Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547007 times)

Frank and Fred and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

TumKayo

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #2340 on: October 31, 2020, 06:54:16 PM »
length and wb? My 9” pop w 15” wheelbase is just too much for street

33” long, 15” wb. swapped to 169s

It’s definitely easier to ollie and trick (Bs & fs shuv, heelflip, thats my current bag o tricks) than my 8.8 Welcome Effigy shape, which is 32.5” long and 14.6” wheelbase. I bought both those decks with transition in mind. Seems like the big popsicle is better for tricking and it feels like it will be more stable in the bowl too. Best of both worlds.

I’m a big guy, so I adapted to the wheelbase quickly and now feel more comfortable. In fact, I put those 159s and my cruiser wheels on my street baller, and switched to the 14.75 WB and loving that now too.

No hot rodding in the 9” popsicle with 169s, this deck is a full shape for sure. It’s like 9.05” all the way around. I like that.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 08:11:12 PM by TumKayo »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2341 on: October 31, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »
Oh nice. I used 169 Ti on my 9” 15” wb 33” length and it was still just feeling cumbersome. Even ace55.  Everything lower wb feels more reactive. I could pop it but I died out after a bit. 6’4” 200, not sure how big you talking @TumKayo

Dang that street baller looks so much shorter

TumKayo

« Reply #2342 on: October 31, 2020, 07:42:23 PM »
Oh nice. I used 169 Ti on my 9” 15” wb 33” length and it was still just feeling cumbersome. Even ace55.  Everything lower wb feels more reactive. I could pop it but I died out after a bit. 6’4” 200, not sure how big you talking @TumKayo

Dang that street baller looks so much shorter

I’m shorter than you at 189cm, like 6’2.5” ish, but about 225lbs, sometimes a lil more. I’d bet it’s more because I just got back into skating a few weeks ago, after 8 years, and I wasn’t accustomed to anything in a while. So making these changes doesn't disrupt much lol. I’m constantly swapping boards and trying to do the same stuff on each, and I definitely notice big differences between shapes, but I’m not used to anything soo..

I am noticing the 169s make the 9” popsicle feel significantly heavier. That long wheelbase, every gram counts in physics. It ollies higher though, that heft moves well with a good snap. Otherwise, tricks felt better with the 159s, without a doubt. I got this board for the ultimate transition set up that can still do some tech if you hustle it. This is perfect. And the St Baller tapers down to well under 9” at the axles, so 159s and cruiser wheels feels awesome on that board.

My 9.125 primitive egg on Thunder 151s definitely feels more technical and accurate than the 9” popsicle. That egg feels more like an 8.5 pop

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2343 on: October 31, 2020, 07:43:21 PM »
Expand Quote

Slippery/crusty spot big boy to get me through the winter months pretending I'm Knox or Dressen.

-Dressen Slick. An nostalgic impulse buy last year that I finally set up.
-Indy 159 standards, 88a conical aftermarkets. 1/8" risers, long hardware for period correct authenticity.
-OJ Nomads, 54 95a. Was holding out for the 97a F4s but got antsy. Mix matched bearings.
[close]
That same shape in an SMA everslick was my first skateboard almost 30 years ago I couldn't love that setup more.. Nicely done holmes.

Looks flat, looks dope.
While back Kader had a few tricks on Chico’s setup, at the time a 1010 Guadalupe, looked so nice and flat....damn you 1010.
Early 90s shape with no concave, and really mellow nose/tail seems fun. My first good boards were in the late late 80s, so the shorter length, and the width, looks right to me, but the huge tail....I tried to set up a really sick scram board awhile back and the dramatic whale tale was really no fun to ollie. Maybe if I had a cell block 3 or something.

TumKayo

« Reply #2344 on: October 31, 2020, 09:38:03 PM »

I think the Heroin 9” and 9.25” popsicles have shorter wheelbases than these other ones I see (creature, antihero, $lave, etc.) I may be wrong.

Someone on this thread a few pages back said Baker makes a 9” with a regular-ish wb. Like 14.5” or something like that. Maybe Heroin is using that mold. The picture of the 9.25 looks full and girthy tip to tail. That might give the 10” egg a run for it’s money in terms of stability and platform. Not quite.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2345 on: October 31, 2020, 10:28:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the Heroin 9” and 9.25” popsicles have shorter wheelbases than these other ones I see (creature, antihero, $lave, etc.) I may be wrong.

Someone on this thread a few pages back said Baker makes a 9” with a regular-ish wb. Like 14.5” or something like that. Maybe Heroin is using that mold. The picture of the 9.25 looks full and girthy tip to tail. That might give the 10” egg a run for it’s money in terms of stability and platform. Not quite.

yeah that baker 9”+ has like a 14 or so wb and 32” as well
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 04:07:53 AM by jay_nev »

sammyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #2346 on: November 01, 2020, 12:46:59 AM »
Santa cruz and creature have started making 14.25 WB on their 9” decks...VX, powerply and regular 7 ply...anti hero do brown bomber which is a touch under 9”

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2347 on: November 01, 2020, 04:07:32 AM »

Baker 9.25 x 32 x 14
Ace 55 w Riptide pivots
F4 Radial Full 58mm 99a
Swiss

Big fan of this shape, basically the Loveseat on BBS wood.
love it, so clean @TumKayo

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2348 on: November 01, 2020, 04:56:11 AM »
That baker is so clean, I was out on my chocolate couch shape today and it just felt so good to be on a bigger deck.
Have heard that the baker is pretty similar dimensions to the couch shape too which is promising

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

TumKayo

« Reply #2349 on: November 01, 2020, 08:39:21 AM »
Expand Quote

Baker 9.25 x 32 x 14
Ace 55 w Riptide pivots
F4 Radial Full 58mm 99a
Swiss

Big fan of this shape, basically the Loveseat on BBS wood.
[close]
love it, so clean @TumKayo

I’ve been looking at that shape for weeks. It looks so fun, and not as directional as the street baller is. Maybe more functional. I have it on my watchlist, but have been scared of the short wb. I found out in the past week or so, that I do like a longer wheelbase, so I’m probably gonna skip this beauty.

TGM has a few in stock on their site and on their ebay. You guys buy them up so I can’t even be tempted. I don’t need it, I don’t need it, I definitely don’t need it.

I was actually talking about the 9” kader board though. I thought that was more of a popsicle, but may be wrong. I thought that’s what Heroin might be going off of for their big popsicles.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #2350 on: November 02, 2020, 12:07:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Need a big boy 9"+ roll call update now on everyone's fall set ups. top pics as well.
[close]

My TU deck got a fat break in to from doing a bunch of fs bonelesses into disasters, but the rails kept it from fully breaking even though it's the reason why it's broken in the first place. There's also fat pressure cracks, but that didn't affect performance. Still good to use as a cruiser (if I had the parts) but too sketchy to actually skate transition.

Been skating this old Jason Adams punk point deck that I've had for months. Didn't like how it performed initially and got sick of seeing the graphic, so I sanded and spray painted the Black Label Thumbhead graphic on it. This was months ago and now that I'm skating it again, all of a sudden this shape is just really good.

Black Label Jason Adams 9.5" x 32.75" with 14 5/8"WB
Indy 169 Standards with 90a aftermarket Indy bushings (USA Indys just to flex :^))
Speedlab Slappy Hour 56mm 99a wheels
Bones Swiss
MOB
1/4" Risers
Shorty's 1/4" hardware

Original graphic:

The day after I finished it:

If this shape had a 14.5" WB and was slightly shorter (maybe 32") then it would be even better.

Damn. That Label board looks even more beautiful with your paint job. I can't ride punk point shapes as long as I like to flip my board. Cut half my front leg open due to a missed heelflip ^^
IG: @flowterspace

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #2351 on: November 02, 2020, 12:55:29 PM »
copy paste from setup thread.

Theories Special Delivery Shape 9" at widest point, 14.25" WB (measured from middle of each innerbolt) , 31.25" measuring strait across from nose to tail (not pressing tape down)

ACE 44's
F4 Conical 53MM 101a that are about 50-51MM now.
Bones Big Balls

been wanting a big board to do more slappys / skate transition more . seems like this going to be quite a fun shape to mess around on , as its been hard to get away from my 8" popsicle shape and ventures.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2352 on: November 02, 2020, 02:29:11 PM »
Has the theories shape got enough nose to do nollie tricks on? It looks small...

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
« Reply #2353 on: November 02, 2020, 02:40:10 PM »
Has the theories shape got enough nose to do nollie tricks on? It looks small...

its small, but still big enough to pop a nollie, just measured it at 6.25" without the tape pressed down.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #2354 on: November 02, 2020, 04:57:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

its small, but still big enough to pop a nollie, just measured it at 6.25" without the tape pressed down.

I’ve skated this exact shape with the Newman theories board and would do nollie flips and other nollie tricks no problem

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2355 on: November 03, 2020, 03:57:32 AM »
Okay, just reminded me a little of Shin’s surf shape on Polar which has a pretty small nose

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2356 on: November 03, 2020, 06:38:51 PM »
Ace 55 look like 1/8” risers
Spit classic 60mm
Polar
9.0" X 32.25"
NOSE: 7.0"
WHEEL BASE: 14.5"
TAIL: 6.75"

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:49:22 PM by jay_nev »

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #2358 on: November 04, 2020, 05:30:06 AM »
Those creature decks are cool.

What does the width measure over trucks?

larryhagman

« Reply #2359 on: November 04, 2020, 05:44:20 AM »

same as the couch shape. ~9" front 8.75" back

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2361 on: November 04, 2020, 06:00:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
couch 13.875” wb/32” length and creature 14”/31.95” length?  Looks good notice much of a difference yet? How’s adjustment of the small wb with the aces. You see villewester’s set up end of last page I posted? Same as you but polar 9”, 55’s risers and 60mm classics haha

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Creature_Free_For_All_XL_Powerply_Deck/descpage-CEFFAXDK.html
@Sundaynuggets decent pic here of kicks
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 06:10:09 AM by jay_nev »

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2362 on: November 04, 2020, 06:12:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
couch 13.875” wb/32” length and creature 14”/31.95” length?  Looks good notice much of a difference yet? How’s adjustment of the small wb with the aces. You see villewester’s set up end of last page I posted? Same as you but polar 9”, 55’s risers and 60mm classics haha

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Creature_Free_For_All_XL_Powerply_Deck/descpage-CEFFAXDK.html

Thanks!

larryhagman

« Reply #2363 on: November 04, 2020, 06:52:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Did not see that VilleWester board, that's funny though. His wheels are a different shape? Mine are the f4 classics.
Creature kicks seem actually steeper than the girl but not by much. the girl kicks are steep already because of the fingers of flat
Have not skated this setup yet just put it together today because it's raining and I was bored
Did not mind the short wheelbase at all on the Girl deck but I suck at skating so what do  I know

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2364 on: November 04, 2020, 07:40:54 AM »
I’d be curious about the fingers of flat on the Creature too, now that you mention it. That’s why I didn’t mess with the girl deck. Prefer as few fof as possible

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2365 on: November 04, 2020, 08:46:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Did not see that VilleWester board, that's funny though. His wheels are a different shape? Mine are the f4 classics.
Creature kicks seem actually steeper than the girl but not by much. the girl kicks are steep already because of the fingers of flat
Have not skated this setup yet just put it together today because it's raining and I was bored
Did not mind the short wheelbase at all on the Girl deck but I suck at skating so what do  I know

60mm classics in the OG formula have a different cut than the 60mm F4 classics.

larryhagman

« Reply #2366 on: November 04, 2020, 09:58:22 AM »
I’d be curious about the fingers of flat on the Creature too, now that you mention it. That’s why I didn’t mess with the girl deck. Prefer as few fof as possible
I'd say it's about 2 fingers on the creature🤷🏻‍♂️

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #2367 on: November 04, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'd say it's about 2 fingers on the creature🤷🏻‍♂️

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2368 on: November 05, 2020, 02:34:37 AM »
I have been skating the new Heroin Mutant 10' board and I have to say its may favourite shape of all time.
Just reordered 4 of them.

TumKayo

« Reply #2369 on: November 05, 2020, 08:21:44 AM »
I have been skating the new Heroin Mutant 10' board and I have to say its may favourite shape of all time.
Just reordered 4 of them.

Just grabbed one of those. I got some 215s and have been looking for a board for them, and had been looking for the Mutant everywhere and it was sold out. Boom, yesterday, Fos says he has limited restock at the factory. Fate was on my side! Skategods care about 215s!

Are they fully green dipped?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 08:46:16 AM by TumKayo »