Author Topic: RIP Dylan Reider  (Read 124430 times)

Changes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -220
  • #NeverForget
Re: RIP Dylan Reider
« Reply #180 on: October 13, 2016, 06:03:40 PM »
http://people.com/sports/dylan-rieder-just-wanted-his-life-back-before-dying/

Holy fuck man I'm crying, all the healing crystals next to his bed too man, fuck

“I walked over and gave him a kiss on the forehead and pulled his eyelids down and said ‘See you at the next one buddy.’ ”

« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:05:25 PM by Changes »

jomeara1

« Reply #181 on: October 13, 2016, 06:12:28 PM »
^ That's so heavy  :'(.  At least he enjoyed himself his last few weeks.  How many people can say they chilled at Ozzy's beach house in their life time??

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
« Reply #182 on: October 13, 2016, 06:17:08 PM »
holy fuck I'm going to cry. That was the saddest thing I've read. Too much man...too much.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

HeadInLionsMouth

• Rep: 142
« Reply #183 on: October 13, 2016, 06:33:18 PM »
I'm gutted, but I can't stop re-watching everything he's been a part of.

I hope Huf keeps making Dylan's shoe and donates the proceeds from the sales to cancer research or the bone marrow donor program

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #184 on: October 13, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
?I walked over and gave him a kiss on the forehead and pulled his eyelids down and said ?See you at the next one buddy.? ?
:'( What the fuck, that killed me. I think my next board is gonna be the FA Dylan, throw some rails on to save the graphic then skate the hell out of it.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #185 on: October 13, 2016, 06:57:48 PM »
It's crazy because this all started as a supposed rumor then word got out it was true. People were saying, "get well soon" but it faded out and he even had some clips come out. I figured with all that having gone silent he was on a steady road to recovery. Hearing the news was such a shock.  A friend sent me an FB message that said, "Wow, Dylan. What a bummer" and instantly I knew what that meant. Come to find out that friend's wife treated him at City of Hope.

When I first heard, it didn't sadden me as much as having all social media accounts + my phone flooded texts reminding it happened. Not only had he influenced me personally but he left behind a legacy that will inspire forever. Being a skateboarder, and to my friends who skate, it's like if David Bowie died unexpectedly at his peak.  He meant so much to so many.

RIP Dylan

RollingThunder

• Rep: 24

GinosGroceries

« Reply #187 on: October 13, 2016, 07:23:59 PM »
I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I highly encourage everyone to sign up to be in the bone marrow donor registry. Chances are they'll never match you with anyone, but if they do, you could easily save someone's life. All you need to do is send in a cheek swab and they'll keep you in a database in case there is someone in need who can accept your donation. If you do match, they can get a marrow donation the same way they would take a plasma donation (none of the drilling into your hip business anymore).

https://bethematch.org/

This should be on every page.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1397
« Reply #188 on: October 13, 2016, 07:31:15 PM »
He'll always be one of the absolute best.

I hope Huf keeps making Dylan's shoe and donates the proceeds from the sales to cancer research or the bone marrow donor program

That's a great idea, I hope so.

tiltmode43

• Rep: 1
« Reply #189 on: October 13, 2016, 08:16:58 PM »
Pretty crazy. Every morning I check BBC news for US/Canada & world news. This was in the headlines of the fucking BBC news:

I've been following this thread since the news broke yesterday but reading that People article has me tripping out a bit. I live in Newport Beach across the street from an Airbnb house. Not long ago I was walking by my place and I saw who I thought looked like Dylan at the Airbnb house. The dude looked just like him. He broke out a laptop with a big sticker on the back of it and was chilling on the porch. He glanced up and gave me a cool head nod & whtsup, which I returned. The guy had that same Dylan grin, he just looked so familiar. I passed him off as a look-alike though, remembering the 'get well' thread here, and assumed he was in the hospital. Reading the People article, it says he visited Newport Beach in recent times and his laptop had a big sticker on the back. Did I really cross paths with a super chill Dylan. and not realize it, not long before his passing? I'll never know, but may always wonder. I've got maybe 4 pairs of various Gravis Dylan shoes and 2 pairs of his jeans, I'm sure I'll think about it every time I wear one.

RIP Dylan. Condolences to family and friends.

I'll be mailing a check in to the hospital in his honor, per his family's request.
Quote from: Frank
busenitz skating so fast as if he was on the autobahn

Nelson Muntz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2016, 08:46:34 PM »
I am still in shock.  I was busy at work today and was focused on what i was doing but every now and then I would get this sudden thought that Dylan Rieder is no longer on this earth.....its very unsettling.  Such a strange but beautiful thing that we as skateboarders form a bond with people we typically don't even know personally. 

Death is always one of those things that opens up your eyes and checks you back into reality.  I have lately been dealing with some personal issues and life stressors but in the big picture if you take a step back they really aren't shit.  Appreciate your time here.

Sorry for the emotional rant

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #191 on: October 13, 2016, 09:02:41 PM »
From AO:

Dylan... you were someone I always admired and looked up too.
The way you held yourself. The way you could walk into a room, and everything felt still, Just for that very moment.
Your power,Your energy,your style,your charm and smile.
You taught me so much without every saying a word.
Your actions taught us, how to be ourself, how not to care of other opinions.
To be strong and focused
To follow our dreams and passions.
To have independents and be an individual.
Someone that isn't afraid to blazed his own trail.

You always inspired with effortlessness.
You left one the most memorable legacy. For the future generations to come,
they'll always remember you, and your gift you crafted.

I had some of the best times with you and learned so much along the way. Thank you for everything
You were my favorite, for just being you.
I love you and I'll miss you deeply! 💙

TEMP-GNAR

« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2016, 09:19:23 PM »
Dylan is the epitome of cool. He transcended skateboarding and the culture within it. A selfless, caring, and loving human being that had limitless talents in several aspects of his life. Dylan oozed style on and off the board. This generation's superhero left an impact on our community that we all are proud to have been a part of. He lived his life the right way. Although his time was short, he lived a thousand lifetimes. Here's to one of the greats and thanks to him we all know that the impossible is possible. RIP sweet prince, your spirit will live on as long as there is skateboarding.

too much

« Reply #193 on: October 13, 2016, 09:44:45 PM »
I am still in shock.� I was busy at work today and was focused on what i was doing but every now and then I would get this sudden thought that Dylan Rieder is no longer on this earth.....its very unsettling.

I wanted to write something very similar and couldn't figure it out, you wrote it perfectly. It's difficult to fathom he's gone, his impact was so legendary. His spirit is still with us in a big way and will always be...He was literally your favorite skater's favorite skater for years...and probably continue to be forever. I feel sorry for his friends and family, I hope them the best.

Nate

• Rep: 41
« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2016, 10:53:58 PM »

Now on my wall.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:14:29 AM by Nate »

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2016, 11:06:32 PM »
http://people.com/sports/dylan-rieder-just-wanted-his-life-back-before-dying/

Fuuuuck this dude just oozed style. That is the dopest Macbook decal/sticker I have ever seen. I am going to buy for sure. Not to copy him but to honor his memory.

Also, I got a text from my mom saying, "I know you go on "that forum" so you probably know this already,  but I just read on Fox News or CNN (I can't remember which) that pro skateborder Dylan Rieder passed away."  Then she texted me if he was the one that always skated in wedding shoes. Fuck I love my Mom lol.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2016, 11:40:51 PM »
I have his first FA deck hanging up in the wall of my kitchen. Stared at it today and almost choked up. I think Dylan should always have a pro model out because his influence will be just as strong for a long time to come. Maybe have proceeds benefit the cancer hospital or a leukemia research fund.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 11:43:23 PM by camel filters »

zuma

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #197 on: October 14, 2016, 01:12:52 AM »
when people die i always tend to think that in that moment somewhere they re reborn and it s all good... rip mr reider nothing but respect

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2016, 01:15:19 AM »
RIP

When Dylan and Austyn just got on HUF, the tour videos got me stoked, because I knew there always be something good from Dylan, going super fast, popping neck high flip tricks, sliding and grinding difficult ledges.

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2016, 02:09:53 AM »
I'm gutted, but I can't stop re-watching everything he's been a part of.

FA should do the same.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #200 on: October 14, 2016, 02:17:06 AM »
I am still in shock.� I was busy at work today and was focused on what i was doing but every now and then I would get this sudden thought that Dylan Rieder is no longer on this earth.....its very unsettling.�

This exactly. I just had dinner, was chilling out, having a wine and then just as you say the thought hits you that he has passed and its just...... I don't know I guess I'm just finding the thought to be very surreal. The rumours had been around for a while and I just assumed then, that if the rumours were true he would be fine because he was still young and had so much. I can't get passed it.

He was amazing, skate on.        

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2016, 03:09:48 AM »
Not going to lie, I'm a 34 year old dude and I cried when I heard it and I'm tearing up while I write this. And I never even met him.
Just the day before I got the news that a befriended couple's 2-year old girl has leukemia as well.
2 years old, which is... I can't even try to explain how sad that is.

Cancer is just something that comes way to close way too much. My mom had it when she was pregnant, I had it as a kid, mom got it again, my two grandfathers died of it, my grand ma has it right now... and since I'm producing cysts on the daily I'm 100% sure I'll get it again as well...

I was one Facebook trying to scroll through some messages. I was selling boards when a friend of mine told me the news. I was already in  bed and texted a pro I know (not to brag at all since I barely know 2 personally...) and he confirmed it immediately. I just stared at the ceiling for 10 minutes while my girlfriend asked what was wrong... and I just couldn't take it anymore. I just broke. Such an amazing and talented guy taken out of this world. It was just too much to bare at the moment. And I even wore all black to work as well.

The guy was just himself and it was funny that so many people were trying to emulate and copy him. He was this generation's MUSKA or Hosoi. The guy that everyone wants to be, oozes coolness and style, but no one comes (or came) even close. He literally had it all, the looks, the style, the hair, the talent, the attitude and even after skating I'm pretty sure he would have made it big in the fashion or music industry.

You were one of the best to ever do it. And most certainly the most stylish...

R.I.P.

louie the taurus

• Rep: -119
« Reply #202 on: October 14, 2016, 03:28:44 AM »
Dylan's passing and all the reactions got me thinking about a thing or two.
So many people who knew him (personally or not) wanted to be like him, even the ones giving him shit.
Many people wanted to have his skating abilities, style and grace, fame and money, taste, looks, hairstyle, way of dressing, the people surrounding him or his life in general, where he seemingly got to experience rad stuff all the time. I'm probably one of these people to a certain extent.

Who wanted to have the life Dylan had had in the last two years, though?
We often forget that e v e r y person, especially public figures, have rough patches to deal with as well. Instead they get idolized and admired, they seem untouchable. Dylan seemed fucking untouchable, also to me.
He wasn't. No one is.
We may never be like Dylan or have his abilities on or off the board, but can make the best of his passing. It can be the classic hypocritical mourning on social media and going back to normal like nothing has happened. It can also be seen as food for thought.
Life's too fucking short to try to copy someone or live someone else's dream. Dylan seemed to have that sorted out.

That being said, i have never met him, but think he's one of a kind and a fucking incomparable superstar. I've been following his path for a while now. The only pro's board on my wall is his.

R.I.P. you legend

BTW. Is the "ie" vs. "ei" really that difficult for many guys? I think I've seen his name spelled wrong just as often as correctly.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:33:18 AM by louie the taurus »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #203 on: October 14, 2016, 04:13:12 AM »

Speedway

• Rep: 110
« Reply #204 on: October 14, 2016, 04:14:40 AM »
Stayed up until 3am on Wednesday just refreshing Instagram and reading everyone's tributes. Tried skating to shop from my house for a beer and my legs just felt loose. Spent the whole next day in a complete fucking daze. Even one of my lecturers at university had heard about so I tried explaining who he was. Deepest thoughts go out to his family and friends like Oblow, Arto, AVE, Greg Hunt and so on. Cant imagine how awful it must have been to witness their little buddy grow into this amazing, idolised person and then be taken away like this. Put this up on my site yesterday, I thought it was pretty silly to feel this way about someone who I had never met dying but after reading everyone's comments here that thought doesn't feel so unreasonable anymore and wanted to share it here too:

To mourn the passing of an individual you have never met is a confusing feeling. We grow up idolising professional skateboarders. We aspire to do the tricks they do, dress the way they dress, support the brands that support them, acquire their taste in music and so much more.

They influence not just skateboarding but every aspect of our lives. Even into adulthood, they are superheroes who dust themselves off after the hardest falls and keep fighting. They bleed yet at the same time they�re invincible; they are one of us but what we aspire to be. It feels like they will always be there, always making you want to run out the door and ride your skateboard.

We saw Dylan as a kid in Subject to Change, witnessed his style mature in A Time To Shine, battle his demons throughout adolescence during the era of Mind Field � to then emerge in his eponymous video dylan. as the stylish skateboarder we adore. When Dylan seemed to almost disappear from skateboarding, shortly after his outstanding part in cherry, frightening whispers began to circulate which have regrettably proved more than rumour. It is harrowing that such a unique individual has been taken at such a young age.

Cuffed black jeans, slip-ons, ripped t-shirt, leather jacket, slicked-back hair, rings, necklace, tattoos� Dylan had a style so instantly recognisable, so widely imitated but still inimitable, so effortlessly cool; like skateboarding�s answer to James Dean and it is a tragedy their comparison extends to this sad conclusion.

Power and finesse comparable to none and inspired a generation with pure nonchalance whenever he stepped on a skateboard, popped an impossible, and with every single push. Dylan Rieder�s legacy is an enduring reminder that less is more.

"I'm never gonna know you now, but I'm gonna love you anyhow."

- Waltz #2, Elliott Smith

Rest in peace, you handsome devil.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:17:55 AM by Speedway »

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #205 on: October 14, 2016, 04:19:18 AM »
So sad. Him, his family and friends have been constantly on my mind since they told the news. RIP.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:17:10 AM by Garth Marenghi »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #206 on: October 14, 2016, 04:38:43 AM »
That people magazine article is so heavy. Being the same age as him i was really stunned on the news, more so on how young he was and how like the article says was fighting for 2 years in private. Something so tragic like this should encourage people to not take a single day on this earth for granted. RIP Dylan  :'(

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #207 on: October 14, 2016, 05:52:44 AM »
As I believe Soda Jerk once said, like skateboarding's Helen of Troy he was the "man who cuffed a thousand pants" Mad love, respect and sympathy for all those effected by this. Absolute legend.

Chipper

• Rep: 14
« Reply #208 on: October 14, 2016, 06:05:25 AM »
I can't believe I'm just finding out about this now. I'm taking a few days off work. I lost my sister in law just a month ago to leukemia this year. It hits hard. R.I.P Dylan and fuck cancer.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #209 on: October 14, 2016, 06:56:17 AM »
Dylan Rieder was one of those people who truly walked in the light. And he'll forever remain in the hearts of those who know how fucking beautiful it feels to have a skateboard under your feet and the happiness that it brings.
Cancer has hurt so many people I love these past few years - SLAP, hug your friends and tell them you love them.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:00:53 AM by AsianVegan »