Author Topic: How would you make a lame brand cool again?  (Read 14069 times)

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
Re: How would you make a lame brand cool again?
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 07:11:12 AM »
Dwindle reps bout to be in here like

only dwindle brand that has a chance of being "cool" is enjoi, and the main thing holding enjoi back is the fact that their a dwindle brand.

Big Baby Jesus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 07:20:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Dwindle reps bout to be in here like

[close]

only dwindle brand that has a chance of being "cool" is enjoi, and the main thing holding enjoi back is the fact that their a dwindle brand.

Blind could be cool again too, you just need to scrap the entire team and start over and revert the art direction to early to mid 90s. Only reason that probably won't happen is because dwindle is owned by a public company that has shareholders to answer to resulting in profits and revenue being more important than reputation. If they just wanted to break even but be cool they could do it.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Jacob Gary

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 07:31:09 AM »
Expand Quote
DC is the only brand I see that has hopes of getting back to being "cool" again. You can tell they're "evolving" with the times and trends through T Funk, Chase Webb and Shanihan. My overuse of quotations was to emphasize the bullshit trend hopping-ness of the situation we as a community tend to cultivate, myself included.
[close]

DC's problems are-
1. Sold all over TJ Maxx/Marshalls/Ross to randoms
2. Heavily associated with the SoCal "Bro Dog"/Moto X scene

They have some good product though.

Yeah except for the puffy shoe era is coming back and DC will be on top for a minute again.

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 08:40:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
DC is the only brand I see that has hopes of getting back to being "cool" again. You can tell they're "evolving" with the times and trends through T Funk, Chase Webb and Shanihan. My overuse of quotations was to emphasize the bullshit trend hopping-ness of the situation we as a community tend to cultivate, myself included.
[close]

DC's problems are-

[close]

Yeah except for the puffy shoe era is coming back and DC will be on top for a minute again.

Are we really going to ignore this, add it to the list

HungUp

• Rep: 40
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 09:40:27 AM »

Irony?  Nah, real answer is... you don't. No not never.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 09:55:07 AM »
^^^Maple...brought back memories of Donger's face high ollies and 4 block lines...Miss those days

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 10:26:30 AM »
For most you'd have to revamp the team. In theory, you could try to do something like Adidas Originals with Blind and World. Darkstar was never cool, so I don't think you can appeal to nostalgia.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 10:38:12 AM »
For most you'd have to revamp the team. In theory, you could try to do something like Adidas Originals with Blind and World. Darkstar was never cool, so I don't think you can appeal to nostalgia.

darkstar battalion era was cool.
dope team, dope video & their
shtick wasn't played out. i dug
it. that video 'till this day, is fire

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2017, 10:49:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

darkstar battalion era was cool.
dope team, dope video & their
shtick wasn't played out. i dug
it. that video 'till this day, is fire
That video had good stuff, but I don't think they had enough popularity or are iconic enough to appeal to Nostalgia. If World or Blind hired McKee and Cliver for a couple runs and silk screened decks, they could absolutely appeal to nostalgia to an extent I don't think a brand like Darkstar could. The main issue on top of that though is, you'd need to have a team people cared about. I back some of Blinds current skaters (mainly Morgan Smith), but no one cares about their team.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2017, 02:42:26 PM »
agree. for me, the only things
that  could possibly revamp a
brand that is considered lame
is if they stick together a good
team AND film a full length vid
that's coherent with good parts
filming editing music and so on.

Mongoloid

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2017, 02:59:19 PM »
I feel like Santa Cruz is a good example of a company that had a long period of being stale, but turned it all around.

I love the moves they are making these days (Aside from some of the collabs).

Jacob Gary

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2017, 03:10:05 PM »
I feel like Santa Cruz is a good example of a company that had a long period of being stale, but turned it all around.

I personally still feel like they're stale. I would say that the only real reason you could say they're doing well is because of their OG status. Nobody I know that skates thinks current Santa Cruz is cool (which is just one area though).

It mostly just seems like another Zumiez brand to me.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2017, 04:03:17 PM »
I've had a couple of friends praising Darkstar wheels.

DC is doing something for me again these years. I really gave up on them at one point. I know I'm not alone.

One of the best shoes I've ever had was Etnies' Jamerson 2. It was cheap, it was simple, cool looking, very durable, logo was small, nice color ways, good to skate right out of the box, never got soggy.

I don't see born loosers acquiring sudden greatnes for re-establishing their brand. Some brands could re-gain quality, but I don't see SLAP approval beating numbers at business meatings.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2017, 04:12:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I personally still feel like they're stale. I would say that the only real reason you could say they're doing well is because of their OG status. Nobody I know that skates thinks current Santa Cruz is cool (which is just one area though).

The veteren team thing saved santa cruz from extinction.  They even had a different logo for a 5 years or so but went back to the old one cause the veteren thing sold well.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

ImportantGuy

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2017, 05:37:21 PM »
I like how certain people think their opinion on what's cool is the Truth. Someone somewhere thinks Blind is the shit.

ckswank

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2017, 06:04:58 PM »
irony

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2017, 06:17:48 PM »
I like how certain people think their opinion on what's cool is the Truth. Someone somewhere thinks Blind is the shit.

hopefully, cuz their new video isnt changing anyones mind about blind

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like the current Santa Cruz. The last board I skated was one of their P2's, granted it was on super clearance, but I still consider that supporting them. Like someone else said nostalgia goes a long way, especially in skating. Their team also helps also, I'm pretty sure both Jason Jesse and Eric Dresses are on the top 25 influential skaters list, plus they have new younger dudes that kill it, Erick Winkowski, Josh Borden, and Tom Asta are pretty cool to watch. I'd also like to add that I'm pretty sure Andrew Cannon is responsible for making Santa Cruz cool again, lame colabs aside. I guess having a smart brand manager is a big help.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2017, 07:30:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

DC's problems are-

[close]

[close]

Are we really going to ignore this, add it to the list
Haha I knew it felt off when I was typing it. Glad to add to the list.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2017, 07:54:21 PM »
Just popped in to say the etnies marana is a really good shoe.

Also the raps

But I'm dead stuck on the lakia freemonts right now
Gentleman ninja warlock

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2017, 08:04:01 PM »
Also, alot of companies have a hard time recovering because they start out really strong ie circa plan b world industries DC etc
Gentleman ninja warlock

ImportantGuy

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2017, 08:21:04 PM »
Skateboarding is a really interesting industry. Something cool for a week is irrelevant the next. All these companies struggling today were the reference in the 90's. It's impossible to measure ''cool'' yet it's the main currency.

I'm just happy to still be excited about skating, watching the shit show unravel and getting a deck in the shins every now and then.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

ImportantGuy

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2017, 09:11:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Eric Dresses
[close]
*picture of Frost wearing a skirt. I just don't have the photoshop skills to make it happen, sorry.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2017, 10:39:43 PM »
Venture is a good example. They were once a shitty price point truck company mostly marketed toward sub-$100 completes. Then they hired Steve Rocco as team manager/creative director and ran with that momentum to the present day.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2017, 04:36:32 AM »
They might never be "cool" but the Jameson XT is probably the best shoe I've skated in the last 5 years.
Ryan Lay's new shoe is great too (once you throw away the stock insole)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2017, 04:46:59 AM »
Darkstar was the shit here for a while. Some giy I skated with also got tbree huuuuuuuuuge darkstar knight heads tattoed on his leg...

I,always loved their wheels though.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2017, 05:31:38 AM »
Any company marketing a product through branding is going to be held up by teeth and nail with their consumer groups. When blind and etnies started they didn't have much competition. The world camp had made a product that sold itself without branding. The branding brought in another group of buyers entirely. Etnies was the first shoe company to do a full video. They had competition with vans and other companies but their branding was better for skating at the time. Little by little both of those companies made bad decisions that hurt their riders. They went for the mall and they kicked off homies. Skaters quit and started their own shit lakai girl krooked even emerica is a rebranding of etnies. "making them cool" again would require them to actually take risks and do something creative. Kicking mike v off so Jeremy fox will ket flip riders wear your shoes for 3 years isn't a good move. Telling gonz to retire because he is too old at 27 is a shit move. Those decisions plague the branding of blind and etnies. Their only hope is to push themselves towards the new generation of skaters that haven't watched their favorite skater get used like an old tramp. Its too late for that too because nike and Adidas have all the best skaters and flow more people than we could count. They are just buying time till the profits are so low they dip out. Funny part is gonz rides for Adidas and mike v skates converse. Fuck u pierre

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2017, 06:05:32 AM »
Kicking mike v off so Jeremy fox will ket flip riders wear your shoes for 3 years isn't a good move.
  Theres a misspelling there so I'm not sure about when the kick off was..   so that would help in telling whether it was a good idea.  Also there can be interpersonal reasons people kick people off, V seems weird.  I wanna keep an open mind tho.  I really hate the one liners he puts out there. "i live in that space, where skating and punk rock collide."
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2017, 06:25:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Kicking mike v off so Jeremy fox will ket flip riders wear your shoes for 3 years isn't a good move.
[close]
  Theres a misspelling there so I'm not sure about when the kick off was..   so that would help in telling whether it was a good idea.  Also there can be interpersonal reasons people kick people off, V seems weird.  I wanna keep an open mind tho.  I really hate the one liners he puts out there. "i live in that space, where skating and punk rock collide."

The misspelling of the word let with a k really inhibited your ability to understand that whole concept? It doesn't seem so with your response. "there can be interpersonal reasons", I wrote that Pierre(etnies) kicked off mike v because he wanted flip riders on the team. Seems pretty clear what happened. They had a meeting (jermey fox wouldn't show) Jeremy was telling Pierre he wouldn't let arto bastien etc sign with etnies unless they kicked off a bunch of riders that "aren't relevant". I used mike as the example because he was the most loyal to the brand and had the best selling pro shoe there for awhile. I've also talked with him about it. Pierre did as jermey told him. Its not about loyalty or even skating with those guys its about curating to the highest selling market they can reach. Now arto bastien mike janoski none of them ride for etnies and they are still just looking for the next "best" kid to market before taking behind the shed shoot
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:33:51 AM by cherry »