Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88363 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #480 on: July 28, 2020, 01:53:38 PM »

Where did you buy them?

There's a rollerblade bearing company called Wicked that partnered with SKF to produce actual skate bearings, so I'd recommend going that route if you want to try them. A lot of times when you buy bearings that are designed for industrial purposes they'll come with metal shields (ie not replaceable) and the retainer will be a steel cage or ribbon type which is more durable but slower than the nylon/plastic crown style retainers in skate bearings. They also often come packed with grease (remember they're designed to run at loads that are like 10x faster than a skate wheel) rather than oil, which is also slower. That means you have to pop the metal shields which usually can't be replaced, then go through a degreasing and re-lubricating process to get them to run like a skate bearing. It's really kind of a pain in the ass for not a massive performance increase. If you've ever skated the old GMN bearings from back in the day you'll know what I'm talking about.

You can get nylon cages and rubber shields but every manufacturer uses their own codes and the information online is often scarce or incorrect, so tracking them down is also a pain in the ass. I went through the whole ordeal months ago in a quest to find out if German bearings really are vastly superior, and even imported a few sets and ended up mostly disappointed in the end. 

Garbagewagon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #481 on: July 28, 2020, 05:51:38 PM »
Reds

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #482 on: July 29, 2020, 02:19:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Swiss' are all hype, turns out. Bought a set of SKF explorer 608-2z (SKF being the company that invented ball-bearings) for 20$-ish (Swiss' are like 150$ here), and they roll like nothing else.

SKF makes all kinds of bearings for crazy purposes, like aircrafts and boats and shit, so I guess skateboarding is literally childsplay. No marketing budget as well (if the packaging/name didn't reveal that already), but they know their shit.
[close]
I doubt you will find a set SKF bearings in the US for under $40ish. You might get 3 bearings for $20.

it's just under $39 without tax plus free shipping on ebay. so should i get a set of these instead of the swiss? i found a set of swiss for $40
even the steven

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #483 on: July 29, 2020, 05:00:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Swiss' are all hype, turns out. Bought a set of SKF explorer 608-2z (SKF being the company that invented ball-bearings) for 20$-ish (Swiss' are like 150$ here), and they roll like nothing else.

SKF makes all kinds of bearings for crazy purposes, like aircrafts and boats and shit, so I guess skateboarding is literally childsplay. No marketing budget as well (if the packaging/name didn't reveal that already), but they know their shit.
[close]
I doubt you will find a set SKF bearings in the US for under $40ish. You might get 3 bearings for $20.
[close]

it's just under $39 without tax plus free shipping on ebay. so should i get a set of these instead of the swiss? i found a set of swiss for $40
Bones swiss for $40 with a discount code from an authorized dealer?
There’s lots of fakes out there for $25-40 out there. If you choose bones swiss make sure it’s an authorized dealer and not some random eBay person.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

chappers

« Reply #484 on: July 29, 2020, 06:51:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
There’s lots of fakes out there for $25-40 out there. If you choose bones swiss make sure it’s an authorized dealer and not some random eBay person.

this god damn message board piqued my interest once more. just got 8 of these skf bearings for £16 posted from ebay. literally bought a set of big balls yesterday haha, fuck

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #485 on: July 29, 2020, 07:02:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Lot and lots of fakes, I think the genuine ones still have the wording along the top of the bearing:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 07:17:28 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #486 on: July 29, 2020, 07:55:23 AM »
Expand Quote

Where did you buy them?
[close]

There's a rollerblade bearing company called Wicked that partnered with SKF to produce actual skate bearings, so I'd recommend going that route if you want to try them. A lot of times when you buy bearings that are designed for industrial purposes they'll come with metal shields (ie not replaceable) and the retainer will be a steel cage or ribbon type which is more durable but slower than the nylon/plastic crown style retainers in skate bearings. They also often come packed with grease (remember they're designed to run at loads that are like 10x faster than a skate wheel) rather than oil, which is also slower. That means you have to pop the metal shields which usually can't be replaced, then go through a degreasing and re-lubricating process to get them to run like a skate bearing. It's really kind of a pain in the ass for not a massive performance increase. If you've ever skated the old GMN bearings from back in the day you'll know what I'm talking about.

You can get nylon cages and rubber shields but every manufacturer uses their own codes and the information online is often scarce or incorrect, so tracking them down is also a pain in the ass. I went through the whole ordeal months ago in a quest to find out if German bearings really are vastly superior, and even imported a few sets and ended up mostly disappointed in the end.

You sound like you know what you're talking about - I'm just talking from personal experience though. Had a set of these SKF's for like two years straight a couple of years back. They're meant to be completely maintenance-free, as I understood it.

Why would the bearings be slower with metal shields by the way?

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #487 on: July 30, 2020, 12:04:29 AM »
Expand Quote

Where did you buy them?
[close]

damnn..i used to ride GMN & NMB bearings back in the days..and some SKF & NTN bearings cause those are easy to find at the local heavy industry spare parts dealerships.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #488 on: July 30, 2020, 04:52:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

on offerup but they unlike all the ones i see listed have that little sticker on the front that says "skate rated"  which i often do not see on bearings sold second hand. i just got a Reynolds reaper for 64 so i think the bearings will have to wait  ::)
even the steven

Garbagewagon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #489 on: July 30, 2020, 07:34:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

on offerup but they unlike all the ones i see listed have that little sticker on the front that says "skate rated"  which i often do not see on bearings sold second hand. i just got a Reynolds reaper for 64 so i think the bearings will have to wait  ::)

Prices on those SKF bearings are all over the place. This vendor in the UK seems to be the most reasonable:

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=6750&currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI64Ko_pf16gIVyyCtBh1tjQmGEAYYASABEgITdPD_BwE

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #490 on: July 30, 2020, 08:34:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Whats the logic behind this? How about nada...

Clean 2-4 times per year, depending on how much you skate.
If they start to get loud or slow, then its already enough grit in them to have done some damage.
[close]

That's not really true, as long as it's good steel then "some damage" doesn't mean the bearing is shot. With good bearings the races can take more of a beating than you might think and you might be surprised how much life you can bring back with a proper full breakdown balls-out cleaning. While I don't think Bones Swiss are the absolute godsend most skaters do, the one area they really do excel in is durability. I've taken seriously nasty sets that I picked up in second-hand wheels and brought them back to damn near new performance with a proper cleaning.

So the logic behind that is that good bearings can have a much longer effective lifespan with proper cleaning and maintenance, aka the exact thing that every bearing manufacturer tells you to do. Not quite "nada".
[close]

Some damage here and there will eventually lead to too much play in the bearing tracks/balls. They might feel and even be faster duo to this, but they will fall apart sooner...

Just a tiny bit of dirt spinning around in there under load is bad, no matter if you have good steel
[close]

Again, some damage doesn't mean unusable and that's especially true in the case of Bones Swiss. I'm not saying they're going to be as fast as a brand new set with flawless races, I'm saying that keeping them clean and doing maintenance as needed will give your bearings a longer useful lifespan and better performance.

A lot of people I've skated with just pop the shields and dunk them in rubbing alcohol then put them back together and think "oh cleaning them doesn't really do much" without realizing that you have to pop the balls to properly clean the retainer and races. Also I've seen soooo many people who crush their shields when they tighten their axle nuts and then complain that shields slow the bearing down. Well no shit, it's rubbing against the balls now. Labyrinth shields work well but I saw a set of bearings that had convex shields one time and thought that was a pretty cool idea.
[close]

Yes, and that means cleaning them before they start to make noises or become slow.
I dont see why people cant just have a cleaning routine 2-4 times per year.
[close]

Well you have to remember that not everyone skates the same type of spots for the same length and frequency. If you're skating dusty ass street spots for hours every day then you're going to need to clean them more often than someone who only skates an indoor park on the weekends. In the winter I barely need to touch mine unless they get wet, but right now if I go to the spot around the corner from me thats next to a construction site then there will be dirt stuck to any even slightly wet or recessed spot on my setup within the hour. Every 3-6 months might be a good schedule for you, but if I waited that long right now then my shit would feel like grittier than Nora's upper lip.

Yeah, “clean then when they’re loud or slow” was just the most basic bearing maintenance advice I was given as a youngin. In reality, I clean them regularly, and before they get slow or loud. I live in a super dusty, dirty area so I need to clean my bearings like once a month to keep them running smooth. So I actually agree with both of you. I think I was just trying to encourage people to clean their fucking bearings instead of throwing them out right away.

I’m glad you guys skipped the class today. We’re having fun, aren’t we?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #491 on: August 13, 2020, 10:39:01 AM »
I'm back on shieldless swiss six after a stint on Race Reds ...good gawd I couldn't stand the solid thunk thunk of those bearing all tight and paired with a PSstix board and 99a wheels...now I'm on a cripsy DSM board, thunders, and 101 F4s/swiss six...all rattly and noisy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 09:29:12 AM by Xen »

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #492 on: August 13, 2020, 11:24:23 AM »

I usually ride Bones Swiss, but I tried some generic, (probably Chinese), ceramic bearings from Blankdecks.com
and was impressed. They were fast as the Bones. So I thought I would give these a try. Still waiting on them to arrive.
$17 shipped from Amazon. I'll let you guys know how they are when they get here.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #493 on: August 13, 2020, 06:10:24 PM »
I bought some SKFs on eBay. SKF EXPLORER 608-2Z/C3LHT23
$18 for a box of ten and they aren’t that great.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #494 on: August 14, 2020, 07:58:33 PM »

I got the same ones, box of ten. Thought they just needed breaking in at first but two sessions in they're still soggy sounding and a lot slower than the mini logos I had. Tripping at the fact that someone said they were on par with swiss above.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 08:05:55 PM by tzhangdox »

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #495 on: August 14, 2020, 10:21:57 PM »
Swiss for my normal board, and Swiss ceramic competition 6 for my filmer/cruiser setup.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #496 on: August 14, 2020, 10:55:39 PM »
Riding some Olympia ceramic bearings. Retail is $44.95
Only a week or so in but extremely fast, No slowing down yet.

Skibb

• Rep: 68
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #497 on: August 14, 2020, 11:59:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I got the same ones, box of ten. Thought they just needed breaking in at first but two sessions in they're still soggy sounding and a lot slower than the mini logos I had. Tripping at the fact that someone said they were on par with swiss above.

I was JUST about to follow up my purchase - I'm actually super happy with them, haha. Based on subjective experience though, but I'm stoked.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #498 on: August 15, 2020, 04:51:01 AM »
Don’t have much of a reason to hate the mini logos I’ve had on my keyframes for a while. Better experience than with reds

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: August 15, 2020, 08:50:20 AM »
Swiss for my normal board, and Swiss ceramic competition 6 for my filmer/cruiser setup.

There’s a six ball ceramic?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #500 on: August 15, 2020, 01:55:07 PM »
Mini logos at the moment, with regular cleaning and a quick oil they seem to be lasting pretty good, I have bent a couple of the shields though so running a few of them without...not ideal but they seem to be doing ok for a cheap bearing.

I've got some bronson G2 sitting in a set of unused wheels at the moment, and some spitfire cheapshots on my cruiser deck...those are pretty passable for a budget bearing.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: August 27, 2020, 07:51:22 AM »
How do you guys remove retainer cages? I’ve been pushing them out with a paper clip, but I’m wondering if there’s a better way.

sketchyrider

« Reply #502 on: August 27, 2020, 09:03:42 AM »
a while back i posted in here that my new reds seemed pretty solid, well they got beat up after 4 months of 1 or 2 weekly squeaky-clean park sessions. i'm in agreeance with everyone else, mini-logos are a better deal, swiss are the truth if ya got money.

my big balls also got a little crusty eventually, but they endured worse abuse than the reds and also cleaned up better.

not sure if i posted this but the best non-bones bearings i've ridden are from rush.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #503 on: August 27, 2020, 09:13:40 AM »
my big balls also got a little crusty eventually, but they endured worse abuse
Sig worthy for someone. I already got mine dialed in, but hey, headsup to anyone who wants it.

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
« Reply #504 on: August 27, 2020, 09:33:43 AM »

These ceramics showed up. Fast after a quick break in. They have the white balls. These will be my go to, if I'm not running Bones Swiss. Great deals on these off Amazon, $17 shipped.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #505 on: August 27, 2020, 10:27:17 AM »

These ceramics showed up. Fast after a quick break in. They have the white balls. These will be my go to, if I'm not running Bones Swiss. Great deals on these off Amazon, $17 shipped.

Yeah some of those China OEM ones are pretty solid, the big brands source their stuff from there anyway, so it depends if you can find a reputable seller who in turn sources from a warehouse with high QC standards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #506 on: September 14, 2020, 07:30:47 PM »
So I sent my crappy-ass Swiss off to Bones. I was told they’re legit but with no manufacturer defects. They cleaned them up, replaced a few shields and shipped them back.
They used the same sandwich bag I sent them in, which made me laugh.
I might set them up soon. We’ll see.

flintstagram

• Rep: 80
« Reply #507 on: September 14, 2020, 08:57:44 PM »
Bones Swiss are my number one. I haven't made the jump past regular Swiss to the Swiss six or ceramics.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 82
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #508 on: September 19, 2020, 06:57:56 PM »
broson
Cocteau Twins

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #509 on: September 19, 2020, 08:09:01 PM »
I took the shields offspeed demon bearing (pressed-in metal) and they use metal cages lmao, fuck speed demons
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick