Author Topic: Gear your contemplating buying?  (Read 328616 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Gear your contemplating buying?
« Reply #3690 on: December 18, 2023, 06:02:45 PM »
For anyone wondering, it appears the April and Primitive 8.125 shapes are the same. They both actually measure 8.18" across and have a "Made in Mexico" sticker. It's a really nice shape, but I can't decide whether to skate them with Indy 139's or 144's lol

I skated the 8.12 and 8.18 shapes with 139s for a long time, then when 144s came out, it was a different feeling, but one I liked.

Others who tried to skate the 144s said it was just too weird after so long on the 139s, but either work well enough, with whatever you are skating, or more so depending on whether you like trucks to sit just inside or just outside the line of the board.

If you like more tippy / flippy tech, then go the 139s.  If more stability and wide balance is your thing, then the 144s will work well.

I skated more transition than anything else, but some people do skate wider trucks on everything.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3691 on: December 19, 2023, 02:56:33 AM »
Trying my best to NOT get a pair off Alltimers Fastbreaks
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 314
« Reply #3692 on: December 20, 2023, 08:34:20 AM »
Toy Machine OG Monster 8".

Never skated a Watson board. Mellow, MUSA and screen printed got me interested.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #3693 on: December 20, 2023, 09:09:31 AM »

If you do, order a half size down and don't end up with too large shoes, as several of us have.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3694 on: December 20, 2023, 09:10:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you do, order a half size down and don't end up with too large shoes, as several of us have.

You made it easier for me since my TTS is the smaller size they have.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3695 on: December 20, 2023, 09:33:51 AM »
Skating thunders right now with a 14" WB board. This is the ideal setup. Everything feels right. Except riding 52mm wheels suck on thunders. Wheel bite like crazy. Was going to pull the triger on ventures. But scared about WB difference.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

mamba

• Rep: 144
  • Sucka free
« Reply #3696 on: December 20, 2023, 09:56:24 AM »
Skating thunders right now with a 14" WB board. This is the ideal setup. Everything feels right. Except riding 52mm wheels suck on thunders. Wheel bite like crazy. Was going to pull the triger on ventures. But scared about WB difference.

I really wish that there were more 14" WB boards in wider widths. I could probably drill it in since most boards are 14.25"... but I don't really wanna mess with a longer tail or nose. I agree though, 14" with thunder is great.

Are you on forged or cast baseplates? 52 should be perfectly good with any thunder tbh.

Pastasash

• Rep: 74
« Reply #3697 on: December 20, 2023, 10:05:04 AM »

I've been riding Ventures (5.6 V-lights) on 14" WB boards for a while now and it's my fav set up, I feel like it gives it the right amount of space with the shorter wheelbase

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3698 on: December 20, 2023, 10:20:09 AM »
I’ve skated both and wheel base wise, they feel similar.  I agree with your sentiments, smaller wheelbases on these trucks makes sense.

My observations:

Thunder: pro: lighter, grind better, lower, easier/lighter pop, con: wheelbite, not alot of meat on the truck
Venture: pro: no wheel bite, heftier pop cons: metal on metal grind worse

They are pretty similar trucks TBH, thunders are a bit more responsive but it’s nice riding ventures looser.  You can get a deeper carve with venture and the stability allows you to put your foot in the pocket and blast anything you want.  The thunder you get those little twitches and pop with little effort.

marcusbutler

• Rep: 39
« Reply #3699 on: December 20, 2023, 12:35:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really wish that there were more 14" WB boards in wider widths. I could probably drill it in since most boards are 14.25"... but I don't really wanna mess with a longer tail or nose. I agree though, 14" with thunder is great.

Are you on forged or cast baseplates? 52 should be perfectly good with any thunder tbh.

I’ve got the forged plate with hollow kingpin. Whatever they are called. I could blame wheelbite on trucks but it is me. I like a tighter back truck. And I will wheel bite on back 180 tricks and tres. I was on 50mm wheels for a bit. But those are scarce to come by and burn up to quick. It’s either I rock a riser or try a slightly taller truck.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

G_Money

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3700 on: December 20, 2023, 05:45:01 PM »
Was thinking of getting a 9.81 shaped krooked deck, but not really sure what size trucks to set it up with.

Indy 215? Ace 66?

Or should I go narrower since the board is tapered towards the nose and tail?

Edit 12/21
Ended up grabbing the deck along with bones Swiss, ace af1 66, and spitfire f4 97 54mm wheels

« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 10:06:09 AM by G_Money »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3701 on: December 21, 2023, 02:51:27 AM »
Was thinking of getting a 9.81 shaped krooked deck, but not really sure what size trucks to set it up with.

Indy 215? Ace 66?

That is most commonly known as the sweatpants shape, after the graphic Gonz had for a long time.  There are a lot of those boards through the setups and big boards threads to check, most commonly on the 9" trucks more than anything else, even though some people have set them up with wider and smaller too, but the Indy 169s, the Ace Classic 55 or AF1 66 seem to be a fairly common option.

It is 9.81 at the widest point, but about 9.2 at the front axle and 8.8 at the back axle, from memory.

They are a really fun board and worth getting too.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3702 on: December 21, 2023, 02:55:21 AM »

Indy 215? Ace 66?

Example:

My knees have been an absolute mess, so I'm back to stock bottom bushings & 58's to try and get a more efficient pump...
    • Krooked Family Affair w/ wheel wells 9.81"x32" w/ 14.37" wb
    • Ace AF1 Hollow 66's
    • Ace 1" Allen
    • Ace 1/8" Risers
    • Bones Swiss
    • Spitfire F4 Classic 99a 58's
[/list]

G_Money

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3703 on: December 21, 2023, 03:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote

Indy 215? Ace 66?

[close]

Example:

Expand Quote

My knees have been an absolute mess, so I'm back to stock bottom bushings & 58's to try and get a more efficient pump...
    • Krooked Family Affair w/ wheel wells 9.81"x32" w/ 14.37" wb
    • Ace AF1 Hollow 66's
    • Ace 1" Allen
    • Ace 1/8" Risers
    • Bones Swiss
    • Spitfire F4 Classic 99a 58's
[close]
[/list]

Thanks.  Looks line Ronnie is running the ace classic 55 on his set up

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3704 on: December 21, 2023, 04:28:26 AM »
Eyeing a Freddy Metal 8.25
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3705 on: December 21, 2023, 07:11:16 PM »
I'm trying to resist getting venture 6.1s - 5.8s feeling too small and I'm just feeling Ventures and big wheels these days, especially the cast height (otherwise I would just ride Royals)...53.5 and hard bushings/venture turn and I can easily ride 54mm wheels and not sweat WB.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3706 on: December 21, 2023, 10:11:59 PM »
Debatingwhether I should cop some more of those 1st skate shop blank 8.38 twins, not a bad shape and cheap. Or wait for alternatives to drop. Also need some shoes soon and the all black busenitzes look alluring.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3707 on: December 22, 2023, 12:33:52 AM »
Debatingwhether I should cop some more of those 1st skate shop blank 8.38 twins, not a bad shape and cheap. Or wait for alternatives to drop. Also need some shoes soon and the all black busenitzes look alluring.

Any idea who presses them? I rode a few Twin shapes from Control a while back and they never as stiff or snappy as a BBS or China deck, very middling quality.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3708 on: December 22, 2023, 03:57:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Any idea who presses them? I rode a few Twin shapes from Control a while back and they never as stiff or snappy as a BBS or China deck, very middling quality.

No but so far the one I ride has kept the pop a frw weeks in.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3709 on: December 22, 2023, 09:21:48 AM »
Thunders 161 hollow lights - my board feels too heavy with aces 55, I would go even to 149s but i love the wide ass truck with 8.5 board, Plus I love a good tight truck on transition, tight enough for a wrong turn shifts into a slide.

Half Cabs - thinking about buying my first one, I've been using slip ons for a year straight and I need new things in my life

:p

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #3710 on: December 22, 2023, 05:00:14 PM »
Thunders 161 hollow lights - my board feels too heavy with aces 55, I would go even to 149s but i love the wide ass truck with 8.5 board, Plus I love a good tight truck on transition, tight enough for a wrong turn shifts into a slide.

Half Cabs - thinking about buying my first one, I've been using slip ons for a year straight and I need new things in my life

ace 55 classics are dope.
and heavy.

the 161s are intriguing cuz wide, tight thunders, are fun as hell

Coffee

• Rep: 40
« Reply #3711 on: December 23, 2023, 04:50:03 PM »
About to grab some new shoes. Looking at the Rowan 2’s because I’m old and only skate cupsoles however my local has some NB 288 Sports on sale in a decent color way so I might go with those.

hmmoookay

• Rep: 70
  • content nausea
« Reply #3712 on: December 23, 2023, 05:58:12 PM »
About to grab some new shoes. Looking at the Rowan 2’s because I’m old and only skate cupsoles however my local has some NB 288 Sports on sale in a decent color way so I might go with those.

Cant say anything about the rowans but the 288 Sport is one of the most comfortable shoes I've purchased over the past few years. Skated them a handful of times and they felt fantastic as well. Good grip good flick and felt really locked in to the shoe without cranking the laces down because of that one piece upper, but not in a constricting way.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #3713 on: December 24, 2023, 11:22:43 PM »

I had 151 with boards from 8.5 to 8.75, probably the best all round setups I ever had. I thought i would suffer in transition but they felt great once you get used to the turn. Sadly my ankles can't handle big decks esp for flatground so I'm down to 8.25 everything.

Bandee

« Reply #3714 on: December 25, 2023, 08:15:40 PM »
Was thinking of picking up a pair of indy standard 144’s and some 54mm f4 og classics, still pondering though

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 783
« Reply #3715 on: December 26, 2023, 11:29:34 AM »
Want another Ishod Twin to take a break in between Huffers. Leaning toward the 8.5" although the new 8.75" is very tempting also. I also like to skate the occasional slick but the 8.38" might be a tad too small for me...

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #3716 on: December 26, 2023, 11:39:06 AM »
New set of wheels…prob another set of non F4 Classics or branch out and try a set of SMLs…

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3717 on: December 28, 2023, 11:22:03 PM »
Wanr to return an 8" Enjoi that I bought and exchange it for an Alltiners one but on a second thought I don't need more boards. A black hoodie seems like a better idea.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 11:31:07 PM by moonordie »
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3718 on: January 01, 2024, 08:17:53 AM »
Are the skate line Dickies any better than the regular ones?

I’ve finally found a pair of brown ones but they’re from the skateboard ones and I’m not convinced the fit is the same

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #3719 on: January 01, 2024, 08:51:56 AM »
Been obsessing over the release of the wide NB 574s for months now, and they finally dropped this morning on the NB site.  Before spending the $140cdn on a pair I decided to Google some reviews about the 574 sizing.  I learned that they already released a wide version a few years ago, and the reviews almost unanimously said they were way too narrow even in 2E.  Guess I’ll stick to sk8 lows/mids.