Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102522 times)

Marsellus Wallace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Does the new OS for Macs no longer support MiniDV? I updated to macOS Monterey 12.3.1 last night and can no longer find my VX in the import section of final cut. Anyone having similar problems or anyone with a fix? My cables are all fine and the camera is in good condition so I'm assuming apple has dropped support for these cameras? If so, that's a massive bummer :/
thats an common issue with monterey 12.3. - the mac doesn´t detect the camcorder as camcorder.
already contacted the support and it seems that they solved the problem with the newest update (monterey 12.4.)
Haven´t tried it yet

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
Expand Quote
Does the new OS for Macs no longer support MiniDV? I updated to macOS Monterey 12.3.1 last night and can no longer find my VX in the import section of final cut. Anyone having similar problems or anyone with a fix? My cables are all fine and the camera is in good condition so I'm assuming apple has dropped support for these cameras? If so, that's a massive bummer :/
[close]
thats an common issue with monterey 12.3. - the mac doesn´t detect the camcorder as camcorder.
already contacted the support and it seems that they solved the problem with the newest update (monterey 12.4.)
Haven´t tried it yet

Confirmed. Tried this last night and it does work. Still has some glitchiness and the process isn't perfect (for me, audio kept getting out of sync when importing), but it works.
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

TeethInc.

• Rep: 5
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Haven´t tried it yet
[close]

Confirmed. Tried this last night and it does work. Still has some glitchiness and the process isn't perfect (for me, audio kept getting out of sync when importing), but it works.

I'll have to try update to 12.4 at some point then. Pain in the ass that Mac aren't supporting MiniDV too great.

Ziggy Schaap

• Rep: 3
I've been capturing with Lifeflix ever since I updated my mac cuz my DN60 wouldnt work with premiere, final cut or any other NLE, seems like the only option here
@karaokeskate / karaokeskate.com

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Anyone ever had an issue where they fire up their VX1, the viewfinder briefly shows white with a few purple lines briefly before dying?

Mine has done it after a day of filming and it won't fire up now. I think something must be shorting inside of it, does it with every battery I tried and plugging it in via the mains supply.

EDIT: I also remember on the back door screen it shown the usual battery icon, but had a 'O' randomly displayed on it? I see if I can get a photo later, if it does let me fire it back up.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 03:34:03 AM by pedro_mayn »
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

TomCruz

Anyone ever had an issue where they fire up their VX1, the viewfinder briefly shows white with a few purple lines briefly before dying?

Mine has done it after a day of filming and it won't fire up now. I think something must be shorting inside of it, does it with every battery I tried and plugging it in via the mains supply.

EDIT: I also remember on the back door screen it shown the usual battery icon, but had a 'O' randomly displayed on it? I see if I can get a photo later, if it does let me fire it back up.

I have seen it before but usually the camera will not work.  I can't remember if it's the main circuit board or the outside circuit board (I would start with the outer board first)   Consider your self on borrowed time, before needing repairs.

bataaard

• Rep: 40

is your viewfinder is fully dead ?
-> could be the viewfinder ribbon cable

does your viewfinder shows a white screen but still some infos like aperture for example ?
-> could be the cable linking the front element of the vx to one of the boards (on the right side of the vx), or the video board itself

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote

[close]

does your viewfinder shows a white screen but still some infos like aperture for example ?
-> could be the cable linking the front element of the vx to one of the boards (on the right side of the vx), or the video board itself

Just found out what could be causing the issue, as it seems to come on and off after testing again by moving the camera. It turns out it could be main board.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

TomCruz

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Just found out what could be causing the issue, as it seems to come on and off after testing again by moving the camera. It turns out it could be main board.

If you tap the record button side hard enough does it happen? 

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It definitely helped bringing it back on, then moving it around would mean it would blip on and off, yep.

TomCruz

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It definitely helped bringing it back on, then moving it around would mean it would blip on and off, yep.

I am guessing it's the outside circuit board then and not the main board. 

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Since this one isn't my main one and I do have a spares 'n repairs VX1 laying about I could try to fix it. Depends on how much a faff it is.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
Are any of you still using tapes or have you mostly switched over to external recording devices?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

TomCruz

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Since this one isn't my main one and I do have a spares 'n repairs VX1 laying about I could try to fix it. Depends on how much a faff it is.

That is a fairly easy fix.  If you want when the time comes shoot me a pm and I can walk you through it. 

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That is a fairly easy fix.  If you want when the time comes shoot me a pm and I can walk you through it.

Safe G, will do once I get time to take it apart!

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Are any of you still using tapes or have you mostly switched over to external recording devices?

Yeah, on the MRC1 now and totally glad I did. No tapes to worry about, no heads playing up or nothing.

bataaard

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

from what you're saying, it's the cable between the front element and video board that is loose.
check on youtube how to open the camera
then unplug, and replug the cable i circled in blue (see image attached to this message).

pedro_mayn

• 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

from what you're saying, it's the cable between the front element and video board that is loose.
check on youtube how to open the camera
then unplug, and replug the cable i circled in blue (see image attached to this message).

Thanks mate - might take a look over this weekend, if it's relatively simple then I could just ensure the camera is fine for use again after doing this.

TeethInc.

• Rep: 5

Still using tapes over here. Probably should invest in a capture device or something but that'll have to wait til I get a fisheye sorted. From what I've seen they're worth the investment.

Olympus Mons

• VX1000
Yep, still rocking tapes.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Wonder how fast/if they will have an amount you can buy.

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
I can't believe they are selling those for $1600 i fucked myself so hard by buying one last year for $2000

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

doyle

• Rep: 210
It hasn't been mentioned in any posts, but there'll be a second wave of lenses for sale as well. Assuming it'll be split half and half with 150 dropping tomorrow and 150 another day, but who knows.

bataaard

this wave was sold out in 1minute. 60 seconds. It must be bots and/or they didn't limit the amount you can buy.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
I really hope they made a limit on how many you could buy. Sold out within 60 seconds? They know people want these lenses, I sure hope they decide to just make a mass production.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
I really hope they made a limit on how many you could buy. Sold out within 60 seconds? They know people want these lenses, I sure hope they decide to just make a mass production.

I agree, I know the lenses are in demand, but it's hard to imagine there are THAT many people clamoring to spend $1600 on a lens for an SD camera that want to actually use it and not just resell it.

Olympus Mons

• VX1000
I was on the buymk1 site at 12:00:00 EST exactly, immediately clicked buy it now (probably took ~10 seconds all together). Used PayPal so it was even quicker, then got told the item was removed from my cart lol

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
I was on the buymk1 site at 12:00:00 EST exactly, immediately clicked buy it now (probably took ~10 seconds all together). Used PayPal so it was even quicker, then got told the item was removed from my cart lol

that's fucked, definitely bots. I was on the site too the second it opened, but was hoping for a screw mount version. Kinda surprised there isn't more demand for the threaded ones.