Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533649 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #3210 on: April 07, 2021, 08:13:53 PM »
Any reason the rails are hollow?
Looks like a fun ride

It's weird, they look hollow in that pic, but it's actually got a vertical tab of the adhesive sticker material running through it, I guess to stop any slippage of the adhesive once it's on.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3211 on: April 07, 2021, 09:11:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Looks like a fun ride
[close]

It's weird, they look hollow in that pic, but it's actually got a vertical tab of the adhesive sticker material running through it, I guess to stop any slippage of the adhesive once it's on.
Did you have those candy bars on ice or did you find them recently. Reason I ask is that they seemed to be gone there for a few years (curiously while other brands ate the lunch they made for themselves) but I saw them back in stock at SoCal. Only two colors but hopefully they started making them again. When they first came out, I thought they were pretty expensive especially if you wanted to run two but compared to other stuff out there $15USD doesn't seem too bad anymore.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3212 on: April 07, 2021, 09:26:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like a fun ride
[close]

[close]
Did you have those candy bars on ice or did you find them recently. Reason I ask is that they seemed to be gone there for a few years (curiously while other brands ate the lunch they made for themselves) but I saw them back in stock at SoCal. Only two colors but hopefully they started making them again. When they first came out, I thought they were pretty expensive especially if you wanted to run two but compared to other stuff out there $15USD doesn't seem too bad anymore.

Yeah, got a heads up from a friend, and got them directly from the Welcome site.  White, Pink & Green, 2 of each.  It seems interest really picked up after Paul Schmitts Nine Club appearance, which probably gave them a nudge to do more.  Kinda dumb they don't sell them in packs of 2, but whatever.  I was after the New Deal rails too as they're remakes of the Schmitt Stix Type Is, but the Type IIs were my fav anyway.  Cost me a bit to get them shipped, so stocked up on them.  Worth the wait, they're super smooth.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3213 on: April 07, 2021, 09:34:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like a fun ride
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah, got a heads up from a friend, and got them directly from the Welcome site.  White, Pink & Green, 2 of each.  It seems interest really picked up after Paul Schmitts Nine Club appearance, which probably gave them a nudge to do more.  Kinda dumb they don't sell them in packs of 2, but whatever.  I was after the New Deal rails too as they're remakes of the Schmitt Stix Type Is, but the Type IIs were my fav anyway.  Cost me a bit to get them shipped, so stocked up on them.  Worth the wait, they're super smooth.
I bought two sets years ago but also used them years ago too. Afterwards, I even bought my own mounting tape to put on the back of rails because I like how it kills the rattle. I figured they were just gone and I was about to buy a set of Pigs. Thanks for the info about the different Schmitt Stix rails too. I for sure looked at that ad when it was currentish but forgot all about it since.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3214 on: April 07, 2021, 11:42:04 PM »

Got this New Deal Templeton Reissue - Resin 7
10.125 x 31.9
Wheelbase 14.5
Indy 169s with a cracked pivot cup
Spitfire 56mm 97a Classics
Welcome / Professor Schmitt 'Candy Bar' Rails

Been after the Candy Bars for years, stoked to get a few sets.    Couldnt decide what colour to put on, so went classic.  Man, these things slide...  It's like they're full of wax.  Amazing. They're basically Schmitt Stix Type II Rails, which were my favorite back in the day.

The board feels amazing, super crisp and the shape rules.  Really similar to my Tired board I retired.  I always wanted a New Deal back in the day, but they were too hard to get in suburban Australia.

Candybars are the absolute best rails ever! The slide very good, the stick to board, and the screws that come with them are very durable. I've had my candy bar on at least 10 boards before I switched it out

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3215 on: April 08, 2021, 06:24:28 AM »
Fascinated by those Candy Bars and rails in general.

I love how they look, but I don't board/lip slide enough to justify them. Mainly because those are the tricks I get bodied on the most. Maybe rails would help?

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #3216 on: April 08, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »

I love how they look, but I don't board/lip slide enough to justify them. Mainly because those are the tricks I get bodied on the most. Maybe rails would help?

Maybe others here can provide more info, but for whatever reason, some rails work better for me than others. I’ve tried OJ and Santa Cruz rails and they stick even on waxed curbs. Randomly, a set of shake junt rails I got on sale awhile back have been great though. If you’re not comfortable on board or lip slides I would find a double sided curb or something and wax the shit out of it and practice without rails first. I’ve eaten so much shit slipping out. Rails do provide a more consistent slide though so I would recommend them overall.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3217 on: April 08, 2021, 09:40:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like a fun ride
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I bought two sets years ago but also used them years ago too. Afterwards, I even bought my own mounting tape to put on the back of rails because I like how it kills the rattle. I figured they were just gone and I was about to buy a set of Pigs. Thanks for the info about the different Schmitt Stix rails too. I for sure looked at that ad when it was currentish but forgot all about it since.

Pig rails suck. They're too low and the hardware isn't great. If you get Pig rails, you might as well not use them since they're too low to do anything.

Powell Rib Bones are my go to but those Schmitt Stix rails look really interesting.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3218 on: April 08, 2021, 09:43:08 AM »
but Grosso said Pig rails were the best!

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3219 on: April 08, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »
Candy bars = 50% snake oil. Last Santa Cruz rails I touched were icey death. Pigs need to be moved in to  make up the height, but they feel squirrelly to me then. I like rib bones, but miss the old flattened oval shape. And rat/sex nuts. I’m gonna go outside and yell at the clouds now.

culdesac

• Rep: -9
« Reply #3220 on: April 08, 2021, 09:58:11 AM »
Been riding Santa Cruz rails for awhile and they feel fine. All the older curb dudes seem to swear by the skate jawns. Got a couple sets, but haven’t been able to try them out yet. Plastic looks similar to the welcome candy bars (ie cutting board style)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3221 on: April 08, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe others here can provide more info, but for whatever reason, some rails work better for me than others. I’ve tried OJ and Santa Cruz rails and they stick even on waxed curbs. Randomly, a set of shake junt rails I got on sale awhile back have been great though. If you’re not comfortable on board or lip slides I would find a double sided curb or something and wax the shit out of it and practice without rails first. I’ve eaten so much shit slipping out. Rails do provide a more consistent slide though so I would recommend them overall.

This is super helpful. I should clarify that when I get wrecked on those tricks it is usually from sticking. Might try some and report back.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3222 on: April 08, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
Jawns and Candy Bars are the same material I think, which is the main thing. A really consistent, slippery plastic, like a cutting board. So once you’re on, it’s a smoother slide. I’ve used bones for the last bunch of years but they’re a harder plastic and slide really janky for me, plus they get sharp edges and it’s a bummer they’re a square shape these days. I’ve still got a set from the 80s and they feel more like the Candy Bar material. Sometimes they stick like glue, you just never know. Pigs were terrible For all the reasons above.

The Candy Bar shape is nice too, but I grew up loving them so it’s just preference. Round on the outside and lipped inside, so your hand goes over them nicely and they don’t get sharp. Plus I get a little nostalgic vibe as theyre Schmitt IIs which were THE rails.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 11:29:11 AM by radcunt »

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #3223 on: April 08, 2021, 12:06:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Prime S5 Handout shape w/ graphics from Lurks Houston
9.12 x 31.75ish x 14.25 WB
Ace 55
Super Juice 60mm w/ graphics out so it doesn’t hot rod as much.
Big Balls
1/4” risers

Set this back up for runs to the store at night. Anyone know if someone makes this S5 / GS5 type shape but maybe a touch longer with a 14.5” WB? I really like it a lot, just gets a little squirrelly at high speed.
[close]

can i give it a try  :D looks sooOO fun!!!! you must be stoked riding that cruiser
[close]
I Love that graphic!
Shoes are what?
Thanks! Those are some yellow éS Accel Slim I got for $25 thanks to the sale gear thread. Had wanted to try some for a while and the price was too good but it seems that all the OG Accels I’d seen people wearing were actually slims so these were a little bulkier than I was expecting. Good grip though and they feel slimmer than they look after break in. First heel attempt left a sick-looking bright yellow streak of suede across the grip.

To whoever asked if they could ride it a few posts back. I’m down. My kid and I were skating in a parking lot a few months back and a dude working on the power lines asked if he could check it out. Blasted a shockingly high Ollie in place wearing steel toes and his tool belt. It looked like it surprised the shit out of him too.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3224 on: April 09, 2021, 01:15:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Looks like a fun ride
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Pig rails suck. They're too low and the hardware isn't great. If you get Pig rails, you might as well not use them since they're too low to do anything.

Powell Rib Bones are my go to but those Schmitt Stix rails look really interesting.

Never really liked Rib Bones. They're widely available but the hardware you get with them are to pointy and to slim. They always came loose on my boards. Also the material of the rails is pretty cheap

My favourite two are for sure the Candy Bars and the Vision rails I found on Socal Skateshop's website years ago

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #3225 on: April 09, 2021, 01:24:46 AM »
You dudes should make a separate rails thread. Would be easier to find for future reference.

I never had rails. When I started skating in 91 they were frowned upon as uncool. Soon enough everslicks came on and rails were definitely out.

I never felt the need for rails but I am planning on hitting several boardslide spots in the city in the next weeks so maybe I'll change my opinion, depending on how good they slide.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3226 on: April 09, 2021, 07:33:40 AM »

old AWS 9" (i think) (bought it after Boserio's Life Splicing part)
Indy 169
SF F4 54mm conical full 99a
old swiss

Polar 1991
Indy 169 gonz trucks
SF F4 56mm conical full 97a
old mix of bearings

Polar Dane1
Indy 159
SF F4 56mm radial 99a
random bearings
hardly art, hardly starving

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3227 on: April 09, 2021, 07:36:42 AM »

Indy 169
old swiss

Polar 1991
Indy 169 gonz trucks
old mix of bearings

Polar Dane1
Indy 159
SF F4 56mm radial 99a
random bearings

Wow @art hellman  great stuff. Beautiful.

The 1991 is how I was going to set mine up. But maybe Ace 55 over 169.. thoughts? Need to grab those 56mm 97a CF

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3228 on: April 09, 2021, 07:41:09 AM »
im not a fan of how ACE look, so, i'd say go for the Indy 169.  i obviously havent 'skated-skated' on the 1991 yet, so I'm not much use for you there. 

i will say, the F4 97a are incredible.  ive been skating the 54mm classic 97a on my regular set up and they are awesome for garbage midwest spots.  they are quieter than the 99a, which at first sorta bothered me, but then it also sorta helps out when skating spots at night where the noise could ruffle feathers of people living above spots.
hardly art, hardly starving

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3229 on: April 09, 2021, 09:06:42 AM »
im not a fan of how ACE look, so, i'd say go for the Indy 169.  i obviously havent 'skated-skated' on the 1991 yet, so I'm not much use for you there. 

i will say, the F4 97a are incredible.  ive been skating the 54mm classic 97a on my regular set up and they are awesome for garbage midwest spots.  they are quieter than the 99a, which at first sorta bothered me, but then it also sorta helps out when skating spots at night where the noise could ruffle feathers of people living above spots.
same, riding 54mm classics 97a at the moment. Love em and want to jump to 56mm with the CF.
Let me know what you think of the 1991 have you put some miles on it. You had these polars on ice for a bit?

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #3230 on: April 09, 2021, 10:12:57 AM »
Expand Quote

Indy 169
old swiss

Polar 1991
Indy 169 gonz trucks
old mix of bearings

Polar Dane1
Indy 159
SF F4 56mm radial 99a
random bearings

[close]
Wow @art hellman  great stuff. Beautiful.

The 1991 is how I was going to set mine up. But maybe Ace 55 over 169.. thoughts? Need to grab those 56mm 97a CF
Are those stage 10 169s? I have a pair and other than the lack of kingpin clearance they are so nice.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #3231 on: April 10, 2021, 02:21:12 AM »

Prime S5 Handout shape w/ graphics from Lurks Houston
9.12 x 31.75ish x 14.25 WB
Ace 55
Super Juice 60mm w/ graphics out so it doesn’t hot rod as much.
Big Balls
1/4” risers

Set this back up for runs to the store at night. Anyone know if someone makes this S5 / GS5 type shape but maybe a touch longer with a 14.5” WB? I really like it a lot, just gets a little squirrelly at high speed.

Love that shape and wish SoCal would re-up that shape. If you got that recently do tell where you got it from. Wouldn’t mind another of em’, awesome ride.

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #3232 on: April 11, 2021, 09:18:15 AM »
I have a heroin dead dave 10" with some stage 10 215 gonz indys and im not getting a good turn with the stage 10s. Anybody have a recommendation on what truck turns better an ace 66  (maybe wait for the new 77) or stage 11 215s?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3233 on: April 11, 2021, 09:28:02 AM »
I have a heroin dead dave 10" with some stage 10 215 gonz indys and im not getting a good turn with the stage 10s. Anybody have a recommendation on what truck turns better an ace 66  (maybe wait for the new 77) or stage 11 215s?
215s haven't changed for years so your 215s are the same as the ones you'd buy right now. If they're those blue and black Gonz trucks with the red bushings then those came out in the stage 11 era, just so ya know. The 66s that are out now are 9.35 but the 77s are gonna be 9.5 so still not as wide as 215s. Personally I find most of these wide trucks pretty surfy with stock bushings but if the 215s aren't turning for you maybe go softer than stock?

Skrotum

« Reply #3234 on: April 11, 2021, 09:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
215s haven't changed for years so your 215s are the same as the ones you'd buy right now. If they're those blue and black Gonz trucks with the red bushings then those came out in the stage 11 era, just so ya know. The 66s that are out now are 9.35 but the 77s are gonna be 9.5 so still not as wide as 215s. Personally I find most of these wide trucks pretty surfy with stock bushings but if the 215s aren't turning for you maybe go softer than stock?

Awesome thank you ill get some soft bushings. At least I know its not the geometry thats fucking my turn there is still hope.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3235 on: April 11, 2021, 10:10:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Awesome thank you ill get some soft bushings. At least I know its not the geometry thats fucking my turn there is still hope.
that board tapers a bit tho no? Dave himself rides em with 66’s I feel? The new ace 77 would be ideal

Skrotum

« Reply #3236 on: April 11, 2021, 10:53:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
that board tapers a bit tho no? Dave himself rides em with 66’s I feel? The new ace 77 would be ideal

Yeah dave does ride 66s and yes the board tapers to about 9.5" over the back truck 77s are gonna be perfect glad they are finally making them

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3237 on: April 11, 2021, 11:46:27 AM »

215s haven't changed for years so your 215s are the same as the ones you'd buy right now.

Is this still true?  I was having a discussion with my local shop owner last week and he said that when Indy was moving production to China they broke the 215 mold and had to remake it.  He said the Chindy 215s are slightly different than the US made ones.

Skrotum

« Reply #3238 on: April 11, 2021, 12:06:17 PM »
Expand Quote

215s haven't changed for years so your 215s are the same as the ones you'd buy right now.
[close]

Is this still true?  I was having a discussion with my local shop owner last week and he said that when Indy was moving production to China they broke the 215 mold and had to remake it.  He said the Chindy 215s are slightly different than the US made ones.

That's what I thought too. I know the new china 215s atleast look a little different.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3239 on: April 11, 2021, 01:39:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I hadn't heard anything official but who knows maybe that's the real reason all those riders left Indy? I sorta don't see why that would be the case though. Even if the mold did break, there are existing 215s that they could recreate the mold from. Also wouldn't NHS have at least put out a press release or something about the "upgrades"?

EDIT: Based on pics it does look like the shape of the hangar was changed. The V from the pivot to the end of the hangar no longer appears to be gradual and ends in the middle of the hangar. The hangar also looks like it is no longer a rounded shape where the axle begins and is instead replaced by a hard straight line like an Ace. No idea if other changes were made or if any of this effects geometry. Anybody have new 215s in hand to confirm?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:51:46 PM by jakeumms »