Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 537784 times)

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3240 on: April 11, 2021, 02:18:20 PM »
I have a set of the new 215s. They are stage 11 geometry. As for the old 215s if you want more turn run 2 top bushings(super soft Indys will give you the most turn) and couple that with 1/8” risers, you’re good to go. Stage 11 215s are taller so they have bushings that are basically the same size as bottom bushings(top and bottom are that size now) so running a regular set will give a ton of room to get all the turn you want.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3241 on: April 11, 2021, 02:36:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

215s haven't changed for years so your 215s are the same as the ones you'd buy right now.
[close]

Is this still true?  I was having a discussion with my local shop owner last week and he said that when Indy was moving production to China they broke the 215 mold and had to remake it.  He said the Chindy 215s are slightly different than the US made ones.
[close]
I hadn't heard anything official but who knows maybe that's the real reason all those riders left Indy? I sorta don't see why that would be the case though. Even if the mold did break, there are existing 215s that they could recreate the mold from. Also wouldn't NHS have at least put out a press release or something about the "upgrades"?

EDIT: Based on pics it does look like the shape of the hangar was changed. The V from the pivot to the end of the hangar no longer appears to be gradual and ends in the middle of the hangar. The hangar also looks like it is no longer a rounded shape where the axle begins and is instead replaced by a hard straight line like an Ace. No idea if other changes were made or if any of this effects geometry. Anybody have new 215s in hand to confirm?
i think it was along the lines of indy offering a lump sum or one time payment to use pros names on trucks whenever they wanted to. the money must not have been anywhere good enough since a lot of pros jumped ship after that.

forgot what pal said it but thats my best summary
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3242 on: April 11, 2021, 02:52:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

215s haven't changed for years so your 215s are the same as the ones you'd buy right now.
[close]

Is this still true?  I was having a discussion with my local shop owner last week and he said that when Indy was moving production to China they broke the 215 mold and had to remake it.  He said the Chindy 215s are slightly different than the US made ones.
[close]
I hadn't heard anything official but who knows maybe that's the real reason all those riders left Indy? I sorta don't see why that would be the case though. Even if the mold did break, there are existing 215s that they could recreate the mold from. Also wouldn't NHS have at least put out a press release or something about the "upgrades"?

EDIT: Based on pics it does look like the shape of the hangar was changed. The V from the pivot to the end of the hangar no longer appears to be gradual and ends in the middle of the hangar. The hangar also looks like it is no longer a rounded shape where the axle begins and is instead replaced by a hard straight line like an Ace. No idea if other changes were made or if any of this effects geometry. Anybody have new 215s in hand to confirm?
[close]
i think it was along the lines of indy offering a lump sum or one time payment to use pros names on trucks whenever they wanted to. the money must not have been anywhere good enough since a lot of pros jumped ship after that.

forgot what pal said it but thats my best summary
Yeah that's the real reason I was only playing.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #3243 on: April 11, 2021, 03:51:35 PM »
I have a heroin dead dave 10" with some stage 10 215 gonz indys and im not getting a good turn with the stage 10s. Anybody have a recommendation on what truck turns better an ace 66  (maybe wait for the new 77) or stage 11 215s?

What size risers are you using?  You need a bit more height than usual to dig into the turns I find. They feel really shallow without risers or with 1:8th

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3244 on: April 11, 2021, 07:05:40 PM »
Expand Quote
I have a heroin dead dave 10" with some stage 10 215 gonz indys and im not getting a good turn with the stage 10s. Anybody have a recommendation on what truck turns better an ace 66  (maybe wait for the new 77) or stage 11 215s?

[close]

What size risers are you using?  You need a bit more height than usual to dig into the turns I find. They feel really shallow without risers or with 1:8th

Yeah I have 1/8" risers on. I'll put on some 1/4" with some softer bushings hopefully that will work

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3245 on: April 11, 2021, 07:36:45 PM »
ughhh you guys are making me wanna order a Dead Dave.
ok thanks

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3246 on: April 12, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »
Was waiting for new Aces, but these Thunders have been collecting dust for too long.

Zmorgf (brand I'm building up) Land Boat Blue Dip 10.25" x 31.56" with 14 - 14.5" adjustable wb

Thunder 161 Hollow Lights with Thunder 148 stock bushings

NFG MFG 54.5mm 103a(52d) Vee Shape

Bones Swiss

Bones 1" hardware

Bones 1/8" risers

Bones Rib Bones with 1 missing screw

Black Jessup with yellow Shake Junt

Posca Paint Pens

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #3247 on: April 12, 2021, 05:04:21 PM »
Was waiting for new Aces, but these Thunders have been collecting dust for too long.

Zmorgf (brand I'm building up) Land Boat Blue Dip 10.25" x 31.56" with 14 - 14.5" adjustable wb

Bones Swiss

Bones 1" hardware

Bones 1/8" risers

Posca Paint Pens

Such a nice looking shape!
How wide is it over the back truck?
Very intriguing

PMA

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3248 on: April 12, 2021, 07:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Bones Swiss

Bones 1" hardware

Bones 1/8" risers

Posca Paint Pens
[close]

Such a nice looking shape!
How wide is it over the back truck?
Very intriguing

Thanks!

I can't find my tape measure (I seemed to have misplaced a ton of my tools), but it was around 8.5" IIRC

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #3249 on: April 12, 2021, 08:24:26 PM »

Bones Swiss

Bones 1" hardware

Bones 1/8" risers

Posca Paint Pens

Looks super decent. What’s with the 148 bushings in the 161’s? It’s the second time on slap in a few days I’ve read someone running thunders with bushings from a smaller truck.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3250 on: April 12, 2021, 08:31:58 PM »
Expand Quote

Bones Swiss

Bones 1" hardware

Bones 1/8" risers

Posca Paint Pens
[close]

Looks super decent. What’s with the 148 bushings in the 161’s? It’s the second time on slap in a few days I’ve read someone running thunders with bushings from a smaller truck.

Thanks!

I put in the bushings because they're already broken in and breaking in Thunder bushings is like breaking in Ace bushings (aka a terrible process). The geometry is the same, just different color.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #3251 on: April 14, 2021, 09:58:32 PM »

Black Label Lucero Street Thing - 9.88
OJ rails
Indy 159's
Spitfire 54 classics(maybe 56, forget at this point)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 08:18:06 AM by Huell Howser »

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

animalflesh

« Reply #3254 on: April 15, 2021, 08:17:45 AM »
Very rad

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #3255 on: April 15, 2021, 08:20:25 AM »
thank you freelance, fhk and thom!

I have an 8.5 krooked I am riding as a regular setup and then pulled the trigger on this deck yesterday because I had the trucks/wheels already lying around. Super stoked on it! I haven't had a black label board in probably 10 years so I am happy I picked another one up

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3256 on: April 15, 2021, 04:43:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Holyfuck.
That thing is so badass. I ride a Label Lucero model, but that is tempting as fuck!
Never be bought, never be sold!

Fhk

« Reply #3257 on: April 15, 2021, 04:52:02 PM »

Got this New Deal Templeton Reissue - Resin 7
10.125 x 31.9
Wheelbase 14.5
Indy 169s with a cracked pivot cup
Spitfire 56mm 97a Classics
Welcome / Professor Schmitt 'Candy Bar' Rails

Been after the Candy Bars for years, stoked to get a few sets.    Couldnt decide what colour to put on, so went classic.  Man, these things slide...  It's like they're full of wax.  Amazing. They're basically Schmitt Stix Type II Rails, which were my favorite back in the day.

The board feels amazing, super crisp and the shape rules.  Really similar to my Tired board I retired.  I always wanted a New Deal back in the day, but they were too hard to get in suburban Australia.

1- this is a phenomenal grip job

2- did Polar put out a 9" pop w/o wheel wells in this drop?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3258 on: April 15, 2021, 04:59:37 PM »
@Fhk hu no only 9” pop this drop was the Dane

Fhk

« Reply #3259 on: April 15, 2021, 05:24:20 PM »
@Fhk hu no only 9” pop this drop was the Dane
Thanks man, I just found a 9" Alv from an older drop on Parade.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3260 on: April 16, 2021, 07:42:49 AM »
Really hope I like this shape.

@bigdave do you happen to know the WB and length (tape straight, not pushed in) for this? Can't find it anywhere online that I trust.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3261 on: April 16, 2021, 07:48:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@bigdave do you happen to know the WB and length (tape straight, not pushed in) for this? Can't find it anywhere online that I trust.

@Freelancevagrant  Yo yo. 14.75 WB! I actually thought it was 14.5 when I ordered it, but its great (and, you know, ACE)
length, straight-tape, 32 5/8"
ok thanks

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3262 on: April 16, 2021, 07:50:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

@Freelancevagrant  Yo yo. 14.75 WB! I actually thought it was 14.5 when I ordered it, but its great (and, you know, ACE)

Thanks, going to get one! I owe you a gnar.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3263 on: April 16, 2021, 07:55:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks, going to get one! I owe you a gnar.

Oh sorry dude I got the name wrong! and thanks! Whats a gnar?
ok thanks

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3264 on: April 17, 2021, 03:30:41 PM »
Went on a little shopping spree this weekend and this 9.75" Scram is one of the things I picked up:

Looks pretty wild.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3265 on: April 18, 2021, 03:53:10 AM »
Went on a little shopping spree this weekend and this 9.75" Scram is one of the things I picked up:

Looks pretty wild.

Yeah!!

Any idea who makes them now?  I had a few suggestions, but nothing consistent.   They were BBS at one point, but the most recent one I saw here in AU last year was very chunky and not finished on the sides at all, so not BBS.

Thanks!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

animalflesh

« Reply #3266 on: April 18, 2021, 07:05:56 AM »
They go back and forth to generator from what I remember

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3267 on: April 18, 2021, 08:27:43 AM »
@Mbrimson88 @Thom no idea, just has the little divet on the top over the front trucks but nothing else. Stained top ply, everything else is natural.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #3268 on: April 18, 2021, 08:52:28 AM »
@Mbrimson88 @Thom no idea, just has the little divet on the top over the front trucks but nothing else. Stained top ply, everything else is natural.

No worries.

It might be harder to figure out if you don't get to stand on way too many boards like I do, which I use to compare wood more often than not with no other markings on the decks to identify where they came from.

BBS / Generator wood usually has more spoon shaped kicks in their molds, so even up into the kicks there is a bit of concave running across the board with no straight edge where the kick meets the deck, if that makes sense.

I keep thinking I saw some from Watson / Prime or a similar woodshop too, but any which way, it looks like a whole lot of fun!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3269 on: April 20, 2021, 11:14:34 PM »
Looking for an excuse to get some AF1's. Anyone have the over-the-truck measurements for the Dead Dave Giallo deck? I'm  guessing it's a 66 type of situation.