Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 88759 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1560 on: October 07, 2023, 10:22:29 AM »
Opposite for me. My best Tre flips have been on a 14.38 with Venture V lights, kickflips were meh on that setup. Best kickflips recently we're on a 14.25 with Indy standards

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1561 on: October 07, 2023, 12:17:41 PM »
i dont even know anymore
the dlx 8.75 shape ruined everything i believed was true
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1562 on: October 08, 2023, 12:35:53 AM »
i dont even know anymore

The 14.25 or the 14.62?
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #1563 on: October 08, 2023, 07:24:45 AM »
I swear that the best kickflipping board I ever owned is the Crail Loveseat shape. It flicks like a 7.5" I would have skated in 1992 but with the real estate of an 9" deck on while to land.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1564 on: October 08, 2023, 07:33:28 AM »
I swear that the best kickflipping board I ever owned is the Crail Loveseat shape. It flicks like a 7.5" I would have skated in 1992 but with the real estate of an 9" deck on while to land.

several folks loved those, and they made sense. do you use 149s?
they seemed like a 3flip machine.

i can’t do shapes rn. something about it grosses me out, where as 2015 ish it felt like i had to have a shape to feel stoked.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1565 on: October 08, 2023, 07:43:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i can’t do shapes rn. something about it grosses me out, where as 2015 ish it felt like i had to have a shape to feel stoked.

Yeah, I skated it with Indy 149s. I am also not really much of a shaped deck skater, but I bought one on a whim from a sale of the Crail website, probably based on recommendations here.

Now I skate a 8.125" Primitive deck now and don't plan to go back to a shaped board soon or ever, but I did very much enjoy that deck.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1566 on: October 08, 2023, 09:11:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I skated it with Indy 149s. I am also not really much of a shaped deck skater, but I bought one on a whim from a sale of the Crail website, probably based on recommendations here.

Now I skate a 8.125" Primitive deck now and don't plan to go back to a shaped board soon or ever, but I did very much enjoy that deck.

does that 8.125 have a longer tail/nose? same as the april?

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1567 on: October 08, 2023, 09:15:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

does that 8.125 have a longer tail/nose? same as the april?

I don't know anything about April decks, but this has a fairly normal length tail with a pretty sizeable nose. Mellow concave and a mellow tail.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1568 on: October 09, 2023, 07:37:13 AM »
Expand Quote
i dont even know anymore
[close]

The 14.25 or the 14.62?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1569 on: October 09, 2023, 08:15:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i dont even know anymore
[close]

The 14.25 or the 14.62?
[close]

i’m kinda whatever about crail wood, but i love their shapes. the brophy shape is a little narrower, longer wb, skated pretty well for me.
just a very well proportioned deck. something about the length of the tail handled the length.
that board showed me that it was the absolute upper limit of what i was willing to ride, and that i probably didn’t need to get another huffer (as much as i love that huffer shape, and it was such a long lasting tank, if i was going to ride a shaped board it’d be that) and continue with my personal ban on shaped boards.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1570 on: October 10, 2023, 12:58:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i dont even know anymore
[close]

The 14.25 or the 14.62?
[close]

A friend and I call the 8.75/14.62 "The Destroyer of Worlds," because no matter what you think you know/like about the set-up you are riding, a week on the 8.75 will eviscerate "everything you believed was true."

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #1571 on: October 10, 2023, 01:18:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i dont even know anymore
[close]

The 14.25 or the 14.62?
[close]
[close]

A friend and I call the 8.75/14.62 "The Destroyer of Worlds," because no matter what you think you know/like about the set-up you are riding, a week on the 8.75 will eviscerate "everything you believed was true."

There is an 8.75 Unity with IV concave sitting at the local shop and I'm close to pulling the trigger.   I had it with the Eagle graphic, Indy 159 hollow forged and 54mm F4 Conicals and loved it.    I have an 8.75 Blue Meanie I'm skating (second of that shape), but the popsicle is pulling me back....

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1572 on: October 10, 2023, 01:24:32 PM »
There is an 8.75 Unity with IV concave sitting at the local shop and I'm close to pulling the trigger.  I had it with the Eagle graphic, Indy 159 hollow forged and 54mm F4 Conicals and loved it.

Well done. That is my exact set-up for that deck, and damn, it feels so good (when I stray from my 8.25). Get that Unity.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
« Reply #1573 on: October 10, 2023, 01:55:03 PM »
The Hollow Indy 159s I've been riding since July 2022 have axle slip. Part of me wants to grab a new pair cause it's annoying as hell, but it's getting colder here and I don't feel like messing with this setup. So I guess I'll have to check my wheel every ten minutes  :-\

This may have always been an issue. I went from mostly cruising to flipping my board a lot over the last month. I'll replace them in the spring. Just looking at all the trucks on Tactics flared up my madness again. It was like a recovering drunk walking into a bar. I put some Ventures in my cart, some 169s, then talked some sense into myself.

It's funny, I got so frustrated that I hurled my board across the tennis court. Grabbed it by the tail and flung it 20 feet lol. I'm such a child.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1574 on: October 10, 2023, 03:58:42 PM »
The Hollow Indy 159s I've been riding since July 2022 have axle slip. Part of me wants to grab a new pair cause it's annoying as hell, but it's getting colder here and I don't feel like messing with this setup. So I guess I'll have to check my wheel every ten minutes  :-\

This may have always been an issue. I went from mostly cruising to flipping my board a lot over the last month. I'll replace them in the spring. Just looking at all the trucks on Tactics flared up my madness again. It was like a recovering drunk walking into a bar. I put some Ventures in my cart, some 169s, then talked some sense into myself.

It's funny, I got so frustrated that I hurled my board across the tennis court. Grabbed it by the tail and flung it 20 feet lol. I'm such a child.

I posted this in the Indy thread, but also posting here:

Are you sure it is axle slip?

There seem to be a lot of wheels coming out of bearings issues which would usually have the same effect - wheel stops spinning easily.

Sit the board up on its side, axle on the ground and then push your wheel down, then pull it up to see if the bearings are seated correctly.

I honestly can't think of any current Indy (or other top brand truck) that has had axle slip in recent years, but I have seen a lot of wheels with bearing seats that are too big, so the bearings move in the wheels.

Not doubting you but check this first.

What wheels and bearings are you running?  Spitfire Formula Four have been pretty big on the bearings moving of late, as per quite a few sets I have had too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1575 on: October 10, 2023, 04:05:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There seem to be a lot of wheels coming out of bearings issues which would usually have the same effect - wheel stops spinning easily.

Sit the board up on its side, axle on the ground and then push your wheel down, then pull it up to see if the bearings are seated correctly.

I honestly can't think of any current Indy (or other top brand truck) that has had axle slip in recent years, but I have seen a lot of wheels with bearing seats that are too big, so the bearings move in the wheels.

What wheels and bearings are you running?  Spitfire Formula Four have been pretty big on the bearings moving of late, as per quite a few sets I have had too.
You may be right. Last month I switch my wheels and bearings. I have Spitfire RF and Bones Swiss 6. Never had any issues with these trucks. I love the wheels and bearings, but I may slap on my CFs and Bronson G3s.

I’ve taken the wheels apart, made sure the bearings were in, but it still happens. Part of me thinks it may be these wide wheels. They’re the Kader Puffs ones. I think I’ll do an experiment in a few days and report back.

If it happens on another set of Indy’s I have then it’s the wheels or bearings.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1576 on: October 10, 2023, 05:07:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
You may be right. Last month I switch my wheels and bearings. I have Spitfire RF and Bones Swiss 6. Never had any issues with these trucks. I love the wheels and bearings, but I may slap on my CFs and Bronson G3s.

I’ve taken the wheels apart, made sure the bearings were in, but it still happens. Part of me thinks it may be these wide wheels. They’re the Kader Puffs ones. I think I’ll do an experiment in a few days and report back.

This was the thread I was thinking of, which I forgot to add in earlier:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=125264.0

Worth a read there too, if you had a minute.

The solution to that being to use something to remove all lube / oil from the outside area of the bearing, which they all come with to make it easier to push into the wheels, but if they slip in too easily, they could also slip out too easily as well, so rubbing alcohol or other substance cleans off the outer metal of the bearing so they go in and stay in.

The other thing is some Spitfire wheels did have issues with bearing seats being a little bit off, just ever so slightly so it might not seem like much, but it did cause the bearings to move more easily if there is a hit this way or that on the wheels.

I had some that every time I would do a smith grind on my ramp, the wheel would move a little and I would have to push it back in before the next run.  Changing bearings or even the position of the wheel on the board seemed to fix it for a bit, but I definitely had thought something was up with the trucks or something like that.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1577 on: October 10, 2023, 05:41:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

The solution to that being to use something to remove all lube / oil from the outside area of the bearing, which they all come with to make it easier to push into the wheels, but if they slip in too easily, they could also slip out too easily as well, so rubbing alcohol or other substance cleans off the outer metal of the bearing so they go in and stay in.

The other thing is some Spitfire wheels did have issues with bearing seats being a little bit off, just ever so slightly so it might not seem like much, but it did cause the bearings to move more easily if there is a hit this way or that on the wheels.

I had some that every time I would do a smith grind on my ramp, the wheel would move a little and I would have to push it back in before the next run.  Changing bearings or even the position of the wheel on the board seemed to fix it for a bit, but I definitely had thought something was up with the trucks or something like that.
Thanks for the link. Looking through the thread now. These bearings and wheels were expensive so I’d hate to scrap them.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1578 on: October 11, 2023, 08:57:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I did some experimenting and figured it out. It’s the damn Spitfire wheel, something has to be offset about it. Took it, put new bearings in it and put it on another pair of trucks and the same thing happened. Sucks cause I liked ‘em.

Thanks again 🙏🏾

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1579 on: October 11, 2023, 09:56:54 AM »
brimmer knows

you can still use the wheels and bearings imo, just loosen em up, allowing for more play, and less binding

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1580 on: October 11, 2023, 10:03:50 AM »
brimmer knows

you can still use the wheels and bearings imo, just loosen em up, allowing for more play, and less binding
I put my Swiss 6 in an old set of wheels. It was more annoying than usual cause I had to take out the bearings that were in the old set too. This made me realize that expensive bearings probably aren’t worth it (for me). I’d rather just toss the entire wheel setup when I’m done with them. Think I’ll go back to Bronson’s once these are finished.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1581 on: October 11, 2023, 10:06:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I did some experimenting and figured it out. It’s the damn Spitfire wheel, something has to be offset about it. Took it, put new bearings in it and put it on another pair of trucks and the same thing happened. Sucks cause I liked ‘em.

Thanks again 🙏🏾

I have had 2 sets of Spitfires in the past year or two that had oversized bearing seats. One of them was bad enough I could move the wheel with my hand and you could see the bearings move in and out. The other was slighter but the wheel was constantly binding. I then got a new set in which the actual bearing seat was too shallow and a bearing didn't fit. Spitfire replaced all of them AND gave me additional wheels.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1582 on: October 11, 2023, 10:09:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks again 🙏🏾
[close]

I have had 2 sets of Spitfires in the past year or two that had oversized bearing seats. One of them was bad enough I could move the wheel with my hand and you could see the bearings move in and out. The other was slighter but the wheel was constantly binding. I then got a new set in which the actual bearing seat was too shallow and a bearing didn't fit. Spitfire replaced all of them AND gave me additional wheels.
That’s great. I’ll contact them cause I really like the RF shape, and it’s only one wheel. The others are fine.

How do you reach them?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1583 on: October 11, 2023, 10:15:13 AM »
I always fill out the warranty form on the dlx site: https://www.dlxsf.com/warranty/ and they get back to me pretty quickly.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1584 on: October 11, 2023, 10:25:35 AM »
I always fill out the warranty form on the dlx site: https://www.dlxsf.com/warranty/ and they get back to me pretty quickly.
Thanks! Sent them an email. I’ve only had them for a month, so it’d suck to just be out of $50 lol

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 97
« Reply #1585 on: October 11, 2023, 12:15:57 PM »
Have had two sets of spits in the last year and a half with bearing seat issues. RF 60mm and conical full 58mm. They replaced them (with classic shapes each time) no prob and those didn’t have an issue. Tried another set of CF 58 and the same thing happened. Switched to 55mm tablets and had no issue. Didn’t wanna deal with a third warranty claim in a year and a half so took the L on the 58s. With both the RF and CF I had to use a bearing press to get them in and then they’d pop out. The 55 tablets had no issue getting the bearings in and they’re locked in. Same with the classic shape. I wonder if there’s an issue with the wider contact wheels.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1586 on: October 11, 2023, 12:18:53 PM »
They got back to me super fast. I have a set of 97a RFs coming. They didn’t have any 99s. If it happens again I’ll just stop buying that shape. My tablets, CFs, and Classics don’t have that issue.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #1587 on: October 11, 2023, 12:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i dont even know anymore
[close]

The 14.25 or the 14.62?
[close]
[close]

I have one of those in my pile next up. The Joe Buffalo one. Stoked to get rolling on it.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1588 on: October 11, 2023, 04:52:36 PM »
Have had two sets of spits in the last year and a half with bearing seat issues. RF 60mm and conical full 58mm. They replaced them (with classic shapes each time) no prob and those didn’t have an issue. Tried another set of CF 58 and the same thing happened. Switched to 55mm tablets and had no issue. Didn’t wanna deal with a third warranty claim in a year and a half so took the L on the 58s. With both the RF and CF I had to use a bearing press to get them in and then they’d pop out. The 55 tablets had no issue getting the bearings in and they’re locked in. Same with the classic shape. I wonder if there’s an issue with the wider contact wheels.

It would be even just one of the molds for those wheel shapes that is a touch out, or not calibrated correctly, that would cause the shape issue.  I have seen other brands like Bones cutting out their own molds from aluminium or some metal like it and pouring urethane wheels, but not Spitfire, so don't know exactly how the mold sits, but there is usually a bottom cup like piece and then a top piece that fits in / locks in place for the duration of the process, which can then be taken off and the wheel popped out of the mold, before being cut down / shaped to what is desired, but that is only the outside area that is cut, not the inside.

There can be a lot of wheel molds all sitting together in rows / lines, so the possibility of getting just one wheel mold wrong from fifty to a hundred is still going to cause one wheel in every twelve to twenty five or so sets to be out, which might not sound like a whole lot, but that is still way too many wheels that can have issues in a few thousand sets of each shape / mold / run.

Stands to reason that some shapes have more issues than others, as dramas can unfold with new molds being created, whereas old molds might all be exactly correct for the tried and tested wheels, like Classics.

That's my take on it anyway.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1589 on: October 11, 2023, 05:09:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It would be even just one of the molds for those wheel shapes that is a touch out, or not calibrated correctly, that would cause the shape issue.  I have seen other brands like Bones cutting out their own molds from aluminium or some metal like it and pouring urethane wheels, but not Spitfire, so don't know exactly how the mold sits, but there is usually a bottom cup like piece and then a top piece that fits in / locks in place for the duration of the process, which can then be taken off and the wheel popped out of the mold, before being cut down / shaped to what is desired, but that is only the outside area that is cut, not the inside.

There can be a lot of wheel molds all sitting together in rows / lines, so the possibility of getting just one wheel mold wrong from fifty to a hundred is still going to cause one wheel in every twelve to twenty five or so sets to be out, which might not sound like a whole lot, but that is still way too many wheels that can have issues in a few thousand sets of each shape / mold / run.

Stands to reason that some shapes have more issues than others, as dramas can unfold with new molds being created, whereas old molds might all be exactly correct for the tried and tested wheels, like Classics.

That's my take on it anyway.
They want me to send my wheels back to them, so hopefully they figure something out. Cause one bad wheel can ruin an entire setup. The other three worked perfectly. Kinda makes me wish they sold single wheels lol