Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 70457 times)

donkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -66
  • donk
Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #510 on: February 24, 2023, 07:00:12 AM »
Hello everybody, I recently made this video, what do you think about the video format? please feel free to feel completely honest :)

i really liked this video dude. i don't think i would ever go for a gh5/meike set up but im a sucker for the footy when its filmed well, and you definitely got the sauce for it. the video format is odd and the effects are interesting but it's tasteful!

Thejumpoff

• Rep: 4
« Reply #511 on: February 24, 2023, 07:34:46 AM »
I'm currently filming with:
HD
GH5 + meike 6.5mm 2.0f for fisheye with a rode videomicro mic
Panasonic hcx1500 for long lens standard mic

VX
vx2100 + modded mk2 , unfortunately the lens I put inbetween got a bit scratched and sometimes you notice it in the footy.

But this video was made all with the HD setup, the snippets at the end are filmed with the compact olympus photocamera you can see in the video.

Do you use a vig overlay? Do you film in 4:3 anamorphic mode?

Deepsearch

• Rep: 2
« Reply #512 on: February 26, 2023, 03:05:46 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm currently filming with:
HD
GH5 + meike 6.5mm 2.0f for fisheye with a rode videomicro mic
Panasonic hcx1500 for long lens standard mic

VX
vx2100 + modded mk2 , unfortunately the lens I put inbetween got a bit scratched and sometimes you notice it in the footy.

But this video was made all with the HD setup, the snippets at the end are filmed with the compact olympus photocamera you can see in the video.
[close]

Do you use a vig overlay? Do you film in 4:3 anamorphic mode?

There is no vig overlay, i film exactly in anamorphic 4:3 and then on the pc i add a lens distorsion to correct the vig

Deepsearch

« Reply #513 on: February 26, 2023, 03:09:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Hello everybody, I recently made this video, what do you think about the video format? please feel free to feel completely honest :)

[close]

i really liked this video dude. i don't think i would ever go for a gh5/meike set up but im a sucker for the footy when its filmed well, and you definitely got the sauce for it. the video format is odd and the effects are interesting but it's tasteful!

Thanks brother! I believe my fisheye setup is a bit odd, but it does the job and it does it beautifully with the exact look i want it to have, never going back to another camera ;)

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #514 on: February 26, 2023, 08:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks brother! I believe my fisheye setup is a bit odd, but it does the job and it does it beautifully with the exact look i want it to have, never going back to another camera ;)
i surprisingly like it too. if you upgraded to the GH5s you could have a slightly wider image even.

youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

christopherwalters

• Rep: 0
« Reply #515 on: February 26, 2023, 11:56:31 AM »
Has anyone tried out the Canon XC10? I'm looking to get a camcorder as I already have a 58mm Opteka

Thejumpoff

« Reply #516 on: February 27, 2023, 07:01:30 AM »
Has anyone tried out the Canon XC10? I'm looking to get a camcorder as I already have a 58mm Opteka

Dude to the zoom mechanism on that lens being similar to a Dslr I don’t think you would be able to mount an opteka on an xc10. The canon G series (g30,g40,g50) and any of the xa models are probably more of what your looking for. I have had an xa20 and a g40 and I like the Sony ax100 and cx900 better as I found there was a little bit of shakiness to the vig even with the stabilizer turned off on the canon cameras.

christopherwalters

« Reply #517 on: March 03, 2023, 12:02:10 PM »
Any reccomendations for a mirrorless camera setup that won't break the bank. I'm torn between getting a camcorder setup and a mirrorless camera setup. Camcorder setup as the zoom rocker is way better for long lens. Mirrorless as the output and quality is really good(anything Chris Mulhern puts out).

Any help would be appreciated.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #518 on: March 05, 2023, 06:46:29 PM »
Any reccomendations for a mirrorless camera setup that won't break the bank. I'm torn between getting a camcorder setup and a mirrorless camera setup. Camcorder setup as the zoom rocker is way better for long lens. Mirrorless as the output and quality is really good(anything Chris Mulhern puts out).

Any help would be appreciated.

Based on what I have seen here, for cheap mirrorless setups, pretty much everyone is running a used GH5 and Meike 6.5mm fish. Mulhern uses an FS series body but that will break the bank if you factor in what lenses he's using.

But then if you look closer, almost everyone with a GH5 has a second camcorder for long lens, because zooming on a Mirrorless lens is such a pain in the ass.

So you're in the same pickle as the rest of us --

• get a camorder with a fisheye for an all in one, but deal with less than ideal cheap fisheyes like Opteka, not quite as good image quality, and relatively worse low light, or
  • go Mirrorless GH5 and have your footage look great, but have your setup be multiple cameras, crazy eazyhandle rigs, multiple lenses on the sesh, etc.

Personally, I am an entry level filmer, so I copped a very simple Panasonic TM900 camcorder and opteka fisheye and external mic. It fits in a very small bag, is very light, and the whole setup was like $450. I can shoot long or fish with a single camera and a light lens, with about 1 minute of time to screw the fish on and off. The fisheye vig is a little dull, the rim of the fish is a little distorted, but all in all for making homie edits for youtube and learning how to film it has been great.

These cameras retain their value pretty well, so I wouldn't sweat your first purchase. Get something cheap you can see an example of on youtube and think "this looks good" and run with it for a year. You can always sell/upgrade as you go

I'm not sure if you've filmed before, but if you haven't, just know your first 5 edits are gonna be total trash (speaking from experience) so the cam doesn't matter that much. The important thing is to get out in the streets and start filming ASAP.

christopherwalters

« Reply #519 on: March 05, 2023, 10:02:27 PM »
Yeah I kinda figured that most people would use a GH5 with either a meike fisheye or Samyang equivalent.

There’s a not so recent new balance video of Tiago and towards the end Pekka Lovis filmed some of the clips and he uses a GH5 but the footage came out so good that made me want to go the mirrorless route.

I’ve filmed a couple of homie edits in the past, the most recent one was filmed on a vx2000 with a opteka 0.3 fisheye(link down below)

Me and my homie would’ve kept filming on the cam had it not fucked out completely. I still have the fisheye which is perfect for a camcorder, either ax100 or ax700 depending on how much I can get it for.

Thanks a lot for your help, I think for now I’ll get a camcorder for the zoom rocker and slowly build up a second mirrorless setup.

OwlGreen

• Rep: -126
« Reply #520 on: March 21, 2023, 08:27:34 AM »
Does anyone know if the glass is identical on all the Opteka 0.3x fisheye adapters with attachment threads from 52-72mm? If I want to shoot HD 4:3 on an HVX200, will a 72mm Opteka with several spacer rings produce the same image as the 52mm version with no spacers? Thanks.

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #521 on: March 21, 2023, 10:35:37 AM »
Does anyone know if the glass is identical on all the Opteka 0.3x fisheye adapters with attachment threads from 52-72mm? If I want to shoot HD 4:3 on an HVX200, will a 72mm Opteka with several spacer rings produce the same image as the 52mm version with no spacers? Thanks.
its all the same glass with different filter threads but i would go with the 72mm. you'll need an 82-72mm step down ring tho. you can see what it looks like here

hvx has a blurrier image and less wide because of the different lens the hpx has
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

OwlGreen

• Rep: -126
« Reply #522 on: March 21, 2023, 01:27:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
its all the same glass with different filter threads but i would go with the 72mm. you'll need an 82-72mm step down ring tho. you can see what it looks like here

hvx has a blurrier image and less wide because of the different lens the hpx has

In the video you linked the person is using a 52mm Kapkur. I just was watching Ben Jones' video and he said something about using the 52mm version if you want to do 4:3 HD. Are you sure the glass is all the same? So on an HVX shooting 4:3 HD I'd have the same field of view, and same amount of vignetting with both the 52mm and 72mm Opteka 0.3x?

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #523 on: March 22, 2023, 08:11:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

In the video you linked the person is using a 52mm Kapkur. I just was watching Ben Jones' video and he said something about using the 52mm version if you want to do 4:3 HD. Are you sure the glass is all the same? So on an HVX shooting 4:3 HD I'd have the same field of view, and same amount of vignetting with both the 52mm and 72mm Opteka 0.3x?
theyre all based on the century mk2, a clone of it. i would think having a bigger back opening would be better and less restrictive no?
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

Thejumpoff

« Reply #524 on: March 22, 2023, 10:41:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
its all the same glass with different filter threads but i would go with the 72mm. you'll need an 82-72mm step down ring tho. you can see what it looks like

[close]

[close]
theyre all based on the century mk2, a clone of it. i would think having a bigger back opening would be better and less restrictive no?

Saw these test clips of a 52mm on YouTube. I believe they all have the same size rear element so the only difference is the thread size. Hence a 52mm with two step down rings would look the same as a 72mm with one step down and one spacer ring. If you don’t already own a 52mm I would say get a 72mm cause if you want to film 16x9 you will only need one step up ring not two.

nollieheelnoseslide

« Reply #525 on: April 09, 2023, 01:19:33 AM »
Quentin Guthrie with the HPX x MK1 setup for NB Numeric

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #526 on: April 09, 2023, 10:46:54 AM »
so good. one of the best vx filmers so i knew it would translate. a bit too much vig for me but its prob hard to crop too much when you only have 720 to play with. hard af edit. 4:37 was insane
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #527 on: April 10, 2023, 02:03:14 PM »

So good! Hope he sticks with this setup.

To me it seemed like maybe it was a little blocky at times? Like the bitrate was too low or something. This is an HD camera, it shouldn't be so murky/muddy

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #528 on: April 27, 2023, 11:38:41 AM »
6 years after making this thread i finally have something to show for my obsession with this format  8)

10 mins in nyc filmed with a panasonic hdc-tm900, opteka 37mm, sony ms-908c.  i started to figure out the settings about 6 months into filming with this so some clips, especially night stuff, are total dogshit

looking forward to filming more, gonna experiment with more in-camera sharpening, might try a opteka 58mm to get a little more glass/wideness, and also might cop one of those sennheiser mke200's and see how those sound.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #529 on: May 02, 2023, 01:41:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So good! Hope he sticks with this setup.

To me it seemed like maybe it was a little blocky at times? Like the bitrate was too low or something. This is an HD camera, it shouldn't be so murky/muddy

it's grain (high db) compressed by youtube.

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #530 on: May 02, 2023, 12:59:21 PM »
filmed this over the last 2 years, mostly after work and on weekends.
GH4 + Canon 8-15mm + smallrig coldshoe handle (excusing my shity shaky filming)
just bought myself the eazy handle replica off of etsy, hope this will improve the shaky part.

Longlense is a HVX200

« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 01:10:33 PM by fickdiepolizei666 »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #531 on: May 07, 2023, 07:43:03 AM »
filmed this over the last 2 years, mostly after work and on weekends.
GH4 + Canon 8-15mm + smallrig coldshoe handle (excusing my shity shaky filming)
just bought myself the eazy handle replica off of etsy, hope this will improve the shaky part.

Longlense is a HVX200

That was really sick. Filming was good and some heavy tricks in there. Fakie fs 360 down these stairs. Damn.
IG: @flowterspace

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #532 on: May 09, 2023, 11:37:28 AM »
New edit ip put together 4:3 HD, actually all shot in 4k, and a bunch of VHS with a MK1 death lens, put a ton of slow mo just to bum everyone out

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RcfJ8bA3rqY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

christopherwalters

« Reply #533 on: May 10, 2023, 05:17:17 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get a decent working HPX170 besides eBay. I’m a little sketched out to buy one off there especially because I’ll be shipping it quite far. Any leads would be appreciated!

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #534 on: May 10, 2023, 01:50:01 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a decent working HPX170 besides eBay. I’m a little sketched out to buy one off there especially because I’ll be shipping it quite far. Any leads would be appreciated!
https://www.adorama.com/us1663505.html adorama usually has some stuff kicking around. they have this hmc150 (hpx but films in a different codec to sd card). the only hpx they have rn is the PAL hpx171E (50fps). https://www.adorama.com/us1505647.html
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #535 on: May 11, 2023, 03:44:03 PM »
New edit ip put together 4:3 HD, actually all shot in 4k, and a bunch of VHS with a MK1 death lens, put a ton of slow mo just to bum everyone out

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RcfJ8bA3rqY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
The fisheye looks very wide. Sadly you can see the camera grip on the edge of the frame.
I suppose you are either using the laowa 4mm, the meike 3.5mm or the 7artisans 4mm. Apparently the laowa shows more of the camera grip even though it is the less wide of the three, just because it is so small. I also depends on how big the camera grip is.
What camera are you using? GH5?

Beltran

« Reply #536 on: May 14, 2023, 11:46:48 PM »
My contribution to this thread.

c-dock

• Rep: 10
  • Lurker
« Reply #537 on: May 17, 2023, 07:55:41 PM »
Just recently upgraded from VX/MK1 to HMC/MK1. Curious to see what you guys think

Jordan Wiens

• @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #538 on: May 17, 2023, 08:01:35 PM »
Just recently upgraded from VX/MK1 to HMC/MK1. Curious to see what you guys think
the stretch u did is quite obvious. its easy to tell when you know the vig is supposed to be circular and not oval. if you need to do it for whatever reason just ease off a bit to where its not noticeable.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #539 on: May 17, 2023, 08:20:11 PM »

The mk1 footy reminds me of DVX footage from back in the day and I've always loved that camera. Can you post a pic of your setup? I'd be interested to see it.