Author Topic: Wheelbase Questions  (Read 57359 times)

hillbilly shifty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
Re: Wheelbase Questions
« Reply #180 on: September 30, 2019, 07:19:25 PM »
Expand Quote
is there a standard on how companies measure WB?
i would measure on center. but by doing that, not a lot of decks match their stated wheelbase
[close]

It's the center of the inside mounting hole to the other inside mounting hole.

This picture shows how a wheelbase is measured.

yes, exactly. measure on center. but half the time the actual measurements don't match the listed/printed specs.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #181 on: September 30, 2019, 07:48:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i would measure on center. but by doing that, not a lot of decks match their stated wheelbase
[close]

[close]

yes, exactly. measure on center. but half the time the actual measurements don't match the listed/printed specs.

Yeah sometimes the woodshop fucks up, or the description has typos. FA still copy-pastes their 14.18" WB as 14.81"

What matters more to me, and should be to everyone, is the distance between the baseplate and where the tail starts. The difference between a 8.25" Quasi with a 14.25" WB and a 8.25" Madness with a 14.25" WB (current deck rn) is astronomical, as the distance between the baseplate and where the tail starts is extremely small on the Madness deck, while on the Quasi it's around 1/2" - 3/4" (both using Indys)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #182 on: September 30, 2019, 08:58:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah sometimes the woodshop fucks up, or the description has typos. FA still copy-pastes their 14.18" WB as 14.81"

What matters more to me, and should be to everyone, is the distance between the baseplate and where the tail starts. The difference between a 8.25" Quasi with a 14.25" WB and a 8.25" Madness with a 14.25" WB (current deck rn) is astronomical, as the distance between the baseplate and where the tail starts is extremely small on the Madness deck, while on the Quasi it's around 1/2" - 3/4" (both using Indys)

Underrated measurement (‘fingers of flat’). I see it most on ps stix. Had a Bianca board, lots of flat. Shape was so good.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #183 on: September 30, 2019, 09:06:32 PM »
14.75 is good for me now but I skate a 14@ here and there just fine.
Feel like I’ve wasted a lot of money throughout my life buying boards with favorite pros names on them only to not be able to kickflip for a couple days because I was changing wheelbases every deck.
Figure out what works and stick with it and don’t think about it.
On another note, I feel like Girl actually has really good board width to wheelbase ratios. I think they have good good and good concave. I like the cardiel/Cory shape they have and girl wood lasts and feels no different than dlx, just better(more mellow) concave and 14.75 wheelbase on girl, 14.8 on dlx.
Rode a 14.25 a month ago and focused after I couldn’t land anything for 20minutes also threw New Balances I was wearing away

Girl has a shape with a wheelbase longer than 14.25"?  :o Which one?

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2019, 04:03:34 AM »
In a different thread, someone posted a Duffle IG post where he was thanking the Welcome dude for explaining to him what different wheelbases do. Crazy to think a long time pro never paid attention to actually the most important dimension

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2019, 07:41:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

yes! i like just under 2 fingers of flat from bolts to start of tail, when looking at the top.
my sweet spot for WB is 17" on center from axle to axle (which is what wheelbase actually is).
to hit this means different wheelbases depending on the truck. because of the inconsistent nature of stated vs. actual WB, i always have a small tape measure when i go to shops.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2019, 07:46:40 AM »
Expand Quote
14.75 is good for me now but I skate a 14@ here and there just fine.
Feel like I’ve wasted a lot of money throughout my life buying boards with favorite pros names on them only to not be able to kickflip for a couple days because I was changing wheelbases every deck.
Figure out what works and stick with it and don’t think about it.
On another note, I feel like Girl actually has really good board width to wheelbase ratios. I think they have good good and good concave. I like the cardiel/Cory shape they have and girl wood lasts and feels no different than dlx, just better(more mellow) concave and 14.75 wheelbase on girl, 14.8 on dlx.
Rode a 14.25 a month ago and focused after I couldn’t land anything for 20minutes also threw New Balances I was wearing away
[close]

Girl has a shape with a wheelbase longer than 14.25"?  :o Which one?

Phawt Cory Kennedy has 14.75” wheelbase, not be confused with newer wider Cory shape with smaller wheelbase, make sure it’s phawt

lou dawg

• Rep: -1
« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2019, 08:00:27 AM »
In a different thread, someone posted a Duffle IG post where he was thanking the Welcome dude for explaining to him what different wheelbases do. Crazy to think a long time pro never paid attention to actually the most important dimension

Absolutely. I knew I wasn't alone with feeling fleeced by brands for almost my entire time skating when they only show you the length and width and scoff at you when you ask for more information.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2019, 10:21:47 AM »
I asked a couple of months ago Jart skateboards, why all their decks are listed with an 14.2" wheelbase.
No answer, and they are still listed the same. From 7,75 to 9".
Irritating.
Why so difficult.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2019, 10:36:10 AM »
I asked a couple of months ago Jart skateboards, why all their decks are listed with an 14.2" wheelbase.
No answer, and they are still listed the same. From 7,75 to 9".
Irritating.
Why so difficult.

Either the WB is actually the same along the decks, or someone at Jart was way too lazy to measure the WB. The latter doesn't make any real sense since they measured the length, nose, and tail which differs deck from deck.

Skatansfinest666

• Rep: 0
  • Everything skateboarding 🛹 • Avid THC enthusiast
« Reply #190 on: November 25, 2019, 02:47:37 PM »
So just curious how can I find my perfect wheelbase match in correlation w/ height & shoe size? I’m average size being 160lbs/ 5’11/ shoe size 9.5 us/ n I skate street preferring snappier, quicker more responsive pop. Any leads in the right direction would be appreciated a shit ton 🙏🏼
D€€P_FR¿€D™️

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2019, 05:25:00 PM »
So just curious how can I find my perfect wheelbase match in correlation w/ height & shoe size? I’m average size being 160lbs/ 5’11/ shoe size 9.5 us/ n I skate street preferring snappier, quicker more responsive pop. Any leads in the right direction would be appreciated a shit ton 🙏🏼

I'm 180lbs, 5'10", US10 and also prefer quick snappy pop

Anything with a short WB of 14.25 or under I want Thunders or Ventures to push the WB out

Anything with a longer WB (say 14.35) I want ACE or Indy to pull that WB in.

Width doesn't seem to matter all that much (except in tranny or hucking, I prefer wider decks)

What doesn't work for me, ever, is a 14.25" WB + anything from the ACE/Indy/Theeve/Tensor/Tuck the WB in scenario. I end up feeling too cramped.

TL:DR:
14/14.25" WB with Ventures or Thunders (Street) is for sure the snappiest combo to me, flippy, quick pop/insta ollies
14.3x/14.4x WB with ACE/Indy/Theeve/Tensors (bowls) bit more stable, slower ollies (good for big ollies imo)
15"WB = Never, flip tricks just disappear on me

What's funny (apart from the OCD) is that you would think a long WB with short WB trucks = Short WB with long WB trucks would be the same thing, yet they aren't (wheel position I guess).

I'm really enjoying the Primitive 8.25"x31.85x14"WB, 8.25" Venture, bones V3 combo

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2019, 06:18:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Anything with a short WB of 14.25 or under I want Thunders or Ventures to push the WB out

Width doesn't seem to matter all that much (except in tranny or hucking, I prefer wider decks)

What doesn't work for me, ever, is a 14.25" WB + anything from the ACE/Indy/Theeve/Tensor/Tuck the WB in scenario. I end up feeling too cramped.

14/14.25" WB with Ventures or Thunders (Street) is for sure the snappiest combo to me, flippy, quick pop/insta ollies
14.3x/14.4x WB with ACE/Indy/Theeve/Tensors (bowls) bit more stable, slower ollies (good for big ollies imo)

What's funny (apart from the OCD) is that you would think a long WB with short WB trucks = Short WB with long WB trucks would be the same thing, yet they aren't (wheel position I guess).

I'm really enjoying the Primitive 8.25"x31.85x14"WB, 8.25" Venture, bones V3 combo

What ventures or thunders do you recommend for those WB’s?

Been on Indy with DLX 14.4 WB & thinking about switching it up.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2019, 06:34:39 PM »
I want to say it was the Skateboarding Is My Lifetime Sport blog but someone reached out to a bunch of major manufacturers to find out how they measured decks. Some used a tape measure that followed the contours of the board, others used a straight yardstick.

Here we go, found it:

http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/05/deck-length-measuring-by-company.html?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2019, 07:16:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

With Thunder, I don't think there is any different in WB push with cast vs forged; on Ventures, apparently there is a 1mm or so push further with cast plates (I forget, it's in this thread a few pages back tho).

It really depends on what wheel size. I like the lower feeling from forged plates on Ventures and Indys, Thunders too but need a smaller wheel if I ride forged thunders due to wheelbite.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2019, 08:07:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

With Thunder, I don't think there is any different in WB push with cast vs forged; on Ventures, apparently there is a 1mm or so push further with cast plates (I forget, it's in this thread a few pages back tho).

It really depends on what wheel size. I like the lower feeling from forged plates on Ventures and Indys, Thunders too but need a smaller wheel if I ride forged thunders due to wheelbite.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3065039#msg3065039

This guy did a great photo comparison of how the trucks adjust the wheel bases, with pretty precise measurements.

I find a 17" Axle-to-Axle (A2A) WB too narrow on my tiny 7.75 x 31.3 x 14 setup with Indy. The board becomes way too light and I lose control when popping up stuff. Tried the setup with Thunder 147 and the height was messing with me too much, so I'm trying them with 1/8" risers to see if that helps.

Other factors like board length, truck height and fingers of flat add to the confusion about an ideal WB.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2019, 06:20:13 PM »
Measured my Tensor ATG wheelbase and it’s +3.125” my deck wheelbase. That sound right?

In between Indy and thunder according to the above linked post.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2019, 07:24:37 AM »
 This just in; Weeman Jason Acuna skates a 14 inch wheelbase and also a 14 and a quarter WB. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2019, 07:38:58 AM »
I want to say it was the Skateboarding Is My Lifetime Sport blog but someone reached out to a bunch of major manufacturers to find out how they measured decks. Some used a tape measure that followed the contours of the board, others used a straight yardstick.

Here we go, found it:

http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/05/deck-length-measuring-by-company.html?
    That guy quit skating for 15 years then unquit, started a blog and called it "skatebording is my lifetimesport" which is pretty offensive imo.

skateboardingismylifetime

• Rep: 0
« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2019, 07:50:38 AM »
Expand Quote

Here we go, found it:

[close]
    That guy quit skating for 15 years then unquit, started a blog and called it "skatebording is my lifetimesport" which is pretty offensive imo.

Wanna have a go, buddy?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: December 19, 2019, 07:52:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Here we go, found it:

[close]
[close]

Wanna have a go, buddy?
What do you mean?, (to me that means you want to fight me.)

Vernon Wells

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 34
  • Paydayyyyyyy
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #201 on: December 19, 2019, 08:59:26 AM »
What are the general signs you're riding the wrong sized wheelbase for flat ground/ledges/manuals? I've experienced too short of WB with Ace trucks on a 14.25" WB decks, easily looping out on transition.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: December 19, 2019, 11:19:56 AM »
What are the general signs you're riding the wrong sized wheelbase for flat ground/ledges/manuals? I've experienced too short of WB with Ace trucks on a 14.25" WB decks, easily looping out on transition.

I feel cramped if it's too short and end up pushing my front foot to the pocket of the nose when carving transition; on the flipside, my flatground flip tricks suffer on longer wheelbases.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2019, 12:43:12 AM »
Anyone had success skating tech stuff on a longer (14.5+) wheelbase?

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #204 on: December 28, 2019, 02:45:25 AM »
Anyone had success skating tech stuff on a longer (14.5+) wheelbase?

14.5 is fine with Aces. I could probably go up to like 14.7 tops with them as I usually go 14-14.375 with Thunders.

Wheelbase doesn’t mean much unless you are including length, shape and trucks in the equation.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #205 on: December 28, 2019, 02:52:48 AM »
If somebody could write how determined trucks affect WB I would be very grateful.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #206 on: December 28, 2019, 02:55:09 AM »
is riding a 14.75 wb with thunders (+3.18) going to feel similar to a 14.5 wb with ventures (+3.5)? total wb comes to around 18 for both but im sure its not that simple, is it?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #207 on: December 28, 2019, 03:16:26 AM »
is riding a 14.75 wb with thunders (+3.18) going to feel similar to a 14.5 wb with ventures (+3.5)? total wb comes to around 18 for both but im sure its not that simple, is it?

I think its a good approximate guide to ensure you're not too thrown off by a wheelbase thats way different than what you're used to. However theres a lot more to how certain deck/truck combinations feel in practice than just the effective wheelbase so you're probably not going to recreate the exact feel.

dakara

• Rep: 4
« Reply #208 on: December 28, 2019, 04:40:22 AM »
I’m trying to figure out what to do for my next setup and am kind of confused as different people seem to say wheelbase does different things.

I currently ride a 8x31.75 with approx 14.25 wheelbase, 2-3 fingers of flat and pretty mellow kicks and concave. The wb and fingers of flat are rough measurements as I only have an old shitty rubber tape measure and my fingers are very slender. My trucks are Indy stage 9 129 and my wheels are 54mm ff tablets. I am 5’7 with proportional legs and size 7.5 feet.

The main thing I don’t like with this setup is the pop is very unexplosive and I often get ghost pop particularly on kick flips. The second thing is i get unstable and veer off severely when setting up for kick flips and tres. Both of these have a lot to do with my ability, but particularly with the pop I’ve never had any problem snapping high, floaty ollies but with this setup the pop feels so anemic and I can barely clear 2 decks even if I really fucking go for it. My style is mostly street but not very tech, I mostly do board slides, simple grinds, 180s and kick flips while cruising around Tokyo, and I also love jumping down stuff and natural tranny.

Where I’m confused is according to Ben degros, a longer wheelbase means more explosive pop. But others say that shorter wheelbase helps you get more pop and higher ollies since the angle of the board is more steep, and longer wheelbase or a deck that hits quicker is better for long ollies.

With my poor understanding of wheelbase effects besides my intuitive understanding of my skateboard as a lever, I’m thinking of going with a 8.2-8.4 deck that’s not too long, with a slightly longer wheelbase than 14.25 and steeper shape(if I can even find such a thing at my tiny local) paired with 149 indys. My thinking is I like the feel and turn of indies, so extend deck instead of going with thunder or venture, and the wider trucks will help with stability when setting up and especially with getting into grinds which I prize much more heavily than tech flip stuff. The extended wheelbase should give me snappier pop, but the more aggressive shape will give me higher ollies.

Is my logic sound or am I way off? What would you guys recommend for what I’m looking for? I don’t have many skate buddies and the ones I do have are tech junkies who skate tiny decks so I can’t really try out different shit.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #209 on: December 28, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
I’m trying to figure out what to do for my next setup and am kind of confused as different people seem to say wheelbase does different things.

I currently ride a 8x31.75 with approx 14.25 wheelbase, 2-3 fingers of flat and pretty mellow kicks and concave. The wb and fingers of flat are rough measurements as I only have an old shitty rubber tape measure and my fingers are very slender. My trucks are Indy stage 9 129 and my wheels are 54mm ff tablets. I am 5’7 with proportional legs and size 7.5 feet.

The main thing I don’t like with this setup is the pop is very unexplosive and I often get ghost pop particularly on kick flips. The second thing is i get unstable and veer off severely when setting up for kick flips and tres. Both of these have a lot to do with my ability, but particularly with the pop I’ve never had any problem snapping high, floaty ollies but with this setup the pop feels so anemic and I can barely clear 2 decks even if I really fucking go for it. My style is mostly street but not very tech, I mostly do board slides, simple grinds, 180s and kick flips while cruising around Tokyo, and I also love jumping down stuff and natural tranny.

Where I’m confused is according to Ben degros, a longer wheelbase means more explosive pop. But others say that shorter wheelbase helps you get more pop and higher ollies since the angle of the board is more steep, and longer wheelbase or a deck that hits quicker is better for long ollies.

With my poor understanding of wheelbase effects besides my intuitive understanding of my skateboard as a lever, I’m thinking of going with a 8.2-8.4 deck that’s not too long, with a slightly longer wheelbase than 14.25 and steeper shape(if I can even find such a thing at my tiny local) paired with 149 indys. My thinking is I like the feel and turn of indies, so extend deck instead of going with thunder or venture, and the wider trucks will help with stability when setting up and especially with getting into grinds which I prize much more heavily than tech flip stuff. The extended wheelbase should give me snappier pop, but the more aggressive shape will give me higher ollies.

Is my logic sound or am I way off? What would you guys recommend for what I’m looking for? I don’t have many skate buddies and the ones I do have are tech junkies who skate tiny decks so I can’t really try out different shit.

Interesting questions, and I do not have answers! Looking forward to seeing what others say.

129s, on an 8”....129s, are to me, and very difficult truck: they are tall and narrow. Narrow trucks turn quicker/more sharply (I think. This is why slalom boards narrow). Your trucks are are .4” less than your board, creating more leverag for turning. A wider truck, or smaller board to truck ratio, could yield more stability.

The deck shape and truck combo may be affecting your pop. I’ve heard that flatter boards, more fingers of flat, not good with Indy. I had one super flat Bianca board when they started (ps stix) and the pop with Indy’s, on 3flips, was the best ever for me, but I’ve heard enough people say this that it makes sense.

Wider trucks can help with setup, but they are heavier/slower turn/slower flip.

You already have a good wheel size for pop imo.

The wheelbase stuff I’m interested in hearing someone chime in on.