Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 540054 times)

animalflesh

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5340 on: February 13, 2023, 04:07:06 PM »

Junkwood popsicle (9.25 15 WB)
Ace classic 55
Lil Jawns
WD Hardware
58 97 CF
Big balls
Welcome grip

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #5341 on: February 13, 2023, 10:02:05 PM »
Roof leak in my garage and puddling sogged out my Winkowski deck, so I threw this together.

Creature x 303 Boards 10” Wheelbarrow shape
Indy 169
60mm OJs
Bronson Ceramic
Mob Grip
Dooks 1/4” risers

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #5342 on: February 16, 2023, 01:07:02 PM »

• Sob Story 9.25" prototype we've dubbed the "Earl" shape (9.25"x32" w/ 14.25" wb)
  • Mob grip
  • Indy Stage 4 166's
  • Indy 7/8’s allen hardware
  • Bronson Ceramics
  • OJ Elite Hardline 99a 56’s

Damn this looks sick. And the specs sound really good too.
IG: @flowterspace

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5343 on: February 16, 2023, 01:11:01 PM »
Damn this looks sick. And the specs sound really good too.

Thanks! We're going to give the first 4 a shakedown to make sure the specs are exactly what we want, then do a 2nd sample batch to get a few people added to the feedback loop. If all goes well, we'll have a first "production" run somewhere in late spring / early summer. So far its been a super fun project, and with no real end goal other than to make a board we're into I'm hoping it'll stay fun hahaha
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #5344 on: February 16, 2023, 03:21:27 PM »

• Sob Story 9.25" prototype we've dubbed the "Earl" shape (9.25"x32" w/ 14.25" wb)
  • Mob grip
  • Indy Stage 4 166's
  • Bronson Ceramics

looks great! lets see a top shot/pov?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #5345 on: February 16, 2023, 06:35:25 PM »
SSD exclusives

« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 04:29:51 AM by GBLange »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5346 on: February 16, 2023, 06:58:13 PM »
xpost
Quote from: off link =topic=112584.msg3964844#msg3964844 date=1676596384
does anyone have a polar 9” popsicle on hand?
i know polar has a history of labeling 14.38 wb as 14.5
want to know if thats still the case before i buy
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #5347 on: February 16, 2023, 08:09:09 PM »
xpost
Quote from: off link =topic=112584.msg3964844#msg3964844 date=1676596384
Expand Quote
does anyone have a polar 9” popsicle on hand?
i know polar has a history of labeling 14.38 wb as 14.5
want to know if thats still the case before i buy
[close]

Yeah I’ve got one of the Hjalte ones with wheel wells - it’s 14.5.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #5348 on: February 17, 2023, 04:23:49 PM »

• Mob grip
  • Indy Stage 4 166's
  • Bronson Ceramics
Damn. You just about hit perfect dims/shape for me personally. Not a fan of the spin stains but thats because I keep the super busy crap on the top.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #5349 on: February 17, 2023, 04:31:19 PM »
thank you! yeah, that looks great! love the grip also.

Danimal82

• Rep: 0
Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5350 on: February 17, 2023, 05:24:07 PM »
I would love some advice on trucks to go with a 10.1" Heroin dead dave deck...

Up to now I have thought of the Indy 215s and the narrower Ace 77s... The deck is 9.75" at the tail bolts and a little wider  9.85" across the nose bolts.  I fancy trying the Aces but am nervous that the 9.5" axle would lead to instability... I'm a novice and weigh about 200lbs ( 14stone+)

I really wondered what sort of effect trucks with axles 1/4 to 1/2 inch narrower than the deck, would have on the stability of the ride and just the experience in general.

I'm gonna use it to ride bowls and curbs..

Any advice and experiences would be appreciated.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5351 on: February 17, 2023, 06:28:04 PM »
Damn. You just about hit perfect dims/shape for me personally. Not a fan of the spin stains but thats because I keep the super busy crap on the top.

The spin stain was something Joe @ Pennswood offered to do for samples and we ran with it for the first batch. Colors/stains are all subject to change (I’d personally love to do a camo stain for the production run lol)
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

freidnly guy

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5352 on: February 17, 2023, 08:07:34 PM »
trucks to go with a 10.1" Heroin dead dave deck...
215s make your board kind of a tank, not a problem if you aren't flipping your board. af1 77s are less stable not as much because they are narrow but because they are ace. I also tried thunder 161 which are more stable than ace, turn less and wheelbite more, also I didn't find too narrow. Long story short, follow your heart...

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #5353 on: February 18, 2023, 02:08:47 AM »

Up to now I have thought of the Indy 215s and the narrower Ace 77s... The deck is 9.75" at the tail bolts and a little wider  9.85" across the nose bolts.  I fancy trying the Aces but am nervous that the 9.5" axle would lead to instability... I'm a novice and weigh about 200lbs ( 14stone+)

I really wondered what sort of effect trucks with axles 1/4 to 1/2 inch narrower than the deck, would have on the stability of the ride and just the experience in general.

its funny how once every 2 months or so this topic comes up. i don't think ace77 width is gonna effect the stabitily (ace being ace might, like the other guy said).
i'm sure Dave himself rides them with classic 66's.
i ride it with 169's and like it that way.

but one thing is for sure, of you wanna try the 215's this is the board to try it on. there are not many boards that fit 215's that well.

just follow yuor hearth.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #5354 on: February 18, 2023, 03:10:33 PM »
Expand Quote
looks great! lets see a top shot/pov?
[close]

It's pouring today so I'm stuck taking indoor shots.

One of the things I set out to do with the shape is to cater the fit to a 9" truck a little better than some other shapes that I've skated in the past. For some reason, a lot of directional shapes have a somewhat drastic taper toward the back truck and I wanted to do something that didn't give "hoverboard" look while also avoiding the "drag racer" look in the rear with your wheels being super exposed. With this, the outer edge of the wheel meets just about at the edge of the rear (8.75" over axle) and you can just about see the axle nut in the front (9" over axle). I designed it to skate more like a big popsicle and you kind of achieve that with how mellow the taper is.

I'm also super picky with tail shapes (I do a bunch of tail blocks) so I went for a more square shape than what a lot of people have been doing recently and took a bit of inspiration for the nose shape from an AH Raney board.

I’d skate that. I’d skate that so hard.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #5355 on: February 18, 2023, 03:27:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

its funny how once every 2 months or so this topic comes up. i don't think ace77 width is gonna effect the stabitily (ace being ace might, like the other guy said).
i'm sure Dave himself rides them with classic 66's.
i ride it with 169's and like it that way.

but one thing is for sure, of you wanna try the 215's this is the board to try it on. there are not many boards that fit 215's that well.

just follow yuor hearth.

The only thing I might not do is 10” truck with a wide ass reissue wheel like a slime ball or other 40+ mm wide wheel. Of course, you could, but personal preference for me is 10”trucks up to like conical full width and 9” for a wide 80’s style wheel.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5356 on: February 19, 2023, 10:30:22 AM »

Based on your size and assuming the wheels are going to be pretty big and chunky for the bowl riding, I would probably recommend 77s with the Ace hard bushings. They’re 94A, but I think they ride more like a 90A/92A because of the Ace turn, and they do a good job dampening wheelbite on Aces.

animalflesh

« Reply #5357 on: February 19, 2023, 02:55:30 PM »
When I met Dave he had AF1 77 and 54 mm wheels on that shape and 1/8 risers

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5358 on: February 20, 2023, 04:00:43 AM »
I ride the 66 classics on my mutants and I have to say the setup is too perfect for any terrain.
I weigh around 90kg and ride very loose and rattling trucks and some 55mm OJs.
Try to get used to the looser trucks, you will benefit a lot from it. Especially on transition.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #5359 on: February 20, 2023, 10:50:28 AM »
I ride the 66 classics on my mutants and I have to say the setup is too perfect for any terrain.
Try to get used to the looser trucks, you will benefit a lot from it. Especially on transition.

Everyone keeps saying that about riding looser trucks. I want to get goodish at mini ramp. How’s wheelbite gonna help me?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5360 on: February 20, 2023, 02:57:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Everyone keeps saying that about riding looser trucks. I want to get goodish at mini ramp. How’s wheelbite gonna help me?

I ride significantly looser trucks on transition than on street stuff, but I prefer a bit more movement and don't have any wheelbite issues on ramp usually.

That said, I know some times when I know I am already bailing out of a trick and push down hard on one side the wheelbite is actually a good thing and I can get off my board more easily, almost like putting the hand brake on in that regard.

As to personal opinions, if you are balanced and can get down lower, it will definitely help, but being able to carve and turn more easily, even on straight walls was the main thing for me.

For how tight or loose you have your own trucks, I was skating with a couple of older guys the other week and they both had "no movement" kind of trucks, almost a whole cm of kingpin showing on Indy standards, which in itself was nuts, but after they had a go on one of my bigger boards with stock bushings with nut flush and softer wheels, one guy said it was weird and scary at first, but then he started to really like that he could turn and just lean a whole lot more so was going to loosen his off some.

I said just loosen it off half a turn and have a skate, then another half a turn, etc to ease into it.  Then if it gets too loose for you you can tighten it back up half a turn and so on.  Definitely would not be going from as tight as he had it to just nut flush and hope for the best, but that is just me anyway.

@Prostate Exam rips too, so having good balance and skill really helps with looser trucks.  Those clips of that indoor park ramp were definitely worth watching again.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #5361 on: February 20, 2023, 04:56:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I ride significantly looser trucks on transition than on street stuff, but I prefer a bit more movement and don't have any wheelbite issues on ramp usually.

That said, I know some times when I know I am already bailing out of a trick and push down hard on one side the wheelbite is actually a good thing and I can get off my board more easily, almost like putting the hand brake on in that regard.

As to personal opinions, if you are balanced and can get down lower, it will definitely help, but being able to carve and turn more easily, even on straight walls was the main thing for me.

For how tight or loose you have your own trucks, I was skating with a couple of older guys the other week and they both had "no movement" kind of trucks, almost a whole cm of kingpin showing on Indy standards, which in itself was nuts, but after they had a go on one of my bigger boards with stock bushings with nut flush and softer wheels, one guy said it was weird and scary at first, but then he started to really like that he could turn and just lean a whole lot more so was going to loosen his off some.

I said just loosen it off half a turn and have a skate, then another half a turn, etc to ease into it.  Then if it gets too loose for you you can tighten it back up half a turn and so on.  Definitely would not be going from as tight as he had it to just nut flush and hope for the best, but that is just me anyway.

@Prostate Exam rips too, so having good balance and skill really helps with looser trucks.  Those clips of that indoor park ramp were definitely worth watching again.

I think looseness also has to he considered relative to weight. I’m 225lbs. Someone that’s 150 lbs would think my trucks are tight—and for them they would be too tight. But when I lean they go where I tell them too.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5362 on: February 20, 2023, 11:54:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for the kind words!!

animalflesh

« Reply #5363 on: February 21, 2023, 04:52:56 AM »
Can’t be having a big board and tight trucks

Half of the fun of a big board is turning

disclosed

« Reply #5364 on: February 21, 2023, 09:05:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think looseness also has to he considered relative to weight. I’m 225lbs. Someone that’s 150 lbs would think my trucks are tight—and for them they would be too tight. But when I lean they go where I tell them too.

its funny, i weight even more (less funny for me) but a lot of people complain about how loose my trucks are, even when they're  skinny themselves. but then i step on their boards and i can't steer at all.
tho i tihnk that can't steer at all feeling isn't cause their trucks are so tight, but more so that i'm used to steering without having to do anything at all.

i've spend quite a while losening my trucks slowly over time. every time it felt normal again i'd do half a turn looser again. throws you off at fist bit i allways get used to it again. i'ts just soo much more fun swerving around on loose trucks. i could never go back. i can't deny my pop suffered tho.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #5365 on: February 21, 2023, 09:08:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

its funny, i weight even more (less funny for me) but a lot of people complain about how loose my trucks are, even when they're  skinny themselves. but then i step on their boards and i can't steer at all.
tho i tihnk that can't steer at all feeling isn't cause their trucks are so tight, but more so that i'm used to steering without having to do anything at all.

i've spend quite a while losening my trucks slowly over time. every time it felt normal again i'd do half a turn looser again. throws you off at fist bit i allways get used to it again. i'ts just soo much more fun swerving around on loose trucks. i could never go back. i can't deny my pop suffered tho.

Hey, man, if you're having fun then nothing else matters!

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #5366 on: February 21, 2023, 11:11:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’m asking because my Bones Hards have mushed out, and I’m trying stupid stuff again, and have mixed a set of Indy 96a and mini-logo 100a and have a top from one set and a bottom from the other. Feels good, and they’re not as tightened down as the old ones. I’ll try and keep them a little looser.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, for sure weight has a lot of say here. I’m on my second journey down from 290. Down to a more manageable 260. Skating and little lifestyle changes goes a long way. First time coming down I went down the keto rabbit hole, and it wasn’t sustainable for me.

If someone around 150 would stand on my board it won’t turn, but it’ll surf real nice for me.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5367 on: February 21, 2023, 01:14:29 PM »
I went from tight (Indy with bones hards tightened down) to loose (Aces with stock bushings with thinner washers) after I broke my leg. Getting back to skating after like 6 months off the board I didn't have the strength to turn the damn skateboard anymore. So I kept going looser and looser. Settled on Aces. I was weighing around 90 kgs back then, so I wasn't exactly light. Anyway, I feel like it has a lot to do with how you like to control the turning also. I never figured out how to actually make tight trucks turn after breaking my leg even though I got my strength back and more. I guess I had learned a different way of being on the board.

Just wanted to say that it's a lot more about how you control your board than your weight in my opinion.

disclosed

« Reply #5368 on: February 21, 2023, 01:34:07 PM »
I went from tight (Indy with bones hards tightened down) to loose (Aces with stock bushings with thinner washers) after I broke my leg. Getting back to skating after like 6 months off the board I didn't have the strength to turn the damn skateboard anymore. So I kept going looser and looser. Settled on Aces. I was weighing around 90 kgs back then, so I wasn't exactly light. Anyway, I feel like it has a lot to do with how you like to control the turning also. I never figured out how to actually make tight trucks turn after breaking my leg even though I got my strength back and more. I guess I had learned a different way of being on the board.

Just wanted to say that it's a lot more about how you control your board than your weight in my opinion.

thats kinda what i tried to say too.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 583
« Reply #5369 on: February 21, 2023, 01:40:21 PM »

Adding on,
After injuries or relationships/weather where I was off the board. I’ve noticed I go back to loose trucks. I’ll be super uncoordinated but once I get my handful of tricks back I get set on loose trucks.

It’s a while process of relearning and your style changes.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.