Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533627 times)

Sk8 Hawaii and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Prostate Exam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4140 on: November 23, 2021, 11:28:04 PM »
Any of you guys skate 215s as their main truck? I’ve gone through all sorts of madness over the last few years, sizing all the way up then all the way back down… but finding myself skating pools and looking to eventually start messing with vert again I want to go back to my Scram 10” with 215s again. I just recently learned inverts and think I’m going to keep concentrating on them for a bit so the bigger setup shouldn’t hurt.

Will be keeping a Loveseat with 159s around at all other times for everything else though.

I have one board that has 215s on them and I don't want to sound like a complete idiot, but It happens to me a lot on this board, that my foot touches the back truck when pushing cause the trucks are so wide. Ate shit at least two times cause of this and now I am avoiding this board.

I prefer wide trucks like the Ace classic 66s, but the 215s are just too much for me.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #4141 on: November 23, 2021, 11:54:39 PM »
Any of you guys skate 215s as their main truck? I’ve gone through all sorts of madness over the last few years, sizing all the way up then all the way back down… but finding myself skating pools and looking to eventually start messing with vert again I want to go back to my Scram 10” with 215s again. I just recently learned inverts and think I’m going to keep concentrating on them for a bit so the bigger setup shouldn’t hurt.

Will be keeping a Loveseat with 159s around at all other times for everything else though.

I’ve got em on my Krooked Beamer and that thing is a fuckin weird board to ride. Fun for just how fucked it is. Slappies are fun as it’s like driving a bus up a small set of stairs but holding a grind is tricky as there’s so much real estate on the trucks. Just set up a blockhead street style with 149s and slime balls. Oh boy that things fun!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4142 on: November 24, 2021, 05:57:40 AM »
Most of the guys I know who ride big shaped boards have more often gone with 169s compared to 215s, as they just fit so much better on everything and don't have the limiting issues as per 215s - mainly that their 215s really only work well on super duper wide boards, whereas the 169s still work on most, including a 10" board that was set up with 215s to start with that is pretty much the communal cruiser.

Personal opinion once again, but both normal and wider wheels on 169s give a better balance on everything, be it the ramps (mini or vert), the pool / bowls, and especially on street stuff, as almost all of the guys have said who have had 215s or tried the board with 215s on it.

I am sure someone could make the 215s work really well, but it is an interesting one that the preference almost every time is to go back down to 169s, or for those guys who skate Ace, the classic 66s seem to be the pick, way more than the 55s or any of the AF1 versions.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #4143 on: November 24, 2021, 10:40:14 AM »
i went from 215s back to 169s last month. instantly had cleaner rock n rolls, and consistent laback rock n rolls. feel like the 215's turn around their axis slower making those tricks slightly harder.
i also lock in cleaner on the 169s. so sticking with these.

also finding decks to fit the 215s was hard. most shaped decks taper to like 9" (or less) at the back truck. and some already taper a lot on the front truck also. hot rodding on the back is one thing. but on the front i can't do..

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4144 on: November 26, 2021, 09:50:02 AM »
I just pulled the trigger on a Tired Terrible 9" and looking for advice on which width trucks would be ideal.  I'm not sure of the measurements across the trucks holes.  Can anyone help?

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #4145 on: November 26, 2021, 01:08:43 PM »
I just pulled the trigger on a Tired Terrible 9" and looking for advice on which width trucks would be ideal.  I'm not sure of the measurements across the trucks holes.  Can anyone help?

Ace 55 classic or Indy 159

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4146 on: November 26, 2021, 02:53:15 PM »

Pretty sure they were 9 at the shoulder, 8.8 over the front bolts area and about 8.6 at the back (80s fish tail so you are always going to have some wheel overhang for the right size trucks) as well as only 14.0 wheelbase on the one I had, but this could be a different version.

As said, Indy 159s work well, but you can put Indy 169s or Ace Classic 55s on it and it would still be ok - had those options on one I had and all felt fine, but the 9" trucks did sit a bit wide for how some people would like them.

One from a while back:

First pic with 169s (which is how I bought it)
Second and third pics with 159s

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp8sov0FUNL/

Sonny Paluso

« Reply #4147 on: November 26, 2021, 08:38:22 PM »
Initially set this up with 53mm spitfire lock ins with 159 Indys, and hated it. Reset to bigger wheels. Feels so good. My 49 year old self is getting flashbacks to 14 year old me.

Black Label 10" Lucero (using 14.5wb)
Indy stage X 149 hanger on st.XI baseplates
60mm 97a Slimeballs (slide nice on asphalt)
Swiss
2 1/8" modus risers

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4148 on: November 26, 2021, 08:41:50 PM »
Initially set this up with 53mm spitfire lock ins with 159 Indys, and hated it. Reset to bigger wheels. Feels so good. My 49 year old self is getting flashbacks to 14 year old me.

Black Label 10" Lucero (using 14.5wb)
Indy stage X 149 hanger on st.XI baseplates
60mm 97a Slimeballs (slide nice on asphalt)
Swiss
2 1/8" modus risers

image hosting

My brother got me this board for my birthday so I had to set it up. Maybe the most perfect tail in history

Pinkgravy

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4149 on: November 27, 2021, 02:35:26 AM »
Yeah, I have a problem.still haven't found a board for those Indy 215 hangers,and after getting the krooked 10.75 w ace 66, I don't think I will.ill put em on baseplates and trade em if anyone is interested

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #4150 on: November 28, 2021, 06:33:34 AM »
finally got them and immediately set it up with AF1-77s and 53mm 97a slimes

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4151 on: November 28, 2021, 07:15:18 AM »
finally got them and immediately set it up with AF1-77s and 53mm 97a slimes

Such a sick setup!

What are you planing to skate with the 97s?
Wondering if those would be ok as a cruiser wheel in 54-56mm. My current 90A feels too slow

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4152 on: November 28, 2021, 11:40:37 AM »
Finally got it set up in time for a trip to a rad bowl tomorrow

Black Label Black Widow 9.25, wb 14.75

Ace Classic 66 s with 1/16 shims

Spitfire 56 mm 97a

Bones Swiss 6

Powell rails

Gnarred because I love everything I see here.
IG: @flowterspace

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4153 on: November 28, 2021, 03:18:05 PM »
Have Winkowskis been discontinued? Can’t find the old shape at all, and hardly any of the new ones around either. I just pulled mine out of storage and want to set it up again, but not if I can’t replace it afterwards.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4154 on: November 28, 2021, 03:29:40 PM »
Have Winkowskis been discontinued? Can’t find the old shape at all, and hardly any of the new ones around either. I just pulled mine out of storage and want to set it up again, but not if I can’t replace it afterwards.

The bird cage graphic have been on walls for a minute. Send it in a few different shops. I was surprised those have hung around for so long. Guess it’s because that graphics isn’t as insane as his other ones.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4155 on: November 28, 2021, 05:46:33 PM »
Oops I guess I posted this in the wrong thread. I've put together a 12XU that my brother got me for my birthday. I'll post it here after I skate it. I didn't skate today and feel really bad about that

Bought this birthday complete for myself

I got this because Rodger Bagley said it was one of the best boards he has ever ridden. So I put it together as a slappie setup. Ive been skating 8.25 for over 20 years back when that was a big board so I wasn't taking this too serious but I got a chance to skate a little transition with it today it might become my everyday setup. I'm impressed

Powell Peralta && Heron 7-Ply Maple Skateboard Deck - 9.13 x 32.8
Ace 66 classics
Bones 50mm
Bones Swiss
6 7/8 Allens with two green Phillips just to fuck with you

Rodogulous

« Reply #4156 on: November 28, 2021, 09:38:27 PM »
My first board. Initially had it set up with OJ 60mm super juices, but quickly got some wheels for the park/ramp. Now hooked and need another setup for cruising. This thread is dangerous to my wallet.

Krooked Gonz Sweatpants 9.81”
Indy 159 hollow forged w red doh doh’s (deck is bang on 8.75” at the back truck)
OJ Kimbel 5666mm 101a
Bones reds

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #4157 on: November 29, 2021, 04:07:09 AM »
My first board. Initially had it set up with OJ 60mm super juices, but quickly got some wheels for the park/ramp. Now hooked and need another setup for cruising. This thread is dangerous to my wallet.

Indy 159 hollow forged w red doh doh’s (deck is bang on 8.75” at the back truck)
OJ Kimbel 5666mm 101a
Bones reds

Yeah!

Such a good setup (and start!!!)

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4158 on: November 29, 2021, 06:31:16 AM »

OJ Kimbel 5666mm 101a
Bones reds

159s looking good on the Sweatpants 9.81!

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #4159 on: November 29, 2021, 07:08:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The bird cage graphic have been on walls for a minute. Send it in a few different shops. I was surprised those have hung around for so long. Guess it’s because that graphics isn’t as insane as his other ones.

the bird cage i liked more than his other graphics.  i was never into the psychedelic stuff.
i feel santa cruz is not putting out as much lately anyway. not only the winkowski.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #4160 on: November 29, 2021, 07:10:52 AM »
Not sure if this applies to nhs but I know there is a shortage of wider veneers right now so the 10 wide decks are not as common at the moment.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4161 on: November 29, 2021, 07:14:30 AM »

I suspect there’ll be more. Unfortunately, they seem to be beloved of collectors and flippers and are way tougher to find than a couple years ago.  Skate gear in general doesn’t seem to be as scarce as it was 5-6 months ago, so there’s hope.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #4162 on: November 29, 2021, 07:36:52 AM »

i don't believe so & i want to say that birdcage deck of his came out this year? calskate says they have them in stock but are 'in store exclusives' but i'd wager you would want to give them a call before you have someone try to pick you one up if you aren't in the area.

https://www.calsk8.com/shop-skateboards/p/pre-order-erick-winkowski-birdcage-1034-deck-by-santa-cruz-skateboards-ships-late-september-early-november

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #4163 on: November 29, 2021, 02:51:42 PM »
Oh yeah - heroin makes both the whale tail and slimmed down Winkowski shapes and madness does the slim. Neither have that sweet, sweet Cruz missile II concave, though.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
« Reply #4164 on: November 29, 2021, 04:19:34 PM »
Oops I guess I posted this in the wrong thread. I've put together a 12XU that my brother got me for my birthday. I'll post it here after I skate it. I didn't skate today and feel really bad about that

Expand Quote
Bought this birthday complete for myself

I got this because Rodger Bagley said it was one of the best boards he has ever ridden. So I put it together as a slappie setup. Ive been skating 8.25 for over 20 years back when that was a big board so I wasn't taking this too serious but I got a chance to skate a little transition with it today it might become my everyday setup. I'm impressed

Powell Peralta && Heron 7-Ply Maple Skateboard Deck - 9.13 x 32.8
Ace 66 classics
Bones 50mm
Bones Swiss
6 7/8 Allens with two green Phillips just to fuck with you
[close]

I want to know what you think of it. I have the flight version, and took a sander to the sharp edges and mellowed them out. I really like the deck too, I thought it would be too much (the concave is really steep at the flares!) but ended up liking how it skates
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #4165 on: November 30, 2021, 06:05:30 AM »
TGM still has the Anti Hero Beach Bum deck.. am tempted to get it..

notacrediblewitness

« Reply #4166 on: November 30, 2021, 09:08:50 AM »

These 9" popsicle shaped orange eagles are by far my favorite. Got a second one once this is done and will definitely grab a few more.

53mm wheels (OJ winkowski's) and Ace af1 66s.

The stock bushings were a little too soft, so I replace the stock top bushing with a bones hard bottom bushing. Let's me have the nut tightened just to the top of the kingpin and still have the medium/loose turning.

With Indys I always had to ride them a bit looser than I wanted to get the turn I wanted. Aces definitely turn sharper and I can have them a bit tighter while still turning sharp. Good carve and pinch, way less wheel bite. Definitely sticking with this setup for a while.

Rodogulous

« Reply #4167 on: November 30, 2021, 02:59:31 PM »

These 9" popsicle shaped orange eagles are by far my favorite. Got a second one once this is done and will definitely grab a few more.

53mm wheels (OJ winkowski's) and Ace af1 66s.

The stock bushings were a little too soft, so I replace the stock top bushing with a bones hard bottom bushing. Let's me have the nut tightened just to the top of the kingpin and still have the medium/loose turning.

With Indys I always had to ride them a bit looser than I wanted to get the turn I wanted. Aces definitely turn sharper and I can have them a bit tighter while still turning sharp. Good carve and pinch, way less wheel bite. Definitely sticking with this setup for a while.

I'm thinking of getting one of these  for the park/transition (or the GT 9" Totem).. Reckon Indy 159's would be too narrow? Switch to 169? Switch to Ace?

Looks like you've had no shortage of wheel bite!

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4168 on: November 30, 2021, 08:45:47 PM »
Cross post from setup thread

Relieved my work stress by adding another to the queue.

Krooked Gonz Sweatpants 9.81
Ace 55 Classics
Bones Swiss
Spitfire 58mm Conical Full 99a
Diamond 1" Allen
Mob

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #4169 on: December 01, 2021, 06:17:25 AM »
Cross post from setup thread

Relieved my work stress by adding another to the queue.

Krooked Gonz Sweatpants 9.81
Ace 55 Classics
Bones Swiss
Spitfire 58mm Conical Full 99a
Diamond 1" Allen
Mob

Ohhh, the fluorescent one. Saw this and was a bit bummed I recently got the Stairs 9.81 as a spare. Such a sick look for the Sweatpants.