Author Topic: Vans. Core pass or not?  (Read 17139 times)

Paul Cicero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -258
Vans. Core pass or not?
« on: April 26, 2017, 03:31:35 AM »
So my wife got me a pair of Vans (slip on pro's) for chilling, but I'm seriously considering skating them. I'm proud to have supported brands like Emerica, Lakai and Fallen for the last decade, but it got me thinking, why doesn't Vans get the core pass? Their history in skating obviously speaks for itself, they continue to give pro models and seem to be down for their riders individuality and other sponsors (vs Nike not letting their riders have clothing sponsors) Thoughts?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Vans. Core pass or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 03:36:43 AM »
People are gonna bring up VF Corp and say this and that, but i always assumed Vans did get the core nod, even if its not as quite a significant pass as the skater run/owned deals. Vans have been around forever and for the most part in the skateboarding side of things stayed pretty true to message.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -258
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:41:44 AM »
People are gonna bring up VF Corp and say this and that, but i always assumed Vans did get the core nod, even if its not as quite a significant pass as the skater run/owned deals. Vans have been around forever and for the most part in the skateboarding side of things stayed pretty true to message.

How I feel as well Paco, interested to hear what others think.

thomas kook

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 04:00:46 AM »
it sucks that 99% of people wearing vans in my city don't skate but i agree with paco for everything else

bo golden

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:07:36 AM »
They get a pass.  But I wear Nike so what do I know?

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 04:19:55 AM »
Vans still pulls me both ways.
Glad they put money back into the thing that kept them alive before every norm on the high street was wearing them however opening up stores and stopping to stock the local skate shop is a dick move, then they don't even stock syndicates!
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 04:54:35 AM »
Vans still pulls me both ways.
Glad they put money back into the thing that kept them alive before every norm on the high street was wearing them however opening up stores and stopping to stock the local skate shop is a dick move, then they don't even stock syndicates!

Def get the point you're making but syndicates aren't produced any more.

I'd say vans should be looked at as a core brand, regardless of being owned by vf corp. it's  more how they present themselves to the skate community and the way they market themselves which makes them different than Nike and adidas.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 05:45:38 AM »
^ ha, that dates the last time I went out with the intention of buying vans.  :-[
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Donald Rump

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 05:49:23 AM »
With every douche nozzle and their dog wearing them they are not core.

I wear Nike jock co simply because they make the best quality skate shoes.

asakusa75

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 06:00:49 AM »
I love Half Cabs, core or not. They fucking rule for skating.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 06:08:57 AM »
Vans have been around forever and for the most part in the skateboarding side of things stayed pretty true to message.
this

I love Half Cabs, core or not. They fucking rule for skating.
and this

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

dirtywork81

• Rep: 16
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 06:21:33 AM »
It does bug me a little that Vans has outlet stores and shops in malls but that being said I will 100% support Vans and wear them with pride. They have always been true to the skate community. Look how much money they put back into skateboarding (Vans bowl series, multiple skateparks throughout the years). The Van Doren family seems to generally care about skateboarding. You always see Steve at events grilling up food for everyone.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »
i fuck with og era and authentics. dog town style

MC3

• Rep: 142
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 07:25:57 AM »
I'd shake Steve Van Dorens hand
(Cool Trick GIF)

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 376
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 07:28:10 AM »
Vans gets a core pass because they were adopted by the culture; they didn't insert or buy their way in.
Skateboarding wanted vans. Nike and co wanted skateboarding.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

shit_for_brains

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 07:46:47 AM »
Subtitle: What kind of marketing works on you?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 07:49:21 AM »
Vans makes shit shoes and doesn't support small shops. The requirements to get an account are pretty fucked on top of going up against their outlets AND mall stores.
you never know about pre-cum 

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 07:56:14 AM »
Vans gets a core pass because they were adopted by the culture; they didn't insert or buy their way in.
Skateboarding wanted vans. Nike and co wanted skateboarding.

I'm on this page and will add vans has been with skateboarding and stayed with skateboarding. They never left even during the winter.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Salty Lame Ass Poosey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -265
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
Pass
Skateboarding don't owe you shit but wheel bite in the rain -Jake Pheps

ShoNuff

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »
Will always be core.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
  • S&H
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 08:45:11 AM »
waffle sole is simply the best gripping sole ever.

I like this thread because some of the nike kooks are exposing themselves

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 08:50:49 AM »
Vans makes shit shoes and doesn't support small shops. The requirements to get an account are pretty fucked on top of going up against their outlets AND mall stores.
This. They have better marketing and have been around longer which doesn't bring attention to the more shady stuff. Pretty sure DC and Etnies were really the first brands to really start paying riders significant money, and very few people give DC a core pass these days.

In the end though, I don't really care. A lot of these "core" companies fucked over small skate shops by selling to massive mall-shops and online retailers in significant bulk that allowed them to sell goods at a cheaper price than your local skate shop, which then led them to be receptive when SB came around. Eventually, Nike fucked them over too in the end, but core-brands opened the door for Nike and Adidas to enter the marketplace. It was all good for these brands when they were cashing Active, Zumiez, or West 49 checks but now want to cry "core" when large-scale corporations come to take them out.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:09 AM »
Core died the day DVS cut their MotoCross team.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2017, 08:58:59 AM »
Yo OP, been rocking those slip on pros, and they're the best!

I would give em a pass because they were there at the start, and kinda fell into skateboarding, where as Nike didn't care and now wants to own it outright. Plus their shoes are great and team is rad.

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2017, 09:00:42 AM »
do they still use cardboard
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -107
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2017, 09:05:07 AM »

Seriously, they've already gotten the "core pass" for years. I respect their place in skate culture but we can't act like theyre not one of the biggest shoe companies PERIOD. Theres more non-skaters buying vans than actual ones, and they even got their own outlet stores n shit. If it weren't for their exceptional marketing over the years they'd be the furthest thing from core. They didn't even start out as skate shoes they just saw that wave coming early and rode that shit til the wheels fell off. Decades later people still sitting here wondering if the billion dollar shoe company that has their stuff at Kohls gets a "core pass". Fucking genius

That's why I'm always at their neck tho because I do like their designs but they're being cheap as fuck for pretty much only making vulcs within their skate division (don't even get me started on that wafflecup or ultracush nonsense). They should be at the forefront of skate shoe tech given their status and resources but they're content with those high profit margins making cheap ass vulcs. Vulc shoe construction came out in the fuckin 1920's, how the hell are people still skating these shits? One division of Vans is probably worth more than all of  sole tech combined, and they as a much smaller core company are putting out much more innovative and better performing footwear. Vans needs to step it up in that regard.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2017, 09:19:41 AM »
I don't care about Vans either way.

I only had one pair and tried to skate in those things once. Bad idea as there is not much of an actual shoe to skate, no support and I can only imagine that they last for a few sessions. Fuck that, don't be a sucker.

micky682

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2017, 09:25:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously, they've already gotten the "core pass" for years. I respect their place in skate culture but we can't act like theyre not one of the biggest shoe companies PERIOD. Theres more non-skaters buying vans than actual ones, and they even got their own outlet stores n shit. If it weren't for their exceptional marketing over the years they'd be the furthest thing from core. They didn't even start out as skate shoes they just saw that wave coming early and rode that shit til the wheels fell off. Decades later people still sitting here wondering if the billion dollar shoe company that has their stuff at Kohls gets a "core pass". Fucking genius

That's why I'm always at their neck tho because I do like their designs but they're being cheap as fuck for pretty much only making vulcs within their skate division (don't even get me started on that wafflecup or ultracush nonsense). They should be at the forefront of skate shoe tech given their status and resources but they're content with those high profit margins making cheap ass vulcs. Vulc shoe construction came out in the fuckin 1920's, how the hell are people still skating these shits? One division of Vans is probably worth more than all of  sole tech combined, and they as a much smaller core company are putting out much more innovative and better performing footwear. Vans needs to step it up in that regard.
Nike has a ton of $$$$ and they also aren't making the best quality shoes. Thin suede on the GT blazers, introducing new technology solely to increase the retail price of shoes, not giving pro skaters actual pro models, using cheap eva foam insoles instead of PU, I could go on and on. Vans is still in business because vulc shoes, when done right, work for skating. Skateboarding was invented in Vans because they work.

micky682

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 09:27:19 AM »
waffle sole is simply the best gripping sole ever.

I like this thread because some of the nike kooks are exposing themselves

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 09:30:03 AM »
If you use the word: core/brand/skateboarding in one sentence
something is wrong with you.
This is 90s transworld business talk.

We talk about companys- some are successful-
other not. For professional skateboarding we need
successful company who pay skaters. Thats it.

I like Vans because they have done good things and i like
to rock the same shit then 20 years ago.
White shirt, blue jeans, white halfcab.