Author Topic: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?  (Read 91828 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 286
Re: Which Bearings Are You Guys Running?
« Reply #990 on: April 15, 2023, 08:29:32 AM »
I had to throw away the third Quantum Fusion bearing today due to mechanical failure. No high impact, not even slappies were performed on those. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement as I specifically bought them for a rain slappy set up but as it turns out they can‘t even handle nice weather old man flatground skating. That will teach me.

Yeah no Quantums anymore for me either. Overhyped marketing.

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #991 on: April 15, 2023, 09:19:57 AM »
I had to throw away the third Quantum Fusion bearing today due to mechanical failure. No high impact, not even slappies were performed on those. To say I am disappointed would be an understatement as I specifically bought them for a rain slappy set up but as it turns out they can‘t even handle nice weather old man flatground skating. That will teach me.

DM’d you.

Thanks
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #992 on: April 15, 2023, 09:31:07 AM »
I read on here that people had experience with  Big Balls (china bones 6 balls), not breaking-in.

I recently used some old ones on a cruiser and they spin pretty good -  i wonder if the soft wheels and harder core make a difference

Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #993 on: April 15, 2023, 09:53:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was running the isotopes ? Or whatever was the high end ones before the fusions In my secondary board and didn’t have the shields on and knocked all the balls out on a 5.0. The outer part is still in the wheel but the whole thing exploded.  To be fair though I got those when they first came out so possibly the quality has improved

Quantum_Bearing_Science

• Rep: 90
    • Quantum Bearings avatar image
« Reply #994 on: April 15, 2023, 10:30:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Was running the isotopes ? Or whatever was the high end ones before the fusions In my secondary board and didn’t have the shields on and knocked all the balls out on a 5.0. The outer part is still in the wheel but the whole thing exploded.  To be fair though I got those when they first came out so possibly the quality has improved

Yeah, if you got them in the beginning, that would be before we changed to the cages, that we currently use, and they’d be a couple years old.

Sent you a DM
http://www.quantumbearing.science/

Instagram
@quantumbearings

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #995 on: April 15, 2023, 11:10:40 PM »
I read on here that people had experience with  Big Balls (china bones 6 balls), not breaking-in.

I recently used some old ones on a cruiser and they spin pretty good -  i wonder if the soft wheels and harder core make a difference

I think the biggest issue with the Big Balls bearings was the ball retainer being too thin and breaking apart quite easily, for which Skate One issued replacement ball retainers before upgrading all their new product.

Even older ones by now might be the newer ones with the fixed / thicker ball retainers, but if you are unsure, just get them out and have a look at the back of them.

A few sets others have had still skated fine up until they blew out completely, not all at once of course, but one here or there.  The set that was left with me after two blew have another four with the ball retainers in pieces and two that look like they only have minimal cracks in one area of it.

Worth checking, even for a cruiser.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #996 on: April 15, 2023, 11:34:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

DM’d you.

Thanks

Thank you.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #997 on: April 24, 2023, 10:27:41 PM »
Running some Bronson Raws, daily use since I got them and they’re slowing down…Swiss six no shields same spots and more time on them and still faster and louder….same for Bronson ceramics with shields, super fast…raws just aren’t holding up.

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #998 on: April 25, 2023, 01:14:37 AM »

I had a set on my normal setup and they were annoying switched them to a cruiserboard after a couple months they were spinning well
I popped the shields put them back on my regular board and got at least six months of nice noisy bearings

I'd only buy them on sale only myself

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #999 on: April 25, 2023, 06:30:28 AM »
I’m running big balls and I’m not into them they are noticeably slower and less smooth than the bearings in my other wheels ( I leave bearings in and just swap wheels at times) in my other wheels that are f4. I use the ceramic ones from Olympia. And those have been great

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1000 on: April 25, 2023, 11:57:20 AM »

Probably time for a new Quantum thread which the company can't delete whenever some people complain about low quality bearings.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1001 on: April 25, 2023, 12:25:32 PM »
I’m running big balls and I’m not into them they are noticeably slower and less smooth than the bearings in my other wheels ( I leave bearings in and just swap wheels at times) in my other wheels that are f4. I use the ceramic ones from Olympia. And those have been great

Big Balls were a massive disappointment (Bronson raws right behind them at this point) plenty of regs ‘abec7s’ at that price point (or lower) that do laps around them, e.g., black Panthers, super redz, Modus, etc..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 04:50:17 PM by Xen »

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #1002 on: April 25, 2023, 01:23:10 PM »
bones swiss and whatever bearings come in the shorty's first aid kit  ;D (also frankensteined a bunch of random bearings in my back up boards; re: if I left my shit at the health food store or other board)

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1003 on: April 25, 2023, 06:41:08 PM »
Running some Bronson Raws, daily use since I got them and they’re slowing down…Swiss six no shields same spots and more time on them and still faster and louder….same for Bronson ceramics with shields, super fast…raws just aren’t holding up.

Yeah, they definitely don’t maintain that velvety low-friction spin once you actually skate them. I just put a drop of lube in each of mine on the cruiser, and they seem to work much better, but without the loud hiss.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1397
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1004 on: April 25, 2023, 07:12:45 PM »
busted out a set of old stock china bones i scored at a yardsale. shields off and these shits been screaming  8)
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1005 on: May 25, 2023, 02:28:39 PM »
swiss 6's, these were like a lowkey secret back in the day.

now i see bones made like big balls or whatever, those used to not even be a thing it was only super swiss 6 and some shops never even had them you used to have to order them offline alot. I remember the comments on kids being like what shields are those? and then seeing bone and were like whaat the fuck. But yeah bones swiss 6

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1006 on: May 27, 2023, 02:49:49 PM »
swiss 6 are the best last for years

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #1007 on: May 28, 2023, 10:27:50 PM »
spacers compatible with quantums? i need that thud not that tin

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 116
« Reply #1008 on: May 28, 2023, 10:51:14 PM »
spacers compatible with quantums? i need that thud not that tin

It’s always questionable if spacers are a good idea, since the inner race of wheels always have slight variances from manufacturing. They may work well with Quantums in one set of wheels, or be too wide for the wheel and not let bearings seat fully/get pushed out.

Personally, the only time I’ve ever tried them, they did not fit the wheels. Then I realized that I don’t need spacers in my wheels, I need emotional catharsis and spiritual fulfillment.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #1009 on: May 29, 2023, 04:02:12 AM »
So I've been on swiss for a few months now and they just get better and faster every session. I don't have to push nearly as much and I maintain speed a lot longer now. Now I know why the pros use them.

rikki

• Rep: 286
« Reply #1010 on: May 29, 2023, 05:16:10 AM »
So I've been on swiss for a few months now and they just get better and faster every session. I don't have to push nearly as much and I maintain speed a lot longer now. Now I know why the pros use them.

Once I got on them for real and realized how fast and long-lasting they are, I've never looked at any other bearing. They're the best, fact.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1011 on: May 29, 2023, 10:36:04 AM »
Back on my Swizz. I'm not going to lie.

My China white ceramics are so so much better.

I feel like the only area where Swizz is truly better is the cage durability.

Ceramics are the only way for me.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #1012 on: May 31, 2023, 11:24:31 AM »
Anyone know what's up with SKF? Was perusing the 303 Memorial Day sale and looks like there's signature bearings for Alexis, Ishod, and Oski but I've never heard of this company before

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1013 on: May 31, 2023, 11:30:17 AM »
Anyone know what's up with SKF? Was perusing the 303 Memorial Day sale and looks like there's signature bearings for Alexis, Ishod, and Oski but I've never heard of this company before

Some German bearing manufacturer getting into the skate game. Haven't tried them but feedback on the boards is that they come super packed with grease so they're slow at first but break in nicely.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #1014 on: May 31, 2023, 11:39:08 AM »

World leader in bearings for industrial applications, bicycles, etc. They're new to skating. I haven't touched anything they've made for skateboards, but I've used their bottom brackets and their cartridge bearings more times than I could possibly recount. The price isn't low enough compared to Swiss for me to switch.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1015 on: May 31, 2023, 12:36:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Some German bearing manufacturer getting into the skate game. Haven't tried them but feedback on the boards is that they come super packed with grease so they're slow at first but break in nicely.
It is a Swedish company that produces bearings in Italy. They're probably somewhere in between Bones Reds and Quantum Isotopes, in terms of feel and pricing. I'm not impressed but I'm not disappointed.

Expand Quote
[close]

World leader in bearings for industrial applications, bicycles, etc. They're new to skating. I haven't touched anything they've made for skateboards, but I've used their bottom brackets and their cartridge bearings more times than I could possibly recount. The price isn't low enough compared to Swiss for me to switch.
They tried to launch in 2007 with Reynolds but it didn't work out. I just noticed that they picked up Tiago.

I probably spent at least two hours over the weekend looking at which bearings to buy. Based on recommendations, I decided to order two sets of the Super Swiss 6, because I spent enough time looking at bearings.

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 38
« Reply #1016 on: May 31, 2023, 03:48:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It is a Swedish company that produces bearings in Italy. They're probably somewhere in between Bones Reds and Quantum Isotopes, in terms of feel and pricing. I'm not impressed but I'm not disappointed.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
They tried to launch in 2007 with Reynolds but it didn't work out. I just noticed that they picked up Tiago.

I probably spent at least two hours over the weekend looking at which bearings to buy. Based on recommendations, I decided to order two sets of the Super Swiss 6, because I spent enough time looking at bearings.
I had those Reynolds bearings when they came out and every single one of them exploded at some point or another.
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

ihateskating

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1017 on: May 31, 2023, 04:20:54 PM »
do you think taking the shields off my bones swiss will affect its performance, i was riding raws previously and i loved how loud the bearings were :'( :'( :'(

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1018 on: May 31, 2023, 04:54:00 PM »
do you think taking the shields off my bones swiss will affect its performance, i was riding raws previously and i loved how loud the bearings were :'( :'( :'(

Yes.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #1019 on: May 31, 2023, 06:42:19 PM »
Just curious, anyone ever use Lock-Ease for lube? Works great on car, pad locks, and home locks. Seems like it probably be good for bearings.