Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328538 times)

jsettle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3510 on: February 11, 2023, 05:49:30 PM »
Considering copping a pair of sale Ventures from the Orchard sale. I've only ever skated Indys and I'm curious about trying something else.

I recently got ventures after only skating indys forever and they are different but not in a bad way. They didnt turn exactly how i wanted them to with the stock purple bushings with flat top washer so i went back on indy. Today i put the ventures back on with the loose conversion bushings and now they turn lile crazy. I put a pair in my cart on orchard site this morning and am thinking of getting them to have another size of ventures.

Nacho Maildrop

« Reply #3511 on: February 11, 2023, 05:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Considering copping a pair of sale Ventures from the Orchard sale. I've only ever skated Indys and I'm curious about trying something else.
[close]

I recently got ventures after only skating indys forever and they are different but not in a bad way. They didnt turn exactly how i wanted them to with the stock purple bushings with flat top washer so i went back on indy. Today i put the ventures back on with the loose conversion bushings and now they turn lile crazy. I put a pair in my cart on orchard site this morning and am thinking of getting them to have another size of ventures.

Recently did the Indy to venture move. I swapped the bushing for some green 94 supercush and they somehow now feel surfier than with the softer stocks. The biggest adjustment is the grind...they do not blast through curbs like Indy due to the shape, but once they're broken in they get the job done for sure.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3512 on: February 11, 2023, 08:13:57 PM »
The grind is one reason I'm likely bailing on Ventures. Even grooved the grind fairly slow compared to other trucks. I actually think the low grind faster than the high for crooks on chunky cement.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #3513 on: February 12, 2023, 05:13:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
think im bout to blow $95 on a polar hoodie and a dime beanie from orchard, i really dont want to but the little voice in my head keeps saying "do it for skateshop day coward" even tho it's a week away.
[close]

Save that $95 for a vacation.
[close]

i pulled the trigger lol polar hoodie, dime beanie, orchard tee. ended up being $114 shipped

Shoulda spent that dough on beachside Mai Tais.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3514 on: February 12, 2023, 01:55:37 PM »
Expand Quote
1010s but I feel that I’m either going to get heel slip or crush my small toes, if I don’t get the right size. 8 in Tyshawns and 7.5 in Fastbreaks fit me the best. Most people on here say to go down .5 a size but the two people I asked at the park said to go TTS.
[close]

They were TTS for me in size 11 with just the right amount of toe room.
Tts here too
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #3515 on: February 12, 2023, 02:41:59 PM »
^
Thanks, I pulled the trigger on the Primitive ones.

8.3 TT Worrest board with the gorillas, but I have enough Hockey boards to last me over a year. My brain is trying to justify the purchase by pointing out that none of the boards in the pile are TT.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3516 on: February 13, 2023, 07:25:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
1010s but I feel that I’m either going to get heel slip or crush my small toes, if I don’t get the right size. 8 in Tyshawns and 7.5 in Fastbreaks fit me the best. Most people on here say to go down .5 a size but the two people I asked at the park said to go TTS.
[close]

They were TTS for me in size 11 with just the right amount of toe room.
[close]
Tts here too

Size 9 and TTS

Made In China

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #3517 on: February 13, 2023, 01:15:38 PM »
Ended up copping a pair of Bobby Worrest Ventures from the Orchard sale, thanks for all the feedback dudes! I almost ordered the loose conversion kit too but I figure I should give them a test as-is first. I don't run my Indy's super loose so I think I could get away with the stock bushings.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
« Reply #3518 on: February 13, 2023, 01:56:16 PM »
Ended up copping a pair of Bobby Worrest Ventures from the Orchard sale, thanks for all the feedback dudes! I almost ordered the loose conversion kit too but I figure I should give them a test as-is first. I don't run my Indy's super loose so I think I could get away with the stock bushings.

Hell ya! If you cant get them loose enough, the flat top washer is a game changer

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #3519 on: February 13, 2023, 03:41:17 PM »
If it didn't have that little weird colored sole accent side piece, these Etnies Estrellas look comfy
Marked down from 119 crazy msrp

https://shop.ccs.com/collections/shoe-style-sneakers/products/etnies-estrella-shoes-black
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3520 on: February 17, 2023, 12:14:34 AM »

This deck looks cool. Oh juicy!
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

barro15

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3521 on: February 17, 2023, 10:04:49 PM »
Crailtap G052 shape.

31.875 length
8.25 width
14 wb
6.8 tail
6.875 nose

Have three other decks on ice and still think about this shape way too often. Longer tail, easier pop? Shorter nose, easier flicks and noseslides? 14 wb, will I learn inward heels? Help me pals.

I'm riding this now! Only two sessions in but it feels good. the shorted wheelbase is great. I am kinda tripping on the longer tail (v accustomed to a 6.5" tail). thinking of getting some indy 144 hollow standards to pair with this deck. thinking the height might delay the tail pop a bit.

The nose on this board is great. full, blunted shape, similar to that of DLX boards. Also the nose isn't as steep as the tail. having a more responsive nose has been nice for nollie tricks.

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #3522 on: February 21, 2023, 02:27:35 PM »
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3523 on: February 21, 2023, 05:42:37 PM »
I’m thinking about sizing down to venture Hi 5.2’s and bones v5’s…..I have some 8.125’s and I’m getting annoyed at feeling like my set up is too big and clunky and complaining about wheelbase…

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #3524 on: February 21, 2023, 05:56:36 PM »
I’m thinking about sizing down to venture Hi 5.2’s and bones v5’s…..I have some 8.125’s and I’m getting annoyed at feeling like my set up is too big and clunky and complaining about wheelbase…

Broken record here: I’ve got a lot of skate shit. Too much. On smaller setups, and 8” trucks, it almost doesn’t matter, stuff more or less works.
Now I have one setup that works really well for me, and it’s 8.5 board and trucks, but that was one in about 7-8 years of trying that shit (ok 2: the griffin Gass shape with thunders, and then there was a Carlos young magenta that was 8.5, but short, and awesome. I tried so many combinations. All bad).
Any fucking ways, 8” trucks work really well for me. 8.125s and 8” trucks are also the same amount of magic carpet as 7.75 on 5.0s, which was basically my teenage years. I get a little bit of extra leverage on switchflips, and for me, a little magic carpet means less wheelbite.
***Age is not all the same, some old people* look young and spry, not me. I think you are a little younger than I. Relevant in that bigger setups are tiring for me. If I was in shape, or trained, or stretched, or skated as often as I post, then maybe it wouldn’t be an issue. But it is. All of the little easily inflamed connective tissues start acting up, quicker, on the heavier shit. But I’m a baby. An old/not cute baby.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 06:54:54 PM by Ok »

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #3525 on: February 21, 2023, 11:37:01 PM »
New ace af155 since the kingpin on my front truck is devastated.

Vans authentic, always.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3526 on: February 22, 2023, 08:51:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Broken record here: I’ve got a lot of skate shit. Too much. On smaller setups, and 8” trucks, it almost doesn’t matter, stuff more or less works.
Now I have one setup that works really well for me, and it’s 8.5 board and trucks, but that was one in about 7-8 years of trying that shit (ok 2: the griffin Gass shape with thunders, and then there was a Carlos young magenta that was 8.5, but short, and awesome. I tried so many combinations. All bad).
Any fucking ways, 8” trucks work really well for me. 8.125s and 8” trucks are also the same amount of magic carpet as 7.75 on 5.0s, which was basically my teenage years. I get a little bit of extra leverage on switchflips, and for me, a little magic carpet means less wheelbite.
***Age is not all the same, some old people* look young and spry, not me. I think you are a little younger than I. Relevant in that bigger setups are tiring for me. If I was in shape, or trained, or stretched, or skated as often as I post, then maybe it wouldn’t be an issue. But it is. All of the little easily inflamed connective tissues start acting up, quicker, on the heavier shit. But I’m a baby. An old/not cute baby.

I’m turning 50 in October….and I see your argument of physical limitations, and raise you my argument of mental limitations which set in hard as you age……koo….koo….

Honestly it’s just fun tinkering and prioritizing what’s important to me….maybe sacrificing some truck and skating ventures may impact grinding but I think it’ll be easier to flip my board….although that may totally be untrue as well..

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3527 on: February 22, 2023, 08:56:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m turning 50 in October….and I see your argument of physical limitations, and raise you my argument of mental limitations which set in hard as you age……koo….koo….

Honestly it’s just fun tinkering and prioritizing what’s important to me….maybe sacrificing some truck and skating ventures may impact grinding but I think it’ll be easier to flip my board….although that may totally be untrue as well..

Coming off of Ace, Ventures actually made it harder for me to flip my board. I thought the stability would help me, but it came at the detriment of my ability to quickly and easily lean the board in the direction I need it to be for my tricks. I gave it a few sessions, but could never adjust and went back to Ace AF-1s.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3528 on: February 22, 2023, 09:19:38 AM »
I find Ace's are great for not popping and stomping flip tricks, Ventures are the opposite and sometimes it's almost too much effort. Hence I settle in the middle with Thunders, which feel just right.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3529 on: February 22, 2023, 10:07:36 AM »
While the leaning can be helpful….I lack control and I need some neutrality in setting up.  I understand that tight trucks can help on flatground, ventures mimic this with the lack of turning….

I found too when you pop off the pocket on aces it just mushes like a truck or bike with suspension….and on imperfect landings, Aces were like : ‘it’s gonna swerve three times but just stay loose’, ‘Thunders : ‘here, jump on this hand grenade’ and ventures was a predictable: ‘you will slowly go 45 degrees in that direction’…

I’ll stand by that all major truck brands: aces, thunders, Indy, venture are great but not perfect….much like my logic and all will overshadow my my skill level…..

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #3530 on: February 22, 2023, 12:24:50 PM »
Venture AWAKE hoodie or shirt
Jack Purcell Converse shoes (are those the ones BDK wears?)
Spitfire hoodie or shirt with the flaming guy
Hours is Yours G Codes Green Gables
Anti Hero eagle shirt / hoodie

dont need any skateboard gear or shoes but could buy clothes lol i think i am just gonna save my money though

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3531 on: February 22, 2023, 05:09:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Coming off of Ace, Ventures actually made it harder for me to flip my board. I thought the stability would help me, but it came at the detriment of my ability to quickly and easily lean the board in the direction I need it to be for my tricks. I gave it a few sessions, but could never adjust and went back to Ace AF-1s.

I feel the exact opposite, the stability helps me get a solid pop instead of swerving and popping off-center, sometimes to the detriment of the landing. I can land imperfectly and the stability means I can either keep rolling or roll slightly before stopping completely. The twitchiness of Ace means I can compensate for bad landings on the board and keep rolling, but too much lean will send me off the board.

It's a cop out but both trucks have completely different feels, and you can look / feel like a badass on either one. I've stuck with Venture for the better part of a year because it lets me stomp my tricks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3532 on: February 22, 2023, 06:29:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I feel the exact opposite, the stability helps me get a solid pop instead of swerving and popping off-center, sometimes to the detriment of the landing. I can land imperfectly and the stability means I can either keep rolling or roll slightly before stopping completely. The twitchiness of Ace means I can compensate for bad landings on the board and keep rolling, but too much lean will send me off the board.

It's a cop out but both trucks have completely different feels, and you can look / feel like a badass on either one. I've stuck with Venture for the better part of a year because it lets me stomp my tricks.

Yeah, I’ll never evangelize one or the other truck. I skated Ventures for all of my youth and they were fine, but I didn’t think about gear at all back then. I have friends who skate Ventures. I liked how Ventures grind. Some of my favorite pros skate Ventures. They didn’t work for me, but obviously they work well for others.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #3533 on: February 23, 2023, 01:58:28 AM »
I've come to realize that I'm not nimble enough to skate Aces for, exuse the &&-ism, "street tricking". The quick response and immediate turn of Aces make for the most enjoyable ride I've ever experienced, but these very attributes also make it harder for me to actually land tricks. I'll inadvertently swerve when I try to set up for a trick much more often on Aces than on Ventures because they're much more sensitive to my movements. If I were smaller, lighter and had quicker feet, that probably wouldn't happen, but I'm 6,2", 200lb and have logs for feet. Ventures allow more leeway before they engage and therefore let me set up my feet much more consistently.

I think it's ridiculous to categorically claim one truck is better than another, especially when they're pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum. I'm definitely polyamorous when it comes to trucks.

Circling back on topic: I'm thinking about getting V5 X97s. I have the 54mm V6s and love them for my main setup, but I'm tempted to get the 52 V5s with the smaller contact patch for my flatground setup. I'm looking for the benefits of a smaller wheel but still want to enjoy a smooth ride.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #3534 on: February 23, 2023, 08:50:32 AM »

Vans authentic, always.

Changed my mind I'm buying half cabs. Been watching a ton of Pat Steiner footy.

Also @rawbertson. BDK skates Chuck 70s, but Jack purcells are good too
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #3535 on: February 23, 2023, 08:57:58 AM »
Expand Quote

Vans authentic, always.
[close]

Changed my mind I'm buying half cabs. Been watching a ton of Pat Steiner footy.

Also @rawbertson. BDK skates Chuck 70s, but Jack purcells are good too

70s are really nice

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #3536 on: February 23, 2023, 10:20:47 AM »
oh man... i found them online on the site i usually use for $99... last pair... and its in my size.. lol free shipping over $98...

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #3537 on: February 24, 2023, 07:41:16 AM »
Spitfire F4 Radials 99A.
Seem like they are back in stock in 54/53 mm.
I love them but holy shit.. 70€.
Still got some almost fresh classic fulls on ice. Do I really need them. Will they still be available when I need new ones, will there be a sale some day. questions over questions..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #3538 on: February 24, 2023, 11:04:41 AM »
Grund Chinos, Ace 33 AF1s, F4 OG Classics in 52 or 53 mm

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #3539 on: February 25, 2023, 12:21:34 AM »
Anti hero is putting out the terrestrial seasonings series, and I blew a little coffee out my nose when I saw them. They’re hilarious.

Also I’d like to get my hands on some ventures, smaller wheels and a flippier board, to try and learn flips, and street stuff.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.