Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 88326 times)

layzieyez

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #420 on: June 25, 2020, 08:38:49 PM »
Have any of you mad scientists tried using an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean your bearings? Just wondering.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #421 on: June 25, 2020, 11:52:52 PM »
Have any of you mad scientists tried using an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean your bearings? Just wondering.
We have this bigger industrial version at work (print house) and I’ve been cleaning mine & homies swiss for ten years now, it truly works. I just cleaned up my friends ceramics that has been cleaned with that bones shakey bottle only, and huge amount of black stuff appeared on the bottom of my cleaning solution so I can confirm it works!
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #422 on: June 26, 2020, 03:34:06 AM »
Skate Warehouse has Flip HKD 7s on clearance for $10. They're my favorite cheap bearing pretty much ever - fast, durable, and I like the full blackout look.

I recommend not popping them unless you're one of those people who can't tighten an axle nut without bending your shields and just let them break in. They come soaked in lube from the factory so it takes a session or two to get it all dispersed but once it does they're better than Reds in my book.

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Flip_HKD_Bearings_ABEC_7/descpage-FLHKD7BR.html

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #423 on: June 26, 2020, 06:32:07 AM »
Skate Warehouse has Flip HKD 7s on clearance for $10. They're my favorite cheap bearing pretty much ever - fast, durable, and I like the full blackout look.

I recommend not popping them unless you're one of those people who can't tighten an axle nut without bending your shields and just let them break in. They come soaked in lube from the factory so it takes a session or two to get it all dispersed but once it does they're better than Reds in my book.

you've spoke highly of those and i have been wanting to try em out. got nothing else i need at SW tho

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #424 on: June 26, 2020, 06:39:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
you've spoke highly of those and i have been wanting to try em out. got nothing else i need at SW tho
Those are the best cheap bearings ever, 5's are also pretty good. Both way better that reds
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #425 on: June 26, 2020, 07:32:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't want to like hype them up too much and have people think they're better than swiss, they're more of a mini logo alternative than anything. I really won't even buy them if they're full price but when I find them on sale like this I tend to buy 3 or 4 sets and just keep a little stock of them. They don't last forever but if you keep the shields on and don't get them wet you can get a few months of daily use out of them. What really sold me was when I  rusted a set out then broke them down and cleaned them up and despite the races and balls both being scratched to shit they still ran pretty well.

All that being said, they're still a cheap chinese bearing and while the QC is better than most I've still had a couple sets where one or two didn't spin that great. I usually mix and match the best ones and then use the wonky ones for rain boards or grab bag sets.

If you want I'll order enough to get to the free shipping mark and then mail you a set for $10 as long as you're east coast so I don't get killed on the shipping cost. 

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #426 on: June 26, 2020, 08:31:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
We have this bigger industrial version at work (print house) and I’ve been cleaning mine & homies swiss for ten years now, it truly works. I just cleaned up my friends ceramics that has been cleaned with that bones shakey bottle only, and huge amount of black stuff appeared on the bottom of my cleaning solution so I can confirm it works!
I knew someone had to have done it. What kind of cleaning solution do you use?

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #427 on: June 26, 2020, 09:17:46 AM »
Swiss 6 which is a gross exaggeration for the level of skateboarding I'm doing. They are really good though.
The chillest1

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #428 on: June 26, 2020, 01:39:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Citrus-based industrial solvent, and final cleaning with pure iso.

It sucks getting old.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #429 on: June 26, 2020, 02:20:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

I did the citrus on my bones big balls, instantly discolored the metal to a rust-like look (wasn't rusted).

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #430 on: June 26, 2020, 02:28:53 PM »
Swiss 6 which is a gross exaggeration for the level of skateboarding I'm doing. They are really good though.
if you can pay you can play
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #431 on: June 26, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

I did the citrus on my bones big balls, instantly discolored the metal to a rust-like look (wasn't rusted).
Key is to use it mixed it with water, that pure stuff is too strong for almost anything.

e. That’s why the alcohol also, to remove any moisture left there

It sucks getting old.

Diocletian

« Reply #432 on: June 26, 2020, 04:33:45 PM »
I decided I'm finally going to stop being lazy and start cleaning my bearings. Bought some Swiss from the local and will try to make them last forever by cleaning them whenever they start seizing up.

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #433 on: June 26, 2020, 05:19:24 PM »
This thread has convinced me to grab some mini logos to compare to my reds, super reds, Indy Blacks and Shake Junt Triple OGs. Out of these the indy Blacks seem the fastest and the rest seem almost identicle. I think swiss are def the best but this minilogo talk got me interested and those flips too.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #434 on: June 27, 2020, 01:22:28 AM »

Bones Swiss 6 are not going to make you skate faster or better, or whatever you imagine. They will just hold all the hits you are going to throw them, and they will still spin after hard crash landing. During my bearings exploration quest, I was destroying sets of Andale, Bronson or Reds in 3 sessions. My Swiss 6 are still pretty good after 1 year and a half. Even the Bones Big Balls broke after 9 months. I was very reluctant to spend so much money on these Swiss bearings, but after doing the maths, yeah, best investment so far... However, I just tried the Swiss 6, I don't know about the other Swiss, like the overpriced ceramics.
I mean, even if you are not a high skilled skateboarder, if you skate regularly Swiss 6 is not luxury but just "industry standard".

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #435 on: June 27, 2020, 11:23:55 AM »

Switching back to China white ceramic today after I finish this.

I figured I'd show you how to fix your stuff while I'm setting these up for storage till winter.

I'm telling you the race is never this dirty in the ceramics ever. Not after years of use

Go ceramic always

The order is fucked. The important part is putting the shield on first when putting back together the bearings
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 11:28:30 AM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #436 on: June 30, 2020, 08:48:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
Key is to use it mixed it with water, that pure stuff is too strong for almost anything.

So in theory, this could work with a non-industrial ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and some citrus degreaser from a hardware store? Then rinse the bearings with isopropyl alcohol and dry? Am I understanding correctly?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:40:57 AM by JANUS »
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

ZachV

• Rep: -9
« Reply #437 on: June 30, 2020, 10:24:01 AM »
I’m currently on Indy Gp-s bearings, they’re cheaper then reds and work fine. I also like the metal shield lol, reminds me of a Walmart board or something.

EDIT: fixed grammar
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #438 on: June 30, 2020, 08:33:29 PM »
About to set up some of the 6-Ball Reds, keen to try them out.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #439 on: June 30, 2020, 08:35:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

So in theory, this could work with a non-industrial ultrasonic jewelry cleaner and some citrus degreaser from a hardware store? Then rinse the bearings with isopropyl alcohol and dry? Am I understanding correctly?
I know you're scheming. I'm scheming too.

Gotta do something with all this time on my hands in isolation. Might as well figure out the best means of bearing maintenance.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #440 on: June 30, 2020, 10:02:18 PM »
Bones Race redz as of today.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #441 on: June 30, 2020, 11:21:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Not just in theory, my friend bought one of those small ones and it works just fine, just needs s bit longer time to clean them but same principles. Just make sure you dilute that citrus stuff to water, as it is too strong pure.

It sucks getting old.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #442 on: July 01, 2020, 07:22:03 AM »
Sick! Thanks for the input. I am scheming. 100%. (Gotta outrun the Draculas.)
Last question: do you remove the shields and nylon cages before putting the bearings in the cleaner?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #443 on: July 02, 2020, 10:47:48 AM »
Last question: do you remove the shields and nylon cages before putting the bearings in the cleaner?

Yes. Wash those with like blue dish soap and a toothbrush make sure your shield is still flat and everything is dry before putting it back on too
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #444 on: July 02, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes. Wash those with like blue dish soap and a toothbrush make sure your shield is still flat and everything is dry before putting it back on too

Awesome. I’ve been doing it like that for a while now, but none of my friends have ever been into bearing maintenance so I was never sure if I was doing it right. Thanks!

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #445 on: July 04, 2020, 02:25:22 AM »
Last time I ordered something from tactics I picked up a set of Bronson G3 to get to the free shipping threshold. I figured since the raws were good for about a week before they got dirty and slowed down considerably the G3 would be basically the same performance but last longer since they had shields. I was wrong. They aren't that fast and after about a month they seem to be slowing significantly and a few sound pretty rough despite me not even skating them every day. I honestly don't notice any difference between them and the g2 other than packaging, and neither of them are particularly impressive to me. I think this is going to be the last time I buy Bronsons, for the same price I could get 2 sets of better bearings (mini logo, flip 7 etc).

I also picked up some Dirty (brand name, not description) bearings with a deck I ordered a little while back and they're actually decent. Apparently a lot of Seattle skaters ride them since they're cheap, but I think they're one of the better local/shop bearings I've skated. FTC in SF has decent shop bearings too, I think they're called speedy lunatic. I haven't skated them a ton so no idea about durability but they broke in quick and are pretty smooth so far.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #446 on: July 06, 2020, 11:47:47 PM »
pals with bones swiss, how often do you do clean em? need these to last me a few setups to justify the price
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #447 on: July 07, 2020, 12:58:47 AM »
pals with bones swiss, how often do you do clean em? need these to last me a few setups to justify the price

Dude ive been running the same set of Swiss (shieldless) for like 7 years and ive cleaned them once. I'm not exaggerating either but at the same time I dont skate stairs or big impact shit so...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 01:02:15 AM by DA BIG BODY BENZ »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: July 07, 2020, 05:19:22 AM »

Clean them whenever they get loud or slow. It really depends on how dusty the places you skate are. My Swiss 6 are now on their fourth year of service.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #449 on: July 07, 2020, 06:49:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Clean them whenever they get loud or slow. It really depends on how dusty the places you skate are. My Swiss 6 are now on their fourth year of service.

Whats the logic behind this? How about nada...

Clean 2-4 times per year, depending on how much you skate.
If they start to get loud or slow, then its already enough grit in them to have done some damage.