Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 537889 times)

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1800 on: August 03, 2020, 06:56:51 PM »
Just set up a 9”x15”x33” with titanium 169. Took a day or two to adjust and only had one sorta session on it but took me a minute to get used to 1/8” risers again. The soft stock bushings had me wheelbiting so I threw risers on. But adjusted pretty quick and felt good with all that board to land and stabilize on.

darkthrone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 154
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1801 on: August 04, 2020, 11:05:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
https://heroin.myshopify.com/products/mutant-10-0

I will buy the shit out of this
[close]

WHAT ARE THE WHEELBASES FOR ALL THEIR SHIT
[close]

I love Fos but dislike this!!!
Anyone know the WB on the Deerman shape?
[close]
I have my eye on the Street Baller 9.7. looks like the WB is adjustable, IG post says he'll be putting up specs soon, they've done so on some of the smaller width decks in other posts.

[close]
@darkthrone Any info in this, plz?

Yep mate, sorry, I just saw this message, I don't lurk super hard on here, I'm better at responding on Instagram. Street Baller does have an adjustable WB, It's 14.125 or 14.75. It also had the razortop construction. (Which I personally really love, and its all I want to skate at the moment). 
Hope this helps

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1303
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1802 on: August 04, 2020, 11:53:28 PM »
I shoulda been a man about it. 14.125 is good news to me. Thanks again!
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Skrotum

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1803 on: August 05, 2020, 12:06:17 AM »
Hello all,

This was posted in the Setup Thread also.

I'm a new user, but an old school skateboarder! Lol  :P

I used to skate back in the 80's and I still have my Powell Peralta Tony Hawk XT Screaming Chicken Iron Cross original skateboard!

I just setup a skateboard to have fun again. I did it 90's style.
Blank 90s/Pool deck with tiny wheels.

Special Shape Blank 90s/Pool Board

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLANK-POOL-SKATEBOARD-DECK-4-SHAPES-4-SIZES-OLD-SKOOL-80S-90S-STYLE-NEW/202561485626?hash=item2f299afb3a:g:lkEAAOSwUpFcNezW

Length X Width - 32.25 X 9 INCHES
Wheelbase - 14.75 INCHES

Independent 159 Stage XI Forged Hollow Trucks
Nicotine Smoke Stacks 1/8" Risers[I'm old and added them to absorb impact]
Rellik Titanium Ceramic Bearings
44mm 101a "Squared Shape" Wheels
Mob Griptape[I did a horrible job]
No Name Hardware

Can't wait to try this out and have fun!  :)

Cheers!

Great looking setup love the fat board with 44mm but what is up with the wheel sticking out do you do extra spacers on the inside of some wheels?

FakieDisaster

• Rep: 25
  • old leg
« Reply #1804 on: August 06, 2020, 08:08:38 AM »
My first 9inch setup

Hardlife 9" (Some China pressed deck, local brand here in Malaysia), with free generic grip.
Indy 149 cast hollow, Louie Lopez signature trucks
52mm ricta clouds, 78a
Bones Reds bearings
Indy 1" hardware (thinking going to add risers soon)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 08:41:13 PM by FakieDisaster »

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #1805 on: August 07, 2020, 10:22:20 AM »
My Doubles Ltd order came in. 90s shape.
Really excited to try this one out.
It's like a slightly smaller $lave War Pig, which I love.
159s and 56 classic F4s.
I think 6.1s would also fit this nicely.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #1806 on: August 07, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »

9” Boat shape from Santa Cruz. I watched a video on these and decided to try one. Steep kicks with the same concave for the nose and tail (slightly longer nose) 14.25wb
Thunder 161 with mini logo medium bushings
Spitfire F4 classics 54mm 99a
Mob grip
Rocking Ron’s bearings
Bender hardware

Skated this deck/truck combo for the first time yesterday and then again today.  I like it. The steep kicks take a little to get used to but ultimately make me pop a little higher. Being a big dude I like a stiff deck anyway. :o  The thunders feel good but I think it’s because I’m using a barrel bottom bushing. They take away that immediate wheelbite feeling of thunders. I’m coming from Indy 169s and the thunders are more stable and give me more confidence and they’re still surfy enough. I can still do slappies, skate the bowl, and do my limited flatground and ledge tricks.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #1807 on: August 07, 2020, 11:33:06 AM »
How do barrel bottom bushings fit on thunders? I considered but always thought they would be a little off due to size.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1808 on: August 07, 2020, 11:47:27 AM »

9” Boat shape from Santa Cruz. I watched a video on these and decided to try one. Steep kicks with the same concave for the nose and tail (slightly longer nose) 14.25wb
Mob grip
Rocking Ron’s bearings
Bender hardware

Skated this deck/truck combo for the first time yesterday and then again today.  I like it. The steep kicks take a little to get used to but ultimately make me pop a little higher. Being a big dude I like a stiff deck anyway. :o  The thunders feel good but I think it’s because I’m using a barrel bottom bushing. They take away that immediate wheelbite feeling of thunders. I’m coming from Indy 169s and the thunders are more stable and give me more confidence and they’re still surfy enough. I can still do slappies, skate the bowl, and do my limited flatground and ledge tricks.

on 169 now, just curious how was the 55mm to 53.5mm height difference going from 169 to 161? I'm a little bigger too and I need to swap out my stock indy bushings.
that 9" x 32.15" length sounds good

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #1809 on: August 07, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »
How do barrel bottom bushings fit on thunders? I considered but always thought they would be a little off due to size.

They fit fine. You just need a washer to fit the bottom bushing you’re using. The part of the bushing that touches the hanger is the same diameter as most barrel bushings.   The mini logo bushings are the same height as the thunders.

When I set it up first using a normal top washer I couldn’t get wheelbite... smooth easy turn that would stop because the washer hit the hanger, switched to a flat washer on top and it’s perfect now.

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #1810 on: August 07, 2020, 12:23:22 PM »
Expand Quote

Mob grip
Rocking Ron’s bearings
Bender hardware

[close]
on 169 now, just curious how was the 55mm to 53.5mm height difference going from 169 to 161? I'm a little bigger too and I need to swap out my stock indy bushings.
that 9" x 32.15" length sounds good

169s are my favorite Indy. I started with regular cast baseplates but then switched to forged and I liked that height better.

If you can find the supercush 97a bushings I like running those in indys

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 273
« Reply #1811 on: August 08, 2020, 05:40:10 AM »
My first 9inch setup

Hardlife 9" (Some China pressed deck, local brand here in Malaysia), with free generic grip.
Indy 149 cast hollow, Louie Lopez signature trucks
52mm ricta clouds, 78a
Bones Reds bearings
Indy 1" hardware (thinking going to add risers soon)

Hello fellow countrymen.. Wanted to try their decks, but not sure what's the wheelbase..

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1812 on: August 08, 2020, 05:42:46 AM »
Just picked up an Anti Hero 9.1 Orange Crusher. Anyone tried one of these?
Not sure if I should throw Ace 55 or 66 on it.

I set mine with Indy 169 hollows, with the cast plate.

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1813 on: August 08, 2020, 05:04:07 PM »

aksanaom

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1814 on: August 08, 2020, 08:21:40 PM »
This was my first 9in popsicle and I was instantly in love, so much fun.

Creature 9x33
indy hollow 159
Switching between spitfire f4 lockins and ricta clouds for cruising.
The concave and the kicks are pretty steep, maybe a little too steep for my liking, but has a lot of pop.

This board lead me to picking up this:
Anti Hero eagle 9x33.25
same indy 159's, but i'm really curious to try some 169's on it
Darkroom griptape
The concave is more mellow than the creature, it feels amazing, super comfy under my feet. Also the extra length just feels a little better. This board is so fun, I have pretty big feet and even on 8.5's I never felt very comfortable.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1815 on: August 08, 2020, 09:30:17 PM »

Mob grip
Rocking Ron’s bearings
Bender hardware

I wanna try this 9" boat deck..are they symmetrical?

Gurrrm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1816 on: August 09, 2020, 03:54:40 PM »
Im wondering what would be the smallest board width you could run on a set of Independent 215's without it looking like a frankenboard. Maybe 9.8"?

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1817 on: August 09, 2020, 05:12:19 PM »
Im wondering what would be the smallest board width you could run on a set of Independent 215's without it looking like a frankenboard. Maybe 9.8"?
Depends on the shape, really.
I‘ve skated a 9.5 on it and liked it a lot. Really depends on how wide the tail is, to me.

Edit: I’m happy to see a lot of 9ers here, am also on one, at the moment.

9x14.25x33.25
169s
F4 conical full
And my stinky toes...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 05:31:32 PM by jtrpma »

PMA

aksanaom

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1818 on: August 09, 2020, 09:21:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I‘ve skated a 9.5 on it and liked it a lot. Really depends on how wide the tail is, to me.

9x14.25x33.25
169s
F4 conical full
And my stinky toes...

What deck is that?

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #1819 on: August 10, 2020, 04:05:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

9x14.25x33.25
169s
F4 conical full
And my stinky toes...
[close]

What deck is that?

It‘s a „feel“ older Euro something. Got in in Barcelona a few years back and never skated it much until I resurrected it recently

PMA

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1820 on: August 10, 2020, 04:20:52 PM »

Love Seat
159 (Conical bushings flat washer)
58mm OG Classics
Swiss

Just switched from 6.1s back to Indys, they felt great for everything except skating pools. Also might go down to 55mm considering the Indys are higher and getting a little ghosty.

Such a good shape...but the decks cracked after about 3 weeks of skating...im a bug guy but i dont do big stair sets or gaps. I wish i could trust the wood to get it again.

Also...i found it so much better when i switched from Indy 159’s to Thunder 149’s...made the board so much more poppy and lively

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1821 on: August 10, 2020, 04:24:29 PM »
Expand Quote

Love Seat
58mm OG Classics
Swiss

Just switched from 6.1s back to Indys, they felt great for everything except skating pools. Also might go down to 55mm considering the Indys are higher and getting a little ghosty.
[close]

Such a good shape...but the decks cracked after about 3 weeks of skating...im a bug guy but i dont do big stair sets or gaps. I wish i could trust the wood to get it again.

Also...i found it so much better when i switched from Indy 159’s to Thunder 149’s...made the board so much more poppy and lively
Crack as in break or stress cracks? I heard crail stuff stress cracks pretty quickly but I could also see it just getting dusted by the big body bois such as myself. There's a couple of shapes I have been thinking of trying but I've been leery since I've heard all kinds of reports about the wood.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1822 on: August 10, 2020, 04:36:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love Seat
58mm OG Classics
Swiss

[close]

[close]
Crack as in break or stress cracks? I heard crail stuff stress cracks pretty quickly but I could also see it just getting dusted by the big body bois such as myself. There's a couple of shapes I have been thinking of trying but I've been leery since I've heard all kinds of reports about the wood.

It started as stress cracks after the second session. I have a mate that use to get girl decks and always get stress cracks...so i ignored it on mine. But after about a week the stress cracks got bigger and actually broke through the grip tape. By the end the stress crack was about 6-7inches long, relatively deep and i could feel the tail getting soggier and flexing as soon as id go down to pop.

If i was a smaller lighter guy i could probably keep skating for a while longer...but at 6’3” 200lbs, it was struggling carry me

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1823 on: August 10, 2020, 04:42:50 PM »
It started as stress cracks after the second session. I have a mate that use to get girl decks and always get stress cracks...so i ignored it on mine. But after about a week the stress cracks got bigger and actually broke through the grip tape. By the end the stress crack was about 6-7inches long, relatively deep and i could feel the tail getting soggier and flexing as soon as id go down to pop.

If i was a smaller lighter guy i could probably keep skating for a while longer...but at 6’3” 200lbs, it was struggling carry me
I feel you. Thanks for the info.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1824 on: August 11, 2020, 11:51:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Love Seat
58mm OG Classics
Swiss

[close]

[close]
[close]

weird, I had the same experience with my chocolate board that I got a while ago. The stress cracks got so huge on the tail they went through the griptape and the tail cracked right between the bolts (not on the tail side, closer to the middle of the board). Although it is cracked I feel like the crack actually let out some pressure on the back truck so it still has plenty of pop but it does have a bit of flex on the tail (obviously). I wonder why girl decks have this problem because even before it cracked there was hella creaking sounds when id put pressure on my tail.

AssMountain

• Rep: 30
« Reply #1825 on: August 13, 2020, 08:26:00 AM »

10" Black Label Lucero
Ace 55's
56mm Santa Cruz Slime Balls
Modus bearings and bolts

Only skated it once, and it was hard to get used to, but I'm really liking having a wide platform, and I've always loved square tails.

Once I was alone I just laid on the futon listening to Leonard Cohen and thinking about the other girl I liked and missed.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #1826 on: August 14, 2020, 09:24:23 PM »

Chocolate Raven Tershey - 9.25 x 32 x 13.875wb (G048 shape)
Thunder 161 hollow lights (with Khiro 95a barrel bottom bushing and indy bottom washer)
Spitfire F4 51mm radial slims
Bronson G3

Scram "Cope" - 9.38 x 32 x 14.6wb
Krux k4 9" (with Khiro 95a barrel bottom bushing and stock bottom washer)
1/8" indy risers
Ohcake "Blue Monster" 58mm 102a
Bronson G3

« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:42:56 PM by cjt »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1827 on: August 15, 2020, 02:15:38 AM »
↑ nice choice on the chocolate shape, been riding mine for over a month now!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1828 on: August 15, 2020, 04:45:03 AM »
G048 9.25” at widest and whats it taper to in front/rear bolts? 9.125” trucks seem to fit really well.

Didnt realize thunder 161 hollow lights are 9.125”wide x 53.5mm high just like Indy 169 forged  hollow/ti

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #1829 on: August 15, 2020, 06:26:22 AM »

Chocolate Ryan Tershey - 9.25 x 32 x 13.875wb (G048 shape)
Thunder 161 hollow lights (with Khiro 95a barrel bottom bushing and indy bottom washer)
Spitfire F4 51mm radial slims
Bronson G3

Scram "Cope" - 9.38 x 32 x 14.6wb
Krux k4 9" (with Khiro 95a barrel bottom bushing and stock bottom washer)
1/8" indy risers
Ohcake "Blue Monster" 58mm 102a
Bronson G3
Ryan Tershey is my dog.