Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 537694 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #2280 on: October 24, 2020, 12:07:55 PM »
My new setup (back to skate after 15 years):

Creature 9x33 15WB
Indy 169
Risers 1.25' and 0.25' - will use if needed
Wheels:
Hawks 63mm 78a
Old RICTA 52mm 99a

Have plan to change Ricta to some OJ 53-55mm

welcome! And be sure to post when set up. I have same board dimensions on one set up right now and feels well suited and stable for transition. Street riding gets tiring but with OJ mini juice it’ll be a stable cruiser to pop here and there. Had 169 Ti on it at one point too. What are those blue wheels?

slappy50

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #2281 on: October 24, 2020, 08:36:33 PM »
Expand Quote

Creature 9x33 15WB
Indy 169
Wheels:
Hawks 63mm 78a
Old RICTA 52mm 99a

[close]
welcome! And be sure to post when set up. I have same board dimensions on one set up right now and feels well suited and stable for transition. Street riding gets tiring but with OJ mini juice it’ll be a stable cruiser to pop here and there. Had 169 Ti on it at one point too. What are those blue wheels?
not OP, but they are Hawgs Wheels (a longboard/skateboard brand) based in Vancouver BC. Their wheels are good. Here's the link if ur interested.

https://landyachtz.com/product/easy-63mm/

related, I got a santa cruz dressen deck that's Powerply, which is supposed to be chip resistant and all that. I have been skating it for about 2, maybe 3 weeks at most, and I don't skate particularly gnarly stuff, not hucking down anything more than 3 stairs, and the board's already chipped on me. Like not any regular little chip on the edge or anything, but like part of the top ply has chipped right off. I had an anti-hero board before this that was completely fine 2 months in and then it finally started chipping, and it was just a normal maple board. should I email NHS or just accept it for what it is? thanks pals and shalom.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 08:49:45 PM by slappy50 »
niggling

[/quote]

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #2282 on: October 25, 2020, 02:46:42 AM »
^ hey..hey..hey.. thats 8.7!  ;D
Those blazers have been good to you! And the 159s will work good on a lot of shaped decks.

Hahah my bad, yea I loved those blazers.  ;D
Hella excited to try these 159s out at the curb spot today.

BelknappBruiser

« Reply #2283 on: October 26, 2020, 06:01:52 AM »

Looking forward to finally setting up this "Danny Dicola Ditch Demon"... I blew out my knee in June and it still hasn't healed up enough to skate like I want, so maybe I can get some low impact ditch riding in before the winter hits...

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #2284 on: October 26, 2020, 06:49:14 AM »
Damn, that makes me want to set mine up!
Hope you get well soon and can get more than some ditch action!
Also, 215s or 169s?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2285 on: October 26, 2020, 09:30:19 AM »
Those are 215s in that pic^

Schinken

• Rep: 66
« Reply #2286 on: October 26, 2020, 10:54:02 AM »

Creature 9x33 15WB
Indy 169
Wheels:
Hawks 63mm 78a
Old RICTA 52mm 99a

Nice Setup. Those Hawgs should be nice. I've seen a few videos of ppl sliding them. Would be interesting to hear what you think about them once you have broken them in.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2287 on: October 26, 2020, 02:43:38 PM »

Had a shitty day, so i went into the boxxes of goodies and built this. This time I'm gonna skate it with 6.1 Ventures/ hot pink krooked risers and slimeballs.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 03:56:49 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »

BelknappBruiser

« Reply #2288 on: October 26, 2020, 03:03:32 PM »
Also, 215s or 169s?

Thanks, brother! Never had a knee injury before and have always been able to bounce back from other injuries, so I have been bumming for sure. I had to pick up the 215 trucks, as that's what Danny has on his ditch set up. Ordered them in March from sk8supply.com before the whole COVID thing really hit and they kept pushing back the order even after I saw that other places had them in stock... Had to finally cancel my order and pick them up from Tactics...

TumKayo

« Reply #2289 on: October 26, 2020, 06:29:47 PM »
What are some boards that match up well with 215s? They should be at least 10.5" wide, more if heavily tapered?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2290 on: October 26, 2020, 07:42:33 PM »
What are some boards that match up well with 215s? They should be at least 10.5" wide, more if heavily tapered?

Zip Zogger would probably fit that bill. 10.75 wide. I love that shape with 169’s and I imagine 215’s would be awesome

TumKayo

« Reply #2291 on: October 26, 2020, 08:31:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Zip Zogger would probably fit that bill. 10.75 wide. I love that shape with 169’s and I imagine 215’s would be awesome

I'm trying to convince myself to try a setup like this, the zip zogger and 215s are in stock a few places, but it truly seems like just a cruiser. I did read some old posts, maybe you and others, saying it could ollie well though, which is intriguing.

What would the zogger and 215s do better than the 10" egg on Ace 66 or 169s, besides cruise? I'm loving my 10" egg the more I ride it. The giant egg and my Welcome Effigy 8.8 are my favorite bowl boards right now. Giant egg still cruises so well too, and ollies higher than most of my small boards.

How are you liking your street baller. I'm liking mine for a different reason than I thought I would. It feels super small and light even compared to some thinner and lighter boards, I suspect that it's just cuz it's short. Does the Zogger feel a lot smaller than it is, because it's so short?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #2292 on: October 26, 2020, 09:50:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Also, 215s or 169s?
[close]

Thanks, brother! Never had a knee injury before and have always been able to bounce back from other injuries, so I have been bumming for sure. I had to pick up the 215 trucks, as that's what Danny has on his ditch set up. Ordered them in March from sk8supply.com before the whole COVID thing really hit and they kept pushing back the order even after I saw that other places had them in stock... Had to finally cancel my order and pick them up from Tactics...
F it, may set up mine this week.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

JB77

« Reply #2293 on: October 27, 2020, 03:22:02 AM »

Had a shitty day, so i went into the boxxes of goodies and built this. This time I'm gonna skate it with 6.1 Ventures/ hot pink krooked risers and slimeballs.

This is all-around sick. 

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2294 on: October 27, 2020, 03:27:46 AM »

This is all-around sick.
Thanks man, just setting up made me pretty happy. Cant wait to skate it again.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2295 on: October 27, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm trying to convince myself to try a setup like this, the zip zogger and 215s are in stock a few places, but it truly seems like just a cruiser. I did read some old posts, maybe you and others, saying it could ollie well though, which is intriguing.

What would the zogger and 215s do better than the 10" egg on Ace 66 or 169s, besides cruise? I'm loving my 10" egg the more I ride it. The giant egg and my Welcome Effigy 8.8 are my favorite bowl boards right now. Giant egg still cruises so well too, and ollies higher than most of my small boards.

How are you liking your street baller. I'm liking mine for a different reason than I thought I would. It feels super small and light even compared to some thinner and lighter boards, I suspect that it's just cuz it's short. Does the Zogger feel a lot smaller than it is, because it's so short?

Honestly, the Zip Zogger isn’t any better for any tricks or anything than the big Eggs, but I do like it for Ollies and basic grind/slide tricks. More than anything it’s a super fun feeling board. It’s like riding a toilet seat haha

Man, I have a love/hate thing going on with that a Street baller. I took a break from it and set up another Dane 1. I think the Street baller is one of those decks I just have to be in the perfect mood for, like the Scram Fink. I’ll likely throw it on for a week or two at a time, love it and then get tired of it and switch off.

The Zogger does kind of feel smaller because of the length. The pop on it feels like jumping on a Pogo ball because it’s short with a short but steepish tail.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2296 on: October 27, 2020, 02:39:38 PM »
 The skateshop I grew up in had s pogo ball at one point. It was fun as hell getting fucked up and seeing how high you could stall that lip thing on. As well as other dumb shit, that dumb shits do.

TumKayo

« Reply #2297 on: October 27, 2020, 03:23:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Honestly, the Zip Zogger isn’t any better for any tricks or anything than the big Eggs, but I do like it for Ollies and basic grind/slide tricks. More than anything it’s a super fun feeling board. It’s like riding a toilet seat haha

Man, I have a love/hate thing going on with that a Street baller. I took a break from it and set up another Dane 1. I think the Street baller is one of those decks I just have to be in the perfect mood for, like the Scram Fink. I’ll likely throw it on for a week or two at a time, love it and then get tired of it and switch off.

The Zogger does kind of feel smaller because of the length. The pop on it feels like jumping on a Pogo ball because it’s short with a short but steepish tail.

For skatepark and bowl, I’m enjoying the eggs more than the directional shaped boards. The tails feel more “normal” and functional. I like the street baller better for riding street, ollie and jibbing around flat ground with some speed, and some slappy stuff. But I’m getting more into transition lately. 

I skated my Primi 9.13 egg back to back with a directional welcome effigy 8.8 board, and although the egg nose and tail feel smaller, they again feel more functional. I do like the effigy shape in the same way I like the St Baller though, for directional street skating.

Soo, I’m going to skip the ditch witch (now in stock on heroins shopify and bakerboydist) and craig 10” until the st baller dies, I don’t need multiple directional boards. I want to try a long wb 9” popsicle, I think I’m really gonna dig it. I’m gonna grab one this week.

I put my 10” egg on Ace 66s with .1” risers, and it needs 1/4” risers for sure. I’m getting crazy wheelbite, even when I tighten them too much. I didn’t have this issue on the 169 standards. I love how the aces turn and their overall feel, before I get to the point of wheelbite. I need to figure these trucks out.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2298 on: October 27, 2020, 03:51:11 PM »
The skateshop I grew up in had s pogo ball at one point. It was fun as hell getting fucked up and seeing how high you could stall that lip thing on. As well as other dumb shit, that dumb shits do.

Those things were awesome as long as they were filled all the way up haha. Nothing more depressing than a flat pogo ball

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #2299 on: October 27, 2020, 03:59:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Those things were awesome as long as they were filled all the way up haha. Nothing more depressing than a flat pogo ball

I loved my pogo ball. I got in trouble once for not letting a husky neighbor boy try it though, and declared he might pop it. But a few days later I made amends, and he got to hop around a little.

Fast forward to last Saturday and my fat ass snapped my buddies deck. The circle moved to completion.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #2300 on: October 27, 2020, 04:05:23 PM »
I wonder if this is the first thread on here to get derailed by pogoballs?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2301 on: October 27, 2020, 04:40:08 PM »
I wonder if this is the first thread on here to get derailed by pogoballs?

Ha, well if ever there was going to be a thread that could be derailed by a toy from the 80’s, this would be it!

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2302 on: October 27, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I loved my pogo ball. I got in trouble once for not letting a husky neighbor boy try it though, and declared he might pop it. But a few days later I made amends, and he got to hop around a little.

Fast forward to last Saturday and my fat ass snapped my buddies deck. The circle moved to completion.

Haha, well, now you have to replace the deck with a pogo ball!

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2303 on: October 27, 2020, 04:45:05 PM »

Just to restore some order:

Dane 1 w/jessup
Indy 159 ti
Ricta clouds 56mm 78a (Switching back and forth with F4 54mm 99a conical fulls)
Mini logo bearings

I can’t stop riding Dane 1’s. Saw a Donovan Rice deck at my local the other day which looks very similar and I might try that at some point

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2304 on: October 27, 2020, 04:49:35 PM »

Dane 1 w/jessup
Indy 159 ti
Mini logo bearings

I can’t stop riding Dane 1’s. Saw a Donovan Rice deck at my local the other day which looks very similar and I might try that at some point

God that looks so good.

I loved my last dane1 but haven’t pulled the trigger on another one because I’m always nervous because of the wheel wells

I’ll add mine to help restore order as well.

Polar 1991 nick boserio 9.25
Ace 55s
Spitfire f4 conical full 54s
Reds

And my dog bread.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:56:50 PM by Freelancevagrant »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2305 on: October 27, 2020, 05:05:17 PM »
I wanna skate now. Even more. Love those previous two set up’s. Still want to try the polar 1991 as a do it all. @Sundaynuggets how often are you swapping wheels? I feel like I could easily go back and forth with Keyframes and 99a spits..

Liking my newly acquired ace 55 thanks @FrozenIndustries  break-in period currently but hasn’t been as bad as others have said.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2306 on: October 27, 2020, 05:19:57 PM »
I wanna skate now. Even more. Love those previous two set up’s. Still want to try the polar 1991 as a do it all. @Sundaynuggets how often are you swapping wheels? I feel like I could easily go back and forth with Keyframes and 99a spits..

Liking my newly acquired ace 55 thanks @FrozenIndustries  break-in period currently but hasn’t been as bad as others have said.

The 1991 shape looks awesome. I was thinking of trying a 1992 as it’s shorter, but I should really be thinking of saving some money instead lol. Madness is real!

I switch between hard and soft every day. I skate huge swaths of the city and use soft Rictas for that but throw on hard wheels for ledge spots and parks. With the hard wheels I switch between a few pairs of F4’s, Loopholes and Bones stf regularly, depending on how much sliding I want to do/whatever imaginary qualities I think each has haha

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2307 on: October 27, 2020, 05:25:29 PM »
Expand Quote

Dane 1 w/jessup
Indy 159 ti
Mini logo bearings

[close]

God that looks so good.

I loved my last dane1 but haven’t pulled the trigger on another one because I’m always nervous because of the wheel wells

I’ll add mine to help restore order as well.

Polar 1991 nick boserio 9.25
Ace 55s
Spitfire f4 conical full 54s
Reds

And my dog bread.

That set up looks awesome!

I was curious about the wheel wells too, but they ended up feeling pretty much the same as my other Dane 1 with no wheel wells. Such a good shape

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #2308 on: October 27, 2020, 10:59:06 PM »
hey slap, I have been riding the regular winkowski shape and quite liking it. I’ve gotten myself interested in acquiring the winkowski “birdcage” shape for a little more nose and overall functionality (and shorter wb!) do any pals know where I could find one of these decks, ideally in canada?

my current winkowski setup is the “hellpiercer graphic with ace 55 (silver hangar, black baseplate, custom), popped bones reds, and bones spf 101 54 mm down to about 51 w/ popped reds. it’s a blast

thank you and shalom pals
niggling

[/quote]

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2309 on: October 28, 2020, 02:56:37 AM »
hey slap, I have been riding the regular winkowski shape and quite liking it. I’ve gotten myself interested in acquiring the winkowski “birdcage” shape for a little more nose and overall functionality (and shorter wb!) do any pals know where I could find one of these decks, ideally in canada?

my current winkowski setup is the “hellpiercer graphic with ace 55 (silver hangar, black baseplate, custom), popped bones reds, and bones spf 101 54 mm down to about 51 w/ popped reds. it’s a blast

thank you and shalom pals

Fuck man that shits been sold out everywhere. Does it magic carpet much with the 55s?