Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 20466 times)

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #150 on: February 11, 2022, 09:32:14 AM »
in all seriousness if you had interest in making a jazz bass body in this style i would be interested in acquiring it

Willie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #151 on: February 11, 2022, 09:47:02 AM »
just finished this jazzmaster sorry for huge photo

Did I just see this on r/offset?

flannelslut

• Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #152 on: February 11, 2022, 01:57:21 PM »
in all seriousness if you had interest in making a jazz bass body in this style i would be interested in acquiring it

yea for sure, probably will do some basses this year and maybe try to work on a original shape.

Expand Quote
just finished this jazzmaster sorry for huge photo

[close]

Did I just see this on r/offset?

yea, figured i should share these with other nerds online instead of my 3 real life non musician friends.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #153 on: February 11, 2022, 02:37:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Those skateboard guitars are incredible!

Here is my set up:

I just sent that amp off to get serviced and my back up vox pathfinder shit the bed the next day  :-\ .

Thought about getting a fender champ to replace it since the lafayette is kind of a one trick pony but dame the silverface amps got a lot more expensive!
[close]

Nice stuff!  That strat has some character.  What is it?

First time I’ve looked at silverface amps in a few years, and good god you are not wrong.  I sold a deluxe reverb a few years back for 1k Canadian as I was short on cash, preferred my other amps, and gave a friend a good deal.  It hurts to see what they go for now, but I bought that amp and a 1959 guild ce-100d for $1200 combined a few years prior.  I still have and love the guild, so there is that.  The franz p90 pickups are spectacular.

Thanks. That strat is a funny story. In 2006 some dude sold it to my local guitar center as a custom shop relic'd strat. About a month later they realized it was more of a frankenstrat and lowered the price to 500, which was when I grabbed it. The neckplate has a custom shop serial number but who knows where that's from. The pickups appear to be genuine fancy-pants fender pups but again, who knows lol. The thing that drew me to the guitar was the neck, which is perfectly worn and suuuper comfy and smooth. I think it's a warmoth neck but who knows. Ive had it 15 years now and its the only strat I need

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #154 on: February 11, 2022, 04:07:08 PM »

This is so sick I had to bump it to this page as well.

Oaf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #155 on: February 11, 2022, 06:55:29 PM »
Thanks. That strat is a funny story. In 2006 some dude sold it to my local guitar center as a custom shop relic'd strat. About a month later they realized it was more of a frankenstrat and lowered the price to 500, which was when I grabbed it. The neckplate has a custom shop serial number but who knows where that's from. The pickups appear to be genuine fancy-pants fender pups but again, who knows lol. The thing that drew me to the guitar was the neck, which is perfectly worn and suuuper comfy and smooth. I think it's a warmoth neck but who knows. Ive had it 15 years now and its the only strat I need

That sounds like a dream, and a good buy.  I’m always a fan of value and a story.  Plus having a guitar that long makes it feel like family.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2022, 09:34:37 AM »
Both of those skateboard guitars are beautiful. At first glance, I thought they were Prisma guitars. If I ever can afford to blow big bucks on a guitar, it will probably be one of those.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2022, 11:27:23 PM »
I got nuthin’. Just giving this thread a poke.

animalflesh

« Reply #158 on: February 21, 2022, 03:57:00 PM »
I’ll bump again

Felt like recording another video

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #159 on: February 21, 2022, 06:49:57 PM »

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1425
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2022, 07:04:32 PM »
man, zoom grad school lectures have been great for getting back into playing. sitting and playing for 3 hours at a go, or rather, various segments within a 3 hour window a few days per week, has been excellent
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Andmoreagain

« Reply #161 on: February 22, 2022, 08:04:33 AM »
Talking about that strat got me curious about its actual provenance. As far as I can tell it's either 1990 American '62 reissue or a 1995 MIJ '62 reissue. I'm happy with either. This is per the serial on the neckplate though, so who knows. The pickups appear to be genuine fender custom shop, but weirdly the pots are all 500k.

I also tore into my '77 ibanez 335 copy. Turns out the bridge pickup is a gibson pickup of some kind, and not the super 70 that came in ibanez of those years. The neck is the original super 70 and sounds a lot better IMO. Might try to find one for the bridge.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #162 on: February 22, 2022, 08:09:34 AM »
I’ll bump again

Nice!  Rig rundown? 

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2022, 03:49:36 PM »
I’ll bump again

Thanks for sharing man!  Makes me want to go jam along with some songs.

Banned from the room

« Reply #164 on: February 25, 2022, 06:52:10 AM »
I need a Hendrix fuzz face. UI been playing since 91 I never wrote a solo till Covid era. I’m a bass player. I hear only bass and drums when I’m writing in my head. Now that I’m soloing and I got the muscle memory and shit I want to sound like Hendrix meeting discharge playing 90s nyhc 80s dbeat with with lots of rock and roll elements.

I hear that bias control in my head now.

My band is very much like biohazard and sheer terror with Johnny Thunders on lead guitar.

I wanna drip with 60s tone tho.

If I have any money left after I pay this security deposit I’m going to do this.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2022, 02:03:25 PM »
I need a Hendrix fuzz face. UI been playing since 91 I never wrote a solo till Covid era. I’m a bass player. I hear only bass and drums when I’m writing in my head. Now that I’m soloing and I got the muscle memory and shit I want to sound like Hendrix meeting discharge playing 90s nyhc 80s dbeat with with lots of rock and roll elements.

I hear that bias control in my head now.

My band is very much like biohazard and sheer terror with Johnny Thunders on lead guitar.

I wanna drip with 60s tone tho.

If I have any money left after I pay this security deposit I’m going to do this.

that's my bandmate and friend's favorite pedal. he's a total hendrix fanatic haha. also has a white upside hendrix strat for righties.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #166 on: February 25, 2022, 02:11:28 PM »
I have an Ibanez RG6 baritone. It made me realize baritones are my dream guitars. If I could get a superstrat in baritone I think that would be perfect.

TranquilElephant

• Rep: 6
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2022, 09:00:05 AM »

Just got this guy today, I’m stoked

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1409
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2022, 10:06:25 AM »
You guys got any tips for taking it up to the next level? I've always been a very rudimentary player, mostly strumming, not much scale work at all but I'm trying to get sharper and get a band of the ground

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2022, 10:38:53 AM »
You guys got any tips for taking it up to the next level? I've always been a very rudimentary player, mostly strumming, not much scale work at all but I'm trying to get sharper and get a band of the ground
To me for theory and chord/scale/arpeggio stuff, books and exercises over and over are the only way...
Youtube videos and online lessons bring too much scatter to the process. Nice to change your ideas some times though

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2022, 02:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
To me for theory and chord/scale/arpeggio stuff, books and exercises over and over are the only way...
Youtube videos and online lessons bring too much scatter to the process. Nice to change your ideas some times though

Maybe a mix of theory reading, YT lessons involving scales and triads, and learning real songs that apply the techniques you're trying to learn.

What kind of style are you aiming for?

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1409
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2022, 02:51:34 PM »
Nothing really intense. My friend and i are making vaguely "indie rock" stuff, i just want to get my skills up

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2022, 06:41:09 PM »
im in a similar situation. i really think learning songs is the best way to go, try different genres. just to get more comfortable in other time sigs, chords, etc.

Brguy

« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2022, 07:22:05 AM »
My E string saddle broke as I was going to change strings, I was checking the block behind the strat and it just fell off, now when I put it back on the spring just spits it out of the screw (I find it's actually kinda funny). At least I didn't open the new strings package before it happened, gotta wait until next week to get the new ones.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Maybe a mix of theory reading, YT lessons involving scales and triads, and learning real songs that apply the techniques you're trying to learn.

Youtube is only good if you want some concepts to get into your head of to look at specific exercises, otherwise it's theory books and time to memorize/apply those things you learned. I'm currently not practicing this pdf I got here which has a pretty good foundation, it starts on basic concepts, moves on to a shit ton of chords, inversions, 7ths and all that jazz and then it goes to scales and arpeggios, no YT lesson will give you that much structure, hell, sometimes not even a teacher will.

Banned from the room

« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2022, 08:25:11 AM »
I need to get tubes for my carvin 100xb soon.

I’m kinda bummed because I wanted to get a fuzz with my next check.

Can anyone help guide me to the proper tubes and shit.

I can’t afford my homies amp/guitar tech and got to figure out this myself.

Banned from the room

« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2022, 08:25:47 AM »
Correction

I need to figure this out with Pals

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 333
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2022, 08:33:52 AM »
My E string saddle broke as I was going to change strings, I was checking the block behind the strat and it just fell off, now when I put it back on the spring just spits it out of the screw (I find it's actually kinda funny). At least I didn't open the new strings package before it happened, gotta wait until next week to get the new ones.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Youtube is only good if you want some concepts to get into your head of to look at specific exercises, otherwise it's theory books and time to memorize/apply those things you learned. I'm currently not practicing this pdf I got here which has a pretty good foundation, it starts on basic concepts, moves on to a shit ton of chords, inversions, 7ths and all that jazz and then it goes to scales and arpeggios, no YT lesson will give you that much structure, hell, sometimes not even a teacher will.

What is it?
I played in punk/crust bands for years and just picked up guitar again. Want to get deeper into learning this time

Andmoreagain

« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2022, 09:07:02 AM »
flea, just pull the tubes and buy the same ones

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2022, 09:29:21 AM »
^^ This, but that being said…

Looks like four 6L6 tubes and 3 12AX7 preamp tubes

live, laugh, love

« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2022, 09:36:21 AM »
3 days ago I randomly started playing after a long while. My place is in disarray from doing repairs and painting. So a lot of my shit is packed up in the basement.

So last night I decided to check one of my acoustic's serial number to see when it was made cause I couldn't remember when I bought it. The guitar was made on March 24, 2014. Same day I started playing again only 8 years before. Total Bobby Puleo shit. I gotta message him and see what he makes of these numbers.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 10:25:22 AM by live, laugh, love »