Author Topic: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)  (Read 547296 times)

Seventyfrigginseven

Re: Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards)
« Reply #1050 on: April 20, 2020, 09:12:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Zero is 1/4" shorter in length and it's wb is 14.25, I think it says 13.75 on the SMA. I wish it had the same sub 14" wb because I plan on pairing it with 6.1 Ventures (at this moment) Haha
[close]

Nice, I want to try the 6.1’s on a few decks I have laying around that didn’t feel quite right on Ace’s and Indy’s. Polar Dane 1 I have seems like it would go nice with those. That sub 14’ wheelbase really interests me as I’ve ridden a bunch of 14’ popsicles and they felt great and would like to try a wider shaped deck with something like that
[close]
If that works out for you please let me know. This will be by far the widest setup I have used in like 20 or more years, so I will be a mess for a while. If I just cant get used to the 14.25 wheelbase with the wide shape (and the nostalgia wheres off), I will on the prowl for the same thing  you described.
[close]
Did you get that Zero board? I've been eyeing it but didn't wanna give Lamie money. I've wanted something with a wide nose and shorter wb so I almost got the one with the eyes graphic.
Is the Liberty graphic BBS wood? I'm worried that the newer ones would be Dwindle.
[close]

The dressen that I posted up there is a real similar shape to the zero, 14.25 wb too. There’s a slick version out now. Might fit the nostalgia perfectly?

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/santa-cruz-dressen-eyes-everslick-9-31-deck-red_p133897

I had a Dane 1 with 151 thunders a while back, do t think I have a pic but they fit well with wide wheels on the back truck, very slightly magic carpet on the front but not so you’d notice.
[close]
I really like that Dressen shape too. I think there's a Creature board with the same shape. Also a wider Creature that's double drilled. Maybe 14.5" and 14"? Thought about getting one of those but if I'm being picky I'd prefer BBS for a shaped board, the flexiness fits th old school feel. And I really like how I can feel the "spoontail" in the concave. Dwindle wood is really crisp, I like it but not my preference. And I've given nhs enough money this year.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The Zero is 1/4" shorter in length and it's wb is 14.25, I think it says 13.75 on the SMA. I wish it had the same sub 14" wb because I plan on pairing it with 6.1 Ventures (at this moment) Haha
[close]

Nice, I want to try the 6.1’s on a few decks I have laying around that didn’t feel quite right on Ace’s and Indy’s. Polar Dane 1 I have seems like it would go nice with those. That sub 14’ wheelbase really interests me as I’ve ridden a bunch of 14’ popsicles and they felt great and would like to try a wider shaped deck with something like that
[close]
If that works out for you please let me know. This will be by far the widest setup I have used in like 20 or more years, so I will be a mess for a while. If I just cant get used to the 14.25 wheelbase with the wide shape (and the nostalgia wheres off), I will on the prowl for the same thing  you described.
[close]
Did you get that Zero board? I've been eyeing it but didn't wanna give Lamie money. I've wanted something with a wide nose and shorter wb so I almost got the one with the eyes graphic.
Is the Liberty graphic BBS wood? I'm worried that the newer ones would be Dwindle.
[close]
Yes I did. Im not sure who pressed it, I will let you know early next week man.
[close]
Right on. Could you also post a top pic. Thanks

It's not BBS which is a bummer, but Im exited about the shape and concave. And the wheelbase is 14 1/16" so thats a pleasant suprise. Also it is 9 1/4 ish" at the front trucks and 8.6 at the rear trucks so MAYBE my Ventures 5.8s will work out..fingers crossed. Most importantly when I stood on it I know I still will be able flip it. Also I just noticed there is an oil stain on the concrete that looks like that skull sticker. I did not do that on purpose and I am scared now.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 09:48:24 AM by Seventyfrigginseven »

uptherecazaly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #1051 on: April 22, 2020, 04:52:08 PM »
What companies make shapes similar to Scram? I’m in Australia and having a hard time finding them. What is the concave like on them? Flat, deep, old school?

Ebay for Scram.
Heroin Eyeballer and Santa Cruz Winkowski are similar to the Scram Whopper apparently but easy to find in Aus.
Welcome are prominent in Aus too, one of their bigger shapes might appeal.
If you find Scram dealer in Aus let me knooooow!

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1052 on: April 22, 2020, 04:59:21 PM »
Set up a new cruiser. I wanted to support my local during these times, and have a cruiser that's lighter than my old one.

Krooked Dan Drehobl Spinaul 9.25" x 31.8" with adjustable 14.25"/14.75" WB (I have mine set to 14.25")
Indy 169 with Bones Hardcore Mediums
OJ Mini Hot Juice 55mm 78a
MOB
Bones 1/8" risers (I'm going to replace them with 1/4" risers in the future)
1" hardware

It rides and skates pretty nice so far and the wheels actually slide (not as good as a hard wheel), but I was doing stalls on a parking block and tiny chunks of the wheel came off already. Not big enough that it affects its performance, but it's still a little disappointing.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1053 on: April 22, 2020, 06:29:24 PM »
Set up a new cruiser. I wanted to support my local during these times, and have a cruiser that's lighter than my old one.

Krooked Dan Drehobl Spinaul 9.25" x 31.8" with adjustable 14.25"/14.75" WB (I have mine set to 14.25")
MOB
1" hardware

It rides and skates pretty nice so far and the wheels actually slide (not as good as a hard wheel), but I was doing stalls on a parking block and tiny chunks of the wheel came off already. Not big enough that it affects its performance, but it's still a little disappointing.

How’s the taper of that deck over the rear with the 169? Nice set up. You tried keyframes? they grind decently so far for me, probably a bit closer to the street wheel than those mini juice but still roll really well.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1054 on: April 22, 2020, 06:54:20 PM »
I have those same mini juice neon green and they’re  chipped to shit but still skate fine. Unless you take out like a solid 1/4 of the wheel they keep rolling. Supposedly the super juice are better with chipping but if you’re trying to do tricks and slides getting something in the mid 80 duro range is best.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1055 on: April 22, 2020, 07:39:16 PM »
Expand Quote

MOB
1" hardware

[close]

How’s the taper of that deck over the rear with the 169? Nice set up. You tried keyframes? they grind decently so far for me, probably a bit closer to the street wheel than those mini juice but still roll really well.

Thanks. The taper is near perfect I'd say. The wheels stick out as far as the axle, and from a top down view you can barely see the wheel. I haven't tried Keyframes (yet) because I wanted a wheel with more contact patch.

I have those same mini juice neon green and they’re  chipped to shit but still skate fine. Unless you take out like a solid 1/4 of the wheel they keep rolling. Supposedly the super juice are better with chipping but if you’re trying to do tricks and slides getting something in the mid 80 duro range is best.

Yeah G-Slides 56mm 85a have treated me well, I got OJs because I've been watching way too many of the Cruisin videos and I wanted to know if these wheels slid.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1056 on: April 22, 2020, 09:47:37 PM »
Cross post from the cruiser thread.

Been looking for a use for this deck, it’s way too flat to be functional, bought it to skate as my every day board but just couldn’t do it.

Almost 10”
Ace 55
1/8 Riser
OJ Hot Juice 60mm

Looking to add another riser, just need longer hardware and all the local shops are shut.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1057 on: April 23, 2020, 06:39:58 AM »
Fairly recently, someone posted a pic of their setup with the Girl loveseat (9"x32") shape and I can't seem to find it anywhere. If you posted it or if you know where it was, can you quote it here? Considering trying one out.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1058 on: April 23, 2020, 10:33:13 AM »
Fairly recently, someone posted a pic of their setup with the Girl loveseat (9"x32") shape and I can't seem to find it anywhere. If you posted it or if you know where it was, can you quote it here? Considering trying one out.

Were you thinking of my post? It's the Couch deck, but AFAIK there's barely any difference between the shapes except for the Loveseat being 0.25" skinnier.

9.25" x 32" Girl Bannerot 93 Til Couch Deck w/ 13.875" WB

Thunder 151s

56mm 85a Powell G-Slides

MOB

Reds

There's two whole fingers of flat so I used Thunders, but I'd say you could get the same performance with Indys (or similar) and big wheels.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1059 on: April 23, 2020, 10:59:50 PM »
miss having a big boy setup
looking at either the polar 1992 or the girl/choco couch shape. any suggestions/recommendations between the two?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #1060 on: April 24, 2020, 06:35:25 AM »
They’re quite different shapes, the couch is not too different to a regular pop, the 92 is completely different.

I skated a 92 last year. The tail is quite long and square which may be a plus or a minus depending how you feel. It was fun on tranny and curbs but I don’t think I’d buy another.

I came off a Dane 1 which I loved but wanted a tiny bit more wheelbase and nose length. The 92 had that but I didn’t love it. I replaced it with the Dressen I posted above which I really like. Pretty similar to the zero above as well. I’d be tempted by another of the dressens or that zero over the 92.

I can’t see the couch feeling much different to a big popsicle and if I’m on a shape I want it to “be” different when i look down, maybe look at the heroin eggs or polar footballs as well if you want something in that vein?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1061 on: April 24, 2020, 07:19:28 AM »
Want to see a top pic of the dressen for shape

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1062 on: April 24, 2020, 07:36:30 AM »
Want to see a top pic of the dressen for shape
Same here.

Jory4

« Reply #1063 on: April 24, 2020, 07:43:12 AM »

Ignore my wonky toes!

Jory4

« Reply #1064 on: April 24, 2020, 07:48:38 AM »
miss having a big boy setup
looking at either the polar 1992 or the girl/choco couch shape. any suggestions/recommendations between the two?

This is the 92 I had for comparison. Actually looks more similar to the dressen in the pics than it feels in real life. The dressen is a more rounded somehow!

This one started out with thunder 51’s and 56mm slimeballs. I switched to Indy 159’s on it and that’s what the dressen has.

Pretty sold on trucks that turn right now - set up the thunders on something else recently and almost immediately bought some aces instead which are my current fave.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:52:43 AM by Jory4 »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #1065 on: April 24, 2020, 08:11:28 AM »
The Dressen really reminds me more of the 1991 than the 1992. I just want to chime in that the 1991 is a really, really fun and functional shape.

Jory4

« Reply #1066 on: April 24, 2020, 09:39:06 AM »
Yeah I actually preferred  the 91 shape at the time but the wheelbase is 14.5 and the 92 (& the dressen) is 14.25 which Suits my stumpy legs better

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1067 on: April 24, 2020, 09:59:01 AM »
Yeah I actually preferred  the 91 shape at the time but the wheelbase is 14.5 and the 92 (& the dressen) is 14.25 which Suits my stumpy legs better
so what was it you didnt like with the 92? the tail length and shape? doesnt look too far off the 91 shape but maybe im missing something
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Jory4

« Reply #1068 on: April 24, 2020, 10:42:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
so what was it you didnt like with the 92? the tail length and shape? doesnt look too far off the 91 shape but maybe im missing something

Completely subjective I suspect but the squareness of the nose and tail. To be honest it skated fine but the sort of tapered and rounded tail of the dressen kind of shape makes it pop more like a regular board in my overanalytical mind.

It’s partly nostalgia, I started skating in 87 and quit (the first time) around 91. The dressen is real similar to the first dressen slick from then and similar to the last shaped boards I skated. It’s fun to skate something with modern pop and weight that’s shaped like boards from my youth.

I’m 45 and I’m mostly skating mini - ramp and curbs nowadays, trying to avoid breaking my old bones!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:44:56 AM by Jory4 »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1069 on: April 24, 2020, 11:20:45 AM »
I'm eyeing a Kader 9" popsicle on my local
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1070 on: April 24, 2020, 02:29:47 PM »

I wanted to buy smaller, pointier football shape but told myself I should set this back up and finish skating it.
I’ve posted a couple configurations of this board over the past year or so, this one is my favorite so. Highly skateable even with a sub 14” wheelbase.

TFunk 9.1
101 tablets (about 50mm now)

Onevia

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1071 on: April 24, 2020, 06:45:28 PM »
That TFunk looks nice.

Thinking about picking up a Polar 1991 to go with my Green Giant, but I'm guessing my 169's would hot rod in the rear...?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1072 on: April 24, 2020, 07:18:36 PM »

I wanted to buy smaller, pointier football shape but told myself I should set this back up and finish skating it.
I’ve posted a couple configurations of this board over the past year or so, this one is my favorite so. Highly skateable even with a sub 14” wheelbase.

TFunk 9.1
101 tablets (about 50mm now)

Small wb and wide ventures, looks hot!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1343
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1073 on: April 24, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »
That TFunk looks nice.

Thinking about picking up a Polar 1991 to go with my Green Giant, but I'm guessing my 169's would hot rod in the rear...?
I don't think any of the Polar shapes hot rod with 169s. Measurementwise, it's longer than the area over the back trucks but if you look down it's fine. Lots of talk in this thread about running 169s on the Dane1 for eg and those dims are very smiliar. I think you would be fine.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1074 on: April 24, 2020, 08:02:31 PM »
Yeah dane1 is a bit over 8.75" over the rear bolts i think, works fine with 169s for me. starting to dislike having two sets of trucks that work on multiple boards. madness.

Kind of still want this 91 with the wheel wells.
1991 SPECIAL SHAPE
9.25" (WIDEST POINT) X 32.125" - WITH WHEEL WELLS
NOSE: 7.0"
WHEEL BASE: 14.5"
TAIL:6.5"

texasplant

« Reply #1075 on: April 24, 2020, 08:19:52 PM »

Yet another Dane1. This is my second, and was my favourite shape of all time until it got ran over prematurely.
It was my cruiser but now it’s my every day setup.

Dane1
Conical Full 55mm 99
Swiss Six
1/8” Riser

Not sure if I want to ride 159, 169, or 55 on this one. I had my 55’s on my last one and thought I would switch it up a little to see if it flips better. I don’t mind it, but might remove the riser or swap to a forged plate so I don’t ghost pop as much. I have considered redrilling to 14.38 but not sure.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:23:53 PM by texasplant »

Onevia

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1076 on: April 24, 2020, 08:28:53 PM »
I don't think any of the Polar shapes hot rod with 169s. Measurementwise, it's longer than the area over the back trucks but if you look down it's fine. Lots of talk in this thread about running 169s on the Dane1 for eg and those dims are very smiliar. I think you would be fine.
Word.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1077 on: April 24, 2020, 08:38:44 PM »

Yet another Dane1. This is my second, and was my favourite shape of all time until it got ran over prematurely.

Dane1
Conical Full 55mm 99
Swiss Six
1/8” Riser

Not sure if I want to ride 159, 169, or 55 on this one. I had my 55’s on my last one and thought I would switch it up a little to see if it flips better. I don’t mind it, but might remove the riser or swap to a forged plate so I don’t ghost pop as much. I have considered redrilling to 14.38 but not sure.
love it. i need conical fulls for mine asap. fills out that front end. wb so short not sure how aces would work. im too tall for that and already feel a bit cramped w wb + short length. redrilling would be interesting. nose would get super short as its already at 6.25".

smellsdead

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1272
« Reply #1078 on: April 24, 2020, 08:41:41 PM »
og dane1 with 169s and conicals- not hot rod my dogs

cant decide if i dig the 1991 or dane1 shape more

texasplant

« Reply #1079 on: April 24, 2020, 08:43:47 PM »
Expand Quote

Dane1
Conical Full 55mm 99
Swiss Six
1/8” Riser

[close]
love it. i need conical fulls for mine asap. fills out that front end. wb so short not sure how aces would work. im too tall for that and already feel a bit cramped w wb + short length. redrilling would be interesting. nose would get super short as its already at 6.25".

Yeah it’s hard because I skate mostly transition, but also a lot of slappies so it’s hard to find a nice in between wheelbase. I’m used to skating Winkowski and fish tail shapes so the smaller nose wouldn’t be an issue, if anything it would stop me pushing into nose manuals from having my foot so far up haha.