Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102551 times)

pedro_mayn and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

doyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Got one somehow. International buyers had to DM them and fill out a form agreeing to pay customs fees and whatever shipping costs. Did that, checked the site, it was sold out, but they responded to DM saying I got one.

Like I said before, they mentioned that there'll be a second wave for sale at some point so fingers crossed it doesn't sell out as quick.

bataaard

• Rep: 40
Expand Quote
I was on the buymk1 site at 12:00:00 EST exactly, immediately clicked buy it now (probably took ~10 seconds all together). Used PayPal so it was even quicker, then got told the item was removed from my cart lol
[close]

that's fucked, definitely bots. I was on the site too the second it opened, but was hoping for a screw mount version. Kinda surprised there isn't more demand for the threaded ones.

The vx_fisheye_sales ring ( https://sk8mmllc.myshopify.com/products/universal-mk1-fisheye-adapter ) converts any bayo mk1 to screw mount.
I had a screw mount mk1 before, and it's the exact same amount of vignetting with the ring.
It could be an option if you can't find a screw mount version.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
Was not able to acquire either :(
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
If they were sold out mainly to scalpers, we'll know about it soon enough if we see an uptick in new MK1s on eBay or whatever platform. They could try to sell them one at a time to keep the demand/ price up but we'll see by the sellers history. I can't imagine that many people still film in SD and were willing to drop $1.6k on the lens when Optekas are a good enough option for most people.

I was tempted to buy one too but I just don't film that often anymore. I brought out the vx maybe twice in the last 3 years.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
What did the original Century Mk1 retail for?

$1600 seems insane.

Congrats to anyone that got one. i hope they do many more runs so this resale market chills out.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
What did the original Century Mk1 retail for?

I bought mine from Schneider in 2014ish, it was $995 or something similar.

doyle

I think original retail was around 750-850 USD until the mid 2010s.

$1600 is certainly insane but it's honestly not quite as bad as I expected. I sold a scratched MK1 for $900ish a few months ago so I can just tell myself that money can be used to cut the price of this new one back to normal.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
I think original retail was around 750-850 USD until the mid 2010s.

$1600 is certainly insane but it's honestly not quite as bad as I expected. I sold a scratched MK1 for $900ish a few months ago so I can just tell myself that money can be used to cut the price of this new one back to normal.

Pretty sure I got mine in 2014 and it was from B&H For 850

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Take me back to the days when I found new ones for £500 all in all from a German camera place on eBay, when that was 'expensive' for one.

Had scratched the one I bought for a fair wack and I'm not doing it again haha.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

donkey

• Rep: -65
  • donk
vx_fisheye_sales definitely scalped literally all of those mk1s and is going to sell them at $2100 a pop fuck that guy. if i was really mean i would reveal who that guy is but im not gonna knock his hustle too hard

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
vx_fisheye_sales definitely scalped literally all of those mk1s and is going to sell them at $2100 a pop fuck that guy. if i was really mean i would reveal who that guy is but im not gonna knock his hustle too hard

I mean.. if you know who runs the vx_fisheye_sales account, then you know who runs the buy_mk1 account lol. It's the same person.
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

Why am I not surprised?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

Same dude as vx market?

Olympus Mons

• Rep: 10
  • VX1000
Expand Quote
[close]

Same dude as vx market?

Not the same dude as VX market.
Is there any money in skateboarding film anymore?
I dunno about money, but the fun is boomin.

bataaard

• Rep: 40
i think its deathlens fisheye sales that is linked to buy_mk1.
the launch was on the 2 websites at the same time.

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal

I'm curious about this too. Same batch of 300, same launch time, but 2 separate entities? How does that work?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Same dude as vx market?
[close]

Not the same dude as VX market.

good. That dudes a dork

donkey

• donk
yeah nah this is correct. vx fisheye sales is the other dude and he is the one scalping and selling rebranded optekas. idk who "vx market" is

Expand Quote
[close]

I'm curious about this too. Same batch of 300, same launch time, but 2 separate entities? How does that work?
i think he was just the one working with schneider to release them and made a separate page for the sale

Not A Damn Chance

• Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
Aren’t the O’Shea brothers behind this? I’ve heard them doing shiesty shit in the past.

I remember way back they used to be $695 on Adorama.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Aren’t the O’Shea brothers behind this? I’ve heard them doing shiesty shit in the past.

Oh shit. Know I remember!

donkey

• donk

bingo

Garth Marenghi

Keeping the culture alive by making a profit! Love the O'sheas.

doyle

Does anyone know for sure that the O'Sheas run Deathlens Fisheye Sales and/or Buy Mk1? I thought their only involvement was that they'd started the petition.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
I forgot them az boys were behind that/those accounts

killd0zer

• Rep: 0
Are you guys using tadashi filters on your mk1s nowadays or are they not very good/not worth it

Garth Marenghi

Are you guys using tadashi filters on your mk1s nowadays or are they not very good/not worth it
Nope, the lens flare looks terrible. Probably should but mine's already slightly scratched so..

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]
Nope, the lens flare looks terrible. Probably should but mine's already slightly scratched so..

Agreed. Weird flare on the perimeter, and the plastic is hard to keep dust free. Sometimes it’s ok but if direct sunlight hits the lens it’s hard to get a clean image.

Garth Marenghi

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Agreed. Weird flare on the perimeter, and the plastic is hard to keep dust free. Sometimes it’s ok but if direct sunlight hits the lens it’s hard to get a clean image.

And it's so rare to be able to control the direction of sunlight. Not sure how great it would look during nighttime/with a video light, either.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO

I swear for a while they would attract all the little bits of dust from Wales to the Moon, but the one I've been using recently has been pretty good for remaining dust free and is a life saver.

You do get some weird glares on the sides, but I've never had anything really get in the way of the footy. Plus fuck paying Mk1 prices when shit gets broken, so I'll take one or two downsides for rocking a cover.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

donkey

• donk

the lens is simply too expensive not to have that form of insurance on it