Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296907 times)

clamy

• Rep: 81
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #900 on: July 13, 2016, 10:59:35 PM »
Anyone else notice that dull sounding ride, that i've about on here from aces, I wanna try them, but love my thunders and that dull sound, sounds terrible

Sort of.

It was the first thing I noticed when I set them up.

This new set of Ace's I have didn't sound dull when everything was stock. But now that I'm riding 'em with Bones bushings and only a bottom washer, it sounds dull again. I think it's just cause of the whole wobble thing, if I put the stock bushings and both washers back on it would probably go back to sounding normal.

Probably not. I'm running everything stock on mine and they sound dull. I don't mind it yet, because everything is working on them for me.

Just put my THUNDER 151s back on my setup to take a break from Ace 44s and to compare the two. Things I've noticed: the timing on my pop is a little off but the wider trucks feel so much better on slappies (grinds  'feel' nicer also) and weirdly even though my timing is off I landed my first 360 flip in months. The Thunders are with stock bushings and feel much more  stiff and stable but you still get that super responsive turn when needed. Bombed a hill and felt more secure on the Thunders. Both solid trucks. I can't commit to one brand even if it fucks up my consistency but going to ride the 151s until they're dead as they are already at axle.

I just sold all my stage 11s to make the switch to Ace. I haven't fully committed to Ace either since I just bought a set of 149 Thunders from Nallid. I've never skated Ace or Thunder and have been on Indy for a decade, so we'll see how things go...

Main

• Rep: -206
« Reply #901 on: July 14, 2016, 08:34:24 AM »
Check your kingpin and see if it's loose, that was the culprit with my last set of Ace's. I don't know why it would sound dull otherwise.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #902 on: July 14, 2016, 11:29:02 AM »
The dullness could be engineered right into the truck to counter all the unnecessary hype.....

epiclystellar

• Rep: 2
« Reply #903 on: July 14, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »
Anybody have a pic of Indy 159 next to Ace 55 and possibly even Indy 149 and Ace 44. All in a row so you can see the size difference. Skated Indy 149 forever and recently switched to Ace 44 with Krux DL kingpin with Ace bottom bushing and Krux top bushing and love everything about them but would prefer to go a little wider so just want to see the how the size difference looks.

I haven't put a Krux DL kingpin in Indys yet so whats the preferred bushing combination on Indys with a Krux DL kingpin?

Main

« Reply #904 on: July 14, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
Anybody have a pic of Indy 159 next to Ace 55 and possibly even Indy 149 and Ace 44. All in a row so you can see the size difference. Skated Indy 149 forever and recently switched to Ace 44 with Krux DL kingpin with Ace bottom bushing and Krux top bushing and love everything about them but would prefer to go a little wider so just want to see the how the size difference looks.

I haven't put a Krux DL kingpin in Indys yet so whats the preferred bushing combination on Indys with a Krux DL kingpin?

Ace 44's are 8.38"
Indy 149's are 8.5"

Ace 55's are 8.875"
Indy 159's are 8.75"

2thick

• Rep: -64
« Reply #905 on: July 15, 2016, 09:08:13 AM »
Theeves or thunders... I need a break from Indy right now. I'll probabaly back to them within a few months

BMCsteve

« Reply #906 on: July 15, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
Theeves or thunders... I need a break from Indy right now. I'll probabaly back to them within a few months

I've said it a few times but Theeve are the best trucks I've ever skated.  I had issues with the kingpings becoming loose in 2 sets in a row and got soured by them but I'm thinking of going back.  Could have been a bad production run but they're the best turning and most stable truck on the planet

Main

« Reply #907 on: July 15, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »

I've said it a few times but Theeve are the best trucks I've ever skated.  I had issues with the kingpings becoming loose in 2 sets in a row and got soured by them but I'm thinking of going back.  Could have been a bad production run but they're the best turning and most stable truck on the planet

I'd still like to know why all the big names on their team left for Indy. Ben Raybourn used to sell the Theeves they gave him to buy Indy's so they kicked him off haha. I wonder if it was during the time production issues were present?

BMCsteve

« Reply #908 on: July 15, 2016, 11:38:26 AM »

I'd still like to know why all the big names on their team left for Indy. Ben Raybourn used to sell the Theeves they gave him to buy Indy's so they kicked him off haha. I wonder if it was during the time production issues were present?

That's probably the case.  Their V1 and V2 models were plagued by bulging bushings after just a couple sessions.  Those were resolved with the V3 models.

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #909 on: July 15, 2016, 12:34:14 PM »
Steve - What model were you skating? The TiAX v3? It's interesting they come stock with Bones bushings.

BMCsteve

« Reply #910 on: July 15, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
Steve - What model were you skating? The TiAX v3? It's interesting they come stock with Bones bushings.

I was skating the TiKings.  They had a titanium axle and a hollow titanium kingpin.  They are pretty much impossible to find now.  I think they stopped making the kingpins.  There might not be an issue with the TiAx - titanium axle/steel kingpin.

I hate using bones bushings in Indy and other trucks.  they just never seem to fit quite right for me and squish out after a couple months.  Theeve however designed their trucks around bones bushings so they fit perfectly and last forever in them.

More interesting is that after a 2 year hiatus they now have the TiHanger trucks back in stock.  Solid one piece titanium hanger with the axle machined from the hanger.  No axle, no chance for it to slip.  Also, they are the lightest truck on the planet.  even lighter than tensor magnesium

http://shop.surplusskate.com/collections/theeve/products/tihanger-raw-raw

I'm on a bit more of a budget so I haven't thrown down the $150 for them......yet

heritage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #911 on: July 15, 2016, 01:06:59 PM »

I was skating the TiKings.  They had a titanium axle and a hollow titanium kingpin.  They are pretty much impossible to find now.  I think they stopped making the kingpins.  There might not be an issue with the TiAx - titanium axle/steel kingpin.

I hate using bones bushings in Indy and other trucks.  they just never seem to fit quite right for me and squish out after a couple months.  Theeve however designed their trucks around bones bushings so they fit perfectly and last forever in them.

More interesting is that after a 2 year hiatus they now have the TiHanger trucks back in stock.  Solid one piece titanium hanger with the axle machined from the hanger.  No axle, no chance for it to slip.  Also, they are the lightest truck on the planet.  even lighter than tensor magnesium

http://shop.surplusskate.com/collections/theeve/products/tihanger-raw-raw

I'm on a bit more of a budget so I haven't thrown down the $150 for them......yet

WHOA! $150! I've personally never skated Theeve but I've heard a lot of people rave about them over the years. I saw those TiKings on the Theeve webshop.

I've actually never used Bones bushings. I got turned onto Khiro conicals with the metal insert a few years ago and haven't used anything else since.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:08:46 PM by heritage »

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #912 on: July 15, 2016, 01:21:01 PM »
ive never had a set of bones meds squish on me... don't think I skate em tight enough to do it... arguably also may not be tight enough to get any benefit from them.

I will say, I tried out some after marker Indy bushings during the one time ive rolled around while nursing my ankle, and they were rad.  might have to give em a go for real when I'm back actually skating again.  seemed like a softer, but bouncy back, type of turn. that's my technical description. 
hardly art, hardly starving

Main

« Reply #913 on: July 15, 2016, 01:25:28 PM »
TiKing's are still being made: http://www.theevetrucks.com/product/Theeve-TiKing-Raw-Trucks

I've found the secret to Bones...just get hards. I don't have to worry about a break in period because I weigh 210lbs, but for others just tough it out and they will last pretty much forever once broken in. The mediums get squished eventually in pretty much every truck besides Theeve.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #914 on: July 15, 2016, 01:29:25 PM »
It took 2 years for the orc smiths to forge those in the fires on Mt. Doom. $150 is ridiculous though.
you never know about pre-cum 

BMCsteve

« Reply #915 on: July 15, 2016, 01:37:56 PM »
TiKing's are still being made: http://www.theevetrucks.com/product/Theeve-TiKing-Raw-Trucks

I've found the secret to Bones...just get hards. I don't have to worry about a break in period because I weigh 210lbs, but for others just tough it out and they will last pretty much forever once broken in. The mediums get squished eventually in pretty much every truck besides Theeve.

I swear, these were not on the site a week ago.  Just hit up my contact at their distribution office and if they have them in US, I'm going to swing by their office tomorrow and grab some

Main

« Reply #916 on: July 15, 2016, 03:18:26 PM »

I swear, these were not on the site a week ago.  Just hit up my contact at their distribution office and if they have them in US, I'm going to swing by their office tomorrow and grab some

Keep us posted on how they work out man!

N.L.

« Reply #917 on: July 15, 2016, 03:23:47 PM »
I might be stuck in my ways but I can't bring myself to ever deviate from Indy, Thunder or Ace.... maybe Krux.

Truck Wars!

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #918 on: July 15, 2016, 04:46:36 PM »
I might be stuck in my ways but I can't bring myself to ever deviate from Indy, Thunder or Ace.... maybe Krux.

Truck Wars!
Aren't they called Theeve because they used designs from other brands and brought them together? At least that's what I heard or believe.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #919 on: July 15, 2016, 05:00:42 PM »

Anyone here skating Ventures? It's the only other truck I could see myself skating other than those ^. I like how they make the wheelbase a little longer because of their geometry/axle placement. I had one set about ten years ago and the baseplates cracked within a few months. Looks like they haven't changed a thing with the baseplates. I guess you'd have to switch the bushings to get a more carvy turn out of them.

Check your kingpin and see if it's loose, that was the culprit with my last set of Ace's. I don't know why it would sound dull otherwise.

I'll check them when I start messing with the bushings. They're like 2 weeks old, they shouldn't be loose.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 05:05:25 PM by clamy »

Main

« Reply #920 on: July 15, 2016, 05:37:50 PM »

Truck Wars!
Aren't they called Theeve because they used designs from other brands and brought them together? At least that's what I heard or believe.

Yeah, they're basically an Indy Stage 7 maybe slightly different.

baravettski

• Rep: 40
« Reply #921 on: July 15, 2016, 09:49:39 PM »
I'm back on wobbly ass Ace's again. I just use the smaller truck washer underneath the bottom Bones to keep it seated somewhat properly, even though it slides all up and down that kingpin haha. No top washer this time around. Now this is the ultimate sweet spot, the bottom washer keeps it just slightly more stable while still having that wobble. No wheelbite and best turn on the planet.

I think I'm ready to give some Aces a try. Always back and forth between Thunder and Indy, I think I've been on Indy for about the last 3 years or so, but I have another homie that swears up and down that Ace are the best. I pretty much always ride 139's even with big boards, 149 always felt too wide so maybe those 44s will be the jam.

Main

« Reply #922 on: July 15, 2016, 10:11:29 PM »
I think I'm ready to give some Aces a try. Always back and forth between Thunder and Indy, I think I've been on Indy for about the last 3 years or so, but I have another homie that swears up and down that Ace are the best. I pretty much always ride 139's even with big boards, 149 always felt too wide so maybe those 44s will be the jam.

I think they'll work perfect for you man. They're all around fun fuckin' trucks that really stand out from the rest.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #923 on: July 16, 2016, 12:16:33 AM »
woah, theeves you say. i remember getting a set and they were so nice.

so stable but i had the V2 and i remember that problem with the bushings popping out and then the kingpin getting loose and wobbly(which was odd cause the guy who started theeve said on the berrics trajectory video on theeve that he quit indy to start theeve cause of the baseplate/kingpin and look at that).

for a 55mm hi truck i actually liked them cause they didnt feel the tallness they were. they felt really proper. got the warranty and got the v3 lows and they are good but the grind clearance is bad cause theyre lows(compared to indy lows, venture lo and thunder lows) but overall they are a nice set of trucks.

oh but theeve also have a sorta odd feeling base plate to board feel kind of casting compared to standard gravity cast trucks. like thunder or indy feel really solid and firm but theeves are like light and solid feeling on the deck.
yes

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #924 on: July 18, 2016, 09:14:49 AM »
first session on 149mm (put my actual bushings on them to avoid the brand new shit breakin) on a 8.25, holy shit that's perfect, should have made the jump 2 years ago ! thank you Slap !

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
« Reply #925 on: July 18, 2016, 09:16:38 AM »
now I want 149's again....

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #926 on: July 18, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »
first session on 149mm (put my actual bushings on them to avoid the brand new shit breakin) on a 8.25, holy shit that's perfect, should have made the jump 2 years ago ! thank you Slap !

truly is the magic number
hardly art, hardly starving

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #927 on: July 18, 2016, 09:29:20 AM »
now I want 149's again....
dat stability on landings bro...and my flip tricks are more powerfull too, love them ^^

Main

« Reply #928 on: July 18, 2016, 09:51:38 PM »
Anyone here ever try the Ace magnesium baseplates? How much lighter was your setup?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #929 on: July 18, 2016, 11:04:38 PM »
Aw man....so we're back to theeves?