Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328583 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3060 on: June 29, 2021, 08:03:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
thinking about getting a deck from the new quasi drop tomorrow. I really like my Quasi 8.5 which has a lot of life left in it but I think an 8.38 might be better for me to get a better flick/higher ollies. With Venture 5.8s, I think the 8.38 might be a really nice ride. Anyone know the shape differences between 8.38/8.5 and have a preference they'd like to share?
[close]

so you're the second person i've noticed recently say they are gonna throw 5.8s on a 8.38. is this the way to go? someone enlighten me pls
[close]
I'm on a 8.38 on 149, feels pretty good.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
thinking about getting a deck from the new quasi drop tomorrow. I really like my Quasi 8.5 which has a lot of life left in it but I think an 8.38 might be better for me to get a better flick/higher ollies. With Venture 5.8s, I think the 8.38 might be a really nice ride. Anyone know the shape differences between 8.38/8.5 and have a preference they'd like to share?
[close]

so you're the second person i've noticed recently say they are gonna throw 5.8s on a 8.38. is this the way to go? someone enlighten me pls
[close]
I was riding, along with a couple other people i know, the 5.8s on a 8.25 for a while and that is a very pleasant ride. Nuts are flush with the deck, maybe poking out the tiniest bit depending on the deck, which makes me hope that the 8.38 is nice middle ground between having a bit of a wider deck and having the deck and trucks be closer to the same width. I am thinking i'm gonna send it so I'd be happy to report back.
[close]
I fuck with the 5.8 on 8.3. That's my setup right now. 8.3×32.5×14.5 with standard 5.8 hi's and 52mm f4 classics. Perfect match. Stable and nimble. Try it if you can.
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I was riding, along with a couple other people i know, the 5.8s on a 8.25 for a while and that is a very pleasant ride. Nuts are flush with the deck, maybe poking out the tiniest bit depending on the deck, which makes me hope that the 8.38 is nice middle ground between having a bit of a wider deck and having the deck and trucks be closer to the same width. I am thinking i'm gonna send it so I'd be happy to report back.
[close]

thanks y'all, i'm an easy sell so they are on the way lol

Wonderful, just when I'm enjoying my 8.38 with 148 / 5.6 and y'all telling me life could be sweeter with 149 / 5.8? Sign me up, madness be damned!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Maccat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #3061 on: June 30, 2021, 03:04:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think my next deck buy will be a slick of some sort. Tried rails. Hate them. I skate at 1 MPH so any help with sliding is cool with me.
[close]

Krooked and Real both have 8.3" width twin tail slicks that are really good. You could also wax your board.
[close]
I have waxed the deck, it’s aight, but do want to try slick. I’ll check out a twin tail.

Had an Ishod twin tail slick. Was slick at first but the charm wore off as quick as whatever they screen on the bottom. Could be a bad batch, who knows. Was my first slick, probably last. Wax is king.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #3062 on: June 30, 2021, 07:13:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I'm on a 8.38 on 149, feels pretty good.
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
I fuck with the 5.8 on 8.3. That's my setup right now. 8.3×32.5×14.5 with standard 5.8 hi's and 52mm f4 classics. Perfect match. Stable and nimble. Try it if you can.
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

thanks y'all, i'm an easy sell so they are on the way lol
[close]

Wonderful, just when I'm enjoying my 8.38 with 148 / 5.6 and y'all telling me life could be sweeter with 149 / 5.8? Sign me up, madness be damned!
Fuck with me homie I'll get ya right.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #3063 on: June 30, 2021, 08:55:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think my next deck buy will be a slick of some sort. Tried rails. Hate them. I skate at 1 MPH so any help with sliding is cool with me.
[close]

Krooked and Real both have 8.3" width twin tail slicks that are really good. You could also wax your board.
[close]
I have waxed the deck, it’s aight, but do want to try slick. I’ll check out a twin tail.
[close]

Had an Ishod twin tail slick. Was slick at first but the charm wore off as quick as whatever they screen on the bottom. Could be a bad batch, who knows. Was my first slick, probably last. Wax is king.

Sounds like a bad batch. My slick decks slide better than my non-slicks even when worn down. The "slick" part is actually a like a ribbed texture on the bottom ply.

I like slick decks for big, soft wheels or when I really want to slide. The worst part about slicks is your tail can slide out on that slick skatepark ground. Waxing a slick deck with some hard wheels sounds like the best way to get some huge slides in.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3064 on: June 30, 2021, 12:12:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

In contrast to what others have said previously, I’m running v-hollow 5.6 on an 8.38 FA and I usually am riding 8.5 with the same trucks. Two washers on the inside. Works great

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #3065 on: June 30, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

In contrast to what others have said previously, I’m running v-hollow 5.6 on an 8.38 FA and I usually am riding 8.5 with the same trucks. Two washers on the inside. Works great
Yeah man 5.6/ 144 on 8.5 are another one of my favorites. I like how it makes the board turn really good and flip easier.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3066 on: June 30, 2021, 05:51:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah man 5.6/ 144 on 8.5 are another one of my favorites. I like how it makes the board turn really good and flip easier.
Can't wait to setup a 8.5 on fome 5.5 Films
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #3067 on: June 30, 2021, 06:12:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

Underrated point you made there:

Narrower trucks turn more quickly.
I’ve been skating wide trucks lately, mainly for the look and the stability, but yes, narrow truck, and especially a narrower truck then the deck, yields more turn for me

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #3068 on: July 05, 2021, 04:43:31 PM »
   I'm gonna order the highest reviewed bum pad undershorts I can find and I found a lapper online too for 10 bucks.  I'm super stoked -I haven't had a lapper since ever.  They are super fun. Im gonna finnaly set up these rails i got years ago now I've been too lazy to put on.  I'm gonna order traditional skate knee pads and also some  good under pant knee pads. I haven't had pads since before 1990.  Used to street skate with them even.   
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3069 on: July 09, 2021, 08:26:12 AM »
Thinking about trying an April board, I don't think I've tried a smaller WB ever but in my "peak" I skated 8" so it should be ok I guess.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #3070 on: July 09, 2021, 09:17:34 AM »
I have original Ace 44 (8.38 axle) but am thinking of going to Ace AF1 55

Not sure as I believe the original 44 is the holy grail, but you cant get them anymore so this is my last set

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3071 on: July 12, 2021, 03:33:19 PM »
Converse cons one star mid. The Ben Raemers colorway. Never skated cons but I really like the look of the navy one star and it also is supporting a good cause. Anyone know the sizing for this specific model? I know converse tends to run large. I’m a 12 in pretty much everything else, should I go tts or try out an 11.5?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1157
  • old and in the way
« Reply #3072 on: July 12, 2021, 09:12:20 PM »
Converse cons one star mid. The Ben Raemers colorway. Never skated cons but I really like the look of the navy one star and it also is supporting a good cause. Anyone know the sizing for this specific model? I know converse tends to run large. I’m a 12 in pretty much everything else, should I go tts or try out an 11.5?

Those Ben Raemer mids look really nice.
In my experience with Cons One Star sizing I'd recommend going a half a size down.
Good luck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3073 on: July 12, 2021, 10:01:07 PM »
Thinking about trying an April board, I don't think I've tried a smaller WB ever but in my "peak" I skated 8" so it should be ok I guess.

If the official website measurements are to be trusted, the 8.25" would be close to my holy grail:

8 inch decks:
31.91" x 8"
Nose - 6.91"
Tail - 6.55"
WB - 14.18

8.25 inch decks:
31.92" x 8.26"
Nose - 6.88"
Tail - 6.81"
WB - 14"

Looks similar to the new R1 shapes that Real is supposed to be putting out soon.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3074 on: July 13, 2021, 08:35:56 AM »
I’m really thinking about getting some vans Rowan pros. I don’t love vans and it seems like mixed reviews but idk.

pops

• Rep: 241
« Reply #3075 on: July 13, 2021, 09:36:48 AM »
I’m really thinking about getting some vans Rowan pros. I don’t love vans and it seems like mixed reviews but idk.
I bought two pairs because of hype. They look nice and has good colorways. I read they're wide but were not for me. The sides rubbed my pinky toes through the shoes life. I really hated the stitching where the tongue and toebox meet since it pressed my foot but this could be more because of my foot structure. It got easier over time but not completely. They give plenty of support and last longer compared to most Vans but in the end, it gets soggy just like other Vans Pros.

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #3076 on: July 13, 2021, 10:01:54 AM »
Trojan condoms.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #3077 on: July 13, 2021, 02:51:31 PM »
Trojan condoms.

Could they pull off a, "Double pits to chesty" type thing, but with trojans?  Who will be the first dude to get on? 

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #3078 on: July 13, 2021, 04:51:14 PM »
thinking of getting a quasi hoodie. do yall know their sizing? im usually a small medium, but a Chrystie M hoodie was a little too big, yet an Emerica 8ball M hoodie fits pretty good
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3079 on: July 13, 2021, 05:16:57 PM »

The best new shoe I’ve skated in the last five years. I’m on pair #4.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3080 on: July 13, 2021, 05:24:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did it mess with your flick?

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3081 on: July 13, 2021, 06:54:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Did it mess with your flick?

I’d say the tall foxing improved my flick.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #3082 on: July 13, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »
Trojan condoms.

“Wear that latex before you get that, I’m late text”
-lil “the skate god” Wayne

That shitpost aside, I have been interested in a twin tail/nose deck. I’m a fan of steeper kicks and it seems like most of these boards have mellower kicks.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #3083 on: July 13, 2021, 08:11:32 PM »
evisen maru deck in 8.25

those cheap twopack of workpants i talk about wanting to buy for like three months. i really think i'm gonna pull the trigger soonish.

a dremel. i've been wanting one for ages.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #3084 on: July 13, 2021, 10:12:05 PM »
One of these blunt steel rails. I can’t justify the price though.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CRHketUl8pB/?utm_medium=copy_link

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #3085 on: July 13, 2021, 10:27:18 PM »
One of these blunt steel rails. I can’t justify the price though.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CRHketUl8pB/?utm_medium=copy_link

Same. Looks fun but I can build a parking block for less.

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #3086 on: July 26, 2021, 03:12:28 PM »
new balance 850. they look sick.
any suggestions what size i should get? i wear a us9 in almost any brand but never had NB.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3087 on: July 27, 2021, 12:40:34 PM »
I usually ride 8.18 decks and am thinking about going up to 8.5 with 149s. Mostly to prevent ankle rolls due to sketchy landings. Am I making shit up in my head or could that be good? I am a US 7.5 shoe size and have like 10 flip tricks on lock if that helps.
IG: @flowterspace

al_cvbrera

« Reply #3088 on: July 27, 2021, 12:47:29 PM »
I usually ride 8.18 decks and am thinking about going up to 8.5 with 149s. Mostly to prevent ankle rolls due to sketchy landings. Am I making shit up in my head or could that be good? I am a US 7.5 shoe size and have like 10 flip tricks on lock if that helps.
i'd say go for 8.38 instead. 149's on 8.38's work pretty nice. and i only say go for an 8.38 because your feet are already pretty small lol

Rattus Localis

« Reply #3089 on: August 06, 2021, 08:14:26 PM »
Es quattros.

The suede ones, not leather.

Anyone skated them?

I have the chance to get them cheap online, I've never tried them on though. How's the board feel, and do they fit TTS?