Author Topic: Hipster tendencies  (Read 22517 times)

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
Re: Hipster tendencies
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2019, 08:23:48 PM »
I like IPA’s, and when I eat out I’ll ask the waitress if they have any IPA’s on draft. I’m not picky though. I’ll probably stop her at the first or second IPA.

I’d be down to raise a French Bulldog.

I have a bunch of mason jars in my cupboard, and I prefer drinking out of them to normal glasses.

I’ve been on my fucking phone constantly. Gotta quit that shit.

I don’t care for the NBA.

A lot of things make me ineligible to be a hipster though. I don’t dress trendy at all or with any slim clothes. I watch and play sports. I’ll eat a fucking fast food burger in a pinch. My music knowledge could be better. I don’t go to shows. I own a rifle. I made use of a degree in an actual subject.

hangontoyourego

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I built a coffee shop in my house and named it after one of our pet chickens. I mostly drink locally roasted, pour over coffee only through kemex paper filters. I have a lot of craft beers I keep stocked, I can bore most folks when talking about wine and have a pretty extensive anjeo tequila collection. I do a lot of JavaScript programming and have some involvement in start up community in austin.

But... I wear dad hats and fishing shirts and drive a big truck and I’m not being ironic about it. I smoke cigars, don’t smoke weed. And most importantly I’m stoked on the new tool cd.
[close]
I used to really enjoy cigars , H.  Upman and A . Fuente Hemingway was my jam . I used to spilt a box with friends old man . Bill Burr has been talking about cigars and makes me really want one
[close]

Fuente short story is my go too but I got turned on to aladino at a cigar bar in ybor in Tampa and wow. A little richer in a good way and packs a crazy good buzz. If you order a box online, highly recommend at same price point as fuente
Thanks , I’ll make note of that . There’s a cigar shop in town . Got to 1st get my humidor up & running properly 

wiggitywiggity

• Rep: 25
  • You Don't Gnome Me Man!
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2019, 11:41:59 PM »
Carry a Moleskine, have a mustache and ride a skateboard.
Like expensive coffee.
Listen exclusively to psychy garage rock and comedy podcasts.
Like to match my hat with my socks, and also to spots I skate.
Spend way too much time looking for vintage clothing on Depop, eBay, Etsy, thrift stores etc.
Oh yeah, and since I moved to LA, I rock a man bun now. I even hate who I’ve become.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2019, 03:00:29 AM »
Let’s see! 🤔

I wear scarves a bunch when not skating
I have a bunch of vinyl records and turntables and a mixer
I do like craft beer
I eat and cook mostly vegan food
I wear a beanie year round
I bicycle a lot to save the environment
I have a beard
I have expensive design furniture that I really like
I am environmentally conscious
I mix fancy and relatively expensive clothes and other stuff with cheap ass shit from army surplus shops and such
I’m an anti-consumerist consumer
My political views are very left and green
I’m drinking tap water from reusable metal bottles instead of coffee, tea or soft drinks
I like to write and draw on my Moleskine and paint for my own amusement even though I’m no good in any of them
I will not have any kids
I have a masters degree from a university and am a professional with a relatively high paying job
I’m an individualistic person who does not fit in any of his social circles because I’m so fucking individual
I really like Fjällräven
I really like hiking
I’ve been wishing I had glasses for like 15 years
I don’t watch TV, have Netflix or any of that shit
I don’t follow any sports except football European championships and world championships. So once every two years I’m kinda into it for a few weeks.
I sleep on a futon
I have a deep contempt towards popular culture
I hate everything “basic”
I bring my own lunches to work because the restaurant we have has shit vegetarian options and is generally too basic and boring
I don’t shave my nuts
I’m European
I speak a language that’s pretty much completely unrelated to and different than almost all other languages

So yeah, you could say that I’m pretty fucking hip and cool 😎 but like whatever man…

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Rep: 46
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2019, 05:16:55 AM »
I read Infinite Jest three years ago and it “totally changed my life.”

I curb any conversation I have at a party around to books so I can mention how I read Infinite Jest and it “totally changed my life.”

I have a reproduction of Picasso’s Girl Before a Mirror on my wall, and nothing pleases me more than when a guest comments on it and I get an opportunity to sigh and explain why Miró was the aesthetically superior Spaniard.

I make any girl I’m interested in watch Slacker so that we can complain about American hegemony together.

I used to drink IPA beer, but so many people drink it now I’d rather just drink National Bohemian.

I started smoking cigarettes in my early twenty’s, but instead of smoking American Spirits, as you’d expect, I decided on Marlboro Reds, figuring they were the less contrived choice.

I’ll always be adamant OK Computer is sonically the richest Radiohead album, but secretly I much prefer The Bends.

Generally speaking, I consider myself to be the smartest person in the room, despite the fact I went to a mid-level state school. (But ask anyone—I just wasn’t challenged enough, or else I would’ve been a shoo-in for summa cum laude.)

I tend to still use irony and cynicism to disguise my insecurities and anxieties, even though I understand how it’s totally passé to do so in 2019.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 05:24:19 AM by MichaelJacksonsGhost »

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2019, 01:47:23 PM »

I made use of a degree in an actual subject.

Well done sir. I was very amused by this.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2019, 03:36:57 PM »
the shoulder bag works so i do that      uh i think thats it.  I know who the Velvet Underground is.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2019, 04:36:44 PM »
I have a chrome messenger bag that was a gift from my friend who worked on that movie Smokin Aces,  and I have a sought after pursuit frame bike I paid a handsome some for.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2019, 04:59:41 PM »
I’ll always be adamant OK Computer is sonically the richest Radiohead album, but secretly I much prefer The Bends.

If you liked bends before OK computer came out to me it took a while to “get” OK computer.

Generally speaking, I consider myself to be the smartest person in the room

Might be the rooms...  ;D

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2019, 06:11:56 PM »
-I hold active memberships to a conservancy and a museum.
-I bought a re-issue "shaped" board because I "can catch flips better". Turns out that is not the case.
-Eat mostly vegan, but won't use the label, since that would be too easy.
-Have records and a decent turntable/integrated amp. Keep thinking I should upgrade to a tube amp for that rich "warm" sound.
-Most of my furniture is Danish mid-century teak.
-Graduated, with a useless degree, from a top tier university. Work an ironically underpaid underskilled job.
-Not political, but have opinions on what's best for poor people.
-Keep planning on taking a few weeks off from work to start my novel and screenplay. 20 years later and haven't written the first word.
-Had a motorized standing desk at work. I always try to insert, "You don't have a standup desk?" to co-workers during office cubicle visits.
-Reprinted all the existing paper signage in my department with Futura or Helvetica typeface to match the placards in the hallways.
-Own a touring bicycle with pretentious accessory kit: Brooks saddle, Honjo fenders, shellacked cotton handlebar tape, and downtube Simplex shifters (since I prefer to "feel connected" to the bike/road).

Rick_Kane

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2019, 06:53:18 PM »
Taking infants and toddlers into breweries seems pretty hip these days. The "craft" brewery next door to me even offers stroller parking. Chubby, bearded new-dads in skinny jeans can get drunk on 18% DIPAs while his toddler runs around bothering people and his infant screaming like it was trapped in a brewery. Meanwhile, his wife is at the Mexican place next door, pounding tequila and flirting with minority busboys. It's okay for him to drive home though, since he only had three beers. This same guy would get pissed at someone for smoking weed in a park within 50 yards of his shitty offspring.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2019, 07:20:12 PM »
Don’t forget your tote Rick

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2019, 09:12:35 AM »
-I hold active memberships to a conservancy and a museum.
-I bought a re-issue "shaped" board because I "can catch flips better". Turns out that is not the case.
-Eat mostly vegan, but won't use the label, since that would be too easy.
-Have records and a decent turntable/integrated amp. Keep thinking I should upgrade to a tube amp for that rich "warm" sound.
-Most of my furniture is Danish mid-century teak.
-Graduated, with a useless degree, from a top tier university. Work an ironically underpaid underskilled job.
-Not political, but have opinions on what's best for poor people.
-Keep planning on taking a few weeks off from work to start my novel and screenplay. 20 years later and haven't written the first word.
-Had a motorized standing desk at work. I always try to insert, "You don't have a standup desk?" to co-workers during office cubicle visits.
-Reprinted all the existing paper signage in my department with Futura or Helvetica typeface to match the placards in the hallways.
-Own a touring bicycle with pretentious accessory kit: Brooks saddle, Honjo fenders, shellacked cotton handlebar tape, and downtube Simplex shifters (since I prefer to "feel connected" to the bike/road).

I've had a motorized standup desk at work for about a year and have literally never used it once.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2019, 03:54:03 PM »
Like expensive coffee.
Spend way too much time looking for vintage clothing on Depop, eBay, Etsy, thrift stores etc.
Oh yeah, and since I moved to LA, I rock a man bun now. I even hate who I’ve become.
The moleskin is a big one lol.
I carried one for like a year when I was 19 and I’d right these truly awful song lyrics while I was at work.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2019, 12:07:30 AM »
I use a sp404 and turntable to make shitty hip-hop beats, the ultimate hipster setup.

I still wear Carhartt double fronts despite not having a manual labor job for a couple of years, what can I say they are the best pants.

Edit: I’ve been rocking a mullet that’s the worst fuckin’ one.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:09:39 AM by offkilter »

Seelew

• Rep: 0
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2019, 01:41:44 AM »
-I own a VCR and use it sometimes
-I shoot photos on film occasionally
-Pretty much only drink IPAs
-i wear glasses, although I wear them to see better
-The biggest one would be that I do woodworking entirely by hand without power tools and have a collection of old timey hand tools

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2019, 07:35:48 AM »
I refuse to watch modern super hero movies and consider them to be for normies[/]
The dark night is prolly the last time I saw a super hero
Movie.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -66
  • ???
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2019, 07:49:45 AM »
how are we not making threads about millennials tho

its cus we do most the shit millennials do low key lol

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2019, 09:47:02 AM »
I like buying shoes that I never see anyone in my local area wearing.
I used to collect vinyl.
When I drank alcohol I was about “interesting” or dark beers.
For years in my 20s I drank my coffee black.
What’s some bullshit hipster tendencies you have?

I also have no idea what really defines a hipster and may or may not be friends with them but…

I drink good coffee black and heady IPAs because they taste good, not trying to impress anyone. Being proud of drinking cheap watery beer is more hipster at this point I think.

If you’re a bit of sneakerhead who is not rich, like me, what you’re describing is the only way to be. Keeping up with the hottest Js etc is dumb and unaffordable. I buy the different and just slept on shit and see more sneakerheads checking them out.

I’m pretty sure I’m not a hipster, but then again a couple weeks ago a girl from Philly asked what I did and I told her I work for a coffee roaster in Brooklyn and she laughed and said it was the most hipster so there’s that
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:51:09 AM by VHS ERA »

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2019, 09:58:04 AM »
Expand Quote
I like buying shoes that I never see anyone in my local area wearing.
I used to collect vinyl.
When I drank alcohol I was about “interesting” or dark beers.
For years in my 20s I drank my coffee black.
What’s some bullshit hipster tendencies you have?
[close]

I also have no idea what really defines a hipster and may or may not be friends with them but…

I drink good coffee black and heady IPAs because they taste good, not trying to impress anyone. Being proud of drinking cheap watery beer is more hipster at this point I think.

If you’re a bit of sneakerhead who is not rich like me, what you’re describing is the only way to be. Keeping up with the hottest Js etc is dumb and unaffordable. I buy the different and just slept on shit and see more sneakerheads checking them out.

I’m pretty sure I’m not a hipster, but then again a couple weeks ago a girl from Philly asked what I did and I told her I work for a coffee roaster in Brooklyn and she laughed and said it was the most hipster so there’s that

Sounds like something a hipster would say.

As far as the sneaker shit. I buy all the slept on shit that's on the sale rack. Sneaker people always asking me about my shoes. "they were on the sale rack of the DTLR?"
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 735
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2019, 12:59:16 PM »
There's a scene in the movie "Zero Charisma" where a nerd barges a hipster party. He looks around and there are white guys with little beards everywhere. There's a close-up on a cello-wrapped shoulder with a fresh tatoo of a Penny-farthing, then a quick cut to a guy sitting on a couch strumming a ukulele. Those pictures are worth a thousand words imo.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2019, 06:03:39 PM »
Like expensive coffee.

Fuuuck that’s awesome.

Cool people acting cool is fine by me. They don’t strike me as the mass shooter type, so that’s aight in my books.

I’ve got a stache now but mostly because I got scaled alopecia on my face now and a beard looks haggard in result.
My user name probably used to qualify but I don’t drink anymore so it’s more on the poser end of the spectrum.
I hang out and drink kombucha at pie bars while working on field guide quarterlies so that puts me in the Douche box.

Mostly, like everyone else in this thread, I masturbate in front of the mirror.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2019, 10:36:54 PM »
how are we not making threads about millennials tho

its cus we do most the shit millennials do low key lol

It’s a fair point, Millenial is the baby boomer’s word for hipster.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

hangontoyourego

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2019, 06:01:24 AM »
I have a chrome messenger bag that was a gift from my friend who worked on that movie Smokin Aces,  and I have a sought after pursuit frame bike I paid a handsome some sum for.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2019, 01:22:40 PM »
Carry a Moleskine

didn't realize this was one guilty

so i just had a really stressful week because i was starting to get stomach aches from my pour over coffees and i ended up switching to french press for my morning coffee(s). still going with cappuccino after lunch. apparently the chemex filters pull out all the oil and leave too much acid for my stomach. taste so good though.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2019, 01:53:59 PM »
I definitely qualify as a hipster and about 5 years ago I just sorta turned it in to a joke. It’s kinda funny when your with a group of people (especially gay men 35+) who start calling people they dont like hipsters and then you refer to yourself as a hipster. They’re generally like “No! Your not a hipster! Why would you say that?”.

It’s hard to describe but it somehow helped me get over the last bit of self hatred/internalized homophobia that I had. I always joked and told people that Hipster was just the new Faggot because it was a catch all term you could call someone from your car or under your breath whose appearance you didnt like.

Edit: FROTHY: Corgis are 1000x more hipster then french bulldogs
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 01:58:52 PM by CrumblingInfrastructure »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2019, 04:34:00 PM »
I buy Nescafé instant coffee and prefer it over anything else. My laptop is a hand-me-down Dell from a friend’s brother who works in IT. All of my music is digital, and I listen to it on my iPod that was picked from an electronic recycle dump. Am I a hipster?
I refer to this as a pre-apocalyptic lifestyle. It's a weird place to be.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Rick_Kane

« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2019, 05:55:24 PM »
The definition of hipster seems to change every year or so. Right now, I think being hipster is to be fully mainstream. Like listening to Taylor Swift un-ironically. Pitchfork.com is a good barometer of this. They used to focus only on indie and underground music, now their focus is on mostly mainstream acts while still maintaining that pretentious vibe.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2019, 03:43:17 AM »
The definition of hipster seems to change every year or so. Right now, I think being hipster is to be fully mainstream. Like listening to Taylor Swift un-ironically. Pitchfork.com is a good barometer of this. They used to focus only on indie and underground music, now their focus is on mostly mainstream acts while still maintaining that pretentious vibe.

I remember Pitchfork before it was cool. Or was it cool back then and it's not cool now?

It probably is more hipster to be mainstream since the mainstream wants to be indie, right?

Fuck, that's what I'm saying, I can't keep this hipster shit straight anymore.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2019, 04:31:53 AM »
I have a chrome messenger bag that was a gift from my friend who worked on that movie Smokin Aces,  and I have a sought after pursuit frame bike I paid a handsome some for.

Please say it's one of these: Ciocc Enemy, Cinelli Laser, Landshark