Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 236642 times)

Ol Nick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3210 on: April 04, 2021, 07:06:32 AM »

Prime S5 Handout shape w/ graphics from Lurks Houston
9.12 x 31.75ish x 14.25 WB
Ace 55
Super Juice 60mm w/ graphics out so it doesnít hot rod as much.
Big Balls
1/4Ē risers

Set this back up for runs to the store at night. Anyone know if someone makes this S5 / GS5 type shape but maybe a touch longer with a 14.5Ē WB? I really like it a lot, just gets a little squirrelly at high speed.

Freelancevagrant

• Rep: 160
« Reply #3211 on: April 04, 2021, 01:10:55 PM »
Cross posted from the set up thread.

Currently rocking two set ups.

1. Polar Dane1 with mob
Ace 55s
54mm 99a spitfire f4 lock ins with bones big balls

2. Jake Reuter Black Label Egg with mob
Ace 55s
52mm 99a spitfire f4 tablets with bones big balls
Lil Jawn Rails

Ask a medical expert about pre-teens and their bones, unless you are scared to.

fs1/2cab

• Rep: 52
    • a short part
« Reply #3212 on: April 04, 2021, 01:15:33 PM »
Went with OJís per the advice... ready for my Cruisiní Part!

I had these OJs too. They scared the shit out of me when I went downhill with them. Because I couldn't powerslide with them 🤣

sammyz

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3213 on: April 04, 2021, 06:00:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Went with OJís per the advice... ready for my Cruisiní Part!

[close]

I had these OJs too. They scared the shit out of me when I went downhill with them. Because I couldn't powerslide with them 🤣

I just went out for a cruise...there is no chance im sliding with these...but fuck me, they roll over everything...never felt like i was gonna get pitched off cracks, rocks or anything

shpongle

• Rep: -50
« Reply #3214 on: April 04, 2021, 06:09:24 PM »

Ace 55
Big Balls
1/4Ē risers

Set this back up for runs to the store at night. Anyone know if someone makes this S5 / GS5 type shape but maybe a touch longer with a 14.5Ē WB? I really like it a lot, just gets a little squirrelly at high speed.

can i give it a try  :D looks sooOO fun!!!! you must be stoked riding that cruiser

FrozenIndustries

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #3215 on: April 05, 2021, 06:53:07 AM »
Cross posted from the set up thread.

Expand Quote
Currently rocking two set ups.

1. Polar Dane1 with mob
Ace 55s
54mm 99a spitfire f4 lock ins with bones big balls

2. Jake Reuter Black Label Egg with mob
Ace 55s
52mm 99a spitfire f4 tablets with bones big balls
Lil Jawn Rails

[close]

Both look great, Black Label has been tempting me but I have too many boards in my stack right now.
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

Vitriol

• Rep: 27
« Reply #3216 on: April 05, 2021, 06:34:53 PM »
Expand Quote

Ace 55
Big Balls
1/4Ē risers

[close]

can i give it a try  :D looks sooOO fun!!!! you must be stoked riding that cruiser
I Love that graphic!
Shoes are what?

shpongle

• Rep: -50
« Reply #3217 on: April 05, 2021, 07:40:36 PM »
scram bog 10 x 30.5 14.5 wb
ace 66
bones swiss
santa cruz 60mm 95a vomits slime balls
1/4 riser i painted plurple

sammyz

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3218 on: April 05, 2021, 11:40:15 PM »
That shape reminds me of the old vision boards...maybe its the Gator decks

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM
« Reply #3219 on: April 07, 2021, 06:44:49 PM »

Got this New Deal Templeton Reissue - Resin 7
10.125 x 31.9
Wheelbase 14.5
Indy 169s with a cracked pivot cup
Spitfire 56mm 97a Classics
Welcome / Professor Schmitt 'Candy Bar' Rails

Been after the Candy Bars for years, stoked to get a few sets.    Couldnt decide what colour to put on, so went classic.  Man, these things slide...  It's like they're full of wax.  Amazing. They're basically Schmitt Stix Type II Rails, which were my favorite back in the day.

The board feels amazing, super crisp and the shape rules.  Really similar to my Tired board I retired.  I always wanted a New Deal back in the day, but they were too hard to get in suburban Australia.

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -942
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3220 on: April 07, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
Nice Templeton and smooth griptape job!!! Bet itís a blast to ride

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #endlesstoecapsforthepuffyfooter

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM
« Reply #3221 on: April 07, 2021, 07:47:21 PM »
Nice Templeton and smooth griptape job!!! Bet itís a blast to ride

Yeah itís great! Real lively. Better learn impossible tail grabs now

jtrpma

• Rep: 39
  • PMA
« Reply #3222 on: April 07, 2021, 07:51:23 PM »
Any reason the rails are hollow?
Looks like a fun ride
PMA

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM
« Reply #3223 on: April 07, 2021, 08:13:53 PM »
Looks like a fun ride

It's weird, they look hollow in that pic, but it's actually got a vertical tab of the adhesive sticker material running through it, I guess to stop any slippage of the adhesive once it's on.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
  • Hellride v. Wellread
« Reply #3224 on: April 07, 2021, 09:11:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Looks like a fun ride
[close]

It's weird, they look hollow in that pic, but it's actually got a vertical tab of the adhesive sticker material running through it, I guess to stop any slippage of the adhesive once it's on.
Did you have those candy bars on ice or did you find them recently. Reason I ask is that they seemed to be gone there for a few years (curiously while other brands ate the lunch they made for themselves) but I saw them back in stock at SoCal. Only two colors but hopefully they started making them again. When they first came out, I thought they were pretty expensive especially if you wanted to run two but compared to other stuff out there $15USD doesn't seem too bad anymore.
Also if i thought a mob of yewwing sweaty californians were about to wrap me up in a pabst-scented covid group hug I'd start pushing the fuck out of there too

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM
« Reply #3225 on: April 07, 2021, 09:26:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like a fun ride
[close]

[close]
Did you have those candy bars on ice or did you find them recently. Reason I ask is that they seemed to be gone there for a few years (curiously while other brands ate the lunch they made for themselves) but I saw them back in stock at SoCal. Only two colors but hopefully they started making them again. When they first came out, I thought they were pretty expensive especially if you wanted to run two but compared to other stuff out there $15USD doesn't seem too bad anymore.

Yeah, got a heads up from a friend, and got them directly from the Welcome site.  White, Pink & Green, 2 of each.  It seems interest really picked up after Paul Schmitts Nine Club appearance, which probably gave them a nudge to do more.  Kinda dumb they don't sell them in packs of 2, but whatever.  I was after the New Deal rails too as they're remakes of the Schmitt Stix Type Is, but the Type IIs were my fav anyway.  Cost me a bit to get them shipped, so stocked up on them.  Worth the wait, they're super smooth.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
  • Hellride v. Wellread
« Reply #3226 on: April 07, 2021, 09:34:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like a fun ride
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah, got a heads up from a friend, and got them directly from the Welcome site.  White, Pink & Green, 2 of each.  It seems interest really picked up after Paul Schmitts Nine Club appearance, which probably gave them a nudge to do more.  Kinda dumb they don't sell them in packs of 2, but whatever.  I was after the New Deal rails too as they're remakes of the Schmitt Stix Type Is, but the Type IIs were my fav anyway.  Cost me a bit to get them shipped, so stocked up on them.  Worth the wait, they're super smooth.
I bought two sets years ago but also used them years ago too. Afterwards, I even bought my own mounting tape to put on the back of rails because I like how it kills the rattle. I figured they were just gone and I was about to buy a set of Pigs. Thanks for the info about the different Schmitt Stix rails too. I for sure looked at that ad when it was currentish but forgot all about it since.
Also if i thought a mob of yewwing sweaty californians were about to wrap me up in a pabst-scented covid group hug I'd start pushing the fuck out of there too

Prostate Exam

• Rep: 33
« Reply #3227 on: April 07, 2021, 11:42:04 PM »

Got this New Deal Templeton Reissue - Resin 7
10.125 x 31.9
Wheelbase 14.5
Indy 169s with a cracked pivot cup
Spitfire 56mm 97a Classics
Welcome / Professor Schmitt 'Candy Bar' Rails

Been after the Candy Bars for years, stoked to get a few sets.    Couldnt decide what colour to put on, so went classic.  Man, these things slide...  It's like they're full of wax.  Amazing. They're basically Schmitt Stix Type II Rails, which were my favorite back in the day.

The board feels amazing, super crisp and the shape rules.  Really similar to my Tired board I retired.  I always wanted a New Deal back in the day, but they were too hard to get in suburban Australia.

Candybars are the absolute best rails ever! The slide very good, the stick to board, and the screws that come with them are very durable. I've had my candy bar on at least 10 boards before I switched it out
feels like shitting backwards

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3228 on: April 08, 2021, 06:24:28 AM »
Fascinated by those Candy Bars and rails in general.

I love how they look, but I don't board/lip slide enough to justify them. Mainly because those are the tricks I get bodied on the most. Maybe rails would help?
I know we aren't madness shaming in the gear section, come on were better than this.

FatGuy92

• Rep: 13
« Reply #3229 on: April 08, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »

I love how they look, but I don't board/lip slide enough to justify them. Mainly because those are the tricks I get bodied on the most. Maybe rails would help?

Maybe others here can provide more info, but for whatever reason, some rails work better for me than others. Iíve tried OJ and Santa Cruz rails and they stick even on waxed curbs. Randomly, a set of shake junt rails I got on sale awhile back have been great though. If youíre not comfortable on board or lip slides I would find a double sided curb or something and wax the shit out of it and practice without rails first. Iíve eaten so much shit slipping out. Rails do provide a more consistent slide though so I would recommend them overall.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #3230 on: April 08, 2021, 09:40:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like a fun ride
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I bought two sets years ago but also used them years ago too. Afterwards, I even bought my own mounting tape to put on the back of rails because I like how it kills the rattle. I figured they were just gone and I was about to buy a set of Pigs. Thanks for the info about the different Schmitt Stix rails too. I for sure looked at that ad when it was currentish but forgot all about it since.

Pig rails suck. They're too low and the hardware isn't great. If you get Pig rails, you might as well not use them since they're too low to do anything.

Powell Rib Bones are my go to but those Schmitt Stix rails look really interesting.

sketchyrider

• Rep: 43
« Reply #3231 on: April 08, 2021, 09:43:08 AM »
but Grosso said Pig rails were the best!

beandemon

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3232 on: April 08, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »
Candy bars = 50% snake oil. Last Santa Cruz rails I touched were icey death. Pigs need to be moved in to  make up the height, but they feel squirrelly to me then. I like rib bones, but miss the old flattened oval shape. And rat/sex nuts. Iím gonna go outside and yell at the clouds now.

culdesac

• Rep: 2
« Reply #3233 on: April 08, 2021, 09:58:11 AM »
Been riding Santa Cruz rails for awhile and they feel fine. All the older curb dudes seem to swear by the skate jawns. Got a couple sets, but havenít been able to try them out yet. Plastic looks similar to the welcome candy bars (ie cutting board style)

FrozenIndustries

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3234 on: April 08, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe others here can provide more info, but for whatever reason, some rails work better for me than others. Iíve tried OJ and Santa Cruz rails and they stick even on waxed curbs. Randomly, a set of shake junt rails I got on sale awhile back have been great though. If youíre not comfortable on board or lip slides I would find a double sided curb or something and wax the shit out of it and practice without rails first. Iíve eaten so much shit slipping out. Rails do provide a more consistent slide though so I would recommend them overall.

This is super helpful. I should clarify that when I get wrecked on those tricks it is usually from sticking. Might try some and report back.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM
« Reply #3235 on: April 08, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
Jawns and Candy Bars are the same material I think, which is the main thing. A really consistent, slippery plastic, like a cutting board. So once youíre on, itís a smoother slide. Iíve used bones for the last bunch of years but theyíre a harder plastic and slide really janky for me, plus they get sharp edges and itís a bummer theyíre a square shape these days. Iíve still got a set from the 80s and they feel more like the Candy Bar material. Sometimes they stick like glue, you just never know. Pigs were terrible For all the reasons above.

The Candy Bar shape is nice too, but I grew up loving them so itís just preference. Round on the outside and lipped inside, so your hand goes over them nicely and they donít get sharp. Plus I get a little nostalgic vibe as theyre Schmitt IIs which were THE rails.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 11:29:11 AM by radcunt »

Ol Nick

• Rep: 14
« Reply #3236 on: April 08, 2021, 12:06:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Ace 55
Big Balls
1/4Ē risers

[close]

[close]
I Love that graphic!
Shoes are what?
Thanks! Those are some yellow ťS Accel Slim I got for $25 thanks to the sale gear thread. Had wanted to try some for a while and the price was too good but it seems that all the OG Accels Iíd seen people wearing were actually slims so these were a little bulkier than I was expecting. Good grip though and they feel slimmer than they look after break in. First heel attempt left a sick-looking bright yellow streak of suede across the grip.

To whoever asked if they could ride it a few posts back. Iím down. My kid and I were skating in a parking lot a few months back and a dude working on the power lines asked if he could check it out. Blasted a shockingly high Ollie in place wearing steel toes and his tool belt. It looked like it surprised the shit out of him too.

Prostate Exam

• Rep: 33
« Reply #3237 on: April 09, 2021, 01:15:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like a fun ride
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Pig rails suck. They're too low and the hardware isn't great. If you get Pig rails, you might as well not use them since they're too low to do anything.

Powell Rib Bones are my go to but those Schmitt Stix rails look really interesting.

Never really liked Rib Bones. They're widely available but the hardware you get with them are to pointy and to slim. They always came loose on my boards. Also the material of the rails is pretty cheap

My favourite two are for sure the Candy Bars and the Vision rails I found on Socal Skateshop's website years ago
feels like shitting backwards

Easy Slider

• Rep: 62
« Reply #3238 on: April 09, 2021, 01:24:46 AM »
You dudes should make a separate rails thread. Would be easier to find for future reference.

I never had rails. When I started skating in 91 they were frowned upon as uncool. Soon enough everslicks came on and rails were definitely out.

I never felt the need for rails but I am planning on hitting several boardslide spots in the city in the next weeks so maybe I'll change my opinion, depending on how good they slide.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 761
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3239 on: April 09, 2021, 07:33:40 AM »

old AWS 9" (i think) (bought it after Boserio's Life Splicing part)
Indy 169
SF F4 54mm conical full 99a
old swiss

Polar 1991
Indy 169 gonz trucks
SF F4 56mm conical full 97a
old mix of bearings

Polar Dane1
Indy 159
SF F4 56mm radial 99a
random bearings
hardly art, hardly starving