Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 537092 times)

144p

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5250 on: January 23, 2023, 07:12:30 AM »
Expand Quote
So I’ve been skating the AH Orange eagle 9”, mostly because of how highly it’s been recommended. I love it. It’s like they took a small board and just made it super big. Lengthwise it’s a boat tho.

I also got it to start trying different Woodshops, to kind of broaden my horizon, and narrow the field in regards to future boards.
Mine didn’t have a Roman numeral, but I thought all BBS DLX boards did? It did have the “Skat within your abilities, made in Mexico”-sticker. I’m in Europe if that matters.

Yellow top and blue bottom plies, getting prettier and prettier with wear.
[close]

Around 95% of my decks are BBS, and only a couple had the roman numeral pressed into the top ply.

This board is a 1, hence the line.
BBS stamps every board, if it appears it isn’t it might be under the sticker.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #5251 on: January 23, 2023, 07:39:06 AM »
So apparently the Krooked 9.81 is not the Sweatpants shape but actually the Guerrero Dub shape. Any body have any info on that? I figured maybe it was an old Tommy shape resurrected many years later but I got nothing back on a web search.

I'm interested in an info on this shape as well.

djoekr

• Rep: 293
« Reply #5252 on: January 23, 2023, 07:49:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So I’ve been skating the AH Orange eagle 9”, mostly because of how highly it’s been recommended. I love it. It’s like they took a small board and just made it super big. Lengthwise it’s a boat tho.

I also got it to start trying different Woodshops, to kind of broaden my horizon, and narrow the field in regards to future boards.
Mine didn’t have a Roman numeral, but I thought all BBS DLX boards did? It did have the “Skat within your abilities, made in Mexico”-sticker. I’m in Europe if that matters.

[close]

Around 95% of my decks are BBS, and only a couple had the roman numeral pressed into the top ply.
[close]

I haven't got any ungripped decks laying around but I'm sure most of them weren't marked. I always remove the sticker, and most of them just have the small dimple underneath.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5253 on: January 23, 2023, 08:50:21 AM »
Am seriously thinking about getting an Antihero 9" deck, am currently riding an 8.6 but as I get older and am mainly skating curbs it seems to make sense.

I've had a few over the past few years and they've been great other than the 33" length, which prevents me from fully enjoying them. If you're not opposed to a 15" wheelbase it's worth giving one a shot (I don't really skate curbs so I'm not sure how the wheelbase would impact your decision haha)
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

PolarJames

• Rep: 6
« Reply #5254 on: January 23, 2023, 09:41:40 AM »
Thanks, yeah I'll give it a shot. At worst if I don't get on with it can turn it into a cruiser board.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #5255 on: January 23, 2023, 10:00:40 AM »
Am seriously thinking about getting an Antihero 9" deck, am currently riding an 8.6 but as I get older and am mainly skating curbs it seems to make sense.
No joke, I just went from an 8,6” Creature Russell VX to the AH 9” Orange Eagle. I wanted more wheelbase, 169 trucks and a longer mellower tail. Board is giving me all I want.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5256 on: January 23, 2023, 10:09:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I haven't got any ungripped decks laying around but I'm sure most of them weren't marked. I always remove the sticker, and most of them just have the small dimple underneath.
At My shop every single deck, even price points have the number stamp. It might be shallow/light but guaranteed it’s there. 
Sorry to be that guy but I haven’t seen one not marked in years.

Creachteach

« Reply #5257 on: January 23, 2023, 10:18:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

That’s interesting, one guy says 95% doesn’t have it and another says the opposite.
It’s already been gripped and ridden, but I’m 100%
There wasn’t anything below the sticker.
The slight line between the truck bolt holes I’m pretty sure is just wood grain.

sbr

« Reply #5258 on: January 23, 2023, 10:26:11 AM »
Thanks, yeah I'll give it a shot. At worst if I don't get on with it can turn it into a cruiser board.

If you're not against shapes, I'd say check out the Krooked 9.81" as well. A friend of mine has been religiously riding that shape for a while now (mostly on bowls & some curbs) and loves it. You still get the added stability of the bigger board, but it's a more universally usable 14.38" wb.

I've been bopping around with board specs prior to locking in the specs for the sample board I'm having made and I personally love 15"+ wheelbases for ramps larger than 8' tall, but feel like it's a little bit too kludgy for everything else. I found 14.25"-14.38" is my sweet spot for what I feel is more of a "swiss army knife" if you're not looking to be a quiver guy, but that's 100% subjective opinion haha
Small man, big board...

djoekr

« Reply #5259 on: January 23, 2023, 03:16:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That’s interesting, one guy says 95% doesn’t have it and another says the opposite.
It’s already been gripped and ridden, but I’m 100%
There wasn’t anything below the sticker.
The slight line between the truck bolt holes I’m pretty sure is just wood grain.

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I'm based in Europe. I think I've had 3 decks that were marked with a number out of approximately 15 decks.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5260 on: January 23, 2023, 04:22:00 PM »
I work in a shop in the us. I look at every deck we receive and they definitely all have it. This is a price point skate shop day deck I had at home for reference. Not sure if the boards in Europe are pressed elsewhere.

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5261 on: January 23, 2023, 04:29:46 PM »
Also, only dlx decks have the Roman numeral,
Not all bbs decks.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5262 on: January 23, 2023, 05:24:57 PM »
Expand Quote
So apparently the Krooked 9.81 is not the Sweatpants shape but actually the Guerrero Dub shape. Any body have any info on that? I figured maybe it was an old Tommy shape resurrected many years later but I got nothing back on a web search.
[close]

I'm interested in an info on this shape as well.

I have one of these still, along with a few Sweatpants decks and yes they are the same size, shape, etc.

Real Guerrero Butterknife deck

https://skateparkoftampa.com/product/72420/Real_Tommy_Guerrero_Hot_Butter_Knife_Deck

Also seen here:

https://www.surfstitch.com/real-tg-butterknife-9-75-inch-deck-multi.html

This was the best stock pic of all, showing shape and everything - the actual board I have, as they only had the one in stock.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5263 on: January 23, 2023, 05:53:26 PM »
Thanks Brimmo! I found a Tommy Guerrero FB post from early 2016 about the pink Hot Butterknife board where it was listed as 9.3 x 33. DLX stays weird with their measurements. Is that about when the shape was first introduced? I looked through what was posted on artofskateboarding and there just wasn't much there for TG's early Real board output. Essentially, I'm trying to figure out if it's a new(er) shape or one they pulled out of the archives. The shape is pretty similar to the Blind Skull and Banana which was similar to most of Mark's Blind shapes so I thought that might be the jump off. Now that I know it was out at least a year before the S&B reissue I'm less inclined to think they are related at all.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5264 on: January 23, 2023, 07:05:30 PM »
Thanks Brimmo! I found a Tommy Guerrero FB post from early 2016 about the pink Hot Butterknife board where it was listed as 9.3 x 33. DLX stays weird with their measurements. Is that about when the shape was first introduced? I looked through what was posted on artofskateboarding and there just wasn't much there for TG's early Real board output. Essentially, I'm trying to figure out if it's a new(er) shape or one they pulled out of the archives. The shape is pretty similar to the Blind Skull and Banana which was similar to most of Mark's Blind shapes so I thought that might be the jump off. Now that I know it was out at least a year before the S&B reissue I'm less inclined to think they are related at all.

Got more info, but the pink one was more the other Krooked big board shape that has been used again recently, so this one is way more square and the pink one way more rounded and a lot longer.

I can't recall exactly when they first came out, but I also have the popsicle, 8.38 FULL (not SE) of the same graphic that came out later too.

First issue of that graphic may be 2015, then with the pink one, then this one a year later.

Good pics of the pink one here:

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/real-skateboards-tommy-guerrero-hot-butterknife-xl-skateboard-deck-9-3-p28005

Dimensions here:

https://www.conflictskates.co.uk/real-hot-butterknife-xl-skateboard-deck-9375-x-33-tommy-guerrero-old-skool-pool-hot-pink--griptape-17488-p.asp

9.375" x 33"
Deep Concave
7.25" nose
7.0" tail
15" WB (measured from inner to inner holes)
New hole pattern truck drillings
Width over front truck : 9.125"
Width over rear truck : 8.75"

Edit:

http://www.caughtinthecrossfire.com/skate/product-reviews/tommy-guerrero-real-decks/

April 15, 2016

From the DLX catalog

https://www.realskateboards.com/spring-16-catalog/

« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 07:18:15 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5265 on: January 23, 2023, 07:23:29 PM »

Then this one here, next catalog actually so I wasn't far off.

The only board over 8.5 in both catalogs, which is why it was so memorable to me anyway.

So many boards being put out back then too!

https://www.realskateboards.com/summer-16-catalog/

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #5266 on: January 23, 2023, 07:26:52 PM »
Not all bbs decks.

that's been my exprience. i've only been messing with dlx, polar and scram and all the dlx's get the stamp.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #5267 on: January 23, 2023, 07:29:36 PM »

Then this one here, next catalog actually so I wasn't far off.

The only board over 8.5 in both catalogs, which is why it was so memorable to me anyway.

So many boards being put out back then too!

https://www.realskateboards.com/summer-16-catalog/

The pink version is from Spring 16 so I guess they carried the graphic over on to a different shape for the next season. Appreciate your help!
http://www.realskateboards.com/spring-16-catalog/
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Creachteach

« Reply #5268 on: January 23, 2023, 11:26:58 PM »
Not all bbs decks.

Yeh, but last I checked Anti Hero were definitely a DLX brand.

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I'm based in Europe. I think I've had 3 decks that were marked with a number out of approximately 15 decks.

This is what I think too. Or maybe we only get the I’s and they’re harder to see.

I wish online shopping permitted selection of different presses, cause then I could add a new level of madness, now that I’m pretty much over truck, wheel and bearings/spacer madness.

djoekr

« Reply #5269 on: January 24, 2023, 04:05:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Not all bbs decks.
[close]

that's been my exprience. i've only been messing with dlx, polar and scram and all the dlx's get the stamp.

Ah shit of course, confused BBS for DLX. The Anti Hero/Krooked decks I got did have a stamp, the Heroin and Polar decks didn't. (Although the latest Heroin deck did have the width pressed into the top ply.)
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5270 on: January 24, 2023, 04:19:30 AM »

The pink version is from Spring 16 so I guess they carried the graphic over on to a different shape for the next season. Appreciate your help!
http://www.realskateboards.com/spring-16-catalog/

There is an interesting one back on page 25 or so, link here, which looks like a mash up of black graphic on a different shape, but could be someone has cut one down or something too.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg3206114#msg3206114

The crazy thing is I think I have had maybe about half a dozen Gonz boards (or at least wacky DLX boards) with what seems like one off or weird shapes, that I haven't seen before or again, so I am thinking I might have to do some more looking - both at the DLX barcode stickers on them, or for the ones that are skated, some key words usually mis spelled or otherwise difficult to look up, eg this one

Krooked Gonz Effishant deck that funnily enough comes up as Gonz Elephant deck on ebay cause someone couldn't read the bad spelling.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195134669449

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/gonz-effishant-cruiser-skateboard-deck-9-8-p43817

Effishant Deck
9.8'' x 33.5''
16'' WB

* That is not even touching on the Beamer / Beemer series / type of decks either, only the regular plain old seven ply boards, no cut outs or extra stuff.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 04:27:15 AM by Mbrimson88 »

sbr

« Reply #5271 on: January 24, 2023, 04:53:58 AM »
The crazy thing is I think I have had maybe about half a dozen Gonz boards (or at least wacky DLX boards) with what seems like one off or weird shapes, that I haven't seen before or again, so I am thinking I might have to do some more looking - both at the DLX barcode stickers on them, or for the ones that are skated, some key words usually mis spelled or otherwise difficult to look up, eg this one

Krooked Gonz Effishant deck that funnily enough comes up as Gonz Elephant deck on ebay cause someone couldn't read the bad spelling.

https://www.nativeskatestore.co.uk/skateboards-c7/skateboard-decks-c23/gonz-effishant-cruiser-skateboard-deck-9-8-p43817

Effishant Deck
9.8'' x 33.5''
16'' WB

* That is not even touching on the Beamer / Beemer series / type of decks either, only the regular plain old seven ply boards, no cut outs or extra stuff.

If memory serves me correctly, the Effishant was basically a Tyshawn Baby Beemer as far as specs/shape goes without the Beemer mold or routered out wheel wells/weight relief spots. I had one of the Baby Beemers years back and had the Bird Beemer, and while they were super fun to skate, I never quite got over how bizarre the center recess feels.

Small man, big board...

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #5272 on: January 24, 2023, 06:51:54 AM »

Milk 9.0 (BBS AH orange eagle shape with 15' WB)
Aces 55 with indy hard bushings

First 9' ever, after two years riding 8.5s i decided to make the change. Feels super surfy and stable on big transitions, airs still feels great. Being 5'7 and 110 pounds makes this setup feels like I'm riding a rocket, but having and ungodly amount of legs helps a lot.

:p

144p

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5273 on: January 24, 2023, 07:32:03 AM »

The crazy thing is I think I have had maybe about half a dozen Gonz boards (or at least wacky DLX boards) with what seems like one off or weird shapes, that I haven't seen before or again, so I am thinking I might have to do some more looking
Back then the person they had doing shapes was all about long wb and lengths plus short tails usually(I think tg equated a quicker snap to a shorter length) so the dlx shapes of that era usually followed that logic. I skated this one Krooked board for a year, back when shaped boards were less than a novelty. I still have one because I loved it so much.
Found an old Photobucket upload of it too
[img] https://i.imgur.com/vLfLy8Y.jpg[\img]
[img] https://i.imgur.com/j1bgeXy.jpg[\img]

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #5274 on: January 24, 2023, 12:34:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Not all bbs decks.
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

This is what I think too. Or maybe we only get the I’s and they’re harder to see.

I wish online shopping permitted selection of different presses, cause then I could add a new level of madness, now that I’m pretty much over truck, wheel and bearings/spacer madness.

I’m in Finland and have bought a whole bunch of DLX decks all around Europe and since the introduction of the number system I haven’t had a single one without the number pressed on there.

Pretty sure your deck is a I or then it could be several years old too but I don’t think that’s very likely. Of course there’s always an off chance of it having been left out by mistake.

animalflesh

« Reply #5275 on: January 24, 2023, 12:35:55 PM »
I skated that board and loved it ^^^

Black label black funeral (curb nerd shape)
AF1 66
58 97 CF
Rib Bones
1/8 risers
WD hardware
Welcome grip

Creachteach

« Reply #5276 on: January 24, 2023, 01:03:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Not all bbs decks.
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m in Finland and have bought a whole bunch of DLX decks all around Europe and since the introduction of the number system I haven’t had a single one without the number pressed on there.

Pretty sure your deck is a I or then it could be several years old too but I don’t think that’s very likely. Of course there’s always an off chance of it having been left out by mistake.

Kiitos!
It is quite possible that mine has been sitting around in a warehouse. I’m in Denmark, and i bought it from the Danish branch of the British Skatepro online shop. And it was discounted some. Not many skaters here, and most ride smaller boards.
It’s a great board anyhow, and it seems legit enough.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 756
« Reply #5277 on: January 24, 2023, 01:05:49 PM »
Expand Quote

Effishant Deck
9.8'' x 33.5''
16'' WB

[close]

If memory serves me correctly, the Effishant was basically a Tyshawn Baby Beemer as far as specs/shape goes without the Beemer mold or routered out wheel wells/weight relief spots. I had one of the Baby Beemers years back and had the Bird Beemer, and while they were super fun to skate, I never quite got over how bizarre the center recess feels.

There's a new shorter wheelbase beamer coming out soon. The Coupe with a 14.75" WB

djoekr

« Reply #5278 on: January 24, 2023, 01:37:27 PM »
I skated that board and loved it ^^^

Black label black funeral (curb nerd shape)
AF1 66
58 97 CF
Rib Bones
1/8 risers
WD hardware
Welcome grip

Killed it at the grip job. Is the white grip painted or did you get a white sheet of grip? Always wondered how white grip looks when it's beat up.
Skateboarding is a joke

It's not that serious -

animalflesh

« Reply #5279 on: January 24, 2023, 03:02:02 PM »
Thanx buddy yeah it’s actually a sheet of grip that came that way and I just cut it up (::