Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 534097 times)

Sk8 Hawaii and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

oliknight

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5130 on: November 27, 2022, 06:25:52 AM »

Wanted this setup for ages, chuffed to finally have it!

Zogger
Ace77
Spitfire 55

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #5131 on: November 28, 2022, 03:01:16 AM »

Wanted this setup for ages, chuffed to finally have it!

Zogger
Ace77
Spitfire 55

i need a set

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5132 on: November 28, 2022, 04:38:16 PM »
Board crisis mode engaged

Polar 1991 shape 9.25
Indy hollow 159 forged baseplate
Spitfire f4 55 og classic 99a
Quantum fusion bearings
Rad railz
Pepper grip
Roughneck 1” Allen hardware
Crushed sb dunks

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 254
« Reply #5133 on: November 28, 2022, 05:29:49 PM »

Polar 1991 shape 9.25
Quantum fusion bearings
Rad railz
Pepper grip
Crushed sb dunks

DC! Love those Crushed dunks.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5134 on: November 28, 2022, 05:50:49 PM »
Me too, great color and shop.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5135 on: November 28, 2022, 08:08:57 PM »

Polar 1991 shape 9.25
Quantum fusion bearings
Rad railz
Pepper grip
Crushed sb dunks

how are the fusions? i cant justify spending big on bearings
but wonder if there is an immediate feel of upgrade over isotopes
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5136 on: November 28, 2022, 09:00:16 PM »
I’ve skated them all, these are noticeably faster, acceleration is intensified especially on transition skating.
I feel you on price, but sometimes you gotta treat yourself.

OneMassiveCalf

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5137 on: November 29, 2022, 02:02:53 PM »
First post, but I’ve gotta say—reading through this thread has been super educational. I didn’t know squat about wheelbase or truck geometry or anything, so thanks to everyone posting their knowledge.

I just bought a Dead Dave 10.1” (it’s coming in the mail) and I have a question about trucks n wheels. The DD appears to be pretty wide down the whole length, rather than tapered or fishy shaped, but I’m hoping can still make my Indy 169s work with the right wheels. Do you think 169s w the fat-ass Powell dragons will be sufficient? Thanks OMC

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5138 on: November 29, 2022, 04:24:38 PM »
First post, but I’ve gotta say—reading through this thread has been super educational. I didn’t know squat about wheelbase or truck geometry or anything, so thanks to everyone posting their knowledge.

I just bought a Dead Dave 10.1” (it’s coming in the mail) and I have a question about trucks n wheels. The DD appears to be pretty wide down the whole length, rather than tapered or fishy shaped, but I’m hoping can still make my Indy 169s work with the right wheels. Do you think 169s w the fat-ass Powell dragons will be sufficient? Thanks OMC

Most people prefer to have a bit more deck to truck and wheel on their setups so that should run well enough.

Washers on the inside of the truck axles also push the wheels out a touch more too, up to three fit well enough on most trucks.

If you do skate it and feel like it is sitting under a little too much, there are other wheels that are asymmetric in shape and sit out further from the truck axles, including some Bones / Powell wheels, OJ / Santa Cruz wheels and a few other brands.

I have a few 10" boards and 169 is about the widest I like to go, some with Rat Bones, others with Slimeballs, some with just normal profile wider wheels and they all work fine.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5139 on: November 29, 2022, 07:30:49 PM »
The ACE 77 would fit nicely as well and not be too gigantic.
215’s are fun but limiting.
The 169’s will sit in a bit but be fine.

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #5140 on: November 29, 2022, 08:17:10 PM »

Ace Classic 66s would work as well.

I have a Natas 10" board with 215s and I agree they're limiting. Love them as trucks for using it as a cruiser, but for skating in a pool, sizing down to 169's felt best.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5141 on: November 29, 2022, 08:17:43 PM »

I have a Dead Dave on Ace 77s right now but ran 169s on it before. Depending on which dragons you get they shouldn't magic carpet too bad especially if you run a few washers inside. I was thinking about getting some of the dragon formula rat bones to replace my cruiser wheels, I think those plus 3 washers inside would work great for your DD 169 setup.

OneMassiveCalf

« Reply #5142 on: November 29, 2022, 08:55:29 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. It's good to know the 169s will likely do the trick, since trucks are the one thing I don't like buying new.

The Dragons I'm looking at are the "V6" shape, which look pretty wide.

@minilogoflow, I have some old formula Rat Bones and just measured them...they extend 4-5mm beyond the axle bolts.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5143 on: November 30, 2022, 12:34:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace Classic 66s would work as well.

I have a Natas 10" board with 215s and I agree they're limiting. Love them as trucks for using it as a cruiser, but for skating in a pool, sizing down to 169's felt best.

The DD board is my favourite shape. I have ridden up to 20 of them in the last 2.5 years and I always had the ace classic 66s on it. Simply perfect for the board

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5144 on: November 30, 2022, 03:03:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a Dead Dave on Ace 77s right now but ran 169s on it before. Depending on which dragons you get they shouldn't magic carpet too bad especially if you run a few washers inside. I was thinking about getting some of the dragon formula rat bones to replace my cruiser wheels, I think those plus 3 washers inside would work great for your DD 169 setup.

Mutant with Ace 77s and Spitfire Full Conicals is what I've been skating for the last 6 months or so and I'm absolutely loving it. The 9.5 axle is perfect for big boards and I can still pop/flip my board just fine.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #5145 on: November 30, 2022, 10:13:59 AM »
Thanks for the advice, guys. It's good to know the 169s will likely do the trick, since trucks are the one thing I don't like buying new.

The Dragons I'm looking at are the "V6" shape, which look pretty wide.

@minilogoflow, I have some old formula Rat Bones and just measured them...they extend 4-5mm beyond the axle bolts.

i swear by the mutant shape with 169's. the perfect setup to me. and if you already have those and are used to them. the least you can do is try that before anything else.

OneMassiveCalf

« Reply #5146 on: November 30, 2022, 11:58:17 AM »

i swear by the mutant shape with 169's. the perfect setup to me. and if you already have those and are used to them. the least you can do is try that before anything else.

Oh heck yeah. Im ok with a bit of magic carpet, too, if it comes to that. What wheels are working for you?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1277
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5147 on: November 30, 2022, 12:38:41 PM »
Using this tool: https://eleif.net/photomeasure along with the top down image of the deck on the Skatewarehouse site, I am getting 9.60 over the back trucks on the Dead Dave shape. Either 77s or 169s would work with some carpeting and 215s would hot rod a decent amount. I got 9.85 over the front trucks for a frame of reference.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #5148 on: November 30, 2022, 01:23:00 PM »
Using this tool: https://eleif.net/photomeasure along with the top down image of the deck on the Skatewarehouse site, I am getting 9.60 over the back trucks on the Dead Dave shape. Either 77s or 169s would work with some carpeting and 215s would hot rod a decent amount. I got 9.85 over the front trucks for a frame of reference.

measured mine in centimeters and it translated to 9.56 at the back truck, and spot on 9.85 at the front. thats some witchery you doing there.

@OneMassiveCalf
i'm riding Spitfire OG Classics, kinda wide. but thinking of just switching to Classics since all i do are slappys so wanny try a rounder wheel.
i'm not worried about the wideness of the wheels, i found i like magic carpets. kinda freaks me out when i see too much front wheel.

old pic but too dark to take a new one out here.

OneMassiveCalf

« Reply #5149 on: November 30, 2022, 04:50:00 PM »

OneMassiveCalf

« Reply #5150 on: November 30, 2022, 04:53:33 PM »
@OneMassiveCalf
i'm riding Spitfire OG Classics, kinda wide. but thinking of just switching to Classics since all i do are slappys so wanny try a rounder wheel.
i'm not worried about the wideness of the wheels, i found i like magic carpets. kinda freaks me out when i see too much front wheel.

Thanks for the pic! That truck/board ratio looks perfect for me.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5151 on: December 01, 2022, 05:00:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

measured mine in centimeters and it translated to 9.56 at the back truck, and spot on 9.85 at the front. thats some witchery you doing there.

@OneMassiveCalf

Oh shit, you're riding that thing with the short wheelbase or is the new one not double drilled?
If so, the nose must be huge

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #5152 on: December 01, 2022, 05:38:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

@OneMassiveCalf

[close]

Oh shit, you're riding that thing with the short wheelbase or is the new one not double drilled?

Only the French and Dead Toons Mutants are double drilled. I'm riding the French deck right now, and I didn't wanna go for the small wb as the nose is already huge on the long wb.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5153 on: December 01, 2022, 07:21:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

@OneMassiveCalf

[close]

[close]

Only the French and Dead Toons Mutants are double drilled. I'm riding the French deck right now, and I didn't wanna go for the small wb as the nose is already huge on the long wb.

I’m beating myself not getting the Dead Dave TV casualty as my cruiser deck. Got the Curb Crusher instead and while it’s fun, the small nose does throw me off. For some reason I also get ghost pop quite often popping from the tail. Not sure how the Dave shape would compare but it looks nice.

animalflesh

« Reply #5154 on: December 01, 2022, 07:24:15 AM »
I feel like the trucks look small but it seems like a lot of people ride it like that

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #5155 on: December 06, 2022, 06:47:08 PM »
If anyones interested, Black Market has a bunch of Scram decks from $40-$50 for some of the 9-10.25” & some smaller popsicles as well, if that’s your thing.
https://www.blackmarketskates.com/search/Scram/

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #5156 on: December 13, 2022, 08:08:54 AM »
speaking of scram... I finally burnt through my rocket 88 (the blue one) and set up a new Fink II. loving the shape, having a usable nose again is great, and the 14.5 wb makes me feel very zoomy compared the the 15 on the rocket. 10" by 31 inches long

pictured with ace 66 classics
58mm spit classics
super reds
3/8" risers cut from another board (made by a friend)
1.5" randoms
jessup

However this fucker was WAY too damn tall for me to skate comfortably so I took off the risers, put on some 56mm formula four classics and some old 1" indy bolts I found and my first session was a great one. those risers are gonna go on my zogger for beer runs. sure looked cool though

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5157 on: December 14, 2022, 12:51:43 AM »
speaking of scram... I finally burnt through my rocket 88 (the blue one) and set up a new Fink II. loving the shape, having a usable nose again is great, and the 14.5 wb makes me feel very zoomy compared the the 15 on the rocket. 10" by 31 inches long

58mm spit classics
super reds
1.5" randoms
jessup

However this fucker was WAY too damn tall for me to skate comfortably so I took off the risers, put on some 56mm formula four classics and some old 1" indy bolts I found and my first session was a great one. those risers are gonna go on my zogger for beer runs. sure looked cool though

How in the world do you end up with such a groove in the middle of the truck?
I skate mostly transition and I have a significant groove on the heelside of my back truck and toeside of my front truck.
But the middle of the truck is barely getting any scratches.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #5158 on: December 14, 2022, 07:28:50 AM »
Expand Quote

58mm spit classics
super reds
1.5" randoms
jessup

[close]

I skate mostly transition and I have a significant groove on the heelside of my back truck and toeside of my front truck.

This setup looks dangerous but mad fun. I assume these are grooves from slappy 50-50s since my trucks looked similar before.
IG: @flowterspace

goldfishboot

• Rep: 144
« Reply #5159 on: December 14, 2022, 02:31:16 PM »

I've probably done upwards of 1000 slash grinds on concrete coping with these trucks in the last couple years. Very smeary! I don't skate curbs with this board at all really, just pools and other transition. I ground to the axle just heelside of the center since I've got a heavy frontside preference. Still going strong :)

I do stand up grinds where I lock into the edges of the truck too but still the middle gets more play than anything else