Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309298 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
Re: bikes
« Reply #1650 on: July 31, 2020, 07:06:34 AM »
At the risk of being an asshole for saying this right now.

Wear a helmet, I know as skateboarders who have spent our entire live since picking up a board living recklessly we think we're invincible. We aren't, even the most experienced can go down. Add that with a mix of terrible drivers and it can be real bad.

Stay safe out there 
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2536
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1651 on: July 31, 2020, 08:48:45 AM »
Get well soon, FongStarr!
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1652 on: July 31, 2020, 10:07:43 AM »
Heal up quick, FongStarr. Fuck. I was just looking at the HellBomb photos on his IG the other day.

At the risk of being an asshole for saying this right now.

Wear a helmet, I know as skateboarders who have spent our entire live since picking up a board living recklessly we think we're invincible. We aren't, even the most experienced can go down. Add that with a mix of terrible drivers and it can be real bad.

Not an asshole thing to say. The only time I ride without a helmet is if I'm on a beach cruiser along the boardwalk. And even then, I feel iffy without it.

But whenever I'm on the road, the helmet is on. It's easy to stumble and catch yourself when on a skateboard, we're not physically strapped to it, like most of us on our bikes. Be safe out there dudes.

Let me know if FongStarr has a GoFundMe or something. I'll try to pitch in what I can.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1653 on: July 31, 2020, 10:42:58 AM »
hope you have a speedy and full recovery, fongstarr. head injuries are scary as fuck.

i'm broke as fuck but not broke enough to not whip out a few quid if it helps to cover some hospital bills.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1654 on: July 31, 2020, 10:44:47 AM »
^^^
on the gofundme, for sure. we can definitely make that nice things slap pals do for each other come alive

Damn, Fongstarr, I'm glad your big ass head recently got a helmet. When you're back on the computer, DM me if you ever wanna chat about brain injuries. I definitely had a gnarly one. Be kind to yourself, it takes time. much love, homie
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Jagr

• Rep: 117
« Reply #1655 on: July 31, 2020, 04:53:40 PM »
Get well soon FongStarr!

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1656 on: July 31, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »
Oh shit.  That's a lot of staples.  Best of luck Fongstar.  Hope you're back up and normal quick.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #1657 on: August 01, 2020, 03:14:38 AM »
In a couple of days I'm going to make a little bike trip to Switzerland. I really hate helmets but considering that even the Slap Pals are giving me a bad conscience I'll have to buy one. Wish you a good recovery, Fong!
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1518
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1658 on: August 03, 2020, 02:42:44 AM »
wishing a speedy recovery to fong!

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #1659 on: August 03, 2020, 10:41:22 AM »
our friend fongstarr slamed super hard on his bike, fell on his head and ended up with a head surgery. I'm not sure how he managed to make an instagram post cause he really looked bad. get well soon!

Thanks Matze for posting. I posted that photo on day 2. Not to get like any incentive but just to document it in these crazy 2020 times. I was told I was going to be fine on that day but the photo was taken by my wife the day before.

I really didn’t think this accident would hit Slap but this forum does show what solid people are on here and I thoroughly appreciate all the love. To put the accidentally bluntly, I hit a rock which cause me to flip over and hit my head and shoulder. I was sort of conscious after but I was in and out leading up to the skull and brain surgery. The odd thing is I ordered a bike helmet a month ago but didn’t know it was coming from Amsterdam so it ironically arrived the day of my accident which could have prevented all of this.

Overall the doctors tell me I should be fine but this is going to be a 3-4 month recovery. Each day is different with headaches, stomachs pains, eating issues, etc but I am alive and should be able to see my 1 year old daughter grow up before my eyes.

Thanks again Slap Pals and no need for the gofundme. I thankfully have insurance for all this and will use it to its fullest. 👍🤘🤛🤜
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1660 on: August 03, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »
oh goddamn, pica with the close call and fong with the total fuck-up. stay safe out there, pals.

as for the helmet ordering story: my mom crashed the first day she got her helmet, for the first time in roughly 20 years without a helmet, and if it wasnt for the helmet she wouldnt have walked away unharmed but severely injured. really sorry it didnt work like that for you, fong, but glad to hear you are alright, financially covered and in a good mood. hope its the last time we hear something like that here.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2536
« Reply #1661 on: August 03, 2020, 11:37:07 AM »
Expand Quote
our friend fongstarr slamed super hard on his bike, fell on his head and ended up with a head surgery. I'm not sure how he managed to make an instagram post cause he really looked bad. get well soon!
[close]

Thanks Matze for posting. I posted that photo on day 2. Not to get like any incentive but just to document it in these crazy 2020 times. I was told I was going to be fine on that day but the photo was taken by my wife the day before.

I really didn’t think this accident would hit Slap but this forum does show what solid people are on here and I thoroughly appreciate all the love. To put the accidentally bluntly, I hit a rock which cause me to flip over and hit my head and shoulder. I was sort of conscious after but I was in and out leading up to the skull and brain surgery. The odd thing is I ordered a bike helmet a month ago but didn’t know it was coming from Amsterdam so it ironically arrived the day of my accident which could have prevented all of this.

Overall the doctors tell me I should be fine but this is going to be a 3-4 month recovery. Each day is different with headaches, stomachs pains, eating issues, etc but I am alive and should be able to see my 1 year old daughter grow up before my eyes.

Thanks again Slap Pals and no need for the gofundme. I thankfully have insurance for all this and will use it to its fullest. 👍🤘🤛🤜

Thanks for the update. Hope your recovery is faster than the doc's prediction.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2276
« Reply #1662 on: August 03, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rest up! Glad you're alright after such a gnarly accident.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #1663 on: August 04, 2020, 01:54:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Glad you're recovering. Best to you, dude!

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1664 on: August 04, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »
  If i thought wearing a helmet would prevent concussions I'd wear one skating and everything.  I'd just leave it on.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1665 on: August 07, 2020, 06:52:04 AM »
Anyone have purchasing experience with velomine.com? Eyeing a wheelset as they are like the only place with built track wheelsets. I was even at LBS the other day and they couldn't get enough parts from their distributors to build me a set.

Not trying to get took for $800
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1666 on: August 07, 2020, 08:17:37 AM »
Anyone have purchasing experience with velomine.com? Eyeing a wheelset as they are like the only place with built track wheelsets. I was even at LBS the other day and they couldn't get enough parts from their distributors to build me a set.

Ordered the wheelset on my Surly through them. Fast shipping, wheels ran true out of the box, and they even came taped for tubeless which was a nice bonus. Actually ended up going with Velomine because of hearing some good reviews for their track wheelset selection and customer service.

But yeah, I agree their web design sucks and makes the site look sketchy. If it helps for peace of mind you can purchase most of their stuff through EBay for 20-40 dollars extra, but you’ve got an extra layer of customer protection that way.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1667 on: August 07, 2020, 08:26:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ordered the wheelset on my Surly through them. Fast shipping, wheels ran true out of the box, and they even came taped for tubeless which was a nice bonus. Actually ended up going with Velomine because of hearing some good reviews for their track wheelset selection and customer service.

But yeah, I agree their web design sucks and makes the site look sketchy. If it helps for peace of mind you can purchase most of their stuff through EBay for 20-40 dollars extra, but you’ve got an extra layer of customer protection that way.

Word, thanks. I saw they have an amazon store too for higher prices. Don’t always believe ebay/amazon ratings as they can easily be faked. Even though they do allow more protections.  I’ll swing it. Using a credit card so if it does go wild I can dispute it. Just wanted to avoid a headache if possible.

Once those get here I’ll have a new fixed build to post.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1668 on: August 09, 2020, 02:39:40 AM »
Probably talked about here before but anyone have opinions on clipless pedals? Road vs mtn ones or just recommendations in general?

Someone recommended them Shimano PD-EH 500. They are like half flat pedals and half clipless. Wonder if this is good enough or if this is half assing it and you need to just get full clipless pedals for a road bike. I just bought new pedals and toe clips for my road bike and after assembling it, it just didn’t look right and needs to only be on a fixie. 
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1669 on: August 09, 2020, 03:24:40 AM »
I’m a total newbie with bikes, my local sold me shimano PD-A520 with my shoes and I’ve been happy so far.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1670 on: August 09, 2020, 07:30:38 AM »
I’m a total newbie with bikes, my local sold me shimano PD-A520 with my shoes and I’ve been happy so far.

What kind of shoes are you using with those? That’s the other million dollar question I can figure out.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1671 on: August 09, 2020, 07:53:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What kind of shoes are you using with those? That’s the other million dollar question I can figure out.

I’m running these with my Shimano spd520
https://www.fizik.com/us_en/terra-powerstrap-x4.html

I’m running a gravel bike. Even though I’m mostly on asphalt. Scooped the shoes on amazon for $100 and the pedals for $50 from local. Setups been treating me well so far

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #1672 on: August 09, 2020, 08:42:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/shoes/shimano-m089-shoe
I got these, wide last. Got them -50% of. I didn’t liked the look of pure road shoes and pedals, and I’ve been told that it is easier to get familiar with mtb clips as they’re a lot looser to clip of than road ones 🤷
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #1673 on: August 09, 2020, 09:44:52 AM »
Probably talked about here before but anyone have opinions on clipless pedals? Road vs mtn ones or just recommendations in general?

Someone recommended them Shimano PD-EH 500. They are like half flat pedals and half clipless. Wonder if this is good enough or if this is half assing it and you need to just get full clipless pedals for a road bike. I just bought new pedals and toe clips for my road bike and after assembling it, it just didn’t look right and needs to only be on a fixie.
Mks sylvan’s and whatever $10 velcro straps you can find on amazon. I just ride in vans.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #1674 on: August 09, 2020, 11:07:46 AM »

I ride both the 2-bolt mountain style pedals and 3-bolt road pedals and cleats. For longer distances/faster riding the classic road style pedals are where it's at for me, nice to feel super locked in and they generally have less float or lateral movement, which helps with my knees. Might just be me though, I know some people swear by 2-bolt or platform pedals only.

Benefits of the 2-bolt cleats is that it's easier to mash in and out them quickly, and not have to worry about flipping them over to the right side all the time. Also the cleats are way smaller and the shoes tend to be comfier and easier to walk around in. Those PD-EH 500s kinda defeat the purpose in my opinion, since you're still flipping them over to the right side if you want to clip in. For a combo of wider riding platform and still being able to clip in on both sides, I'd go with something like the PD-M8120.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1675 on: August 09, 2020, 02:24:56 PM »
Thanks guys for the info. This is definitely one of those things I have to just do more search but hopefully I can narrow this down to the right pedal 👍
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1676 on: August 11, 2020, 08:28:23 AM »
All the best to Fongstarr; wishing him a speedy recovery too.

I have the PD-T8000, which I use on a gravel bike for day rides or touring. Sometimes wish I went all the way; but the flat side comes in handy at the end of the day when you want to go get groceries. I have the Giro R-Knit shoes in black, they look pretty ok (for cycling shoes) it's easy to walk in them. They dry quick too.

I just came back from a mini tour, did a third of the Velodysée with two friends. The Velodysée route is about 1300km from the very top of Britanny down to the border with Spain and follows the Atlantic coast whenever possible. It's a stunning ride, albeit a bit crowded in the summer. It's mostly flat too, so it's full of families on vacation and people starting touring (cycling is super popular this summer as you probably noticed) and people cruising to the beach but it's definitely manageable. We did five days, 100km each day or so. Spent the weekend at our friend's house (the purpose of the trip), then I came back to Nantes by myself but in a straight line this time. A nice 120km ride to close the week. We had a heat wave for most of the trip, last day was really brutal at 38°C (about 100°F) through 70km of dry fields with absolutely no shade. If we hadn't found a cemetary to fill up water we'd probably still be there drying on the ground. We managed to sneak in a couple short surf session too, wish I could surf better but it's hard to go all in at the end of a day on a saddle, I mostly spent my time watching my friend catch waves :)

Pretty happy on how I managed to fit everything to camp out "bikepacking style" without resorting to panniers. We didn't bring food/stove though. Only had a ton of snacks and a 2L camel back for water (which was filled up to three times a day).

A couple pictures :

And our route for those not too familliar with France :

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #1677 on: August 12, 2020, 09:16:56 AM »
is that one of those brooks rubber saddles? I've contemplated those... how is it?

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1678 on: August 12, 2020, 11:42:12 AM »
yep it's the carved c15. I really like it, I feel good spending 7+ hours on it (with a bib). It's quite narrow, it's definitely a sporty saddle, made for a forward riding position. One thing to note, the material used on top destroys your jeans. I have the classic B17 for my everyday bike, in everyday clothes.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1679 on: August 12, 2020, 03:09:41 PM »
I have a C15 on my touring bike, which I rode from LA to NY last year and it's the best investment I made for that trip.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.