Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324486 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #2790 on: January 24, 2021, 03:03:55 PM »
Waiting for my bday to have an excuse since I don't need more shit but I'm in between Kalis vulc, Shane or GT blazers.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2791 on: January 24, 2021, 05:51:28 PM »
Tryna be good and not buy anything for awhile but then someone had to go and share the good deal on some hard goods at Jack's Garage in the Sale Gear thread... 🙄

Indy Conical 90 duro bushings. Most of my locals have been out of that shape/hardness lately. Also forgot to check when ordering from Jack's Garage Friday night 🤦🏻‍♂️
Super Champion Fun Zone

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2792 on: January 24, 2021, 06:08:14 PM »
Waiting for my bday to have an excuse since I don't need more shit but I'm in between Kalis vulc, Shane or GT blazers.

Just got a pair of gt blazers. Really like them so far. Definitely would recommend

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #2793 on: January 24, 2021, 08:07:09 PM »
New bearings and Nomads or F4 tablets. But kinda leaning towards the nomads. A few decks from sale thread.

Anyone like their nomads? How do they compare to F4s? I’m afraid I’ll buy nomads and they will be to Grippy to slide.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 05:39:38 AM by Murge »

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #2794 on: January 26, 2021, 05:55:35 PM »
49mm Boardy Cakes Princess Cut. Want to try a harder wheel and usually do 51mm...49 sounds fun to try.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #2795 on: January 27, 2021, 08:48:08 AM »
49mm Boardy Cakes Princess Cut. Want to try a harder wheel and usually do 51mm...49 sounds fun to try.

I had a pair. Shape was nice for locking in, thin wheel with a flat edge like a tablet. Unfortunately I flatspotted them after a while but they were nice while they lasted. 49mm is a nice size, I usually get 52s but the 49 didn’t feel too small at all.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #2796 on: January 29, 2021, 12:21:36 AM »
Khiro bushings, tried looking them up and I know I’ve heard good things on here but, confused on the sizing.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2797 on: January 29, 2021, 05:30:31 AM »
Khiro bushings, tried looking them up and I know I’ve heard good things on here but, confused on the sizing.

Are they even still around or are they done?  Thought they were done, but there are a few lots of bushings still here and there in some shops that I just looked up.

They did come in a few options, cylinder, conical and the metal ended conical which I have had and are standard size, but there are others which are specifically for longboards and are TALL in the item description.

Pic of standard bushings and hardness ratings on the various colours, more for reference:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2175/4361/products/khiro-standard-barrel-bushings.jpg

These are just the standard bushing, cylinder shape, pretty much same as Indy, Venture, a touch shorter than Ace, but would still fit in any of those well enough.

If you were putting them in any other truck, they should still fit, but just make sure you have the cylinder sized bottom washer, rather than the smaller conical washer.

*** Note they were always sold as a single truck, so you would need two sets for two trucks (one skateboard) just so you don't get caught out only ordering one.  Almost every other brand on the market has a set of two trucks together.

EDIT:

Found this too (so I would probably go for something I know is still in production):

Khiro Bushings
Khiro has officially stopped production and their products will be harder to find as the days go on. Regardless, this is here for reference if you happen to find Khiro.Oct 4, 2017
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:37:15 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

kimura

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2798 on: January 29, 2021, 06:50:22 AM »
ACE 66 as an alternative to 215’s

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2799 on: January 29, 2021, 06:58:27 AM »
ACE 66 as an alternative to 215’s

They do occupy the gap between 169s and 215s nicely.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2800 on: January 29, 2021, 07:51:28 AM »
Venture 5.6 but I can’t decide which style. Don’t really want to push out my wheelbase too much but I also want to get a nice light truck.

Real wooden risers for the ventures if I do get them.

Ace low bushings. Also would be for the ventures as I’ve heard they work well

Highly highly recommend ace low bushings in ventures, the stock venture bushings are acceptable if you can't find them though.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #2801 on: February 01, 2021, 03:17:56 PM »
https://www.instagram.cocm/p/CKxBzRtBLkB/?igshid=1g482jq6ktvwc

Don't have a single Muska reissue, or a desire for one, but this I'd buy and try to ride.

*Edit
If anyone knows where these are in stock please DM. Shalom

https://embarkskateshop.com/collections/decks/products/baker-x-barry-mcgee-deck-8-125
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 03:24:45 PM by Shifty Flip »

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #2802 on: February 01, 2021, 04:15:41 PM »
I want to buy a slappy/transition/cruiser/fuck-around set up thats a lot bigger than my current whip (8.5, ace 44, 52mm)

Thinking a 9.75" to 10" popsicle-esq deck (krooked gonz, heroin egg, Tired, etc.) with Ace 66 and some softer, bigger wheels maybe like 97d 56mm conicals

I want a nose I could try to do nollie stuff off of, obviously it doesn't have to be a perfect symmetrical popsicle but thats what I'm feelin. Id also like a noticeable board size upgrade, so I want to go more than 1" up in size.

Been lurking the big bios thread but nothing is jumping out yet, I'm so new to the larger board game. Any suggestions would help!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2803 on: February 01, 2021, 06:27:27 PM »
I want to buy a slappy/transition/cruiser/fuck-around set up thats a lot bigger than my current whip (8.5, ace 44, 52mm)

Thinking a 9.75" to 10" popsicle-esq deck (krooked gonz, heroin egg, Tired, etc.) with Ace 66 and some softer, bigger wheels maybe like 97d 56mm conicals

I want a nose I could try to do nollie stuff off of, obviously it doesn't have to be a perfect symmetrical popsicle but thats what I'm feelin. Id also like a noticeable board size upgrade, so I want to go more than 1" up in size.

Been lurking the big bios thread but nothing is jumping out yet, I'm so new to the larger board game. Any suggestions would help!

The deck is probably going to be the main thing to look out for and source first, then build it up from there, as I think there are way more wide trucks, decent wheels, etc available than big decks right now.

See if local shops have anything in the bigger sizes, or check the online stores, some have boards sized or specific shaped boards as an option to search.

Most have dimensions listed or easy enough to find from the more popular shops, so if you find something and they don't have them listed, search by board brand and name of graphic and it usually comes up easily enough.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #2804 on: February 02, 2021, 12:26:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The deck is probably going to be the main thing to look out for and source first, then build it up from there, as I think there are way more wide trucks, decent wheels, etc available than big decks right now.

See if local shops have anything in the bigger sizes, or check the online stores, some have boards sized or specific shaped boards as an option to search.

Most have dimensions listed or easy enough to find from the more popular shops, so if you find something and they don't have them listed, search by board brand and name of graphic and it usually comes up easily enough.

Yeah im for sure looking for the deck first, the rest doesnt matter so much but Id ideally like Ace

I keep tabs on the main canadian sites up here often, but i think my biggest dilemma is I cant see what the shape is really like before I buy. The nose could appear big in the photos but in reality be useless for popping off of

Also Im kind of shocked at the price of some of these boards. $150 and up. I get alot are reissues for older graphics and shapes and its more wood than a 8.25 popsicle but goddamn..

The search shall continue!

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2805 on: February 02, 2021, 12:52:57 PM »
small wheels tablets or classics
egg over 9"

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2806 on: February 02, 2021, 04:42:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah im for sure looking for the deck first, the rest doesnt matter so much but Id ideally like Ace

I keep tabs on the main canadian sites up here often, but i think my biggest dilemma is I cant see what the shape is really like before I buy. The nose could appear big in the photos but in reality be useless for popping off of

Also Im kind of shocked at the price of some of these boards. $150 and up. I get alot are reissues for older graphics and shapes and its more wood than a 8.25 popsicle but goddamn..

The search shall continue!

Some of the good (modern) concave boards at normal deck prices from companies like Heroin (just released a new drop) and Polar all have functional shapes, as well as boards from Black Label too.  I would say DLX but I haven't seen any big shaped boards since covid.  That might be an ok place to start.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #2807 on: February 03, 2021, 12:35:24 PM »
Quote from: Shifty Flip 
If anyone knows where these are in stock please DM. Shalom

https://embarkskateshop.com/collections/decks/products/baker-x-barry-mcgee-deck-8-125
[/quote

Had the night off last night so didn't ask morning looking for a Spanky Twist board that just came out. With I would've checked eBay before going through my list of locals. My God. 300+ for each board in the series. Nauseating to think I was going to set it up right away. I guess if I owned a local is ebay that said to right away to to to cover rent.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #2808 on: February 09, 2021, 12:41:14 AM »
55 og classics 99a or 56 classics 97a

cant decide formula 4 to go with for my big boy setup
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2809 on: February 09, 2021, 02:52:30 AM »
55 og classics 99a or 56 classics 97a

cant decide formula 4 to go with for my big boy setup

If you like to slappy and cruise around I would go for the
97a classics.
IG: @flowterspace

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2810 on: February 10, 2021, 05:57:34 AM »
This last year I have hardly found any time to skate so my gear doesn't get worn and I have a couple new boards on the shelf already that'll last me for a long long time, but I really want a Girl couch shape now that I've looked more at the dimensions.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 140
« Reply #2811 on: February 10, 2021, 08:40:48 AM »
It's about time for some new shoes. Been considering either a Vans slip-on or the recently released vegan Dickson. Dicksons will probably hold up better with the Flick shield and the brute-ass protection around certain spots; also Dickson is a mutton-chopped beast and I want his shoes. The Vans are a coated canvas from what I've heard, plus they have the Duracap and I can get them from my local.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2812 on: February 13, 2021, 06:35:48 PM »
Trying to decide between an 8.125 and 8.25. Currently skating Indy 139s. Would a 8.25 be to wide and “magic carpet” like?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2813 on: February 13, 2021, 06:45:03 PM »
Trying to decide between an 8.125 and 8.25. Currently skating Indy 139s. Would a 8.25 be to wide and “magic carpet” like?

That is what the boss skates. I used to run venture 5.2 lows (with an extra washer inside) on an 8.25 and it was perfect.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2814 on: February 13, 2021, 07:50:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That is what the boss skates. I used to run venture 5.2 lows (with an extra washer inside) on an 8.25 and it was perfect.

If it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for me. I was leaning towards the 8.25. Never skated anything that wide yet. Was thinking I could throw some washers on if needed.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #2815 on: February 13, 2021, 10:01:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The boss is actually on 144/8.25 as of late. I think it's the first time he's not been on a magic carpet setup. He used to skate 129s on 8.0 not too many years ago, and has gradually gone up since then.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2816 on: February 13, 2021, 11:21:43 PM »
I have no idea why, maybe just because I’ve been watching a lot of older skate videos, but I’m suddenly really drawn to trying out a pair of és accel og.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #2817 on: February 13, 2021, 11:47:27 PM »
I have no idea why, maybe just because I’ve been watching a lot of older skate videos, but I’m suddenly really drawn to trying out a pair of és accel og.

They sell pretty well for a) nostalgia and b) puffy protection. However, if you're used to modern shapes of shoes, they may be kind of tough to skate. have a couple pairs and I had a hard time finding the zone where they "just worked" when I tried skating them. Maybe I needed more time in them and didn't give it. Idk. That might just be me with them. I actually skated better in a Lynx OG than an Accel OG funny enough. I'm a SoleTech dude through and through.

Go for it it if you can try em on first. Some places are selling them at discount prices depending on the size. Ruze shoes, eS website, and some skate shops might have them on sale because of president's day.
Super Champion Fun Zone

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2818 on: February 14, 2021, 01:17:58 AM »
a john lucero reissue or a chris miller to skate, may not buy either and just skate the TEN other setups i have or work with the 6 decks already gripped, 3 new decks(2 pennswood and 1 bbs), 7 sets of trucks(usa made, too), and 5 sets of wheels...... i might be in the wrong thread.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2819 on: February 14, 2021, 04:53:59 AM »
OJ Elite Hardline 99A or 101A. Want 99A for the grip and the smoothness, but worried that the 101A could be significantly faster. What's the pro choice?