Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 541460 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #4950 on: September 04, 2022, 03:16:14 AM »
Just set up a heroin craig questions board , do bigger boards feel soggy ? Feels like this board doesn’t have much pop or is it the softer wheels ? Otherwise love da big board and short wheelbase.

My Heroin 9.75” symmetrical egg felt soggy. It’s the biggest board I’ve skated as a normal board with the heaviest trucks. Not sure if it was the size of the thing or if it was just soggy. I had hard wheels on it. I’ve had 9.25” boards with longer wheelbases and soft wheels not feel soggy at all so who knows. Heroin BBS so I wouldn’t expect them to be soggy but it is a possibility.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #4951 on: September 06, 2022, 09:15:40 AM »
Grabbed a 9.5 Black Label Jason Adams Curb Shark. Very stoked to get this out once my knee heals up.

Specs:
9.5"x32.75" with a 14.625" wheelbase. The deck is actually about 9" at the trucks so I threw some Indy 169s on.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 10:21:52 AM by WelcomeToHell »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #4952 on: September 06, 2022, 10:22:47 AM »
Just set up a heroin craig questions board , do bigger boards feel soggy ? Feels like this board doesn’t have much pop or is it the softer wheels ? Otherwise love da big board and short wheelbase.

Is it the shaped Craig Questions board?  I usually like Heroin decks (although I seem to chip them easily - not sure if it’s the razor edge or just coincidence) but for some reason that specific Craig Questions shaped deck just didn’t work for me and felt kind of clunky.  I think it was more that shape though - it’s wide without having that taper at the tail coffin-ish shape like a Dane 1 or a Krooked Sweatpants so the wideness of the tail messed with me popping tricks.  That’s the only Heroin deck that’s ever felt soggy in my experience.  In general I don’t think most big boards feel soggy or clunky.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 11:03:48 AM by big_kev_215 »

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #4953 on: September 06, 2022, 04:42:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is it the shaped Craig Questions board?  I usually like Heroin decks (although I seem to chip them easily - not sure if it’s the razor edge or just coincidence) but for some reason that specific Craig Questions shaped deck just didn’t work for me and felt kind of clunky.  I think it was more that shape though - it’s wide without having that taper at the tail coffin-ish shape like a Dane 1 or a Krooked Sweatpants so the wideness of the tail messed with me popping tricks.  That’s the only Heroin deck that’s ever felt soggy in my experience.  In general I don’t think most big boards feel soggy or clunky.

Yeah it’s the shaped 9.5, gonna use it mainly to ride around the neighborhood and some transition. I only set it up cuz I bought a flight deck complete with Indy hollows off someone and it also came with some nice big Indy Ti trucks and some Big g slides.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4954 on: September 06, 2022, 04:47:12 PM »
Grabbed a 9.5 Black Label Jason Adams Curb Shark. Very stoked to get this out once my knee heals up.

Specs:
9.5"x32.75" with a 14.625" wheelbase. The deck is actually about 9" at the trucks so I threw some Indy 169s on.

So good!

I had a couple of the other Adams boards (Six Gun re-release) but they tapered too much, so just didn't balance out.  In looking at that one, I was still hesitant, but it looks much more normal right through.

This is the second one of these on here which triggered my thought to question the width over bolts, which as you said is about 9.

Thanks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

bitflip

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4955 on: September 06, 2022, 11:21:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My Heroin 9.75” symmetrical egg felt soggy. It’s the biggest board I’ve skated as a normal board with the heaviest trucks. Not sure if it was the size of the thing or if it was just soggy. I had hard wheels on it. I’ve had 9.25” boards with longer wheelbases and soft wheels not feel soggy at all so who knows. Heroin BBS so I wouldn’t expect them to be soggy but it is a possibility.
The dimensions of your deck may make it feel soggy. A longer tail shrinks your pop angle in some cases, so you have to adapt to it, or compensate it with larger wheels or raisers. Most Heroin eggs have longer kicks, like 7", or even 7.25".

As for big boards feeling soggy, I never experienced that on Curb Crusher XL with 169 Indys and G-Bones, which is very big (10.25) and heavy. It works better for me than any other setup I tried before. I set it up and skated a couple of sessions in a mini-ramp before taking it to the streets. Then I ollied up 3 stairs on it first try and did a proper no-comply up the same 3 stairs. The pop felt insanely strong, and these tricks were really hard for me when I skated Polar Dane 1 with much smaller wheels.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 12:07:34 AM by bitflip »

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #4956 on: September 07, 2022, 10:35:20 AM »
Expand Quote

Specs:

[close]

So good!

I had a couple of the other Adams boards (Six Gun re-release) but they tapered too much, so just didn't balance out.  In looking at that one, I was still hesitant, but it looks much more normal right through.

This is the second one of these on here which triggered my thought to question the width over bolts, which as you said is about 9.

Thanks.

Yeah, it's not a severe taper from bolts to bolts. About a half-inch difference on each end compared to the center of the board. Haven't had a chance to ride it, but I'd imagine is feels more like a 9" board than a 9.5".

My only concern is killing myself or someone else with that nose!

goldfishboot

• Rep: 146
« Reply #4957 on: September 09, 2022, 02:09:18 PM »

Scram 10.5
15" wb

trucks, wheels, etc the same as the Powell Frankie Hill setup I posted a while back.
embracing the longer wheelbase since I learned the ace 66 classics shorten it up a lot compared to other trucks I like to ride

really stoked on the tailblock divot (maybe itll help me learn them on things taller than 3ft? scary to slip)
and stoked on Scram in general. gonna listen to a bunch of Nausea and dub reggae and channel my inner crustie

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4958 on: September 09, 2022, 06:12:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Specs:

[close]

So good!

Thanks.
[close]

Yeah, it's not a severe taper from bolts to bolts. About a half-inch difference on each end compared to the center of the board. Haven't had a chance to ride it, but I'd imagine is feels more like a 9" board than a 9.5".

Punk points used to be a little more prone to chipping up if the board ran into something, but overall they still held up well and didn't kill anyone or anything while I had them.

I forget which brand but there was a super pointy board from someone else a while back that was a bit more of a weapon, maybe Assault Skateboards or something similar and that thing was dangerous.

Funny how quickly some people moved out of the way of that thing when it was hauling ass round a busy park.

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 167
« Reply #4959 on: September 09, 2022, 08:39:05 PM »

Scram 10.5
15" wb

trucks, wheels, etc the same as the Powell Frankie Hill setup I posted a while back.
embracing the longer wheelbase since I learned the ace 66 classics shorten it up a lot compared to other trucks I like to ride

really stoked on the tailblock divot (maybe itll help me learn them on things taller than 3ft? scary to slip)
and stoked on Scram in general. gonna listen to a bunch of Nausea and dub reggae and channel my inner crustie

That looks so sick set up.  One of those shapes that need trucks and wheels and grip to be fully appreciated

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #4960 on: September 09, 2022, 10:35:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Specs:

[close]

So good!

Thanks.
[close]

[close]

Punk points used to be a little more prone to chipping up if the board ran into something, but overall they still held up well and didn't kill anyone or anything while I had them.

I forget which brand but there was a super pointy board from someone else a while back that was a bit more of a weapon, maybe Assault Skateboards or something similar and that thing was dangerous.

Funny how quickly some people moved out of the way of that thing when it was hauling ass round a busy park.
Yeah you’re right. It was an Assault deck. Ricky Winsor to be exact. Had a few of them and they were great to teach people not to snake you in bowls. Get 1 warning then speared. The only drawback was those had like a 15.5 wb.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #4961 on: September 09, 2022, 10:36:55 PM »

Scram 10.5
15" wb

Sweet set up and glad to see a Hyun on here.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4962 on: September 10, 2022, 05:58:37 AM »

Roisto question in the Woodshop thread about Blast made me check and this is the most recent post, which looks quite nice.

They are now through Quarter Dist for wood and everything, so should get a bit more coverage too.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #4963 on: September 10, 2022, 08:53:46 AM »

Roisto question in the Woodshop thread about Blast made me check and this is the most recent post, which looks quite nice.

They are now through Quarter Dist for wood and everything, so should get a bit more coverage too.

side note - this board is emitting dangerous levels of stoke

djoekr

• Rep: 300
« Reply #4964 on: September 10, 2022, 09:17:08 AM »
Damn, Blast's art direction is so sick. Anyone know about any shops that carry their product in Europe outside of the UK? I'm not paying 35 euros in shipping and import fees to get a single deck from their own site. Route One has tax free shipping, but they currently don't carry much Blast stuff.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4965 on: September 10, 2022, 11:42:26 AM »
Damn, Blast's art direction is so sick. Anyone know about any shops that carry their product in Europe outside of the UK? I'm not paying 35 euros in shipping and import fees to get a single deck from their own site. Route One has tax free shipping, but they currently don't carry much Blast stuff.

https://www.concretewave.de/Blast-Skates-Curb-Club-shaped-green-deck-925_1
https://www.feedmysoul.de/skate/skateboard/decks/9279/blast-skates-skateboard-deck-curb-club-shaped-9.25
https://blackheavenshop.com/Curb-Club-Shaped-Deck-925

Found those with a quick search. Can vouch especially for Black Heaven. Great shop. I’ve ordered something from Concrete Wave too and had no issues. Feed My Soul I have no experience with. I’d be also interested in hearing about more places in EU which sell Blast. I also love the art direction.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4966 on: September 10, 2022, 01:09:18 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

side note - this board is emitting dangerous levels of stoke

Definitely is.
I hope they put out more of these.
Thing looks mean.

djoekr

« Reply #4967 on: September 10, 2022, 04:20:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.feedmysoul.de/skate/skateboard/decks/9279/blast-skates-skateboard-deck-curb-club-shaped-9.25

Found those with a quick search. Can vouch especially for Black Heaven. Great shop. I’ve ordered something from Concrete Wave too and had no issues. Feed My Soul I have no experience with. I’d be also interested in hearing about more places in EU which sell Blast. I also love the art direction.

Thanks for the link! For some reason German shops never turn up in my Google searches, same thing happens when looking for Heroin decks in Europe.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4968 on: September 10, 2022, 07:52:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for those links.

I was curious about the size of that board, besides the quoted 9.25 width, but the funny thing is all three sites have different measurements.

Guessing it is on the shorter side if it has a shorter wheelbase, 14.1 to 14.25 listed, with one having length at 32+ (maybe measured with concave) and the other having 31.5 which adds up better with the wheelbase and the shorter kicks.

Black Heaven

9.25": 6.8” Tail - 14.13” Wheelbase - 6.4” Nose

Feed My Soul

9.25" x 32.125"

Concrete Wave

9.25 x 31.5 with 14.25 wb

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #4969 on: September 13, 2022, 10:32:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for those links.

I was curious about the size of that board, besides the quoted 9.25 width, but the funny thing is all three sites have different measurements.

Guessing it is on the shorter side if it has a shorter wheelbase, 14.1 to 14.25 listed, with one having length at 32+ (maybe measured with concave) and the other having 31.5 which adds up better with the wheelbase and the shorter kicks.

Black Heaven

Feed My Soul

9.25" x 32.125"

Concrete Wave

skatetilldeath in belgium also carries them.
https://www.skatetilldeath.com/en/brand/71-blast

i love that curb board. shape looks so fun, the graphic and colors are great. but im scared to go below 9.5, i really hate hotrodding. if anyone gets it can measure above the trucks it be great, but i t looks under 9"s.

@djoekr
i have the same problem. in general wheneven i search any specific item i allways only get US and UK shops on google. really annoying.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4970 on: September 13, 2022, 11:48:18 AM »

@djoekr
i have the same problem. in general wheneven i search any specific item i allways only get US and UK shops on google. really annoying.

It was the same for me until recently. For some reason I’ve been getting more German shops in my results lately. Is it because I’ve been visiting Germany a bunch or because I’ve been specifically seeking out German skate shops or because I’m taking German lessons at work or because I’ve been listening to some mad German après-ski music, I do not know but it is a welcome change as ordering anything from the US or UK to Finland isn’t really cost effective. Also it’s nice to order from actual skate shops and not from some big ass chains with huge online stores.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -88
« Reply #4971 on: September 13, 2022, 12:05:17 PM »
Probably already mentioned here, but the Grosso shaped board is great. Long WB, flips well, mad stable.

djoekr

« Reply #4972 on: September 13, 2022, 02:54:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks for those links.

Black Heaven

Feed My Soul

9.25" x 32.125"

Concrete Wave

[close]

skatetilldeath in belgium also carries them.
https://www.skatetilldeath.com/en/brand/71-blast

i love that curb board. shape looks so fun, the graphic and colors are great. but im scared to go below 9.5, i really hate hotrodding. if anyone gets it can measure above the trucks it be great, but i t looks under 9"s.

@djoekr

Might be a Dutch problem then. I'm in the same boat about the Blast deck, it looks great, but I've been riding my Heroin Mutant a lot lately and got another one on ice so I'm not looking forward to sizing down again. I still got a Huffer and a Zane 9" if I wanna go down too so Imma have to skip this one.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

pops

• Rep: 241
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4973 on: September 14, 2022, 09:01:50 AM »
I gave my 9.25 Couch shape another chance. Previously it felt really short but now I actually think it's my favorite board in a while. Anyone ridden it with sub 9" trucks?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #4974 on: September 14, 2022, 10:35:05 AM »
I gave my 9.25 Couch shape another chance. Previously it felt really short but now I actually think it's my favorite board in a while. Anyone ridden it with sub 9" trucks?
Is that the shape they used to sell as the big cruiser complete? If so yes I've skated it with 149 Indy and thunders. It works but I already prefer trucks a bit smaller than deck

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #4975 on: September 14, 2022, 12:43:33 PM »

Yes, works great with Indy 159s.

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #4976 on: September 14, 2022, 02:31:49 PM »
Joined the big boys w/ this new setup

Creature Winkowski Guest deck - 10.38 x 30.54
215 Indys
58mm Spitfire 80hd
Reds

I'm pushing 40 and only ever skated popsicle shapes, but this thing is so much fun. Love the 80hd wheels too. I stick mainly to park and miniramp these days so they are perfect. Got a pair for my 8.6 setup too. 

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #4977 on: September 14, 2022, 02:39:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, works great with Indy 159s.

Agreed.  Rode the Couch with 169s and 159s. Felt better and more surfy on the 159s. 

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4978 on: September 14, 2022, 02:54:22 PM »
Expand Quote

@djoekr
[close]

It was the same for me until recently. For some reason I’ve been getting more German shops in my results lately. Is it because I’ve been visiting Germany a bunch or because I’ve been specifically seeking out German skate shops or because I’m taking German lessons at work or because I’ve been listening to some mad German après-ski music, I do not know but it is a welcome change as ordering anything from the US or UK to Finland isn’t really cost effective. Also it’s nice to order from actual skate shops and not from some big ass chains with huge online stores.

Please don't listen to German après-ski music.
It starts with that and in the end you are a solarium tanned coke addict with neon colored clothes and no teeth. Shit ain't good for you mate.

A few German skate shops you can support if you like.

https://no-comply.de/

https://mantisshop.de/

https://www.bretterbude-potsdam.de/

https://www.soohotrightnow.com/

https://www.sprouters.de/
IG: @flowterspace

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4979 on: September 14, 2022, 07:39:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

@djoekr
[close]

[close]

Please don't listen to German après-ski music.
It starts with that and in the end you are a solarium tanned coke addict with neon colored clothes and no teeth. Shit ain't good for you mate.

A few German skate shops you can support if you like.

https://no-comply.de/

https://mantisshop.de/

https://www.bretterbude-potsdam.de/

https://www.soohotrightnow.com/

https://www.sprouters.de/

Thank you for the advice mate! Unfortunately it’s too late for me now. A few trips to the Austrian alps and a few too many schnapps at the après-ski is all it took. That stuff is so bad it’s actually good!