Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 324577 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3420 on: May 07, 2022, 09:30:44 AM »
Dawg that doesn’t sound as effective as putting my tried and true Thunders on or getting more stability from Ventures again.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #3421 on: May 07, 2022, 09:48:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Need bearings, never believed anything beyond Reds or $10 minilogos was worth it but I’m ready for some Koolaid. Quantum ceramic vs. Bones Swiss?
[close]

I have both the Quantum Ceramics and the Bones Swiss. They are both good bearings but the Swiss are absolutely more “set it and forget it”. They’ve been my primary bearings on my primary skateboard for 2.5 years now and I think I’ve cleaned them twice. They are absolutely the best and they outlast any cheap bearing, making them a better use of your money than the ~3x set of Reds you might buy during the time you use one set of Swiss. I plan on buying another set or two whenever there’s another big 30% off sale around Christmas.

FWIW, my independent and unverified opinion is that the Quantums are not as durable as Swiss. Both wheels on the backside of my board, where I tend to slappy a particularly steep curb regularly, are always sort of fucked up, I assume from the impact. I stopped skating them this way and put them on my pool deck, where they are excellent. I’d say that, for this reason alone, the Swiss beat them out.

I bought quantum when they first posted on slap. There were great for the first board. When put them in a second deck, they started breaking to the point where I was like 5 Swiss and 3 quantum’s so now I’m just all bones now.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #3422 on: May 07, 2022, 09:54:48 AM »
Dawg that doesn’t sound as effective as putting my tried and true Thunders on or getting more stability from Ventures again.

❤️

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3423 on: May 07, 2022, 10:21:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Need bearings, never believed anything beyond Reds or $10 minilogos was worth it but I’m ready for some Koolaid. Quantum ceramic vs. Bones Swiss?
[close]

I have both the Quantum Ceramics and the Bones Swiss. They are both good bearings but the Swiss are absolutely more “set it and forget it”. They’ve been my primary bearings on my primary skateboard for 2.5 years now and I think I’ve cleaned them twice. They are absolutely the best and they outlast any cheap bearing, making them a better use of your money than the ~3x set of Reds you might buy during the time you use one set of Swiss. I plan on buying another set or two whenever there’s another big 30% off sale around Christmas.

FWIW, my independent and unverified opinion is that the Quantums are not as durable as Swiss. Both wheels on the backside of my board, where I tend to slappy a particularly steep curb regularly, are always sort of fucked up, I assume from the impact. I stopped skating them this way and put them on my pool deck, where they are excellent. I’d say that, for this reason alone, the Swiss beat them out.
[close]

I bought quantum when they first posted on slap. There were great for the first board. When put them in a second deck, they started breaking to the point where I was like 5 Swiss and 3 quantum’s so now I’m just all bones now.

Did you contact them? I had an issue with an early run and they replaced them and these have been great. But I also don’t really break bearings and take quite good care of em.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #3424 on: May 07, 2022, 10:32:24 AM »

You’re right. I think the real problem with your skating is that you’re using 92a bushings when you should be using 90a. Make the switch and all of your problems will be fixed.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3425 on: May 07, 2022, 11:03:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You’re right. I think the real problem with your skating is that you’re using 92a bushings when you should be using 90a. Make the switch and all of your problems will be fixed.

Oh you trying to kick knowledge?

@LebowskisRug changing setups is entertaining for me, so if nothing else there is that. Thunders for landing tricks, ventures for cool/good ollies, Indys for grinds and a do it all.

IpathCats

« Reply #3426 on: May 08, 2022, 12:08:22 PM »
I'm considering buying thunders, which would be the first time in roughly 15 years I've owned a pair. Is this a mid life crisis?

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3427 on: May 08, 2022, 12:13:23 PM »
I'm considering buying thunders, which would be the first time in roughly 15 years I've owned a pair. Is this a mid life crisis?

Just get the new 181s and make a lot of photos please

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3428 on: May 08, 2022, 12:28:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m a fan of thunders. It should be noted that I am also a fan of trucks, like almost all of them.

When people refer to my ‘mid-life crisis’ behaviors…I feel like they are over estimating the amount of time I have left.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #3429 on: May 08, 2022, 03:58:22 PM »
Hoping SW restocks the huffer shape. Got a gift card with them that I wanna use because I can’t afford the 70 bucks right now
The chillest1

IpathCats

« Reply #3430 on: May 09, 2022, 03:27:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have no use for those currently. Would be cool on a zip zogger, but honestly, I'd probably put ace's or Indy's on that.

When people refer to my ‘mid-life crisis’ behaviors…I feel like they are over estimating the amount of time I have left.

Yea, there's nothing "mid" about this. It's just a life crisis. Lol

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #3431 on: June 04, 2022, 07:14:43 PM »

First deck in while I want to pick up solely based on the graphic. Full shape is a cherry on top

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 89
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #3432 on: June 04, 2022, 08:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The first run of bearings used a low profile cage.  There were some issues with people breaking them and A LOT of issues with people damaging them with our spacers. 

Mostly because we included the spacers with the bearings and people, who’ve never used spacers, before, and don’t know you have to check the spacer to be sure it fits your wheel, were just throwing them in and blowing out the bearings.

Since we switched to our new cages, in July, and stopped packaging them with spacers there have been only a handful of issues.  And some of those are user error.

http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3433 on: June 05, 2022, 10:34:31 PM »
Any one skate the lakai Carroll redesign?

I’m thinking those or maybe super stars or idk.

I wanna try the ave shoes but I’m worried it’s going to be pointy.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3434 on: June 05, 2022, 11:06:19 PM »
either the uma "rome" shape or the black label "max" shape
the boardy cakes jr gutterballs are in my cart
some itch is gonna get scratched this week
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #3435 on: June 06, 2022, 08:53:30 AM »
some itch is gonna get scratched this week at some point

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #3436 on: June 06, 2022, 10:27:21 AM »
My current deck is getting beat up pretty fast and I really want to try a There board next. I'm eyeing this one: https://www.thereskateboards.com/product-page/growing-pains-marbie-8-5

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #3437 on: June 06, 2022, 10:40:46 AM »
Still contemplating getting another Huffer or the Nick Michel Frog shape. I feel like the frog is gonna feel tiny compared to the Huffer (which I’m currently riding).

Been holding back because my legs been pretty weak lately (knee issues and possibly pulled hammy)
The chillest1

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3438 on: June 06, 2022, 02:55:36 PM »
Expand Quote
some itch is gonna get scratched this week at some point
[close]
went with gutterball jrs and some quantum atoms today
wide and low baby wide and low
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #3439 on: June 06, 2022, 03:55:05 PM »
Wheel madness: some 52mm Classics, non F4. Im really digging the OG Classics Im riding but they are 53mm and kinda clunky to me for everything but slappies. They are absolutely great for slappies.
A few months ago I wouldn’t want a wheel 52mm or bigger but after trying them, I changed my mind.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3440 on: June 06, 2022, 05:03:21 PM »
54m classic f4s. My current classics are down to 51/52 and the classic vs conical thread got me jonesing for new classics.

Pepper grip. I dont wanna use mob anymore and jessup wears out to fast and pepper seems good so far on current deck

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #3441 on: June 06, 2022, 08:08:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The first run of bearings used a low profile cage.  There were some issues with people breaking them and A LOT of issues with people damaging them with our spacers. 

Mostly because we included the spacers with the bearings and people, who’ve never used spacers, before, and don’t know you have to check the spacer to be sure it fits your wheel, were just throwing them in and blowing out the bearings.

Since we switched to our new cages, in July, and stopped packaging them with spacers there have been only a handful of issues.  And some of those are user error.

They hooked me up w a second set to make up for the first run and they're good. Much better
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3442 on: June 07, 2022, 07:02:57 PM »
Pennswood blank 8.5 probably will skate it on aces most likely af1 55s but might give my 44 classics another try.

Been thinking about thunders but might go for ace af1 lows. Or might just force myself to stick with one of the trucks I already have in my oversized truck stash

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #3443 on: June 08, 2022, 12:54:08 PM »
Just checked out some Tiagos in person for the first time. They've piqued my interest.

Yeah, like some have been saying, they're not as chunky as they can look in photos. The heel is pretty big in my opinion, but it's not ridiculous.

The toebox is really rounded, though. I usually have a better flick with pointier-toed shoes and since these are so round, I can't see it working out. Regardless, I'm still thinking about it.

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #3444 on: August 04, 2022, 06:30:09 AM »
I was the last poster in here? Sounding like a broken record.

Anyway, also considering the new Lucas vulc shoes, or the Lakai Welsh Telford lows. If anyone has any input on how they skate, I'd appreciate it.

Bold

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3445 on: August 04, 2022, 01:49:24 PM »
Ace Af1 trucks for my anti hero deck. I've got Indy stage 11 hollows on it and I'd like to try and mellow out the pop angle some by switching down from 54mm to 52mm wheels and the marginally shorter height and wheelbase aces. Also I just want some aces.

Also looking at Deathwish 8.25 x 31.5 and Dwindle 8.25 decks. Not sure I can like the steep dwindle kicks but brands like Madness offer medium kicks and concave I'm sure I can live with. I love the idea of single press decks. Really wish madness offered the Ace graphic on an 8.25.

I don't NEED any of these things, but I'll probably but then anyway. Especially if I can sell some old gear I've fallen out of love with but it's still usable.

DERBY

• Rep: 226
« Reply #3446 on: August 04, 2022, 01:51:34 PM »
i wanna cop an 8.5 quasi. been on a mean streak of strictly 8.5 fa/hockey’s. how’s ps stix quality been lately?

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #3447 on: August 04, 2022, 04:01:43 PM »
I was the last poster in here? Sounding like a broken record.

Anyway, also considering the new Lucas vulc shoes, or the Lakai Welsh Telford lows. If anyone has any input on how they skate, I'd appreciate it.

I've commented this here before but the Telford lows are currently my favorite shoe. Amazing board feel right out of the box, and seem to hold up pretty well. That being said they are not a shoe I'd ever want to jump down something in. I mainly skate ledges so I really only care about board feel. But if impact protection is at all important to you I'd probably replace the insoles, or wait until the new ones with the Atlantic sole some out. The sole is thin and great for board feel and flick, but it certainly isn't for everyone. New ones with the Atlantic sole coming out look promising though. I just got the new Moroccan blue ones and they do look really nice. 

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3448 on: August 04, 2022, 05:39:56 PM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3449 on: August 04, 2022, 11:08:57 PM »
i wanna cop an 8.5 quasi. been on a mean streak of strictly 8.5 fa/hockey’s. how’s ps stix quality been lately?

Some people love it.  Some don't.

Overall though I think they are still one of the better board options, but like anything, I would recommend checking in person more so than just ordering online, if possible.

I think there was a similar question in the FA or the Quasi thread too.  Even some in the Woodshop thread as well.

FA

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114906.210

Quasi

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108613.240

Woodshop

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.450

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.