Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797138 times)

maggotspawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7440 on: February 15, 2024, 11:27:10 AM »
How are the Spitfire Sapphires? How are they compared to Dragons?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7441 on: February 15, 2024, 12:23:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Apologies if this has been discussed, but I'm curious if anyone has experience using Powell Dragons (or the Bones equivalent) as filmer wheels?

I'm going on a trip and don't want to have to bring two setups/sets of wheels and it sounds like these would be a pretty decent option for both skating and filming. I'm just not sure if they're smooth and quiet enough to be comparable to something like a Spitfire cruiser wheel that I usually would film with, but assume they're quieter than a normal F4 or something.
[close]
[close]

A little off topic now, but I ended up riding a set of 54mm Dragons on this trip and as much as I was hoping I'd love them, I did not. They were great as a replacement for having both a normal setup and a filmer board, but it just felt kind of like a shitty version of both. A bit too loud and small for filming (probably just because I'm used to a monster truck filmer board) and too soft and..."springy sounding" for a regular board (I'm used to small heavily used F4s).

Was kinda hoping I'd love them and just ride these wheels forever, but unfortunately it's not for me.
[close]

I think the end conclusion for us is start having 3 completes.  ;D
[close]

I'm hovering at two right now...a long WB board with rails, wide trucks, 54mm x97s, it's 'the curb' board, without being an unruly ugly floppingflips shaped curb board and a more tech/plaza board (shorter wb, small 101 classics, ventures; tho I could get away with x99s here).
[close]

haven’t tried x99s, but small 101 classics, in the perfect circumstances, seems like such a pleasant, luxurious experience.
wrong circumstances and i’d want to go home. immediately.
but some decent brick!? i love it
[close]

After being back on 103s stfs /101a spits for close to two weeks (about a week each), I'm struggling to enjoy the x97s / x99s except on the most crustyliscious of spots...everything feels dead and slow after...however skating to the spots is a different story....
[close]

as everyone here has read me whine about, so many times: venture lo’s = 51s = walking to the spot. and when i’m at ‘the spot’ it is just me, an old man, bailing flatground trick attempts….well, that starts to feel a little bleak. the ride to the spot is more the thing.
i do not have high hopes for these 52 x97s. i’ll know this weekend.
[close]

turns outs the 52 x97s are pretty alright!
the white is decent, not cheap wheel white, not potato brown.
i like the v1 shape.
wheelbite with the lo’s is pretty savage
the formula is really decent: little backside 180 guerrero slides can be the eject button with soft wheels, these do fine. i only skated them flatground, and they did take some of the sting out of the session, which is very welcomed.
i did let myself get talked into setting them up
graphics out, by the punk-ass 5 year old i was hanging with, but that’s on me.
[close]

Nice, enjoy them!

I setup my black 54mm V6 x99s again, coming off white x99s and damn, the black x99s are so much harder feeling than the white x99s, either that or I'm crazy...they def feel harder than spit 99s as well...super weird.
[close]

black wheels look sick tho.
[close]

Gleaming the cube told us that the black wheels are a rougher but faster ride. Yahboe or whatever his name was said it when he hooked up the board that me and my friends hated.
So must be idk tho.

I do know I'm on the right wheel again. I guess conical 58s 97a are also my shit. I had 56s in 2016. Different duro tjo. Way faster grinds than the radial but they're both dope af.

Very very happy rn. Except the fuckin snow storm that's about to hit. Sigh
[close]

i was super stoked on the idea of setting up some extra rad board.
but then what they setup was a little….movie was great tho.

I love that flick. It made me feel like there's a way to reach a common respect between us and the jerks who was against us.
A well loved actor skating in the theater! And he's a hero too! We gonna break through and then the world will let us slide and I'll be able to roll forever and be treated like an actual artist.

Nope! Didn't even effect my dad. Lol.

My dad was like Rodney's x1000000. Gonna beat that ass with a yardstick and cut the bloards up with a saw nice and slow and loud underneath your bedroom window just to let you know it's the reason you suck.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7442 on: February 15, 2024, 12:29:43 PM »
My step ma's heart was melted by the Simpsons. She bought me mad Bart shit. I was like her Bart I guess. I was thankful for the Simpsons when it dropped. My family was basically that.
I still got some of the stuff she skate stuff she bought me.

Her sister wanted to try and send me out west to sf. She said she asked the older homies. I was like no. Lol. Wtf?!? Ha stupid ass kid.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7443 on: February 15, 2024, 04:37:05 PM »
How are the Spitfire Sapphires? How are they compared to Dragons?

I haven't seen or tried them, but a few people have.  This might be the best comment on them so far for you:

Tried sone Spitfire sapphires at the park today and was pleasantly surprised. Dude had them and was pretty into them. I only rolled around a bit and did a couple of 180s slides but they felt unique in a good way. Soft but not gummy and held their speed. He said he dug them on shit surfaces also. Pretty sure, nose/ tail/ blunt sidles would be pretty hard do to slide on them...

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

frtzgn95

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7444 on: February 17, 2024, 03:13:24 PM »
can anyone who uses dragons answer me? i would like to buy one. here is my question: how durable are they, did anyone measure it? i would think to buy a 54mm v1 shape. it is the skinnier one and i want it coz i think it slides easier. how much will it take to wear down to under 50 on daily riding? do i need do buy a new pair every month?

i just hate to skate to spots with hard wheels. walking is almost easier. i want softer wheel.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7445 on: February 18, 2024, 07:02:53 AM »
Today I skated my X99 for the last time, great wheels but I'm way too used to F4 99.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #7446 on: February 18, 2024, 10:40:41 AM »
can anyone who uses dragons answer me? i would like to buy one. here is my question: how durable are they, did anyone measure it? i would think to buy a 54mm v1 shape. it is the skinnier one and i want it coz i think it slides easier. how much will it take to wear down to under 50 on daily riding? do i need do buy a new pair every month?

i just hate to skate to spots with hard wheels. walking is almost easier. i want softer wheel.

they wear down faster than f4s for sure

frtzgn95

« Reply #7447 on: February 18, 2024, 12:02:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

they wear down faster than f4s for sure

thanks. it sounds really fast.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7448 on: February 18, 2024, 02:42:59 PM »
Today I skated my X99 for the last time, great wheels but I'm way too used to F4 99.
aight thats the last sign to just go with x97s
i think its a fools errand to try and replace f4 99a
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7449 on: February 18, 2024, 03:20:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

haven’t tried x99s.
haven’t spent that much time on the dragons.

first few rides on x97s and i’m impressed. haven’t tried them at a skatepark, but they are nice in the road

Jack Locke

« Reply #7450 on: February 18, 2024, 04:32:41 PM »
Just set up some Powell Nano Cubic 58mm 97a. Coming from well worn 60mm Spit 97a conical fulls. Absolutely loved my Spits, these felt really good too. Not sure about smooth parks, but I'm guessing decent. These are on Venture 6.1 with Real risers. Like how they open up the axle. Even better power slide feel

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7451 on: February 18, 2024, 04:59:21 PM »
I’m rocking some old beige conical 99F4s. I got 3 X formula wheels on ice I’d like to try as soon as I’m done with this deck. V6 97 and 99. It’s rough as hell anywhere outside the park here. I’m impatiently waiting to try the softer duro to see if it really makes skating rough terrain feel smooth(er).

Finally skated my x97s… and I’m impressed… these dampen, for the lack of a better word, the rough ground if that makes sense… I don’t slow down or feel every vibration from the rough ground. As opposed to F4s where I just get tired of pushing and say fuck it. Very grippy and u have to put some muscle in to slide these wheels unless you’re going Mach 10. Kinda slow on smooth surfaces. I’m sold on these and of the x99s feel good too, and I don’t really think I need 99s, I’m done with buying spitfire’s trash ass wheels.

jums

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7452 on: February 18, 2024, 05:00:53 PM »
I’m rocking some old beige conical 99F4s. I got 3 X formula wheels on ice I’d like to try as soon as I’m done with this deck. V6 97 and 99. It’s rough as hell anywhere outside the park here. I’m impatiently waiting to try the softer duro to see if it really makes skating rough terrain feel smooth(er).

Finally skated my x97s… and I’m impressed… these dampen, for the lack of a better word, the rough ground if that makes sense… I don’t slow down or feel every vibration from the rough ground, and actually entices me to push harder and skate faster as opposed to F4s where I just get tired of pushing and say fuck it. Very grippy and u have to put some muscle in to slide these wheels unless you’re going Mach 10. Kinda slow on smooth surfaces. I’m sold on these and of the x99s feel good too, and I don’t really think I need 99s, I’m done with buying spitfire’s trash ass wheels.

Basically for me, x97s make it less tiring to skate rough ground and F4 99s make it more tiring due to the feel.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7453 on: February 18, 2024, 10:40:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

haven’t tried x99s.
haven’t spent that much time on the dragons.

first few rides on x97s and i’m impressed. haven’t tried them at a skatepark, but they are nice in the road
X99 are great if you hit street and no perfect ground plazas. In my case I skate places with pretty much perfect ground with the exception of Stalin.
Put back my trusty CF 99 53mm and couldn't be happier with the sole exception that while doing it I realized that 4 bearingd are fucked :(
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

• Rep: 301
« Reply #7454 on: February 22, 2024, 08:25:28 AM »
Anyone been on Dial Tone wheels lately? Especially interested in the 101a's. How are they?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7455 on: February 22, 2024, 06:43:09 PM »
Anyone been on Dial Tone wheels lately? Especially interested in the 101a's. How are they?

Rode these for a bit while I was on a Classics phase, standard Creative wheels, serviceable but not outstanding, solid wheel for the the $25 range but at full price I'd top up the few dollars for Bones X97 / X99 or Spitfire.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7456 on: February 22, 2024, 11:05:14 PM »
Tried some 99 and they were ok, nothing to go crazy about but if you know what F4 or XWhatever are you'll never be fully satisfied.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

rikki

« Reply #7457 on: February 23, 2024, 12:02:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rode these for a bit while I was on a Classics phase, standard Creative wheels, serviceable but not outstanding, solid wheel for the the $25 range but at full price I'd top up the few dollars for Bones X97 / X99 or Spitfire.

Ha! I just got those EXACT wheels (54mm, 101A, "classic" shape). Coincidence? I think not.

Anyway, yeah, I'm of course aware of the superiority of F4 and the best Bones formulas (X-Formula, SPF) over others, but still, it's interesting to try something different. Looking forward to riding these on smooth concrete.

Mn_Mike

« Reply #7458 on: February 23, 2024, 12:24:07 PM »
I've become a big fan of OJs. I loved Spitfire wheels for years. Especially the regular Classics. OJs are just so fucking fast. Little slippery though.

rikki

« Reply #7459 on: February 24, 2024, 12:01:40 AM »
I've become a big fan of OJs. I loved Spitfire wheels for years. Especially the regular Classics. OJs are just so fucking fast. Little slippery though.

Big fan of OJ Elite Hardline 99s on smooth surfaces. Fast as f*ck, awesome for bowls/transition. No issues with grip for me.

Obijuan91

• Rep: 21
« Reply #7460 on: February 29, 2024, 09:24:38 PM »
Are bones side cut wheels harder to flip?

onkalo

• Rep: 28
« Reply #7461 on: February 29, 2024, 10:50:19 PM »
Sidecuts (v5) feel to me like a slightly conical spitfire classic. Bought them becuse I tought that they’re similar to radial slims. I like them a lot.

rikki

« Reply #7462 on: February 29, 2024, 11:24:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Sidecuts (v5) feel to me like a slightly conical spitfire classic. Bought them becuse I tought that they’re similar to radial slims. I like them a lot.

My favorite wheel shape from Bones. Nice and slim, not too conical or clunky.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7463 on: March 01, 2024, 12:43:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

My favorite wheel shape from Bones. Nice and slim, not too conical or clunky.

I like that they are reasonably slim for a 54mm, slightly rounder edge would be nice, but this is the closest we get to Radial Slims in 2024.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #7464 on: March 05, 2024, 08:09:19 PM »
Went through the last couple pages of this thread and am I correct in assuming that X Formula 99a wheels are the best choice for skate parks + occasional rougher street spots?

I finally tried dragon wheels (v6 93a) from a friend and while they felt great riding around in a crusty parking lot, I wasn’t so happy with the slide and as others have noted, aren’t optimal for park skating. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

rikki

« Reply #7465 on: March 05, 2024, 11:49:42 PM »
Went through the last couple pages of this thread and am I correct in assuming that X Formula 99a wheels are the best choice for skate parks + occasional rougher street spots?

I finally tried dragon wheels (v6 93a) from a friend and while they felt great riding around in a crusty parking lot, I wasn’t so happy with the slide and as others have noted, aren’t optimal for park skating. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Opinions vary, but as a potentially happy medium, yes, the Bones X99s might just be the best wheel for a mixture of smooth and rough spots. Mind you, they're a compromise, not a synergical solution -- there's no such thing as a perfect all-around wheel. F4/SPF rule over X-Formula on smooth terrain, but on rough ground the X's take the cake.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7466 on: March 06, 2024, 05:19:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Opinions vary, but as a potentially happy medium, yes, the Bones X99s might just be the best wheel for a mixture of smooth and rough spots. Mind you, they're a compromise, not a synergical solution -- there's no such thing as a perfect all-around wheel. F4/SPF rule over X-Formula on smooth terrain, but on rough ground the X's take the cake.

haven’t yet tried the x99s.
bitched wildly about the dragons. now enjoying the dragons more (still haven’t gotten the powerslide slowdowns i want, but also i’m barely skating in a way that is recognizable to my time on a board previous to now: i’m not just trying tricks, im riding around and occasionally doing what erroneously call back 180 Guerrero slides, and just in general up in my head trying to figure out where i got off course….and then i try and fire up the time machine and attempt a nollie flip or what have you. dragons are the best for the aimless cruising).
hopped on a different setups, f4 52 lock-ins vs x97 52 v1’s. much better bearings in the lock-ins. x97s were really easy and didn’t impede any lazy 180 tricks.

none of this was in a park on smooth cement, all asphalt. the bones formulas are noticeably quieter, faster, and gentler, than the f4s, at that particular spot.

maybe this a dumb analogy, but for me, indy’s can ‘do-it-all’ and i know i am due to give them a turn on one of my cobbled together attempts at unearned gains, buuuuuut i also remember that that i usually take the indy’s off and go back to venture or thunder a week later. because although venture and thunder are possibly more limited in what they offer, what they do offer, i like more, for the way i skate.
certain attributes go better with some situations.

in summation (and i apologize), all the wheels are good. everything is good. we just now have more options to dial in on what we spend the most time with, terrain wise.

LeDave

• Rep: 6
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #7467 on: March 06, 2024, 06:40:00 AM »
I'm using Spitfire 53mm full conical 99du right now. I almost died running through a pebble on the sidewalk. I am thinking of bumping down the hardness, what do you guys recommend for someone that is kind of new and still learning? I often ride on the street and sometimes at the skate park.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7468 on: March 06, 2024, 07:02:38 AM »
r/skateboarding
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LeDave

• Rep: 6
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #7469 on: March 06, 2024, 07:11:22 AM »
r/skateboarding

B-b-b-but I like it here, everyone is so friendly!  :D