Author Topic: Skate brands @ urban outfitters  (Read 6666 times)

neil.

Skate brands @ urban outfitters
« on: January 14, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »
As mentionned in the welcome jenkem interview thread, welcome softgoods are now available at urban outfitters.

I was browsin their site and found illegal civ and skate mental. There may be more as well.

Is this an alternative to selling to zumiez/ccs/west49 as well as the discount stores like winners and whatever you guys got in the states.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/search.jsp?q=illegal+civ#/

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/search.jsp?q=welcome#/

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/search.jsp?q=skate+mental#/

I think toy machine once had some pieces up on their webstore as well

Iceman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
Re: Skate brands @ urban outfitters
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »
I mentioned this in another thread but it blew my mind when someone brought it to my attention that thrasher licensed their name to them a decade or more ago. so stfu phelps with your fashion world complaints. sell out pioneer.

neil.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:49:22 PM »
I mentioned this in another thread but it blew my mind when someone brought it to my attention that thrasher licensed their name to them a decade or more ago. so stfu phelps with your fashion world complaints. sell out pioneer.

wait what which thread was that, the thrasher tee onne?

noooway, but yeah that whole bieber thing is bull, one of the marketing dudes at thrasher sent em some gear. bieber and rihanna doesn't pay for that stuff

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »
i don't recall which thread. it was only a few months back.

Jerkstore

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -154
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 03:54:27 PM »
you never know, these brands might think it's cool that they have product going through urban outfitters
but did you know that urban outfitters itself is embedded with republican shareholders and an anti-lgbt ceo

does this mean that ed templeton personally supports the deportation of 10 million mexicans or is it just a facet of capitalism/big money

doublepeenis

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 04:50:05 PM »
Who gives a fuck? About urban outfitters or those t shirts?

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 590
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »
All I can say is that as long as the brands I care about are still afloat. Ironically, I could give half a shit about these 3.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »
Are we (SLAP) really counting Illegal civ a legit skate brand?

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 06:04:35 PM »
Is Illegal Civ the brand with the video controversy, animal cruelty situation?  I didn't watch it, and I haven't seen any of their gear. 

What the fuck is this?
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 06:57:47 PM »
^ yeah thats the one. Also i thought that welcome thread meant that urban outfitters was selling welcome decks? Who gives a shit about clothes? I haven't bought skate clothes since i was in high school, except for my friend's company. Shits way too pricey and ill look like a huge tool wearing it because i can't pull that shit off anymore.

not_ericricks

• Rep: -65
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 09:40:24 PM »
^ yeah thats the one. Also i thought that welcome thread meant that urban outfitters was selling welcome decks? Who gives a shit about clothes? I haven't bought skate clothes since i was in high school, except for my friend's company. Shits way too pricey and ill look like a huge tool wearing it because i can't pull that shit off anymore.

I hear ya. I have some god awful dc hats but I havent bought a skate shirt forever. Like 15+ years. Im classy, walmart khakis, cargos and sweatpants.

I only buy real clothes to look like a professional at work, and even that shit is lame and cheap as fuck.

Also, I own more pairs of slippers than skate shoes I think? Well its close...
I stand one step above you like a pharmacist

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 06:49:04 AM »

I say this all the time, But thrahser licensed out to forever21 back before they even start selling mens clothes. My ex use to rock it to look like a "skater girl" for me  ::).

r.g.

• Rep: 2
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 08:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

noooway, but yeah that whole bieber thing is bull, one of the marketing dudes at thrasher sent em some gear. bieber and rihanna doesn't pay for that stuff

It's their stylists more likely that have a fuckbuddy that wears thrasher ironically while riding their fixie and curating the decor in their shambled chic apartments...

And it ain't Phelps that's the problem, it's fausto's widow and I get the feeling she's looking to cash out soon. $60 bucks for a hoody ? Fuckouttahere with that, wasn't that shit like $40 two years ago ?

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 09:09:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's their stylists more likely that have a fuckbuddy that wears thrasher ironically while riding their fixie and curating the decor in their shambled chic apartments...

And it ain't Phelps that's the problem, it's fausto's widow and I get the feeling she's looking to cash out soon. $60 bucks for a hoody ? Fuckouttahere with that, wasn't that shit like $40 two years ago ?
phelps might not be the source of their selling out, but he's their pr man that's trying to cover up those tracks, so he's just as guilty.

Yu Dum

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 09:45:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
phelps might not be the source of their selling out, but he's their pr man that's trying to cover up those tracks, so he's just as guilty.
But, do you really think Phelps has any idea of what goes on behind closed doors? Dude's been a loon for a good while now.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
But, do you really think Phelps has any idea of what goes on behind closed doors? Dude's been a loon for a good while now.
i don't think he's detached at all. as much of a moron as he can be, the man knows his shit.

Yu Dum

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
i don't think he's detached at all. as much of a moron as he can be, the man knows his shit.
I suppose you're right. I just find it hard to believe that he really knows what's going on due to his incessant rants about nothing.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
I suppose you're right. I just find it hard to believe that he really knows what's going on due to his incessant rants about nothing.
could just be an image tactic. who knows.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »

I don't know the details but it could be something similar to Minor Threat t-shirts being sold at Urban Outfitters--lots of bootlegging/other business to attend to so Thrasher stopped doing their own direct sales and had someone else run their softgoods distribution, who then becomes in charge of licensing, not Thrasher: http://www.stereogum.com/1422621/ian-mackaye-on-urban-outfitters-minor-threat-t-shirt/news/
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 04:00:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

These days, I only see dishwashers riding Walmart fixes to work.

calvinsdream

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »
Why does this seem like such a witch hunt for stores end up carrying skate branded clothing? Urban Outfitters/zumiez/whatever mall store always jump on whatever's trendy, and anything skate-related typically is.

zippy z

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 07:33:07 PM »
It is about the brands that sell to the trendy stores that is the issue.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 08:11:56 PM »
old news

i used to get all the new expensive skate books there by putting different price stickers on em

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
semi related: I was in Tokyo on the weekend for a business trip and checked out two stores while I was there.
One was a completely indie shop and the other a nation-wide chain, apart from the actual size of the stores their product line was almost identical: polar, magenta, welcome, quasi, 5 boro, emerica, nike SB, adidas, nb#
The indie shop guys didn't even look up from their screens when I walked in which was kind of sad..
No real point to my post though; I guess it's always been that way in that shops will follow whatever is trending at a certain point in time
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 09:51:01 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »
URBN has a Miniramp at company HQ although I hear it's always padlocked.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 10:47:36 AM »
is it worse than zumiez tho

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2017, 01:19:22 PM »
is it worse than zumiez tho

I think so. The CEO of urban outfitters is pretty blatantly anti-semitic and racist (I personally don't agree with his political views either, but that's a different conversation). Whereas, one of the owners/founders of Zumiez is someone I've met personally and he is a friendly, humble person who still legitimately skates, snowboards, and surfs (in the PNW, where you need to be pretty committed to that shit). Zumiez is still pretty wack, but at least it's not run by a bigot whose company steals designs from independent artists.

My main gripe with the Welcome shit is not that they wanted to make a lot of money doing something kooky, it's that they said they would never do that and then they went and did it.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2017, 04:25:22 PM »
My main gripe with the Welcome shit is not that they wanted to make a lot of money doing something kooky, it's that they said they would never do that and then they went and did it.
but who HASN'T done this? you must really fucking hate MJ and you must absolutely despise nike SB (who vowed to only sell their SB product to core stores). Fuck, world used to be the most underground/ indie/ badass brand back in the day and look what they turned in to

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

shark tits

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 07:02:34 AM »
Thrasher tees at Forever 21.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.