Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 69592 times)

donkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65
  • donk
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #450 on: July 12, 2022, 09:36:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Thanks for all the info provided here, guys. Some pretty rad setups here!

After a year of experiencing issues with the VX1 involving the general VX1 working issues when out filming and sorting repairs (and often enough very expensive prices for VX1s, which might turn up already broken - fun). I decided on a HD cam after my full length vid is done. I'll keep the VX1 for smaller projects, then.

I went with a Canon XF100 since it seemed tidy for the price and what came with it. It seems pretty decent from the test footy I shot of chasing my dog around, so I'm hoping to get some clips later at the park to fully test it out.

I did order one of those Sony mics, as this one was going cheap. I don't think it's going to turn up, though. Bugger.
[close]

https://youtu.be/bC8QkxfySqE

this is XF200 MK1. whatever this guy is doing it looks sick. maybe hit them up

damn this set up is incredibly good looking. the camera is not too expensive too

depresseddingo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #451 on: July 23, 2022, 09:28:09 AM »
Sony AX100/ modded Nikon FC-E9:

https://youtu.be/VXSkGtjv7t4

I modded this more securely than the original JB welded spacer method. After cutting the tube off, I filed the back of the housing down to the inner lock-ring threads, then screwed a male to male coupling ring to those threads from the outside, then stepped that up to 62mm. Came out way better than I expected.

Edit: No idea why it isn't letting me post the photo, but here's the link:
https://imgur.com/a/IGcMNIr

Could you give a little more detail about the mod?
What tools have you been using and what size does the male-male ring need to be?

Would love to try this myself

dipped

« Reply #452 on: August 03, 2022, 11:09:49 PM »
Sony AX100/ modded Nikon FC-E9:

https://youtu.be/VXSkGtjv7t4

I modded this more securely than the original JB welded spacer method. After cutting the tube off, I filed the back of the housing down to the inner lock-ring threads, then screwed a male to male coupling ring to those threads from the outside, then stepped that up to 62mm. Came out way better than I expected.

Edit: No idea why it isn't letting me post the photo, but here's the link:
https://imgur.com/a/IGcMNIr

Yo! Do you have any footage or screenshots of the unmodded fisheye on the ax100? I‘m looking into getting one for my ax700.

ArneezyBeezy

« Reply #453 on: August 06, 2022, 08:01:51 PM »
Got an A7III, Canon 8-15, Sony 18-105 PZ, and VX Mic w/ windscreen for sale if anyone is interested!

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #454 on: August 22, 2022, 06:20:03 AM »
I saw this nice little write up on panasonic p2 domination of skate media and the need for something new on quartersnacks this morning. this thread gets a shout out. Though I don't totally agree with the writer's outlook (I like 720p!) the article is nice shorthand for the unfamiliar and might alleviate some explaining in here from time to time
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

mostlyslappies

• Rep: 1
  • Filmer
    • IG avatar image
« Reply #455 on: August 23, 2022, 06:39:43 AM »
I saw this nice little write up on panasonic p2 domination of skate media and the need for something new on quartersnacks this morning. this thread gets a shout out. Though I don't totally agree with the writer's outlook (I like 720p!) the article is nice shorthand for the unfamiliar and might alleviate some explaining in here from time to time

Yeah, I dunno, as a big proponent of the HPX/Mk1 setup, it seems a little goofy to be told (by a VX filmer, I might add) that it's somehow obsolete. I don't think "HD" necessarily needs to equate to "4K," even in this day and age. But, to each their own, the shoutout to this thread was cool.

donkey

• donk
« Reply #456 on: August 23, 2022, 08:41:09 AM »

this entire article is stupid. it sounds like this dude had to write this for a class.

sorry i feel like thats a little harsh, its not stupid its just.... idk, unnecessary?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 11:54:00 AM by donkey »

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #457 on: August 23, 2022, 02:37:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this entire article is stupid. it sounds like this dude had to write this for a class.

sorry i feel like thats a little harsh, its not stupid its just.... idk, unnecessary?

gah i don't know. i support anyone that writes anything with the general sentiment like "skaters should not use 15 year old tech just because other people do"

I feel like the author would have liked this Jenkem vid, around 13:35 they dedicated a whole portion to people (like Shari White) looking for newer, cheaper, non HPX setups

https://youtu.be/baSnSlIYQd8?t=816

P2PIMP

• Rep: 2
« Reply #458 on: August 27, 2022, 01:00:06 PM »
just dropped a new part with my homie for our local shop out here in washington. filmed with the af-100/meike 3.5mm and hvx-200a for the long lens footage. i wasnt sure how i would like the meike fisheye at first because of the price/quality compared to the 8-15 canon lens but after using it for my last few edits, i am completely sold on this thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUftguEH7Mk&t=109s

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 48
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #459 on: August 29, 2022, 07:42:48 AM »
https://youtu.be/nF5aBsehc-Y

looks to be hpx/mk1. bear myles is so fucking good zayum
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Judychamagnee

« Reply #460 on: September 02, 2022, 11:04:52 AM »
https://youtu.be/JTRHTszek9k

Here's a video I shot mainly VX21/mk1. I transitioned to HD at the 37 minute mark.
HD Setup is Canon XF400/Mk1 with the Wooden Camera VX Mic
Mk1 is mounted using 2 mk1 Bayo Rings clamped together with a 10$ exhaust clamp from O'Riellys.
(This modded setup mounts directly to the camera!)
1 Bayo wouldn't work due to the inside of Mk1 hitting the camera glass so some separation was needed.
Shot in 4k and dropped onto a 1080x1440 timeline.
Fisheye scaled to about 61%
Long Lens scaled no lower than 50%
Great run and gun setup

« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 11:19:56 AM by Judychamagnee »

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #461 on: September 04, 2022, 10:55:22 PM »
def the closest thing to a vx21/mk1 look on HD for sure. could even bump the audio levels up by 1 or 2. good lucks dude. fuck tapes
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

gorf_life

« Reply #462 on: September 09, 2022, 12:06:52 PM »
Just finished up this first vid I've made using an XF200 w/ my old ass GL1 MK2.  There's also a bit of hi8 footage in there.

Definitely was inspired/helped by this thread.  Thanks y'all.

https://youtu.be/flzINXsodms

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #463 on: September 09, 2022, 02:37:16 PM »
Does anyone have experience with any of the following fisheyes?

• Tokina SZ 8mm F2.8 Fisheye MF
  • 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 II
  • TTArtisan 7.5mm f/2

I am looking for a fisheye with a image circle big enough to film 16:9 with a full frame camera (no crop) and be able to crop to 4:3 without much vignetting. The 7artisans and the TTartisans don't have removable lenshoods so some cutting will be neccesary. The tokina looks promising despite not being the best optical quality, I think for video it is enough.

Other options are the tokina 10-17 mm (does anyone here use it?) and the canon 8-15 mm (the best but also the most expensive).

I also accept suggestions for a fisheye with a image circle big enough to film 16:9 with an aps-c camera (1.5x crop) and be able to crop to 4:3 without much vignetting.

donkey

• donk
« Reply #464 on: September 10, 2022, 01:13:03 PM »
Just finished up this first vid I've made using an XF200 w/ my old ass GL1 MK2.  There's also a bit of hi8 footage in there.

really enjoyed this vid man. i keep leaning towards going for the canon xf200/mk1 set-up and all the footage i see just makes me want it more. do you color grade your footage at all? the only think i don't like is the kinda bland colors and if i had one i would probably go for a color profile that makes it even more washed out (think of like a vx1000 with the color option turned all the way down) or one that makes it more saturated

gorf_life

« Reply #465 on: September 11, 2022, 10:51:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
really enjoyed this vid man. i keep leaning towards going for the canon xf200/mk1 set-up and all the footage i see just makes me want it more. do you color grade your footage at all? the only think i don't like is the kinda bland colors and if i had one i would probably go for a color profile that makes it even more washed out (think of like a vx1000 with the color option turned all the way down) or one that makes it more saturated

Thanks! 

No, i do not color grade at all.  The camera is using the default color profile.  What you see here is exactly what comes out of the camera.

I used to do a lot of grading, but I've moved onto the philosophy of spending as little time as possible working on a vid because everything is so disposable in 2022.  The XF200 really helps in this regard of no longer having to capture tapes.  Just mark in camera, and transfer only the clips marked.  It's heavenly.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #466 on: September 11, 2022, 02:32:52 PM »
always love seeing max murphy footage <3 couple things. def gotta get some sort of mic for it, even if its as cheap as a rode video micro (soft wheels will help line audio too). bumping sharpness up in cam or a little in post will help a lot, using a high shutter speed of at least 500 will help too. and take off the lens hood of the MK2 and leave it inside the lens cap so you dont get that weird vignetting. and again more max murphy! love that dudes skating
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

gorf_life

« Reply #467 on: September 12, 2022, 06:11:21 AM »
always love seeing max murphy footage <3 couple things. def gotta get some sort of mic for it, even if its as cheap as a rode video micro (soft wheels will help line audio too). bumping sharpness up in cam or a little in post will help a lot, using a high shutter speed of at least 500 will help too. and take off the lens hood of the MK2 and leave it inside the lens cap so you dont get that weird vignetting. and again more max murphy! love that dudes skating

Thanks for watching!  I actually purposefully avoid using 1/500, I want to avoid the soap opera video look. 

I have a Rode video mic from the SLR days.  Not sure how I could mount the thing up without it dong'n out into the fish eye footage.  I'll have to brainstorm.

Noted on sharpness, I noticed it was kind of soft.

Always plenty more of Max to come.  He is never not skating.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #468 on: September 12, 2022, 09:03:26 PM »
just dropped a new part with my homie for our local shop out here in washington. filmed with the af-100/meike 3.5mm and hvx-200a for the long lens footage. i wasnt sure how i would like the meike fisheye at first because of the price/quality compared to the 8-15 canon lens but after using it for my last few edits, i am completely sold on this thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUftguEH7Mk&t=109s

somehow I missed this. great fucking clip dude. fish looks awesome, whole thing looks great

and as always:

fuck tapes

Thejumpoff

• Rep: 4
« Reply #469 on: September 15, 2022, 07:03:24 AM »
Here’s a test clip of my pretty budget setup that is kind of the poor man’s version of bataards setup. It’s a Sony cx900 (non 4K version of an ax100. Still shoots 1080 60p). 37mm opteka and a Sony ms908c mic. Still need to play around with the settings more, but looks pretty solid.

https://youtu.be/4e6gc8LdvO8

Pic of the setup

« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 07:13:55 AM by Thejumpoff »

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #470 on: September 15, 2022, 01:16:59 PM »
Here’s a test clip of my pretty budget setup that is kind of the poor man’s version of bataards setup. It’s a Sony cx900 (non 4K version of an ax100. Still shoots 1080 60p). 37mm opteka and a Sony ms908c mic. Still need to play around with the settings more, but looks pretty solid.

Pic of the setup

Looks really good and that compact ass setup looks fun to use. i'm also on the 37mm opteka/MS908 combo just with a panasonic camcorder. your vig def looks sharper than mine. is that a huge ass spacer on there?

What setting do you put the ms908 on? 90 degrees or 120? I never remember which one i set it to and one definitely sounds better than the other. I need to do some proper tests.

Also, if you set your timeline to 1080p or even higher, youtube will give you higher bitrates so your footage will look better in the youtube player.

Thejumpoff

« Reply #471 on: September 15, 2022, 02:25:53 PM »
Expand Quote

Pic of the setup

[close]

Looks really good and that compact ass setup looks fun to use. i'm also on the 37mm opteka/MS908 combo just with a panasonic camcorder. your vig def looks sharper than mine. is that a huge ass spacer on there?

What setting do you put the ms908 on? 90 degrees or 120? I never remember which one i set it to and one definitely sounds better than the other. I need to do some proper tests.

Also, if you set your timeline to 1080p or even higher, youtube will give you higher bitrates so your footage will look better in the youtube player.

Thanks for the info to get YouTube to have higher bitrates. On the mic I have been putting it on 120, but don’t really know the difference between the two.

I had the same Panasonic camera you had and the vig was always a little blurry for me as well. I’ve gotten really sharp vig on a canon g40, but due to the type of stabilizer it uses the vig would shake a little even with the stabilizer off. On the cx900 I am just using a 62-37 step down ring. And then scaling footage about 122%
I don’t love the settings on this camera compared to the canon, but dig the output and the non shakey vig

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #472 on: September 19, 2022, 11:34:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Pic of the setup

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the info to get YouTube to have higher bitrates. On the mic I have been putting it on 120, but don’t really know the difference between the two.

I had the same Panasonic camera you had and the vig was always a little blurry for me as well. I’ve gotten really sharp vig on a canon g40, but due to the type of stabilizer it uses the vig would shake a little even with the stabilizer off. On the cx900 I am just using a 62-37 step down ring. And then scaling footage about 122%
I don’t love the settings on this camera compared to the canon, but dig the output and the non shakey vig

Interesting, thanks for sharing all this, might help many others who might go down the same path trying to find an older affordable cam. I have been looking at the Canon HF-G series for months but that vig situation makes it kind of a non starter.

a microphone thread is probably necessary too...

Thejumpoff

« Reply #473 on: September 20, 2022, 08:14:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Interesting, thanks for sharing all this, might help many others who might go down the same path trying to find an older affordable cam. I have been looking at the Canon HF-G series for months but that vig situation makes it kind of a non starter.

a microphone thread is probably necessary too...
https://youtu.be/2jG83Q6HmM8

Here’s a test of the g40. It’s not horrible but if you stare at the vig it shakes a bit when you start pushing fast/hit bumps. Could also just use a vig overlay with it. If that doesn’t bother You can currently get a xa20 for like 425 on eBay without the handle and just make your own. My friend had one and it’s almost exactly the same as the g30-g40

Thejumpoff

« Reply #474 on: October 06, 2022, 03:06:57 PM »
Does anyone have experience with any of the following fisheyes?

• Tokina SZ 8mm F2.8 Fisheye MF
  • 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 II
  • TTArtisan 7.5mm f/2

I am looking for a fisheye with a image circle big enough to film 16:9 with a full frame camera (no crop) and be able to crop to 4:3 without much vignetting. The 7artisans and the TTartisans don't have removable lenshoods so some cutting will be neccesary. The tokina looks promising despite not being the best optical quality, I think for video it is enough.

Other options are the tokina 10-17 mm (does anyone here use it?) and the canon 8-15 mm (the best but also the most expensive).

I also accept suggestions for a fisheye with a image circle big enough to film 16:9 with an aps-c camera (1.5x crop) and be able to crop to 4:3 without much vignetting.

Saw this online about running an 8mm Samyang on a full frame. Probably pretty similar lens to the Tokina. Would love to see how the Tokina looks.

https://www.panotwins.de/mmatern_20150610_8410_walimex8mmonff_web-2/

kevfromflorida

« Reply #475 on: November 08, 2022, 07:33:41 PM »
Really diggin this vid from Florida homies  8)

https://youtu.be/pAdtkkgxMEs

Hvx200 filmed by Ben Eubank

donkey

• donk
« Reply #476 on: November 15, 2022, 08:02:25 AM »

https://youtu.be/pAdtkkgxMEs

These guys are the best, Ben is the GOAT

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #477 on: November 16, 2022, 09:00:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

These guys are the best, Ben is the GOAT

+1. great clip great squad

kevfromflorida

« Reply #478 on: November 22, 2022, 12:10:42 PM »
https://youtu.be/eYAp3Lw7SbU

Hpx 4:3 from ABQ and Colorado
Some clips are 480i and a lot of scene file trial and error.
Classic throwaway vid. Enjoy 💖

JMSneep

• Rep: 147
« Reply #479 on: December 12, 2022, 11:09:13 AM »
My new 4:3 HD video "Hollandsch Diep" just came out.

GH5 - Meike 3.5

https://youtu.be/0ZjMQDc1i3Q