Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547251 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #660 on: January 05, 2020, 07:33:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
my pops whos a carpenter redrilled my old cardiel thats still kicking from 14.8 to 14.38. that was wb of my first real skateboard and i dont know why i ever changed my wb instead of the width. took it to grab some beers and its 10x easier to flip and maneuver. wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it would be to size down from a 15 wb, but im happy with the experiment. gonna force myself to stick with it to ease the madness and actually just get good. cant wait to put some spits and 6.1s on them wednesday :)

[close]

That looks like it might work good with Ventures since the nose and tail look super long after redrilling
[close]

the nose is at 7.5 and the tail was untouched at 6.75. not chopping this deck up so im stuck with it for now. doesnt seem like it will be much of a problem though

gonna try both 151 HL and the 6.1s, see what i like and stick to it until its time for a new deck. gonna stay around 14.38-14.5 for my serious setups. didnt take me long to see how much easier it is and i feel my sessions can be longer now
[close]

Yeah by sizing down slightly and lightening up my setup I've definitely been able to skate for much longer and more frequently now. Definitely worth slipping out on some tricks going fast a bit more from time to time.

for sure. everything is so twitchy on a shorter wb. took my eagle for a spin to see if my bad bearing would seize and with the 14.5 wb, i finally got my mini super juices to bs powerslide and roll away. on the longer wb i feel the turn just wasnt sharp enough to slide without completely stopping. also got a kickflip with the fat wheels which i couldnt do before. im sold on this shit! this will really do me a favor for my skating
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #661 on: January 05, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
my pops whos a carpenter redrilled my old cardiel thats still kicking from 14.8 to 14.38. that was wb of my first real skateboard and i dont know why i ever changed my wb instead of the width. took it to grab some beers and its 10x easier to flip and maneuver. wasnt nearly as bad as i thought it would be to size down from a 15 wb, but im happy with the experiment. gonna force myself to stick with it to ease the madness and actually just get good. cant wait to put some spits and 6.1s on them wednesday :)

[close]

That looks like it might work good with Ventures since the nose and tail look super long after redrilling
[close]

the nose is at 7.5 and the tail was untouched at 6.75. not chopping this deck up so im stuck with it for now. doesnt seem like it will be much of a problem though

gonna try both 151 HL and the 6.1s, see what i like and stick to it until its time for a new deck. gonna stay around 14.38-14.5 for my serious setups. didnt take me long to see how much easier it is and i feel my sessions can be longer now
[close]

Yeah by sizing down slightly and lightening up my setup I've definitely been able to skate for much longer and more frequently now. Definitely worth slipping out on some tricks going fast a bit more from time to time.
[close]

for sure. everything is so twitchy on a shorter wb. took my eagle for a spin to see if my bad bearing would seize and with the 14.5 wb, i finally got my mini super juices to bs powerslide and roll away. on the longer wb i feel the turn just wasnt sharp enough to slide without completely stopping. also got a kickflip with the fat wheels which i couldnt do before. im sold on this shit! this will really do me a favor for my skating

Nice, good shit. If you're into skating around with soft wheels but also wanna do some tricks, maybe consider some oj keyframes in the future. They're a bit harder at 87a and a good bit slimmer so they end up feeling much more nimble whilst still being wayyyy better on rough ground than a street wheel.

I know its not an exact comparison, but I have a zip zinger that I sometimes mess around on and with keyframes I still got some flat tricks (tres, backside flips, fakie flips, bigspins etc). I tried putting some powell gslides on (slightly softer at 85a, same size, just way wider) and tres, bigspins etc instantly became 10x harder, all back to normal when the keyframes came back on.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 07:56:52 PM by tzhangdox »

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #662 on: January 05, 2020, 09:13:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice, good shit. If you're into skating around with soft wheels but also wanna do some tricks, maybe consider some oj keyframes in the future. They're a bit harder at 87a and a good bit slimmer so they end up feeling much more nimble whilst still being wayyyy better on rough ground than a street wheel.

I know its not an exact comparison, but I have a zip zinger that I sometimes mess around on and with keyframes I still got some flat tricks (tres, backside flips, fakie flips, bigspins etc). I tried putting some powell gslides on (slightly softer at 85a, same size, just way wider) and tres, bigspins etc instantly became 10x harder, all back to normal when the keyframes came back on.

definitely on my list after i get my new job. hear nothing but good things about em
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #663 on: January 06, 2020, 05:21:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This sounds spot on. I was eyeballing the 54-56mm 97a slime ball mini vomits for a soft, normal sized wheel that still slides and isn’t too heavy

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #664 on: January 06, 2020, 10:07:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This sounds spot on. I was eyeballing the 54-56mm 97a slime ball mini vomits for a soft, normal sized wheel that still slides and isn’t too heavy

97a sounds like itll still slide, but the keyframes definitely don't slide much if at all similar to the super juices.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #665 on: January 06, 2020, 10:14:02 AM »
Good wheel convo for the wheels thread!

I’ve liked the keyframes a lot in the limited time I’ve gotten on them. Streets full of sand and salt right now due to snow it’s a bitch

donkey

• Rep: -67
  • donk
« Reply #666 on: January 06, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »

Polar Dane 1 9.75” x 31.375” x wb 14.125”
Mob grip
Indy 169
Oj keyframe 54mm
Mini logo bearings
shorty’s allen

Blazer low GT
Deck is short/small wb for me but I can revert and carve nicely and ollie it fine. Just riding around neighborhood, no parks. Wheels feel really great compared to spitfire 80hd Chargers.

Madness has me thinking venture 6.1 eventually to stretch wb on this and throw the 169 on an AH 9.1” shaped eagle.
damn dude i just got this deck recently! super excited to skate it, it looks like a lot of fun. im gonna toss on my ace 66s and 58mm/101a spitfire classics and i think im gonna really enjoy the wheelbase on it as well as that fun shape. i've been trying to learn frontside laybacks and maybe that .25 inch wheelbase increase from my last board will help a bit.

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
« Reply #667 on: January 06, 2020, 01:12:55 PM »
Treated myself to another fatty. I just couldn't resist.
I think I'm going to get my first pair of Aces, 66's, to put on it.
This will be the longest wheelbase I've ever skated, 15".
And now I'll have 10 completes in my trunk. A nice round number.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #668 on: January 06, 2020, 02:08:42 PM »

that graphic deserves rails

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #669 on: January 06, 2020, 05:34:33 PM »

I'm curious to know how a veteran carpenter marked/found the hole centers before drilling. Did you watch or could you ask him for pointers?
I've think I know how but maybe I'm missing an easier or more accurate way.
The only way I can think of finding the centerline is to use the edges of the existing bolt holes, draw parallel lines off those edges, and then measure to the center of those lines. Could line up on front and rear trucks if concave doesn't mess with that.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #670 on: January 06, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I'm curious to know how a veteran carpenter marked/found the hole centers before drilling. Did you watch or could you ask him for pointers?
I've think I know how but maybe I'm missing an easier or more accurate way.
The only way I can think of finding the centerline is to use the edges of the existing bolt holes, draw parallel lines off those edges, and then measure to the center of those lines. Could line up on front and rear trucks if concave doesn't mess with that.

im gonna butcher the explanation cause i was wirebrushing the paint off my trucks while he worked. from what i saw, he used a square to find how far we would lower it. 0.25 of an inch is way too short to redrill because the stock holes would be too close so we drilled to 14.38. he used a pencil with the square to find the distance down and marked where the new holes would be redrilled. did two holes first and then put hardware in them to hold it down, then used the baseplate to drill the last two easy. very slightly off to me at first, but he used the square to show me that the accuracy was better than the stock holes :o

the distance from the redrilled baseplate measured the same distance from the rails of the board from the lower holes  and the same for the upper holes. the stock holes were off by around a tenth of an inch.

crazy thing is that when i watched him, a lot of it seemed like it was being done by eye. ended up with a more precise job done. my dad has been a carpenter since he was 15, way before he came to the US and hes 53 now. guess you can see what your doing when you do this type of shit your whole life. will never question his ability again.

i did a butcher job on my orange eagle but he will be helping me clean it up in the coming weeks. he already redrilled it but i will be "directing" how it will be shaped and the dimensions

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #671 on: January 06, 2020, 06:48:35 PM »
I was looking into buying blanks but uncut it must be so hard to find the center of the concave, since the edges are not cut and all over the place.

Has anyone here cut their own shapes?

I ask among the fatties since I think that might be the most likely to find people cutting their own shapes.

Anyone experienced or interested to share?
Worth a new thread?

PMA

shingles

• Rep: -61
« Reply #672 on: January 07, 2020, 12:35:14 AM »

Ordered two of them aswell, might make a curbcrusher out of it
support your local ramp-tramp

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #673 on: January 07, 2020, 12:47:54 AM »

Damn i really want one. Congrats mate.

I wish they shipped to Australia...or do they? Gotta check it out.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #674 on: January 07, 2020, 05:18:03 AM »
I just got this Tired deck. Have always wanted one, and they were half price. PS Stix, 9.25, pretty steep tail and concave,  which will be weird but I can’t wait to set it up. Thinking about Indy titanium’s and slime ball 97a on it

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #675 on: January 07, 2020, 06:01:21 AM »
I just got this Tired deck. Have always wanted one, and they were half price. PS Stix, 9.25, pretty steep tail and concave,  which will be weird but I can’t wait to set it up. Thinking about Indy titanium’s and slime ball 97a on it

Nice, what are other dimensions? nose looks long.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #676 on: January 07, 2020, 08:57:48 PM »
Nice, what are other dimensions? nose looks long.

LENGTH: 32.0in
WIDTH: 9.25in
WHEELBASE: 14.38in
NOSE: 7.125in
TAIL: 6.875in

It’s all pretty spot on.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #677 on: January 09, 2020, 07:53:03 AM »
that rat trap deck looks sick

satan

« Reply #678 on: January 09, 2020, 07:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn i really want one. Congrats mate.

I wish they shipped to Australia...or do they? Gotta check it out.
https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/shop/decks.html
Stumbled onto this site looking for Jason Adams top pics
They don't have the Lance deck up but they do sell Black Label. Might wanna try emailing?
And looks like they're having a sale now

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #679 on: January 10, 2020, 01:40:41 PM »
Picked up some 66s and got the Lance set up.
First impressions after 2 sessions. 1 at the park. 1 at a curb spot.
15" wheelbase is huge. It's insane what a difference half an inch makes. In the pool at the park, I like it. But on the street course and in the streets, it feels so slow and heavy. Ollies are shitty and take a lot of effort. Managed a couple kickflips. But forget about tre's. Shinners with this beast hurt more than usual.
On my warpig I can do pretty much all the same flat ground tricks as on my 8.3 popsicle.
I think the pig will still be my preferred fatty.
First time on some Aces. I now understand what it means when people say they are turnier than Indy.
Pay no attention to that blue board on the end. It wants to be included; but is only 8.9.  ;D

satan

« Reply #680 on: January 10, 2020, 02:43:21 PM »
https://socalskateshop.com/Scum-Skates-Heavy-Hitter-Deck-Natural-918x3275.html
Reminds me of the Lance shapes.
Did Scum just go out of business?

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #681 on: January 10, 2020, 05:05:52 PM »
Thinking about setting up a Polar Dane1... Is it a functional all round shape? Heard theyre quite short. Can pick between Venture 5.8, Ace 55 or 159, gonna go with the OJ 60mm Boserio wheel 97a. Risers or nah? 1/8, 1/4?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #682 on: January 10, 2020, 09:43:26 PM »
Picked up some 66s and got the Lance set up.
First impressions after 2 sessions. 1 at the park. 1 at a curb spot.
15" wheelbase is huge. It's insane what a difference half an inch makes. In the pool at the park, I like it. But on the street course and in the streets, it feels so slow and heavy. Ollies are shitty and take a lot of effort. Managed a couple kickflips. But forget about tre's. Shinners with this beast hurt more than usual.
On my warpig I can do pretty much all the same flat ground tricks as on my 8.3 popsicle.
I think the pig will still be my preferred fatty.
First time on some Aces. I now understand what it means when people say they are turnier than Indy.
Pay no attention to that blue board on the end. It wants to be included; but is only 8.9.  ;D

whats the wb on that war pig? that shape looks sick

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #683 on: January 10, 2020, 11:55:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

whats the wb on that war pig? that shape looks sick

Water is Nice

• Rep: 3
« Reply #684 on: January 11, 2020, 03:23:26 AM »
Thinking about setting up a Polar Dane1... Is it a functional all round shape? Heard theyre quite short. Can pick between Venture 5.8, Ace 55 or 159, gonna go with the OJ 60mm Boserio wheel 97a. Risers or nah? 1/8, 1/4?
Do it! I ride it rn on thunder 151 but have also ridden it on indy 159. I have 54mm spit f4 classics and 1/8 risers.
I think it's a functional shape and I ride it on street, flip tricks are harder than an 8.375 and on ollies front foot comes up far. I like it a lot though it's fun.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #685 on: January 11, 2020, 07:17:10 AM »
Yeah dane1 is fun. it’s fine on 169 too. Just kind wish it was longer / had more wheelbase but I’m tall

This Charming Bat

• Rep: 11
« Reply #686 on: January 11, 2020, 10:31:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Do it! I ride it rn on thunder 151 but have also ridden it on indy 159. I have 54mm spit f4 classics and 1/8 risers.
I think it's a functional shape and I ride it on street, flip tricks are harder than an 8.375 and on ollies front foot comes up far. I like it a lot though it's fun.

My last two boards have been Dane 1’s and I ride them with Venture 6.1 and 55 Conical Full. Wish it had a fuller nose, but other than that it’s my favorite board and I’ll probably keep riding them.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #687 on: January 11, 2020, 10:35:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

My last two boards have been Dane 1’s and I ride them with Venture 6.1 and 55 Conical Full. Wish it had a fuller nose, but other than that it’s my favorite board and I’ll probably keep riding them.
pic w the 6.1? I’m heavily intrigued. What’s it make the axle to axle wb?

This Charming Bat

• Rep: 11
« Reply #688 on: January 11, 2020, 11:20:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
pic w the 6.1? I’m heavily intrigued. What’s it make the axle to axle wb?

I posted my last in the set up thread about a month ago, and I think the wb is like 14.25 or around there when I measured. I don’t know, doesn’t bother me/feel short at all.

Freger

• Rep: -8
  • Can I borrow your tool?
« Reply #689 on: January 16, 2020, 07:49:55 PM »
Got a new board today! It's about 9.0 in the front and 8.5 in the back with a 14.5 in wheelbase. Not quite ready to set it up but I'm stoked on the graphic.

https://imgur.com/gallery/DsDPEfV