Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328278 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3390 on: April 13, 2022, 02:57:22 PM »
Crailtap G052 shape.

31.875 length
8.25 width
14 wb
6.8 tail
6.875 nose

Have three other decks on ice and still think about this shape way too often. Longer tail, easier pop? Shorter nose, easier flicks and noseslides? 14 wb, will I learn inward heels? Help me pals.

Pretty sure I had this, a Simon Bannerot debut with the sick CK graphic. Really decent imo. Felt like it tapered a bit towards the back. Ran it with several configurations (kooks gonna kook), best for me was ace 44 classics, 56 conical fulls. Poppin.
Inward heels have never blessed me, did do some dogshit worse than jereme looking ones way back, but nah, don’t have the abilities. Aforementioned setup was nollie heels to the moon (let’s be honest, felt that way, wasn’t that way)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #3391 on: April 22, 2022, 08:09:37 AM »
With three shops within an hour from me now (this is fucking rad) I decided all of my t-shirt purchases going forward will be shop shirts.
Quite possibly will do shop decks too but can’t fully commit to that yet.

Wafools

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #3392 on: April 22, 2022, 01:51:59 PM »
Ugh. Just putting this out there. I don’t need new trucks but I want some venture 5.8s even though I’m enjoying skating Indy’s. Somebody stop me.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3393 on: April 22, 2022, 03:43:30 PM »
Ugh. Just putting this out there. I don’t need new trucks but I want some venture 5.8s even though I’m enjoying skating Indy’s. Somebody stop me.

Awake?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3394 on: April 22, 2022, 05:29:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Awake?

...but at what cost?
Super Champion Fun Zone

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #3395 on: April 22, 2022, 06:00:44 PM »
I’m the opposite…I’m on Venture 5.8s and happy but keep looking at Indy.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3396 on: April 23, 2022, 05:35:55 AM »
I’m the opposite…I’m on Venture 5.8s and happy but keep looking at Indy.
asleep?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3397 on: April 23, 2022, 03:45:22 PM »
I’ve skated this on Thunders and overall it was fun for sure. My tailslides have never been better. In the end for me being taller it never popped as high as I wanted, but flipped super fast. I tried it on Ventures and didn’t like it and briefly on Indy Mids, which felt like the Thunders for the most part.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3398 on: April 23, 2022, 04:03:55 PM »
My son who has a hand me down Real from me (8.06) has asked if he can get a "new 8.25"...not sure where he came up with that selection but I'm stoked to take him to the local and let him pick one out...but at the same time dreading what he may pick. My gatekeeper senses are tingling but don't want to let my viewpoint interfere with it..."so that Qausi looks nice don't you think? Or that Busenitz..."
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Fooj

• Rep: 182
« Reply #3399 on: April 23, 2022, 04:46:31 PM »
My son who has a hand me down Real from me (8.06) has asked if he can get a "new 8.25"...not sure where he came up with that selection but I'm stoked to take him to the local and let him pick one out...but at the same time dreading what he may pick. My gatekeeper senses are tingling but don't want to let my viewpoint interfere with it..."so that Qausi looks nice don't you think? Or that Busenitz..."

Does he possess the madness as well?

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #3400 on: April 23, 2022, 05:58:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does he possess the madness as well?

Well I've got the madness, which has spread to my hockey gear as well, which is a mental and banking fuck...so I've most likely doomed him as well. He also just said he'd Iike some "Eś or Vans" as well. The local is going to love us.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3401 on: April 23, 2022, 11:28:13 PM »

Make sure the shop you bring him to doesn't carry Revive / Braille / Heart Supply, make them do the curating / be the bad guy on your behalf. And go an hour before closing, so it won't be possible to hit another shop before closing time.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ride it to dust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3402 on: April 24, 2022, 04:47:48 AM »
Do Indy standard hollows shorten wb a bit more than forged hollows? I’d like to get a pair just so it gives a bit more movement with different decks.I like 8.375’s but the wheelbases seem to vary so much i’d like a truck that can hit a happy-medium with this width

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3403 on: April 24, 2022, 06:24:48 AM »
Indys, 149/159 (USA if I can find em)

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3404 on: May 05, 2022, 04:11:37 AM »

gonna experiment with the passport spade shape
9.125/31.7ish/between 14.38-14.5 wb

accustomed to bloards that length, just shorter wheelbases
wonder if i can handle 14.25> if length stays constant
really not that many options here so this should be a quick test
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3405 on: May 05, 2022, 08:24:20 AM »
Been thinking of going with some Venture titanium.   I ride the 5.6 now.   Thinking this lightweight set up might make a different.  Likely not. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3406 on: May 05, 2022, 08:57:08 AM »
Do Indy standard hollows shorten wb a bit more than forged hollows? I’d like to get a pair just so it gives a bit more movement with different decks.I like 8.375’s but the wheelbases seem to vary so much i’d like a truck that can hit a happy-medium with this width

Yes, I think standard are +3 and forged varieties are +3.125

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3407 on: May 05, 2022, 06:09:08 PM »

That one looked like it would drill in nicely on the front, which would make the nose more normal and the wheelbase shorter.

I am curious what the wheelbase actually is, given some places had it listed as 14.5 and others as 14.38 or so.  Might be similar to the Polar measurements, listed longer but not quite that.

The six hole baseplate mod at .38 would be perfect for your 14.0 to 14.12 preferred wheelbase on paper.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #3408 on: May 05, 2022, 06:45:21 PM »
Need bearings, never believed anything beyond Reds or $10 minilogos was worth it but I’m ready for some Koolaid. Quantum ceramic vs. Bones Swiss?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3409 on: May 05, 2022, 07:27:29 PM »
Need bearings, never believed anything beyond Reds or $10 minilogos was worth it but I’m ready for some Koolaid. Quantum ceramic vs. Bones Swiss?

I have had some of almost everything to test or try out over the years (except Quantums) and although my preference is the normal Bones Swiss that last and just keep going, after setting up some Mini logo bearings, I was surprised at how good they are - an amazing bearing for the price and quality.

If it is down to money, the Mini logo bearings are the go, but if you are not worried about cost, then anything and everything is fair game.

Lots of people on here have great things to say about Quantum bearings, so if they are available in your area, that might be a good option too.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3410 on: May 06, 2022, 03:17:05 AM »

I can't speak for Quantum or Bones but I have these Blurs ceramic bearings and they are awesome.

https://mantisshop.de/blurs-bearings/blurs-bearings-ceramics.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCKfkGSe5jX4Op1vc_xaYpU7x0Y3Zbub9eytqykWYIiSfMrBZptRHWxoC0hYQAvD_BwE
IG: @flowterspace

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #3411 on: May 06, 2022, 03:21:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I can't speak for Quantum or Bones but I have these Blurs ceramic bearings and they are awesome.

https://mantisshop.de/blurs-bearings/blurs-bearings-ceramics.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwjtOTBhAvEiwASG4bCKfkGSe5jX4Op1vc_xaYpU7x0Y3Zbub9eytqykWYIiSfMrBZptRHWxoC0hYQAvD_BwE

Blurst?!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3412 on: May 06, 2022, 07:06:42 AM »
My latest Quantum Atoms have been great. They’re a bit quieter than a lot of bearings but not waterlogged sounding. Spin super fast after the initial lube wore off and haven’t had a single issue.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3413 on: May 06, 2022, 07:24:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Blurst?!

Yes

Just to echo what others have more or less said: mini logos surprisingly decent. I’ve also had some spitfire cheap shots that ran really well. I’ve never had a super high end bearing, but the bones Swiss 6 ball were the best bearings I’ve had: noticeably faster and longer lasting than regular Swiss.
Just got some quantum’s haven’t skated em yet.
For the type of skating I do, flatground bs, longevity is most important.
Cheap vs pricier bearings seem to be more about longevity, in my experience, than speed. The longevity of some of the pricier bearings made them less expensive, significantly, than the cheap bearings.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #3414 on: May 07, 2022, 12:10:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That one looked like it would drill in nicely on the front, which would make the nose more normal and the wheelbase shorter.

I am curious what the wheelbase actually is, given some places had it listed as 14.5 and others as 14.38 or so.  Might be similar to the Polar measurements, listed longer but not quite that.

The six hole baseplate mod at .38 would be perfect for your 14.0 to 14.12 preferred wheelbase on paper.
went into a shop that had one in stock
measures @8.9/31.5/14.38wb
might be too short but im not sure if the longer wb counters it
gonna hold off on it for now

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3415 on: May 07, 2022, 04:56:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
went into a shop that had one in stock
measures @8.9/31.5/14.38wb
might be too short but im not sure if the longer wb counters it
gonna hold off on it for now

Thanks!!!

I copied your info to the 9+ thread where there is a bit more info about that board too.

Would still be a fairly good board, especially for those who are interested in using a six hole baseplate / chems tool kit to drop the wheelbase down to 14.0 and make the nose almost 7 which would be more consistent dimensions with a normal board like the Chico Big Boy and similar decks.

Specs and info:

PASS~PORT - SINGLES TAKE CARE 9.125" SKATEBOARD DECK

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

Maybe a better set of pics here from the Skate Deluxe listing:

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/passport-singles-take-care-9-125-skateboard-deck-multi_p156552

width: 9.125"
length: 31.375"
wheelbase: 14.375"
nose: 6.375"
tail: 6.75"

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3416 on: May 07, 2022, 08:11:37 AM »
had a few really bad sessions and catching myself in truck madness again

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3417 on: May 07, 2022, 08:20:43 AM »

Stay strong

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3418 on: May 07, 2022, 08:29:43 AM »

I have both the Quantum Ceramics and the Bones Swiss. They are both good bearings but the Swiss are absolutely more “set it and forget it”. They’ve been my primary bearings on my primary skateboard for 2.5 years now and I think I’ve cleaned them twice. They are absolutely the best and they outlast any cheap bearing, making them a better use of your money than the ~3x set of Reds you might buy during the time you use one set of Swiss. I plan on buying another set or two whenever there’s another big 30% off sale around Christmas.

FWIW, my independent and unverified opinion is that the Quantums are not as durable as Swiss. Both wheels on the backside of my board, where I tend to slappy a particularly steep curb regularly, are always sort of fucked up, I assume from the impact. I stopped skating them this way and put them on my pool deck, where they are excellent. I’d say that, for this reason alone, the Swiss beat them out.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #3419 on: May 07, 2022, 08:32:56 AM »

When I feel like nothing is working on my skateboard, I’ve started taking the weekend off from skating, go hike a trail or take my bike ride. Everyone here (myself certainly included) probably skates and thinks about skating more than they should.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021