Author Topic: States most comparable to california  (Read 3000 times)

GetSnaked

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
States most comparable to california
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:46:49 PM »
Since California is sort of an "anomaly" in skating, as in there is no place really like it, with industry, amount of skate culture influence, architecture, weather, especially when comparing it to solely the U.S.  What states do you believe most closely resemble CA, in terms of spots and i guess amount of skaters? I'd say colorado, arizona, Nevada (Las Vegas) Florida (specifically SoFlo) and i guess you could throw in texas and hawaii as a stretch. Guess I've been paying to much attention in geography class.
i get the joke it's just not funny and doing school for a long time doesn't make you not a dipshit.
[/quote]

[/quote]

You little zoomers that came up at zoomies don’t know shit and you need to read a fucking book and put

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
Re: States most comparable to california
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:38:41 PM »
Since California is sort of an "anomaly" in skating, as in there is no place really like it, with industry, amount of skate culture influence, architecture, weather, especially when comparing it to solely the U.S.  What states do you believe most closely resemble CA, in terms of spots and i guess amount of skaters? I'd say colorado, arizona, Nevada (Las Vegas) Florida (specifically SoFlo) and i guess you could throw in texas and hawaii as a stretch. Guess I've been paying to much attention in geography class.
If you pay attention to culture, industry, and Architecture there's NY. I feel like saying Spain because of MACBA but, I'm an uncultured swine and don't know the weather or much outside of Barcelona being the greatest soccer team.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 04:14:03 AM »
California's weird b/c it's so damn big.  It's like if the east coast had one state that went from Atlanta to NYC.  There are different cultures and vibes along the way.  San Diego is different from LA which is different from SF.  I don't know much about central CA.  Then if you go an hour inland, it's some of the most redneck shit you've ever seen.     

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 07:04:44 AM »
I know that Florida has an insane amount of street/plaza style skate parks built by Team Pain. If you can deal with the people down there I think it'd be worth the move. Within a 40 mile radius of Tampa you have the following:
http://www.teampain.com/2013/05/lakeland-skate-park/

http://www.teampain.com/2013/01/bradenton-riverwalk-skatepark/

http://www.teampain.com/2014/12/jackson-springs-fl/

http://www.teampain.com/2005/08/lake-vista-skate-park/

http://www.teampain.com/2016/01/zephyrhills-florida-skate-park-aerial-view-hd/

Plus
http://www.teampain.com/2016/01/field-report-perry-harvey-skate-park-bro-bowl-1-8-16/

plus SPOt. Plus every other part of Florida appears to be packed with them too.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 10:53:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If you pay attention to culture, industry, and Architecture there's NY. I feel like saying Spain because of MACBA but, I'm an uncultured swine and don't know the weather or much outside of Barcelona being the greatest soccer team.

I can live with the whole "uncultured swine" thing, but I will not stand for liers.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 01:30:09 PM »
It's not a state and I'm a total biased homer but the only comparable skate mecca is Vancouver BC. In terms of talent level, affordability, and the plethora of skateparks everywhere

Police are pretty 'lax in BC and there's tons to do if you can't skate. Good weather, solid beaches, and 1$ pizza slices.

AnotherHardDayAtTheOffice

• Rep: -7
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 01:39:48 AM »
Barcelona is better than any Californian city. There's spots, there's tons of skate history, and there's skaters everywhere. I mean everywhere. That's not the case in California. Not even in SF.

Plus, life in Spain beats the hell out of life in California: the bars are better, the food is better, the overall culture is more vibrant. Maybe that's just me, but having lived in NorCal for a year, I found street culture in California (maybe the US in general?) very... well... tame. Take drinking: it happens in enclosed private spaces (either a bar or someone's home) and all bars close at 2:00. It's very restricted. In Spain, on the other hand, you might have your first rounds just sitting at a nice space somewhere outside and you'll start going to bars at 2:00. And the amazing thing is that, contrary to what some of you might expect, you see very few drunk people. Just because you can drink in public doesn't mean things have to get rowdy. Skating-wise, you don't get kicked out as easily as well.

So yeah, Barcelona>>>>any other big city in Europe>>>>SF>>>>the rest of California.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 07:55:33 AM »
While, in general, Spain has better food than most everywhere, they have no tacos and burritos.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

7 year old

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 08:04:56 AM »
cant agree with that, spaniards dont like spicy food, pretty big oversight in my eyes.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 05:17:08 PM »
Austin, Texas is definitely like California. I moved here six years ago and it went from being Texas' exception to softcore LA. Tons of people from California are moving here constantly. It's usually sunny and warm, if not Satan's asshole hot. There's a comparable hispanic population, providing good tacos (if you know where to go, fuck that Tex-Mex nonsense), tech industry is booming here, there's a lot of overpriced coffee shops, and it's rapidly spreading/gentrifying. I could go on. Oh, and they're building a surf park here.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

chockfullofthat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 11:15:23 AM »
Thought the food was pretty bleh in Barcelona to be honest except for the paella and kebab joints.

Elderly Gentleman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »
Austin, Texas is definitely like California. I moved here six years ago and it went from being Texas' exception to softcore LA. Tons of people from California are moving here constantly. It's usually sunny and warm, if not Satan's asshole hot. There's a comparable hispanic population, providing good tacos (if you know where to go, fuck that Tex-Mex nonsense), tech industry is booming here, there's a lot of overpriced coffee shops, and it's rapidly spreading/gentrifying. I could go on. Oh, and they're building a surf park here.

Nashville is pretty much that way now too.  The last stat I saw said 80+ people per day are moving here.  It's insane!  The tech industry is booming.  I'm an electronics tech and have a job I love, yet I get calls monthly from head hunters with job offers and I'm not even looking!  The skate scene is really solid.  There are tons of parks in and around the area.  Plus downtown is always a hot spot.  Also the weather is very similar to Austin.  HOT in late summer and winters aren't terrible.  Most of the year it's comfortable.  Also, with the music industry so big here, bands are leaving LA for Nashville in droves.  They can record here and live a rather normal life without all the paparazzi on them constantly.  People here are used to seeing celebrities daily and leave them alone.  My wife works in the music business and I've seen the insanity involved. 

Seriously though, if you've never been to Nashville, I highly recommend checking it out.  Also there are a few Skate companies here.  Low Budget Skateboards makes really good decks and have some cool designs.  Salemtown Board Co. is here in town and have been featured on several shows.  They give jobs to inter city kids and make everything from cruisers and long boards to some actually really solid Popsicle style decks.  Plus there's Franklin Skate shop just out of town that's owned by Donny Myhre.  He was a pro for Zorlac back in the day.  He's 51 and still shredding.  He gives skate lessons, takes local kids on field trips to skateparks in nearby states and helps design and build local parks in the area.  I can't speak for the rest of Tennessee, but Nashville has a strong skate scene.
I was addicted to the Hokey Pokey, but then I turned myself around.

"I'll just use my Zumiez rewards card".

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 912
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 12:26:19 PM »
These threads always turn into a "where I'm from is better than where you're from" type of thing as evidenced by pretty much every answer so far.

Elderly Gentleman

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »
I haven't been there in a while but Virginia Beach area had a really good scene when I've visited and of course there's the beach aspect too.  Winters are worse, but... give and take.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 12:56:05 PM »
I've never been to Nashville, but if I do go, hot chicken will be the first thing I eat.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Elderly Gentleman

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
I've never been to Nashville, but if I do go, hot chicken will be the first thing I eat.

For the love of God, don't go to KFC and think that's what it tastes like!  It's worth the trip.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 01:18:25 PM »
Thought the food was pretty bleh in Barcelona to be honest except for the paella and kebab joints.
I agree. Having lived there I'd say most of the food in Spain is not amazing. Obvious exceptions such as hams, cheeses, wines, tomatoes, seafood, etc. but the everyday fare there is somewhat trife in my opinion.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 01:19:59 PM »
I haven't been there in a while but Virginia Beach area had a really good scene when I've visited and of course there's the beach aspect too.  Winters are worse, but... give and take.
Having grown up there, VB sucks. Very few skate spots for a city its size (probably due to the flatness of the area). The spots that do exist are really spread out. It's not unusual to drive 20 mins to a spot, skate it for five minutes before getting kicked out, and then get back in the car to do it all over again.

The city skateparks are fun enough, but get super crowded due to there being a low number of them compared to the amount of people who skate. Helmets are required (park nannies get paid to sit at the park and enforce the rule) and as of recently you have to pay for a park pass. I just drive to Norfolk, a neighboring city 20-30 minutes away from me, and skate the park there since it's helmet-free and you don't have to pay to skate.

Cops are pretty zealous about skating; I think because of the low crime rate they don't have too much to do.

Traffic in the Hampton Roads area in general blows, especially in the summer.

Speaking of summer, it gets really hot and humid. I remember one time I was skating a spot at night last summer around July and it was 95 degrees. At 10:00 PM. Fuck that.

Not much of a club guy, but the night life is pretty shitty from what I hear. There are some cool bars though.

Everybody and their brother skates, surfs, both, or adopts the look. As a result the skate scene can be really clique-y. Shit's like high school sometimes, it's embarrassing.

All that being said, it's not all bad. There are definitely some cool people who skate in VB, living close to a nice beach is rad, and the winters are VERY mild compared to the rest of Virginia. DC, Richmond, and parts of NC are all within a few hours driving distance, providing a good amount of close options for filming trips.

I personally was not a fan growing up skating there.I guess there are some similarities to Cali though haha. Traffic, mild winters, and a dominant skate/surf culture.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 01:43:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For the love of God, don't go to KFC and think that's what it tastes like!  It's worth the trip.
Don't worry. I wasn't planning on getting their "spicy" chicken tenders.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 01:45:38 PM »
Fuck right off about the food in Spain. They are world renowned for just about everything

Grampa

• Rep: 151
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 02:53:43 PM »
California sucks and I highly support everyone leaving so that I can easily afford to once again reside where I was born.   ;)

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 07:58:40 PM »

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 08:28:20 PM »
the east coast of australia. shitter beer, better surf and more skateparks.

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 08:51:48 AM »
It's not a state and I'm a total biased homer but the only comparable skate mecca is Vancouver BC. In terms of talent level, affordability, and the plethora of skateparks everywhere

Police are pretty 'lax in BC and there's tons to do if you can't skate. Good weather, solid beaches, and 1$ pizza slices.

I've never been, but I don't believe you. Lived near Seattle for a while and the falls/winters/springs suck. It really does rain nearly every day for like 8 months of the year. You could only skate one of two packed indoor parks consistently. Consequentially, theres not really a huge amount of talent. There were some guys who were really really good, but not many.

Went to Colorado and was blown away by the skill level. Tricks I'd rarely see at Seattle parks are dudes' warm ups. Friends in Colorado tell me Coloradans suck compared to Californians.

But maybe Vancouver is different idk. Just doesn't seem likely

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 10:41:34 AM »
None.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 10:23:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've never been, but I don't believe you. Lived near Seattle for a while and the falls/winters/springs suck. It really does rain nearly every day for like 8 months of the year. You could only skate one of two packed indoor parks consistently. Consequentially, theres not really a huge amount of talent. There were some guys who were really really good, but not many.

Went to Colorado and was blown away by the skill level. Tricks I'd rarely see at Seattle parks are dudes' warm ups. Friends in Colorado tell me Coloradans suck compared to Californians.

But maybe Vancouver is different idk. Just doesn't seem likely

Living near Seattle is not like living in Seattle. The weather is way worse outside of town. Not to say it isn't damp during the winter but ain't no 8 months of solid rain. A lot of good skaters live in and around Seattle, peep any of the 35th Ave All City Showdowns. Also: Cory Kennedy (Lake Stevens, WA), David Gravette (Issaquah, WA).

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 07:21:08 AM »
I live in Boston and I like to think that we're like a smaller, better California that's nothing like California.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 07:48:54 PM »

Nashville is pretty much that way now too.  The last stat I saw said 80+ people per day are moving here.  It's insane!  The tech industry is booming.  I'm an electronics tech and have a job I love, yet I get calls monthly from head hunters with job offers and I'm not even looking!  The skate scene is really solid.  There are tons of parks in and around the area.  Plus downtown is always a hot spot.  Also the weather is very similar to Austin.  HOT in late summer and winters aren't terrible.  Most of the year it's comfortable.  Also, with the music industry so big here, bands are leaving LA for Nashville in droves.  They can record here and live a rather normal life without all the paparazzi on them constantly.  People here are used to seeing celebrities daily and leave them alone.  My wife works in the music business and I've seen the insanity involved.  

Seriously though, if you've never been to Nashville, I highly recommend checking it out.  Also there are a few Skate companies here.  Low Budget Skateboards makes really good decks and have some cool designs.  Salemtown Board Co. is here in town and have been featured on several shows.  They give jobs to inter city kids and make everything from cruisers and long boards to some actually really solid Popsicle style decks.  Plus there's Franklin Skate shop just out of town that's owned by Donny Myhre.  He was a pro for Zorlac back in the day.  He's 51 and still shredding.  He gives skate lessons, takes local kids on field trips to skateparks in nearby states and helps design and build local parks in the area.  I can't speak for the rest of Tennessee, but Nashville has a strong skate scene.

Not trying to be a dick but I lived in Nashville for a year and thought the skate scene was pretty much god awful. Also found the wannabe rock stars and scenesters insufferable. Tons of "punk" looking twenty somethings who want to look like they skate but don't. My brother is a moderately successful career musician who has lived there for nearly 20 years and is pretty much an insufferable narcissist like most people I encountered there.  Not sure what you mean by "tons" of parks. I remember the one mediocre park (Two Rivers), and the slick ass indoor park run by Evangelical Christians. Then there was one in Franklin like 30-40 minutes away.  Almost NEVER saw street skaters and felt like an alien when I did street skate by the general public.

As far as the original topic, I'd def go with Colorado, where I also formally lived, or at least Denver. It's usually sunny, you can pretty much skate year round, the skaters rip, stays pretty dry, and there are world class skateparks in literally every town. It's also expensive as fuck like California.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:00:36 PM by QUIT SINNIN »

Elderly Gentleman

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »
Expand Quote

Nashville is pretty much that way now too.  The last stat I saw said 80+ people per day are moving here.  It's insane!  The tech industry is booming.  I'm an electronics tech and have a job I love, yet I get calls monthly from head hunters with job offers and I'm not even looking!  The skate scene is really solid.  There are tons of parks in and around the area.  Plus downtown is always a hot spot.  Also the weather is very similar to Austin.  HOT in late summer and winters aren't terrible.  Most of the year it's comfortable.  Also, with the music industry so big here, bands are leaving LA for Nashville in droves.  They can record here and live a rather normal life without all the paparazzi on them constantly.  People here are used to seeing celebrities daily and leave them alone.  My wife works in the music business and I've seen the insanity involved.  

Seriously though, if you've never been to Nashville, I highly recommend checking it out.  Also there are a few Skate companies here.  Low Budget Skateboards makes really good decks and have some cool designs.  Salemtown Board Co. is here in town and have been featured on several shows.  They give jobs to inter city kids and make everything from cruisers and long boards to some actually really solid Popsicle style decks.  Plus there's Franklin Skate shop just out of town that's owned by Donny Myhre.  He was a pro for Zorlac back in the day.  He's 51 and still shredding.  He gives skate lessons, takes local kids on field trips to skateparks in nearby states and helps design and build local parks in the area.  I can't speak for the rest of Tennessee, but Nashville has a strong skate scene.
[close]

Not trying to be a dick but I lived in Nashville for a year and thought the skate scene was pretty much god awful. Also found the wannabe rock stars and scenesters insufferable. Tons of "punk" looking twenty somethings who want to look like they skate but don't. My brother is a moderately successful career musician who has lived there for nearly 20 years and is pretty much an insufferable narcissist like most people I encountered there.  Not sure what you mean by "tons" of parks. I remember the one mediocre park (Two Rivers), and the slick ass indoor park run by Evangelical Christians. Then there was one in Franklin like 30-40 minutes away.  Almost NEVER saw street skaters and felt like an alien when I did street skate by the general public.

As far as the original topic, I'd def go with Colorado, where I also formally lived, or at least Denver. It's usually sunny, you can pretty much skate year round, the skaters rip, stays pretty dry, and there are world class skateparks in literally every town. It's also expensive as fuck like California.

I do understand the point about narcissist musicians, scenesters and wanna be punks in this town.  Kind of goes with the territory; but since I've started skating again, I haven't had any issues or hassles with anyone.  I don't care how you dress or what kind of music you listen to or if you're a true core skater or just kind of a poseur.  If you're friendly to me, I'm friendly to you.  So far I haven't seen any drama at all.  I've stood there and watched the toughest looking 20 something punk skate rat high five a little preppy kid who just learned to drop in and then teach him rock to fakie.  Maybe he's just a wanna be, but it was still cool to see.   
  You are right about 6th Ave skatepark (or slick Ave as we call it!  It might as well be covered in ice!).  Two rivers is cool.  They finally fixed the coping on the big bowl where it had broken.  The parks around are pretty spread out.  It's not a short trip from one to the other, and the one I frequent most is a YMCA so you have to be a member or pay $10 for an all day pass.  It may not be as nice to somewhere else.  Then again, I'm a 40 year old kook who's not that good anyway.  I just love to skate.   I grew up in a small town that had nothing.  No park and not a lot of street spots.  I had a mini half in my back yard.  We street skated the few spots around town but cops would always hassle us so this place seems like heaven.  Within a 20-30 min drive of downtown Nashville, there's Two Rivers, 6th Ave, Gallatin Skate Park, Brentwood YMCA Skatepark (awesome wooden bowl and 12' vert ramp), Franklin Skatepark, and Spring Hill Skatepark.  Also there's the Briley ditch, the mini half at Franklin Skateshop, and all of downtown (granted cops hassle skaters around downtown).   I'm sure I'm leaving out one or two more places.   True, you aren't going to just skate from one spot to the other, but there are lots of options. 

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 07:48:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I do understand the point about narcissist musicians, scenesters and wanna be punks in this town.  Kind of goes with the territory; but since I've started skating again, I haven't had any issues or hassles with anyone.  I don't care how you dress or what kind of music you listen to or if you're a true core skater or just kind of a poseur.  If you're friendly to me, I'm friendly to you.  So far I haven't seen any drama at all.  I've stood there and watched the toughest looking 20 something punk skate rat high five a little preppy kid who just learned to drop in and then teach him rock to fakie.  Maybe he's just a wanna be, but it was still cool to see.   
  You are right about 6th Ave skatepark (or slick Ave as we call it!  It might as well be covered in ice!).  Two rivers is cool.  They finally fixed the coping on the big bowl where it had broken.  The parks around are pretty spread out.  It's not a short trip from one to the other, and the one I frequent most is a YMCA so you have to be a member or pay $10 for an all day pass.  It may not be as nice to somewhere else.  Then again, I'm a 40 year old kook who's not that good anyway.  I just love to skate.   I grew up in a small town that had nothing.  No park and not a lot of street spots.  I had a mini half in my back yard.  We street skated the few spots around town but cops would always hassle us so this place seems like heaven.  Within a 20-30 min drive of downtown Nashville, there's Two Rivers, 6th Ave, Gallatin Skate Park, Brentwood YMCA Skatepark (awesome wooden bowl and 12' vert ramp), Franklin Skatepark, and Spring Hill Skatepark.  Also there's the Briley ditch, the mini half at Franklin Skateshop, and all of downtown (granted cops hassle skaters around downtown).   I'm sure I'm leaving out one or two more places.   True, you aren't going to just skate from one spot to the other, but there are lots of options. 

don't get me wrong. there was a lot of really cool aspects of nashville and i met a lot of rad skaters. i am a bit bitter if you cant tell because i found it hard to make friends if you weren't a "cool" musician. i was just a regular dude. i miss Prince's like crazy but luckily my wife figured out a similar recipe. the music scene there was world class and ironically i got back into skating while living there after an 8 year hiatus.