Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 533757 times)

FunnyBunny and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WelcomeToHell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 254
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #5370 on: February 21, 2023, 01:41:39 PM »
I went from tight (Indy with bones hards tightened down) to loose (Aces with stock bushings with thinner washers) after I broke my leg. Getting back to skating after like 6 months off the board I didn't have the strength to turn the damn skateboard anymore. So I kept going looser and looser. Settled on Aces. I was weighing around 90 kgs back then, so I wasn't exactly light. Anyway, I feel like it has a lot to do with how you like to control the turning also. I never figured out how to actually make tight trucks turn after breaking my leg even though I got my strength back and more. I guess I had learned a different way of being on the board.

Just wanted to say that it's a lot more about how you control your board than your weight in my opinion.

That makes sense!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5371 on: February 21, 2023, 03:10:17 PM »

I’m asking because my Bones Hards have mushed out, and I’m trying stupid stuff again, and have mixed a set of Indy 96a and mini-logo 100a and have a top from one set and a bottom from the other. Feels good, and they’re not as tightened down as the old ones. I’ll try and keep them a little looser.

Just curious, with the Bones bushings, do you start with the usual metal truck bushing washers on top and bottom as well, or put those in at any time, such as now when the Bones bushings have flattened somewhat?

Others start with just the thin flat washer on top usually and then add the normal metal washers over time as they compress and it works well with both top and bottom stock / normal washers on the Bones bushings sometimes even with the flat one on the very top or very bottom too.

Sort of helps the bushings last a bit longer for what they are for some people I know, otherwise they would be changing them out every month or less.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #5372 on: February 22, 2023, 04:44:46 AM »
Can anyone tell me if you feel a big difference between anti-hero’s regular 9.0 x 33 x 15wb and black label’s 9.0 x 32.62 x 14.5 wb (standard cut) decks ?

I’m currently loving the AH board and want to get a black label. But, I can only order the board online. I’m more scared of the wb than anything. Are the measurements true to size? 

animalflesh

« Reply #5373 on: February 22, 2023, 04:55:09 AM »
Definitely feels different and yes the measurements are accurate

elegant_fox

« Reply #5374 on: February 22, 2023, 05:03:13 AM »
I’ve been skating a few different wheelbases on transition and I’m currently riding a Cab Ban This deck with 169s on a 14.75 wheelbase. I’ve found I need to run Bones hard bushings with 1 thread proud of tightening to avoid speed wobble with 60mm bones 84b.

It seems like sub 15” needs a tighter truck to avoid wobble. I can run the Alva decks with 16”-18” wheelbases looser and more surfed out on the standard Indy bushings.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5375 on: February 22, 2023, 05:07:44 AM »
Definitely feels different and yes the measurements are accurate

So if I’m more confortable with the 15wb I should stick with it? For example, I feel fine on baker’s 14.5wb classic shape. But, ps stix 8.6 boards with 14.5wb feels short.

animalflesh

« Reply #5376 on: February 22, 2023, 06:19:39 AM »
The label board is definitely going to feel shorter overall than an orange eagle… I mean, it could ultimately be to your benefit cause if you’re skating street as well as transition the orange eagle is too long for most people to use it fully functionally

I’m 6’1 and I feel like I’m barely tall enough to ride one

Creachteach

• Rep: 110
« Reply #5377 on: February 22, 2023, 07:31:10 AM »
Expand Quote

I’m asking because my Bones Hards have mushed out, and I’m trying stupid stuff again, and have mixed a set of Indy 96a and mini-logo 100a and have a top from one set and a bottom from the other. Feels good, and they’re not as tightened down as the old ones. I’ll try and keep them a little looser.

[close]

Just curious, with the Bones bushings, do you start with the usual metal truck bushing washers on top and bottom as well, or put those in at any time, such as now when the Bones bushings have flattened somewhat?

Others start with just the thin flat washer on top usually and then add the normal metal washers over time as they compress and it works well with both top and bottom stock / normal washers on the Bones bushings sometimes even with the flat one on the very top or very bottom too.

Sort of helps the bushings last a bit longer for what they are for some people I know, otherwise they would be changing them out every month or less.

Really good tip for prolonging their life!
I didn’t know shit about anything when I first picked up a board again. So I stuck the bones bushings in Indy 139 lows, and still had wheelbite on 52s. They got compressed somewhat on day 1.  But I’ve since used them in 159 and 169s, albeit with at least the bottom cupped washer to maintain geo. They were making an acute angle instead of parallel lines in the relationship between the yoke of the hanger and the flat of the kingpin seat. With the washer it’s more level. My bottom is lower than Indy barrel now so I just tried something else.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Julz

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5378 on: February 22, 2023, 03:23:26 PM »
The label board is definitely going to feel shorter overall than an orange eagle… I mean, it could ultimately be to your benefit cause if you’re skating street as well as transition the orange eagle is too long for most people to use it fully functionally

I’m 5’10 and that 9” AH is my favourite. But again, I’m now a 225lbs, 33 years old father that mostly pushes around my suburban streets, doing nothing more than ollies, kf and slappies. I don’t do the street skating anymore, I just need a big whale board to hold my knees.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #5379 on: February 22, 2023, 11:51:58 PM »

Another Sob Story sample in the wild... I'm also currently working on an 8.75" popsicle shape that we'll be testing shortly... Keep tabs on IG for more updates and I'm going to do my best to get some content up during the sample testing process  8)

Damn these are sick.
I want.

sbr

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #5380 on: February 23, 2023, 05:03:42 AM »
Damn these are sick.
I want.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone who has been stoked about what we're doing thus far.

The plan is to get the 8.75" popsicle I designed pressed as samples. Once we sign off on those, we'll do a run of 25 9.25's and 25 8.75's as the first "production" run in late spring/early summer. If you (or anyone else) are interested in a board, just shoot me a DM on the SOB IG and I can keep you in the loop as far as the timeline goes. I work for a large corporate ecom retailer as my day job, so I'm trying my absolute best to keep this project as "not serious" as I can so it stays fun. At the moment, I'm not planning on doing "pre-book" orders since the timelines are all tentative, but if anyone reaches out I'll have a short list of what would be "called for" so to speak once the production boards are in hand.
Small man, big board...
IG: s.b.r_

Creachteach

« Reply #5381 on: February 23, 2023, 12:56:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m 5’10 and that 9” AH is my favourite. But again, I’m now a 225lbs, 33 years old father that mostly pushes around my suburban streets, doing nothing more than ollies, kf and slappies. I don’t do the street skating anymore, I just need a big whale board to hold my knees.

6’2”/ 255, size 11, 35 yr.
I have the 9” eagle as well. I’m trying to skate mini ramps on it. Dropped in for the first time about a month ago, so YMMV. Board is hella good, but it is really a canoe length wise.
Ollie’s are okay, but it takes quite a kick to get off the ground /w 169, 57mm radials.

Shinners from shove it’s are brutal with the weight.

Post a pic of your orange eagles.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #5382 on: February 23, 2023, 01:35:53 PM »

Another Sob Story sample in the wild... I'm also currently working on an 8.75" popsicle shape that we'll be testing shortly... Keep tabs on IG for more updates and I'm going to do my best to get some content up during the sample testing process  8)

I love some Pennswood. I love this shape so what I’m about to say is sooooo wrong…

I can’t unsee a butthole with a monkey in the middle of it.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5383 on: February 24, 2023, 12:06:32 PM »
Fourth one of these Polar 9.0's in a row for me and second in a row of this graphic/stain. I usually just go for shape when choosing a board but I really love this graphic. Rails are not perfectly aligned but oh well.

Polar 9.0 Deck
Indy 169 Ti Hanger/Hollow Standard baseplate/Bones hard no washer
Bones 56mm V6 X97
Swiss 6
Mob Grip
1/8th Black Label Risers
1 1/8th Shorty's Silverados
New Deal deck rails

elegant_fox

« Reply #5384 on: February 24, 2023, 12:12:41 PM »
Fourth one of these Polar 9.0's in a row for me and second in a row of this graphic/stain. I usually just go for shape when choosing a board but I really love this graphic. Rails are not perfectly aligned but oh well.

Polar 9.0 Deck
Bones 56mm V6 X97
Swiss 6
Mob Grip
1/8th Black Label Risers
New Deal deck rails

This looks like a really well thought out setup, I’ve been hearing about the Polar 9.0s for a minute. They don’t seem to be doing their spring run of decks yet though.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #5385 on: February 24, 2023, 12:31:02 PM »

Polar 9.0 Deck
Bones 56mm V6 X97
Swiss 6
Mob Grip
1/8th Black Label Risers
New Deal deck rails

Heavy new deal/Andy Howell vibe from those graphics. Really fun looking setup.

minilogoflow

« Reply #5386 on: February 24, 2023, 12:38:44 PM »
Expand Quote

Polar 9.0 Deck
Bones 56mm V6 X97
Swiss 6
Mob Grip
1/8th Black Label Risers
New Deal deck rails
[close]

This looks like a really well thought out setup, I’ve been hearing about the Polar 9.0s for a minute. They don’t seem to be doing their spring run of decks yet though.

Thanks, I'm pretty neurotic about my set up haha. What I really like about this shape is besides the width, it's got "normal" popsicle dimensions. 32.37" L/14.5" WB on the Polar vs 33.25" L/15"WB on an Orange Eagle makes it much more manageable despite both being 9.0" Wide. I'm 6'3+Size 13 so the width is nice and since it's a normal shape all my tricks feel good. I've been on the lookout for another one but it seems like the last run of boards they did were all older graphics, interested to see their new drop.

minilogoflow

« Reply #5387 on: February 24, 2023, 12:40:00 PM »
Expand Quote

Polar 9.0 Deck
Bones 56mm V6 X97
Swiss 6
Mob Grip
1/8th Black Label Risers
New Deal deck rails
[close]

Heavy new deal/Andy Howell vibe from those graphics. Really fun looking setup.

Something about the bright colors and kinda goofy graphic just make it a fun board to skate.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #5388 on: February 24, 2023, 05:48:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have the 9” eagle as well. I’m trying to skate mini ramps on it. Dropped in for the first time about a month ago, so YMMV. Board is hella good, but it is really a canoe length wise.
Ollie’s are okay, but it takes quite a kick to get off the ground /w 169, 57mm radials.

It’s big for me to skate it seriously, but I was curious one time so I ended up with an Orange Eagle in my stack. Eventually skated it a few times at the park, but then when my Beach Bummer got stolen I turned it into a cruiser. Settled on an unconventional combo to say the least (I’ll take the kook for putting OJs on an Eagle, but I won’t apologize because this is truly an elite ride lol). The stability of the Ventures with the cushy turn of the Riptides is a great combo, and you can absolutely fly on this sled. Bar none one of the best high-speed carving machines I’ve ever skated.

Orange Eagle
Venture 5.8 cast hollow (+1/8 in. risers)
Riptide APS 80A
OJ Hot Juice 60mm
Bronson RAW

Creachteach

« Reply #5389 on: February 25, 2023, 01:18:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s big for me to skate it seriously, but I was curious one time so I ended up with an Orange Eagle in my stack. Eventually skated it a few times at the park, but then when my Beach Bummer got stolen I turned it into a cruiser. Settled on an unconventional combo to say the least (I’ll take the kook for putting OJs on an Eagle, but I won’t apologize because this is truly an elite ride lol). The stability of the Ventures with the cushy turn of the Riptides is a great combo, and you can absolutely fly on this sled. Bar none one of the best high-speed carving machines I’ve ever skated.

Orange Eagle
Venture 5.8 cast hollow (+1/8 in. risers)
Riptide APS 80A
OJ Hot Juice 60mm
Bronson RAW

That’s hot!
Bit unconventional to have an otherwise full DLX build and then opt for something not Spitfire for wheels, but the OJs really complement the orange.

Will post mine in a second.

Edit for picture:

I need to learn some slides and grinds.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 04:31:37 AM by Creachteach »

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #5390 on: February 26, 2023, 09:01:55 AM »
set this up last weekend. 3 sessions in now. feels good to be back on the Mutant shape. i decided i need to stop buying other shapes (again), cause i skate the best on this. hope i can keep to it tho. allways tempted to try new shit, but just keep getting dissapointed since my first mutant.
hope my trucks can keep up till the end of my trip next month. bushings and pivot cup are blown out and i hate taking them apart.

Heroin 10.1 Dead Dave
indy standart 169's
spitfire OG classic (worn down to 50mm)

Creachteach

« Reply #5391 on: February 27, 2023, 06:37:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I put the flat Bones washer at the bottom and then the standard Indy cupped washer, and it brought new life to my bushings.
Thanks a whole bunch, you wonderful helpful human being  :)

logjammin

• Rep: 312
« Reply #5392 on: March 01, 2023, 07:16:22 PM »
From the regular set-up thread:

9" double drilled 13.6-14" wheelbase, chose the former
Jessup standard
1" Ace phillips hardware
1/8" Dooks hard risers
Stage 4's with Ace bushings
Spitfire Radial Full 56mm 97a
Bronson Raws

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #5393 on: March 01, 2023, 09:31:01 PM »
set this up last weekend. 3 sessions in now. feels good to be back on the Mutant shape. i decided i need to stop buying other shapes (again), cause i skate the best on this. hope i can keep to it tho. allways tempted to try new shit, but just keep getting dissapointed since my first mutant.
hope my trucks can keep up till the end of my trip next month. bushings and pivot cup are blown out and i hate taking them apart.

Heroin 10.1 Dead Dave
indy standart 169's
spitfire OG classic (worn down to 50mm)

Beautiful

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5394 on: March 03, 2023, 01:45:43 PM »
Jason Adams black label 9 x 32.62 14.5 wb
Venture 6.1 w/riptide pivot cups
Spitfire f4 58 conical full 97
Quantum fusion bearings
Roughneck 1” Allen
Rad railz regular
Jessup

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5395 on: March 03, 2023, 04:26:23 PM »
Jason Adams black label 9 x 32.62 14.5 wb
Venture 6.1 w/riptide pivot cups
Spitfire f4 58 conical full 97
Quantum fusion bearings
Roughneck 1” Allen
Rad railz regular
Jessup

I think that new shorter 9" shape is one that would become very popular with a lot of people who just felt like the orange eagle shape was too much / too long overall.

Definitely keen to see it (and skate it) if it becomes available here in AU after seeing some pics and setups like yours.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #5396 on: March 03, 2023, 04:34:40 PM »
It's almost a twin nose, tail is right at 7 or slightly over and nose is 7.25.
Mellowish kicks, had a great first garage session on it this am and Jason adams is one of my favorites.
I keep trying to ride smaller boards but I always feel so much better on 8.75 and up.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #5397 on: March 04, 2023, 03:47:50 AM »

First time trying a sweatpants shape.

Krooked 9.81
Ace classic 55
Streetplant rail
Bones easy streets prob 54 now

animalflesh

« Reply #5398 on: March 13, 2023, 02:29:46 PM »
All free stuff

Creature 9 (15 WB)
Indy 169
Of classic 58
Super reds
Friends hardware company
1/8 riser
Random clear rails

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #5399 on: March 13, 2023, 08:09:20 PM »

First time trying a sweatpants shape.

Krooked 9.81
Ace classic 55
Streetplant rail
Bones easy streets prob 54 now

Never realised it's kind of a modernised classic Vision shape.