Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 312413 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -895
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4140 on: November 21, 2021, 10:38:34 PM »
Finally got it set up in time for a trip to a rad bowl tomorrow

Black Label Black Widow 9.25, wb 14.75

Ace Classic 66 s with 1/16 shims

Spitfire 56 mm 97a

Bones Swiss 6

Powell rails
dat meat is murder sticker tho!
(Itís over 20 years old!)

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #endlesstoecapsforthepuffyfooter

Prostate Exam

• Rep: 105
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4141 on: November 22, 2021, 05:11:57 AM »
nonconform skates 10 x 31.25 with a 14.25 wheelbase! Thing of beauty

disclosed

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4142 on: November 22, 2021, 08:15:35 AM »

sick! i was so tempted to buy one too. but i got too much backlog already and a couple upcoming boards i need to buy too.. but for that price it was so hard to pass.
how is the wood? i'll be getting a Meltdown deck soon thats made in the same woodshop.

Prostate Exam

« Reply #4143 on: November 22, 2021, 08:40:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

sick! i was so tempted to buy one too. but i got too much backlog already and a couple upcoming boards i need to buy too.. but for that price it was so hard to pass.
how is the wood? i'll be getting a Meltdown deck soon thats made in the same woodshop.

Good wood, perfect shape. I think the will reprint soon , so keep your eyes peeled

Landmine

• Rep: 55
« Reply #4144 on: November 22, 2021, 10:01:01 AM »

SIIIIIIIIICK!

listentoaheartbeat

• Rep: 114
« Reply #4145 on: November 22, 2021, 11:42:40 AM »
This year has been my first deep dive into setup madness in 30 years of skateboarding. I clearly went overboard, however I do enjoy all of these setups. All Indy 169 (Ti) and Spitfire F4 except for 159s and Autobahn wheels on the cruiser.

The Powell Rat Bones reissue used to be my filmer board. I kept it when I sold my VX a long time ago, itís a fun cruiser. 10" x 30" and completely flat.

I only skate the Krooked Gonzales Sweatpants in the bowl now, but it used to be my main setup. Really fun shape that translates well from and to popsicles.

The Heroin Symmetrical Egg is absolutely incredible. One session so far and loved it. Couldnít help myself and got a second set of Titaniums for the occasion.

My first Heroin 9.25" popsicle quickly became my go to setup, got a stack that should last me a year. Set it up with Titaniums and F4 99A Classics, best board ever.

Woodshop

• Rep: 38
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #4146 on: November 22, 2021, 03:32:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Good wood, perfect shape. I think the will reprint soon , so keep your eyes peeled

I feel like I know (or should know) but which woodshop makes these?

From their instagram:

ďThe Pale Horsemanď 10.0 shaped decks are now available! Produced in the Netherlands and screen printed in Germany. Every board is custom stained and one of a kind. Only 30 made. Check the link in bio for orders and more infos.
If your country isn't listed, contact us via DM or mail for individual shipping!

https://www.nonconform-skates.com/product/the-pale-horseman-10-0-shape

Shape and dimensions look really good too!

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #4147 on: November 22, 2021, 04:33:21 PM »
This year has been my first deep dive into setup madness in 30 years of skateboarding. I clearly went overboard, however I do enjoy all of these setups. All Indy 169 (Ti) and Spitfire F4 except for 159s and Autobahn wheels on the cruiser.

The Powell Rat Bones reissue used to be my filmer board. I kept it when I sold my VX a long time ago, itís a fun cruiser. 10" x 30" and completely flat.

I only skate the Krooked Gonzales Sweatpants in the bowl now, but it used to be my main setup. Really fun shape that translates well from and to popsicles.

The Heroin Symmetrical Egg is absolutely incredible. One session so far and loved it. Couldnít help myself and got a second set of Titaniums for the occasion.

My first Heroin 9.25" popsicle quickly became my go to setup, got a stack that should last me a year. Set it up with Titaniums and F4 99A Classics, best board ever.

Nice quiver.  Any axle bending on the Ti's?  My 169's are pretty cooked and I was considering some Ti replacements, but I'm worried about the axles.  I bent the axles on my standards, which is odd because I'm basically no impact.

listentoaheartbeat

« Reply #4148 on: November 22, 2021, 11:20:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nice quiver.  Any axle bending on the Ti's?  My 169's are pretty cooked and I was considering some Ti replacements, but I'm worried about the axles.  I bent the axles on my standards, which is odd because I'm basically no impact.

So far, so good. Iíve only been skating my first set of Titaniums since August. I donít seem to bend axles with my type of skating, even though I skate a lot and am quite heavy. Not jumping down anything higher than a three stair. Never bent any of my regular 169s either, as far as I can tell.

Not going back to regular 169s if I can afford it. The big but lightweight setup has really elevated my skating. I also like that they are a bit lower, feels more connected to the ground. Though thatís probably just in my head. On the OCD side of things, itís cool that 7/8" hardware properly locks without cranking down too much since the baseplates are thinner.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 12:07:00 AM by listentoaheartbeat »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4149 on: November 23, 2021, 03:02:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So far, so good. Iíve only been skating my first set of Titaniums since August. I donít seem to bend axles with my type of skating, even though I skate a lot and am quite heavy. Not jumping down anything higher than a three stair. Never bent any of my regular 169s either, as far as I can tell.

Not going back to regular 169s if I can afford it. The big but lightweight setup has really elevated my skating. I also like that they are a bit lower, feels more connected to the ground. Though thatís probably just in my head. On the OCD side of things, itís cool that 7/8" hardware properly locks without cranking down too much since the baseplates are thinner.

It's funny how some things just work so much better, eg the lighter trucks and thinner baseplate with 7/8" hardware.

The other curious thing is although I have seen all brands of trucks (including Indy in regular, hollow and titanium) with bent axles, the trucks of multiple brands with titanium axles were the only ones I could not get straight again, no matter how hard I tried.

Most regular and hollow axled trucks, I could sit the hanger on a jig I had made up and hammer them back to straight, but titaniums stayed bent and even cracked the hanger on the underside when it did move a bit on one truck that was heavily ground down.

Just something to note anyway, but on bigger boards, having lighter trucks really does make a significant difference.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

disclosed

« Reply #4150 on: November 23, 2021, 07:04:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

From their instagram:

ďThe Pale Horsemanď 10.0 shaped decks are now available! Produced in the Netherlands and screen printed in Germany. Every board is custom stained and one of a kind. Only 30 made. Check the link in bio for orders and more infos.
If your country isn't listed, contact us via DM or mail for individual shipping!

Karate Woodchop in Rotterdam did these. but not all Nonconform decks are from there.
its a new company that started last year. still small scale and all done by one man.

http://jeroenvansluis.nl/karatewoodchop/?page_id=515
https://www.instagram.com/karatewoodchop/

listentoaheartbeat

« Reply #4151 on: November 23, 2021, 11:11:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's funny how some things just work so much better, eg the lighter trucks and thinner baseplate with 7/8" hardware.

The other curious thing is although I have seen all brands of trucks (including Indy in regular, hollow and titanium) with bent axles, the trucks of multiple brands with titanium axles were the only ones I could not get straight again, no matter how hard I tried.

Most regular and hollow axled trucks, I could sit the hanger on a jig I had made up and hammer them back to straight, but titaniums stayed bent and even cracked the hanger on the underside when it did move a bit on one truck that was heavily ground down.

Just something to note anyway, but on bigger boards, having lighter trucks really does make a significant difference.

This got me curious and I read up a bit on steel vs. titanium. I feel this article has some of the answers:

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/metals-metal-products/steel-vs-titanium-strength-properties-and-uses/

Apparently the properties of titanium make it much harder to work with, which would explain why you couldnít straighten the axle once it got bent through repeated/constant force applied when skating.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -22
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #4152 on: November 23, 2021, 11:29:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

SIIIIIIIIICK!

damn that looks niiiiice man  8) what wheels you rockin on it? the 14.25 looks really turny too

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 19
« Reply #4153 on: November 23, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This got me curious and I read up a bit on steel vs. titanium. I feel this article has some of the answers:

https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/metals-metal-products/steel-vs-titanium-strength-properties-and-uses/

Apparently the properties of titanium make it much harder to work with, which would explain why you couldnít straighten the axle once it got bent through repeated/constant force applied when skating.

Thanks for the link.  Echos some "research" I did over the weekend by consulting a few articles and asking my cousin's husband, who's an engineer that works at a foundry.  He was amazed I was bending axles to begin with.

Woodshop

« Reply #4154 on: November 23, 2021, 05:17:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

From their instagram:

[close]

Karate Woodchop in Rotterdam did these. but not all Nonconform decks are from there.
its a new company that started last year. still small scale and all done by one man.

http://jeroenvansluis.nl/karatewoodchop/?page_id=515
https://www.instagram.com/karatewoodchop/

Thank you!

Always good to have more info, as well as another woodshop to add to the list.

Much appreciated.

texasplant

• Rep: 43
« Reply #4155 on: November 23, 2021, 06:39:42 PM »
Any of you guys skate 215s as their main truck? Iíve gone through all sorts of madness over the last few years, sizing all the way up then all the way back downÖ but finding myself skating pools and looking to eventually start messing with vert again I want to go back to my Scram 10Ē with 215s again. I just recently learned inverts and think Iím going to keep concentrating on them for a bit so the bigger setup shouldnít hurt.

Will be keeping a Loveseat with 159s around at all other times for everything else though.

Prostate Exam

« Reply #4156 on: November 23, 2021, 11:28:04 PM »
Any of you guys skate 215s as their main truck? Iíve gone through all sorts of madness over the last few years, sizing all the way up then all the way back downÖ but finding myself skating pools and looking to eventually start messing with vert again I want to go back to my Scram 10Ē with 215s again. I just recently learned inverts and think Iím going to keep concentrating on them for a bit so the bigger setup shouldnít hurt.

Will be keeping a Loveseat with 159s around at all other times for everything else though.

I have one board that has 215s on them and I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but It happens to me a lot on this board, that my foot touches the back truck when pushing cause the trucks are so wide. Ate shit at least two times cause of this and now I am avoiding this board.

I prefer wide trucks like the Ace classic 66s, but the 215s are just too much for me.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM
« Reply #4157 on: November 23, 2021, 11:54:39 PM »

Iíve got em on my Krooked Beamer and that thing is a fuckin weird board to ride. Fun for just how fucked it is. Slappies are fun as itís like driving a bus up a small set of stairs but holding a grind is tricky as thereís so much real estate on the trucks. Just set up a blockhead street style with 149s and slime balls. Oh boy that things fun!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4158 on: November 24, 2021, 05:57:40 AM »
Most of the guys I know who ride big shaped boards have more often gone with 169s compared to 215s, as they just fit so much better on everything and don't have the limiting issues as per 215s - mainly that their 215s really only work well on super duper wide boards, whereas the 169s still work on most, including a 10" board that was set up with 215s to start with that is pretty much the communal cruiser.

Personal opinion once again, but both normal and wider wheels on 169s give a better balance on everything, be it the ramps (mini or vert), the pool / bowls, and especially on street stuff, as almost all of the guys have said who have had 215s or tried the board with 215s on it.

I am sure someone could make the 215s work really well, but it is an interesting one that the preference almost every time is to go back down to 169s, or for those guys who skate Ace, the classic 66s seem to be the pick, way more than the 55s or any of the AF1 versions.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

disclosed

« Reply #4159 on: November 24, 2021, 10:40:14 AM »
i went from 215s back to 169s last month. instantly had cleaner rock n rolls, and consistent laback rock n rolls. feel like the 215's turn around their axis slower making those tricks slightly harder.
i also lock in cleaner on the 169s. so sticking with these.

also finding decks to fit the 215s was hard. most shaped decks taper to like 9" (or less) at the back truck. and some already taper a lot on the front truck also. hot rodding on the back is one thing. but on the front i can't do..

nekro

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4160 on: November 26, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »
I just pulled the trigger on a Tired Terrible 9" and looking for advice on which width trucks would be ideal.  I'm not sure of the measurements across the trucks holes.  Can anyone help?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
« Reply #4161 on: November 26, 2021, 01:08:43 PM »
I just pulled the trigger on a Tired Terrible 9" and looking for advice on which width trucks would be ideal.  I'm not sure of the measurements across the trucks holes.  Can anyone help?

Ace 55 classic or Indy 159

Woodshop

« Reply #4162 on: November 26, 2021, 02:53:15 PM »

Pretty sure they were 9 at the shoulder, 8.8 over the front bolts area and about 8.6 at the back (80s fish tail so you are always going to have some wheel overhang for the right size trucks) as well as only 14.0 wheelbase on the one I had, but this could be a different version.

As said, Indy 159s work well, but you can put Indy 169s or Ace Classic 55s on it and it would still be ok - had those options on one I had and all felt fine, but the 9" trucks did sit a bit wide for how some people would like them.

One from a while back:

First pic with 169s (which is how I bought it)
Second and third pics with 159s

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp8sov0FUNL/

Sonny Paluso

• Rep: 60
« Reply #4163 on: November 26, 2021, 08:38:22 PM »
Initially set this up with 53mm spitfire lock ins with 159 Indys, and hated it. Reset to bigger wheels. Feels so good. My 49 year old self is getting flashbacks to 14 year old me.

Black Label 10" Lucero (using 14.5wb)
Indy stage X 149 hanger on st.XI baseplates
60mm 97a Slimeballs (slide nice on asphalt)
Swiss
2 1/8" modus risers

biaherl

• Rep: 76
    • Why So Sad
« Reply #4164 on: November 26, 2021, 08:41:50 PM »
Initially set this up with 53mm spitfire lock ins with 159 Indys, and hated it. Reset to bigger wheels. Feels so good. My 49 year old self is getting flashbacks to 14 year old me.

Black Label 10" Lucero (using 14.5wb)
Indy stage X 149 hanger on st.XI baseplates
60mm 97a Slimeballs (slide nice on asphalt)
Swiss
2 1/8" modus risers

image hosting

My brother got me this board for my birthday so I had to set it up. Maybe the most perfect tail in history

Pinkgravy

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4165 on: November 27, 2021, 02:35:26 AM »
Yeah, I have a problem.still haven't found a board for those Indy 215 hangers,and after getting the krooked 10.75 w ace 66, I don't think I will.ill put em on baseplates and trade em if anyone is interested

GBLange

• Rep: 31
« Reply #4166 on: November 28, 2021, 06:33:34 AM »
finally got them and immediately set it up with AF1-77s and 53mm 97a slimes

Bror

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4167 on: November 28, 2021, 07:15:18 AM »
finally got them and immediately set it up with AF1-77s and 53mm 97a slimes

Such a sick setup!

What are you planing to skate with the 97s?
Wondering if those would be ok as a cruiser wheel in 54-56mm. My current 90A feels too slow

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 140
    • a short part
« Reply #4168 on: November 28, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »
Finally got it set up in time for a trip to a rad bowl tomorrow

Black Label Black Widow 9.25, wb 14.75

Ace Classic 66 s with 1/16 shims

Spitfire 56 mm 97a

Bones Swiss 6

Powell rails

Gnarred because I love everything I see here.

texasplant

• Rep: 43
« Reply #4169 on: November 28, 2021, 03:18:05 PM »
Have Winkowskis been discontinued? Canít find the old shape at all, and hardly any of the new ones around either. I just pulled mine out of storage and want to set it up again, but not if I canít replace it afterwards.