bit of foresight I would have literally just purchased 10 of them and been done with shoes for the next few years.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4630 on: September 26, 2022, 09:17:35 AM »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4631 on: September 26, 2022, 09:34:15 AM »
Hope this means another Franky Halloween part

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #4632 on: September 26, 2022, 03:41:58 PM »
I've never been interested in New Balance before but those Franky 272s are really nice. Might fuck around and try a pair.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #4633 on: September 27, 2022, 03:41:20 AM »
parade world has a ton of NBs at, less, or around $50. copt those clear sole 440s for $50

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #4634 on: September 27, 2022, 06:08:08 AM »
Anyone else find the 272 ridiculously grippy?

It's messing with my flip tricks
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #4635 on: September 27, 2022, 07:21:25 AM »
I got my 440's today. Same size as my 306's. Fits good, slightly longer indeed. so my toe doesnt hurt.
They are also crazy grippy... Like seriously never had anything that grippy. You can feel it "sucking" down on hardwood floors.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #4636 on: September 27, 2022, 08:14:15 AM »
I got my 440's today. Same size as my 306's. Fits good, slightly longer indeed. so my toe doesnt hurt.
They are also crazy grippy... Like seriously never had anything that grippy. You can feel it "sucking" down on hardwood floors.

Thats what my new 272s are like. It's really annoying. It's too grippy. Grip doesn't seem to be wearing down either
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
« Reply #4637 on: September 27, 2022, 08:57:30 AM »
parade world has a ton of NBs at, less, or around $50. copt those clear sole 440s for $50

Link? Not even seeing those online anywhere
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
« Reply #4638 on: September 27, 2022, 09:01:35 AM »
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #4639 on: September 27, 2022, 09:25:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Link? Not even seeing those online anywhere

damn, looks like none of that is there anymore...weird

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #4640 on: September 27, 2022, 09:30:11 AM »

ngl, I stopped skating my 440s after a really hard slam on transition where I tried to kick the board away and it ended up sticking to my toe/foot and I landed on it and slipped out. Yeah, probably not the shoe's fault but was enough to take a break from them. Plus the square toe still weirds me out a bit...
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4641 on: September 27, 2022, 12:11:09 PM »
I’m going crazy with the 440s haha. The size 10’s were a bit too small but these Tom knox leather 440s in 10 1/2 are too big.

Dumb on my part because leather shoes always stretch out and usually run big in my experience.

Going to have to exchange these I guess.

In anyone else’s experience, do the regular suede 440s end up stretching out? Left shoe fits perfect but the right one is just slightly too cramped for my liking.

Other than that these shoes seem perfect. Tons of board feel, slim cupsole, and they hug my heel decently well. Once I get the sizing down I can’t wait to skate these.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #4642 on: September 27, 2022, 12:15:20 PM »
^ You say that, but my 306's have not stretched out at all. They are vulcs, so you would think that they would.
I guess the rubber strap thing on the 306's, which goes around pretty much the hole shoe, does so it doesnt stretch much, if any at all. I dont know if the 440's have the same rubber strap, but if it does? I doubt it will stretch out :/

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4643 on: September 27, 2022, 12:55:17 PM »
My 440's always stretch a bit. I'm not actually sure I can recall a shoe that doesn't stretch or soften up some from NB, however, I don't think they ever bag out completely like the Vans Pro Line did or some other brands do.

If you're between sizes I would always go up. If you go too small there ain't much you can do to make the shoe longer and you risk constricting your foot. Constricting your metatarsal bones can, in some cases, affect ankle articulation more than you'd realize. It's one major reason rock climbers get injured in a lot of otherwise chill falls.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #4644 on: September 27, 2022, 05:36:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Been asking the same thing, but got nothing.

I went ahead and bought a pair in white leather/gum. Unfortunately I won't be able to skate them for a while (surgery tomorrow), but I like them.

For the last few years I've only skated the 212s, they fit me perfectly. The 22s aren't as wide as the 212s, but are still roomy enough. They have the same insole as the 212s/306s on the same sole as a 306 I think. They're not as thin or light as the 212, they seem like they'll hold up due to less stitching. If you're a fan of Blazers, Bruins or even the old Adidas Skate, you'll like these. I would say they're wider than all of those, which is a plus for me. Most skate shoes are too narrow for me and don't pass the ankle roll test.

They run true to size. I've got them in 10 and I wear 10 in 212s, and whatever else I used to skate (mainly Vans).

Heel lock is good. The laces are far up, I doubt they'll snap quickly. The tongue doesn't seem to slip around.

Photos don't do them justice but I think they're one of the best looking shoes out at the moment:

Sorry I can't be of more help since I can't skate mine right now.

thanks for this!

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4645 on: September 27, 2022, 11:53:24 PM »

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4646 on: September 28, 2022, 12:31:24 AM »
I've never been interested in New Balance before but those Franky 272s are really nice. Might fuck around and try a pair.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cix1bTYJvpD/?igshid=NzNkNDdiOGI=
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4647 on: September 28, 2022, 03:25:10 AM »
Yo, I like these 272s. Is the fit comparable to the 440s?
IG: @flowterspace

Diamond_Dallas_Pudge

• Rep: -46
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4648 on: September 28, 2022, 03:59:00 AM »
My feet are wide as hell and I these 440 his fit perfectly.

Probably the closest thing to a vulcanized cupsole shoe I've ever seen and my feet don't hurt.

I'm sold for life
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 04:25:31 AM by Diamond_Dallas_Pudge »

Frontside Slappy

• Rep: 91
  • Somewhere in a parking garage
« Reply #4649 on: September 28, 2022, 05:19:33 AM »
Yo, I like these 272s. Is the fit comparable to the 440s?

In my experience they're much roomier in the toe box area than the 440s, so much so that I dropped half a size down from what I usually wear and they're perfect.

That being said I've never had a pair of leather 272s, but I figure they'd fit the same.
"That was a clean one." -Werner Herzog