Author Topic: bikes  (Read 309461 times)

skateboardnorth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
Re: bikes
« Reply #2940 on: January 31, 2023, 05:41:55 PM »
Ride in your shit as discs man. Buy Trek butt hole too.... many dentists in this thread.
Lol.  I am riding an 80's Bianchi as my road bike.  I tried to give you some technical points on why I personally would prefer disc brakes, but you are just to hard headed to even consider why people are moving to discs. 

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #2941 on: January 31, 2023, 06:33:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Ride in your shit as discs man. Buy Trek butt hole too.... many dentists in this thread.
[close]
Lol.  I am riding an 80's Bianchi as my road bike.  I tried to give you some technical points on why I personally would prefer disc brakes, but you are just to hard headed to even consider why people are moving to discs.

…but let’s not get started on press fit vs threaded bottom brackets

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #2942 on: January 31, 2023, 08:47:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

…but let’s not get started on press fit vs threaded bottom brackets

Hambini has entered the chat

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #2943 on: February 01, 2023, 05:42:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know, I spend 99.999% of my time riding an old Trek Antelope with rim brakes.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2944 on: February 01, 2023, 07:56:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

People are not moving or prefer discs. Its an industry imposition. See the new shimano groups: dura ace, ultegra and 105..all of them have not  rim brakes as an option. My mechanical friends things this is garbage...they ride and enjoy discs for MTBs, but for the roads is bullshit.

I have 3 road bikes and all of them are in rims. Shout out to Giant for being one of the only brand that still making new bikes with rim options.
Miss you Rusty Berings

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #2945 on: February 01, 2023, 08:17:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

dude shout out to the motherfucking trek antelope, i had one in this colorway as my main bike from when i was a kid to my early 20s and it was so solid. now a 92 trek antelope has become kind of a grail bike for me because i loved it so much.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2946 on: February 01, 2023, 08:53:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

People are not moving or prefer discs. Its an industry imposition. See the new shimano groups: dura ace, ultegra and 105..all of them have not  rim brakes as an option. My mechanical friends things this is garbage...they ride and enjoy discs for MTBs, but for the roads is bullshit.

This is just not true. Dura Ace, Ultegra and 105 all have options for rim brakes. AFAIK the only Shimano group without a rim brake option is their gravel groupset. For your first point, every single change to technology has been some combination of consumer demand and industry imposition. These didn't evolve through natural process; someone dreamed up an idea and then put it into production, and people choose whether or not they want to buy it. You could say the same thing about clincher tires or indexed shifting. The good news is that there are millions of old bikes kicking around with rim brakes, and by your own admission, major makers who are still producing rim brake bikes, so what on earth are you complaining about?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2947 on: February 01, 2023, 08:56:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
dude shout out to the motherfucking trek antelope, i had one in this colorway as my main bike from when i was a kid to my early 20s and it was so solid. now a 92 trek antelope has become kind of a grail bike for me because i loved it so much.

Nice! I've got a '93 with the wild dipped paint scheme. I initially put it together when I was frequently riding my bike to the bus stop to get to work, and I needed something I could comfortably put on the rack of the bus or leave at the transit station without being overly concerned about it disappearing, now it's nearly 10 years later and I've ridden it more than all of my other bikes combined. With a dynamo, full set of a fenders, a rear rack (with a Fairdale Skate Rack), and a basket, it's perfect to just grab and go any time I want to run an errand or take a little ride down to the water.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
« Reply #2948 on: February 01, 2023, 10:30:30 AM »
i was a mechanic for a long time and i spent 2000% more time fiddling with rim brakes than i did discs... sure bleeding hydraulics is no fun but you hardly ever need to do that. cable discs are the pinnacle for the lazy man.

the only remotely pertinent argument for rim brakes is in the peloton where i do think there is a bit of danger to have 150 of the fastest riders in close proximity with sharp ass hot spinning discs in the event of a crash, but again, that is not reality for 99.99% of riding.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #2949 on: February 01, 2023, 11:41:50 AM »
I rode rim brakes forever and only switched to disc brakes last year. Given everything I had ever heard, I really expected to see some drastic difference on descents and they honestly all feel the same to me.

That said, I'm a real slut for aesthetics and hate the look of cables so I will be sticking with disc brakes moving forward.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:45:15 AM by Yushin Okami »
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #2950 on: February 01, 2023, 01:45:29 PM »
That’s my same situation. My new build for next year will have mechanical disks after riding rim brakes for my entire life. internal routing will keep it clean and disks look cool.

I expect to notice a difference for maybe the first ride. Then I’ll forget all about it because I don’t obsess over details like that.

I will ride in rain and wet on occasion so I look forward to the increased performance or whatever.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #2951 on: February 01, 2023, 02:16:10 PM »
Figured I'd throw up my (dumb) build I put together late last year with all this talk of wires, cables, and brake aesthetics. Definitely a slight reduction in braking performance over my other bike with discs, but nothing too terrifying. This thing is a blast to zip around on, pretty light for a full steel frame as well, and clearance for 35+ front and rear (currently running 32s).

Joust Ostrich

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 700
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #2952 on: February 01, 2023, 02:55:30 PM »
Well this last page got hilarious.

I hate trek, but antelope appreciation is well deserved.  Had a blue 92.

My press fit BB can suck it.

Bike above here is pretty hot.
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #2953 on: February 01, 2023, 03:04:42 PM »
my next geared bike frame will definitely take disc brakes. i hate setting up rim brakes. i love working on a bike, i even like fiddling with the gearing, but i hate everything to do with rim brakes. the worst is when you still have the ones with actual springs instead of that metal thing holding the spring or whatever, and you lose that spring. good luck finding a replacement, unless you can sort of bend them yourself. you can basically throw away that brake. the whole aspect of making rim brakes fit your frame/fork right, down to having to use mad spacers or some shit to fixate them correctly, or having to take them off and on possibly (i.e. with u-brakes) whenever you want to install a rack or fenders, it's just so annoying. disc brakes just make more sense to me. i know there's annoying maintenance with those as well, but i'm just over dealing with rim brakes. especially when nowadays they seem to die out and there's either no name cheap ones from ali baba or absolutely overpriced high performance rim brakes. best chance for good ones seems to be ebay, or the used market but i'm done with buying used rim brakes for sure. i rode all the different kinds and imo they all suck from a maintenance standpoint. if performance is same with discs i can't wait to change to those.

@Enrico Pallazzo

that bike looks badass, kudos. 

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #2954 on: February 01, 2023, 03:54:01 PM »
yeah, trying to get rim brakes dialed can be annoying. the worst has to be center pull caliper brakes. you can get tektro v-brakes for like $15 and those always work just fine. i'm a nasty trash bike/90s frame devotee so i'm stuck with rim life. my only bike with disc brakes is a single speed mtb so it gets no love.
these are pretty magical for rim brake adjustment:

Chhow

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2955 on: February 06, 2023, 10:29:33 PM »
Figured I'd throw up my (dumb) build I put together late last year with all this talk of wires, cables, and brake aesthetics. Definitely a slight reduction in braking performance over my other bike with discs, but nothing too terrifying. This thing is a blast to zip around on, pretty light for a full steel frame as well, and clearance for 35+ front and rear (currently running 32s).

Great bike, and it's really light for a steel frame, need to do it with my Tomasso
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 08:09:00 PM by Chhow »

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #2956 on: February 07, 2023, 11:27:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Great bike, and it's really light for a steel frame

That's impressive — an older steel frame that can fit 30+ tires. I swear, my old steel can do 28 max. And even that's pushing it.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2957 on: February 07, 2023, 12:18:20 PM »
that is a nice looking bike, a great mix of new and old.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 12:32:23 PM by Beeda Weeda »

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2958 on: February 07, 2023, 12:53:33 PM »
I think I'm going to buy a Pinarello

Jacob DeGrosso

• Rep: 16
« Reply #2959 on: February 07, 2023, 01:39:24 PM »

I have a mid level Marvel from 2015. Out of every single wheeled vehicle I've owned or ridden it is the most well mannered and does it's thing better than all of them.  How they made something that is so steep and responsive be so stable is some kind of witchcraft cuz those two don't go together. Superb machine.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2960 on: February 07, 2023, 01:42:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a mid level Marvel from 2015. Out of every single wheeled vehicle I've owned or ridden it is the most well mannered and does it's thing better than all of them.  How they made something that is so steep and responsive be so stable is some kind of witchcraft cuz those two don't go together. Superb machine.

I rode a Dogma F8 briefly (about 8 months) when I worked for a high end road shop and it was by far my favorite bike I've ever ridden. I definitely don't have Dogma money but I made a good chunk selling my old road bike so I've been shopping for a little bit

Jacob DeGrosso

« Reply #2961 on: February 07, 2023, 03:15:00 PM »
One thing about high end road bikes is there's always a good market of stuff 1-3 years old that is damn near new for half the price.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2962 on: February 07, 2023, 03:18:08 PM »
One thing about high end road bikes is there's always a good market of stuff 1-3 years old that is damn near new for half the price.

oh definitely, I've spent countless hours buying/selling on craigslist, However, this will be a new bike for me and i'm an industry professional, usually I can get pretty decent deals on stuff

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2963 on: February 08, 2023, 04:32:15 AM »
does anyone have storage wall mounts for their bikes? What are we using?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2964 on: February 08, 2023, 09:41:32 AM »

There are obviously nicer solutions, but I've always used these:

Just find a stud and thread it in. Can use them to hang bikes off the ceiling or upright against a wall.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 812
« Reply #2965 on: February 08, 2023, 10:26:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There are obviously nicer solutions, but I've always used these:

Just find a stud and thread it in. Can use them to hang bikes off the ceiling or upright against a wall.

I'm thinking about doing this also...two bmx's is one too many in my flat...but too expensive to leave anywhere else

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2966 on: February 09, 2023, 03:59:31 AM »

I have one similar to this. Pinches between floor and ceiling
https://www.rei.com/product/870949/feedback-sports-velo-column-bike-stand
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

bartlaser

« Reply #2967 on: February 09, 2023, 07:04:13 AM »

Ive got this thing for my road bike.  Works just fine.
https://probiketool.com/products/universal-bike-wall-mount?variant=39753260073057

These are pretty neat too.
https://www.steadyrack.com/

The hook might be the ticket, though.  Way cheaper.  Maybe worth trying out before copping something expensive.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #2968 on: February 09, 2023, 12:07:08 PM »
Hook from the ceiling? I done on the wall but it would get around the seat post or top tube.

bartlaser

« Reply #2969 on: February 09, 2023, 01:18:30 PM »
Yup.  Just like BartHarleyJarvis suggested.

Ceiling-
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/61/1d/44/611d4457da885ce4f19d7bde89186ad6--bicycle-storage-unicycle.jpg

Or wall-
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/8d/09/9c/8d099c098a47b0226c2e4bd84be1e19d--bike-storage-hooks-garage-storage.jpg

And if it ends up not being the right solution, you have a cheap pirate costume for Halloween.
Swag.