Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 543626 times)

chaosisme and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #2550 on: December 07, 2020, 11:03:33 AM »
Anyone try either of the Krooked Barbee shapes? I’m kinda tempted on the 10” flames one, but would prob rather have the other one

My homie has one (flames) and I rode it for a bit. Fun to pump around on and do slappies, but the wheelbase is far too long for me to give you a fair opinion. If you’re into long wb go with flames, short wb go with clouds.

TumKayo

« Reply #2551 on: December 07, 2020, 11:33:34 AM »
I like how they look for sure, but they seem a little less functional than other shapes. Correct me if I’m wrong, I haven’t skated shapes like that.

finecojeffe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #2552 on: December 08, 2020, 08:17:31 AM »
anyone know the width on the 9.25 Girl/Chocolate couch shape at the trucks? I thought I read 8.75 somewhere but I can't find it to be sure. Trying to decide on this or the 9.0 and going with either Indy 169 or 159...

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2553 on: December 08, 2020, 08:28:46 AM »
anyone know the width on the 9.25 Girl/Chocolate couch shape at the trucks? I thought I read 8.75 somewhere but I can't find it to be sure. Trying to decide on this or the 9.0 and going with either Indy 169 or 159...
Expand Quote
Those creature decks are cool.

What does the width measure over trucks?
[close]
same as the couch shape. ~9" front 8.75" back

search this thread for "couch" there's some good pics, peoiple have used both, indy 169 and ace 55, and also smaller trucks

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #2554 on: December 08, 2020, 08:39:20 AM »
ah search...it's odd when i completely forget such a thing exists. Having a brain fog today. Thanks for the info though!

TumKayo

« Reply #2555 on: December 08, 2020, 10:41:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Picked up some Ace 55’s on sale.

I need a rad big boy deck to pair with the trucks.

I don’t want a 15 inch wb.

Any recommendations?

What are everyones go-to decks for Ace 55’s?
[close]

If you can find one, Heroin Curb crusher XL is pretty great with those!

Did you ever get back on the Street Baller?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2556 on: December 08, 2020, 11:26:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Any recommendations?

[close]

[close]

Nah, not yet, going through a popsicle phase at the moment haha

I’m sure I’ll be back in shaped deck mode soon enough though :)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2557 on: December 08, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »
id go with 159s personally, I have film 6.0s on my couch shape

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #2558 on: December 08, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Any recommendations?

[close]

[close]

[close]

Polar 1991/1992, Cardiel Football, Polar Dane1, Heroin 9.4 egg
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

chat noir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2559 on: December 08, 2020, 03:23:24 PM »
what size indies are you riding with the dane 1? 169s?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2560 on: December 08, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »
what size indies are you riding with the dane 1? 169s?
depends what you're looking for, wider/stable then go bigger.. 8.75" trucks and 9" trucks both work. tons of dane 1 set ups in this thread you can browse and compare.

TumKayo

« Reply #2561 on: December 08, 2020, 04:00:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Any recommendations?

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice. I’m digging the big popsicles too. What’s on deck for you after the Santa Cruz?

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2562 on: December 08, 2020, 06:09:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Any recommendations?

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice. I’m digging the big popsicles too. What’s on deck for you after the Santa Cruz?

I got one of those 9.25 Heroin popsicles with the shorter wheelbase I’m looking forward to setting up! I’ll either set that up or go back to the 10’ Heroin egg I was riding a couple months ago. I rode it maybe five or six times before switching out so I still have a lot of life left in that one.

You still on the Street baller?

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #2563 on: December 09, 2020, 06:36:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
id go with 159s personally, I have film 6.0s on my couch shape
thanks, I am probably going with the 159's for it. Gonna be a little bit till I pull the trigger though because I wound up ordering one of those socal skate 9" deck which backs up the drkrm I just set up. Definitely looking forward to the smaller wheelbase, but I've found I like a shorter nose. Seems like the couch has a normal nose, and with any board where the nose is 7" or more I can't nollie very well for some reason. But that sub 14" wheelbase will definitely be something I look forward to regardless.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal

TumKayo

« Reply #2565 on: December 09, 2020, 09:15:37 AM »
^^^nice. Calsk8 still has a bunch too. Great deck, my favorite non-egg shape currently

I got one of those 9.25 Heroin popsicles with the shorter wheelbase I’m looking forward to setting up! I’ll either set that up or go back to the 10’ Heroin egg I was riding a couple months ago. I rode it maybe five or six times before switching out so I still have a lot of life left in that one.

I got the Street Baller on Ace 55s. I love it, almost as much as the Mutant, but I barely skate it. I’m having a hard time with my Ace trucks again. Mainly because I just moved to a crusty/chunky city and can’t use big wheels on them. I’m finding the razortop to feel exceptional under my feet, however it’s easier to chip than a regular top construction.

That 9.25 Heroin purpsicle is soo good. It’s all I want to skate right now, but alas I have Ace 66s on it and the small wheels get caught up on things for me.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2566 on: December 09, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »
^^^nice. Calsk8 still has a bunch too. Great deck, my favorite non-egg shape currently

Expand Quote

[close]

I got the Street Baller on Ace 55s. I love it, almost as much as the Mutant, but I barely skate it. I’m having a hard time with my Ace trucks again. Mainly because I just moved to a crusty/chunky city and can’t use big wheels on them. I’m finding the razortop to feel exceptional under my feet, however it’s easier to chip than a regular top construction.

That 9.25 Heroin purpsicle is soo good. It’s all I want to skate right now, but alas I have Ace 66s on it and the small wheels get caught up on things for me.

Interesting! Do you get wheelbite on the Aces when you use big wheels? I was riding 44’s with 61mm wheels a couple years ago without any problems but I rode them medium tight back then.

Nice, I’m looking forward to skating the Purplesicle too. The Creature is fun but I could use a more concave and maybe steeper kicks. The Heroin seems to fit that bill. I’d like to try a 9+ popsicle made by South central to see how that feels. I got some 8.8/9’ square popsicles made by Pennswood in their deep concave a while back and those are fantastic

TumKayo

« Reply #2567 on: December 09, 2020, 03:05:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Interesting! Do you get wheelbite on the Aces when you use big wheels? I was riding 44’s with 61mm wheels a couple years ago without any problems but I rode them medium tight back then.

Nice, I’m looking forward to skating the Purplesicle too. The Creature is fun but I could use a more concave and maybe steeper kicks. The Heroin seems to fit that bill. I’d like to try a 9+ popsicle made by South central to see how that feels. I got some 8.8/9’ square popsicles made by Pennswood in their deep concave a while back and those are fantastic

Ya I get some serious wheelbite with Aces on wheels over 53mm and especially wheels with a wider profile than a classic shape. I like Aces a lot though, apart from that issue, so I just use them on setups that see no city cruising action where I’d want big wheels. Parks, flatground stuff and smoother street.

The purp is so awesome. The short-ish wb for such a big popsicle, makes it feel really manageable and easy going. The 15” wb popsicles definitely take a little more effort to do things, but I like those just as much in certain situations.

I like way too many of these shapes it’s getting scary. I was hoping I’d weed out and sell the shapes I don’t like, but so far that was only the Villani egg. At least I learnt from all this that I don’t need a board under 8.75” wide anymore.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2568 on: December 09, 2020, 04:58:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ya I get some serious wheelbite with Aces on wheels over 53mm and especially wheels with a wider profile than a classic shape. I like Aces a lot though, apart from that issue, so I just use them on setups that see no city cruising action where I’d want big wheels. Parks, flatground stuff and smoother street.

The purp is so awesome. The short-ish wb for such a big popsicle, makes it feel really manageable and easy going. The 15” wb popsicles definitely take a little more effort to do things, but I like those just as much in certain situations.

I like way too many of these shapes it’s getting scary. I was hoping I’d weed out and sell the shapes I don’t like, but so far that was only the Villani egg. At least I learnt from all this that I don’t need a board under 8.75” wide anymore.

I gotcha, totally forgot that I use risers on pretty much all my trucks, so that makes sense.

Yeah, the short wheelbase is what sold me on that. I had an Antihero in 9.1 and the wheelbase was around 15’ or so which was too much for me. I hope to see more fat boy popsicles with short wb, would be cool to see some -32’ long ones too.

Haha the shapes have a grip on me too. I think I like the Eggs the best overall

TumKayo

« Reply #2569 on: December 09, 2020, 05:45:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I gotcha, totally forgot that I use risers on pretty much all my trucks, so that makes sense.

Yeah, the short wheelbase is what sold me on that. I had an Antihero in 9.1 and the wheelbase was around 15’ or so which was too much for me. I hope to see more fat boy popsicles with short wb, would be cool to see some -32’ long ones too.

Dude the 9.4 egg is amazing! I think I like it better than the 10” egg. You had an Eggxorcist deck right?

You ever skate a Krooked Beemer deck?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 05:53:40 PM by TumKayo »

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2570 on: December 09, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dude the 9.4 egg is amazing! I think I like it better than the 10” egg. You had an Eggxorcist deck right?

You ever skate a Krooked Beemer deck?

Yup! Eggxorcist was my favorite shaped deck for sure! Pretty much perfect.

Never tried the beemer, is that the long one with the indented bars on bottom? I know it’s totally opposite, but I think the Krooked Zip Zogger might be up in my top three favorite shaped decks as well. 9.4 egg, Zogger and Dane 1

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2571 on: December 10, 2020, 03:23:37 AM »
pulled the trigger on a mutant and some 215's, I can't remember the last time I was this excited to set a board up haha. I also want to try that DMODW 9.25 Popsicle before they sell out, I've skated the orange eagle and a couple santa cruz/creature 9" popsicles with the long wheelbases and liked them a lot so I imagine the DMODW board will be even better.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2572 on: December 10, 2020, 04:39:19 AM »
Speaking of.. deerman of dark woods

Work has been rough/long hours so I set this up last night but haven’t skated. It’s been 30° - 40° here already with snow on the ground and a mix of rain and snow next 4/5 days.

Heroin Call of the wild series
Deck Specs:
Width: 9.25"
Length: 32.5"
Wheelbase: 14.26" (actually measures 13.375”..perfectly between 14.25” and 14.5”)
Nose: 7.5"
Tail: 6.6"

Indy 169 ti, 97a bushings, 2 washers inside/1out
1/8” risers
Spitfire 55mm OG classics
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 06:06:33 AM by jay_nev »

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2573 on: December 10, 2020, 04:58:13 AM »
Speaking of.. dearman of dark woods

Work has been rough/long hours and I set this up as therapy last night but haven’t skated. It’s been 30° - 40° here already with snow on the ground and a mix of rain and snow next 4/5 days.

Deck Specs:
Wheelbase: 14.26" (actually measures 13.375”..perfectly between 14.25” and 14.5”)

1/8” risers

Nice, that’s almost exactly what my next set up is going to be like. Ti’s are great on those big set ups

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2574 on: December 10, 2020, 05:13:29 AM »
Here are some photos of my boards that I have skated the past 2-3 years and will skate in the future:

My current and future setup: The Mutant 10'. One of my favourite boards of alltime

Another great one: The Fixer Pig Tank 9.75. Fixer boards have some of the most appealing graphics and good wood. The Pig Tank has one of the best shapes ever.

Two Death 9.75s and 2 BlackLabel Lance Mountain 10 boards. Both pretty good but hard to get these days

My cruisers: A Ben Schroeder Reissue, a Gator Board I found in a Barn with Original Tracker Trucks and a Barrier Kult Pig

A welcome 9.75, a Witchcraft 9.0 and two blast 9.6s

I always rode Ace 66s on my boards and they fit them perfectly.

(Sorry for the big images)

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2575 on: December 10, 2020, 05:53:13 AM »
Expand Quote

Work has been rough/long hours and I set this up as therapy last night but haven’t skated. It’s been 30° - 40° here already with snow on the ground and a mix of rain and snow next 4/5 days.

Deck Specs:

1/8” risers
[close]
Nice, that’s almost exactly what my next set up is going to be like. Ti’s are great on those big set ups
yeah! Too much to try this winter. Got two set up’s I want to tinker with and dial in a few things. I wasn’t in love with the idea of setting up indy’s again but they’re the widest truck I have and figured the Ti would work well. And I’m liking and keeping the 55’s on my polar 9” with 14.5” wb.

This definitely “feels” like the biggest set up I’ve had with its fat/full nose and tail. Moreso than a Dane 1 at 9.75” for example which I also have. Excited to try this, pop feels like it’s going to be snappy already.

animalflesh

« Reply #2576 on: December 10, 2020, 06:05:55 AM »
Honestly since switching back I’ve been enjoying Indy’s a lot, especially my 169 Ti

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2577 on: December 10, 2020, 06:28:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Deck Specs:

1/8” risers
[close]
[close]
yeah! Too much to try this winter. Got two set up’s I want to tinker with and dial in a few things. I wasn’t in love with the idea of setting up indy’s again but they’re the widest truck I have and figured the Ti would work well. And I’m liking and keeping the 55’s on my polar 9” with 14.5” wb.

This definitely “feels” like the biggest set up I’ve had with its fat/full nose and tail. Moreso than a Dane 1 at 9.75” for example which I also have. Excited to try this, pop feels like it’s going to be snappy already.

I’m curious if it will feel similar size wise to the 10’ Gold egg. That and the Zip Zogger (much shorter, but 10.75 wide) feel like the biggest decks I’ve skated, but the Egg has the tapered nose/tail

Schinken

• Rep: 67
« Reply #2578 on: December 10, 2020, 08:18:32 AM »
Since some of you like shorter wheelbase:
I've drilled a second pair of holes in my baseplates so I can shorten the wheelbase by approx. 0.4" per truck.
Opened up a lot more options on decks.

TumKayo

« Reply #2579 on: December 10, 2020, 10:11:28 AM »
pulled the trigger on a mutant and some 215's, I can't remember the last time I was this excited to set a board up haha. I also want to try that DMODW 9.25 Popsicle before they sell out, I've skated the orange eagle and a couple santa cruz/creature 9" popsicles with the long wheelbases and liked them a lot so I imagine the DMODW board will be even better.

Nice! Mutant on 215s is so money. Don’t sleep on that 9.25 popsicle! I hope Heroin keeps making all these big boards, they’re all I want to skate.

@ProstateExam Mutant mounds! I wish I could get on that level. I love that shape too, probably the most comfortable under my feet.

@Jay_Nev DMODW looks so good with 169s! I hope to try the Ti version next year, see how much it effects pop.

@SundayNuggets Zogger sounds fun! I’m honestly a little afraid it’ll be too much of a cruiser, but it’s worth a shot next year if it comes back. The 9.25 Popsicle on 66s with small wheels is definitely less board than the 10” egg on 215s/169s with big wheels. I will swap around stuff over the holidays and test this theory too.