Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 326022 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #2820 on: February 14, 2021, 06:23:14 AM »
OJ Elite Hardline 99A or 101A. Want 99A for the grip and the smoothness, but worried that the 101A could be significantly faster. What's the pro choice?
F4
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2821 on: February 14, 2021, 09:16:52 AM »
Expand Quote
I have no idea why, maybe just because I’ve been watching a lot of older skate videos, but I’m suddenly really drawn to trying out a pair of és accel og.
[close]

They sell pretty well for a) nostalgia and b) puffy protection. However, if you're used to modern shapes of shoes, they may be kind of tough to skate. have a couple pairs and I had a hard time finding the zone where they "just worked" when I tried skating them. Maybe I needed more time in them and didn't give it. Idk. That might just be me with them. I actually skated better in a Lynx OG than an Accel OG funny enough. I'm a SoleTech dude through and through.

Go for it it if you can try em on first. Some places are selling them at discount prices depending on the size. Ruze shoes, eS website, and some skate shops might have them on sale because of president's day.

I haven’t had any sole tech shoes since I was a kid, but the puffy protection is something I’m getting more and more interested in. Been skating sort of mid level puffy shoes so this is the next progression for me. Thanks for the input!

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 479
« Reply #2822 on: February 14, 2021, 10:06:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have no idea why, maybe just because I’ve been watching a lot of older skate videos, but I’m suddenly really drawn to trying out a pair of és accel og.
[close]

They sell pretty well for a) nostalgia and b) puffy protection. However, if you're used to modern shapes of shoes, they may be kind of tough to skate. have a couple pairs and I had a hard time finding the zone where they "just worked" when I tried skating them. Maybe I needed more time in them and didn't give it. Idk. That might just be me with them. I actually skated better in a Lynx OG than an Accel OG funny enough. I'm a SoleTech dude through and through.

Go for it it if you can try em on first. Some places are selling them at discount prices depending on the size. Ruze shoes, eS website, and some skate shops might have them on sale because of president's day.
[close]

I haven’t had any sole tech shoes since I was a kid, but the puffy protection is something I’m getting more and more interested in. Been skating sort of mid level puffy shoes so this is the next progression for me. Thanks for the input!

No problem! The tongue padding is kind of a lot but nice once broken in from wearing. I like them to chill in currently.
Super Champion Fun Zone

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #2823 on: February 14, 2021, 11:03:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No problem! The tongue padding is kind of a lot but nice once broken in from wearing. I like them to chill in currently.
All said above is valid, I usually have a nostalgia pair on deck for whatever reason.
The shape is kind of wonky now days, very short and wide much like DC's, my toes don't have any extra room in my normal size. Honestly, when I skate them and forget they are Accel's I don't really have any setbacks in my tricks or anything. Just give 'em a sesh or two to soften the soles up.
I've skated much worse shoes that are more expensive and current tech.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 603
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2824 on: February 14, 2021, 12:51:47 PM »
I think about getting a hockey deck. How steep is the concave? I'm looking at a 8.25, which has the perfect length for me. Been on crail, anti hero and aws decks for reference.
IG: @flowterspace

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2825 on: February 14, 2021, 01:33:14 PM »
I think about getting a hockey deck. How steep is the concave? I'm looking at a 8.25, which has the perfect length for me. Been on crail, anti hero and aws decks for reference.

The last FA/Hockey deck I skated felt on the steeper side. I skate mostly antihero/DLX decks and the Hockey would definitely feel a little bit steeper but not really terrible. If you're coming directly from a crail board then it will feel really different. Mine took me a little bit of getting used to and it is one of the few decks I've felt like I had to really "break-in." Haven’t skated any alien boards but from an in hand perspective some of the alien shapes are very similar to FA/Hockey shapes. I definitely would recommend trying one out.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2826 on: February 15, 2021, 12:31:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The last FA/Hockey deck I skated felt on the steeper side. I skate mostly antihero/DLX decks and the Hockey would definitely feel a little bit steeper but not really terrible. If you're coming directly from a crail board then it will feel really different. Mine took me a little bit of getting used to and it is one of the few decks I've felt like I had to really "break-in." Haven’t skated any alien boards but from an in hand perspective some of the alien shapes are very similar to FA/Hockey shapes. I definitely would recommend trying one out.

I always imagine my feet would hurt with steeper concave, don't know why. Will give it a shot if I find a nice hockey. If I don't like it I can still hang it on my wall. So far the aws 8.125 was my holy grail.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2827 on: February 15, 2021, 12:33:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I always imagine my feet would hurt with steeper concave, don't know why. Will give it a shot if I find a nice hockey. If I don't like it I can still hang it on my wall. So far the aws 8.125 I've been riding was my holy grail.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2828 on: February 15, 2021, 09:39:07 PM »
I've been on an 8.25 & occasionally 8.125, usually with longer (closer to 32") and short WB (14-14.125"). Now I'm thinking if I should try a 8.5 again, last time I rode one was post-lockdown and my first session felt horrible. Could be the combination new setup and it was my first session in 2 months, plus I rolled my ankle on that day, so the bad experience lingers.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

If I sized up, I would like to maintain the same dimensions (32 x 14.25).

Edit: not trying to fix any issues, just the usual gear madness creeping in. A buddy of mine recently went from 7.75 to 8.6 and he's in love with it, go figure.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Boog

• Rep: 194
« Reply #2829 on: February 15, 2021, 09:51:53 PM »
I've been on an 8.25 & occasionally 8.125, usually with longer (closer to 32") and short WB (14-14.125"). Now I'm thinking if I should try a 8.5 again, last time I rode one was post-lockdown and my first session felt horrible. Could be the combination new setup and it was my first session in 2 months, plus I rolled my ankle on that day, so the bad experience lingers.

Edit: not trying to fix any issues, just the usual gear madness creeping in. A buddy of mine recently went from 7.75 to 8.6 and he's in love with it, go figure.
I've been rocking with the Real Full SE for about a year and I love it. But that's 32.25 with a 14.38 wb so idk if you'd be interested in trying but they're also now making 8.5x31.8x14.25 which is more of what you're looking for. Fuck it I'd try both.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #2830 on: February 16, 2021, 05:18:04 PM »
I told myself I wouldn't consider a Chocolate deck until they came through with some Evan Hecox graphics again.  Figured it'd be spring/summer.  Lo and behold...

And it's the G045 I want to try.  Maybe if one of my locals has it.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2831 on: February 16, 2021, 05:52:58 PM »

I think that last Ben DG video is a good slap and wake up, in wanting to go up to 8.5 boards.  Maybe have a skate on the mates 8.6 if you can and see, but overall going up is going to be fun for a minute and then you will want to go back to the comfort zone.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2832 on: February 16, 2021, 06:06:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think that last Ben DG video is a good slap and wake up, in wanting to go up to 8.5 boards.  Maybe have a skate on the mates 8.6 if you can and see, but overall going up is going to be fun for a minute and then you will want to go back to the comfort zone.

Yeah dude, I was shopping around for 8.5s, then realized I would have to look at trucks and deal with re-adjusting again and again.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #2833 on: February 17, 2021, 01:11:48 AM »
Thinking about picking up one of those Natas "blind bags" on the 19th. Anybody else hyped on it?

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #2834 on: February 17, 2021, 04:24:12 AM »
That damn Silver tool. I’m convinced I need it.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #2835 on: February 17, 2021, 06:33:14 AM »
For what it’s worth the ratchet works and helps. I’ve used mine so much that until last year the file was smoothed out. I’ve had it for 6 to 8 years, without a regret.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2836 on: February 17, 2021, 07:41:50 AM »
Thinking about picking up one of those Natas "blind bags" on the 19th. Anybody else hyped on it?

They nearly got me sucked in. I have a three Natas boards at the moment. Most of the blind bag series look pretty sick but there's a couple that look terrible. How much are they going for?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2837 on: February 17, 2021, 08:08:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They nearly got me sucked in. I have a three Natas boards at the moment. Most of the blind bag series look pretty sick but there's a couple that look terrible. How much are they going for?
think retail is $89.99

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2838 on: February 17, 2021, 09:46:45 AM »
I'm super tempted but if I got the gold or silver one I'd be pretty bummed. No doubt you could make some scratch on eBay though. Some fools are already selling them.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 457
« Reply #2839 on: February 17, 2021, 10:43:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
think retail is $89.99
Ah I want one as well. This one specifically. I suppose I shouldn't worry, these are probably going to sell out in a couple of minutes.

krookedjuice

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2840 on: February 17, 2021, 10:51:46 AM »

been thinking of picking these up for when the weather gets nice. need something a little more supportive and really like the way these look.

also considering making the switch from Indy to Ace.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2841 on: February 17, 2021, 11:18:00 AM »
I'm trying to get a 70 style plastic board to use in the bowl in Salem and plan to film the hill bomb.

I would like to get maybe a modern version of my first board.

Anyway can anyone point me in the right direction to not buying a penny board.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2842 on: February 17, 2021, 11:52:36 AM »

been thinking of picking these up for when the weather gets nice. need something a little more supportive and really like the way these look.

also considering making the switch from Indy to Ace.
228s are solid. And ace are too. Go for both!

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #2843 on: February 17, 2021, 12:00:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
think retail is $89.99
[close]
Ah I want one as well. This one specifically. I suppose I shouldn't worry, these are probably going to sell out in a couple of minutes.

I'm thinking about them as well..

I don't want one of those pure silver or gold ones. Other than that I'd be happy. Don't know if it's worth the hassle and the vultures are gonna be all over it no doubt.

NHS is the king of gimmicks

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #2844 on: February 17, 2021, 04:50:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
think retail is $89.99
[close]

[close]

I'm thinking about them as well..

I don't want one of those pure silver or gold ones. Other than that I'd be happy. Don't know if it's worth the hassle and the vultures are gonna be all over it no doubt.

NHS is the king of gimmicks

Yeah if I got the silver or gold I think I would just skate it but any other one would go up on the wall for sure

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2845 on: February 17, 2021, 08:16:56 PM »
Talked myself out of the Natas blind bag but I'd love to see what those of you that bite, end up getting. Worse case scenario I bet you can make a little money selling them at a later date. There are going to be some frothy collectors who will want as many as they can get.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #2846 on: February 18, 2021, 10:28:07 AM »
I have a pretty strict  “all riders” policy, but honestly, how are people putting these on eBay before they’re even out? C’mon, NHS. Really just bitter about the pandemic “shortage” of everything.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #2847 on: February 18, 2021, 11:03:19 AM »
I'm trying to get a 70 style plastic board to use in the bowl in Salem and plan to film the hill bomb.

I would like to get maybe a modern version of my first board.

Anyway can anyone point me in the right direction to not buying a penny board.

For a polarizer I recommend just taking an old deck, sketching and cutting out the shape you want with a jigsaw. It feels good to reuse/recycle a neglected deck and to ride your own creation. There’s a polarizer or DIY shape thread if you go back a bit. If you want to just buy something perfect, keep an eye out for Blender’s Heated Wheel drops.

I’ve posted this before, but I took an old Polar, traced a ‘75 G&S to it, modified the trace, cut & sanded and ended up with this. Much fun.

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2848 on: February 18, 2021, 11:05:55 AM »
Hadn't seen these before. Had to snag one.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 852
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2849 on: February 18, 2021, 02:11:54 PM »
wheel madness is in full effect.

riding 55mm classics on venture 6.1s forged and wheelbite hasnt been an issue using indy supersoft bushings @200 ish pounds. i guess my time with rattly thunder forged scared me off of big wheels but venture has a defined wheelbite zone that i can feel and control. pinch on coping and rails was godlike yesterday, unlocked & stood up on some new coping tricks during a fairly light rehab session. speed on transition was scary/sobering but enjoyable. flip tricks are getting popped higher than ever for the size of the deck.

getting some of those 2mm polycarbonate risers from a pal in the mail by this week or next. i think if i can run wheels 3mm bigger than my trucks (52trucks/55wheels) i should be able to handle a 54/58 combo......might be time to wear down my own set of big wheels. that huge contact patch worn down to around 50-53mm would be my jam for nyc streets/sidewalks.

thinking of the f4 58mm og classics or waiting for the 58 conical fulls to come out again.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo