Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364332 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #4710 on: September 03, 2023, 06:50:50 PM »
about to try forged 6.1s with a 14.5 wb board
wish me luck
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4711 on: September 03, 2023, 06:57:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

6.1 cast: +3.125
forged: +3.25

source: the only trucks i ride
[close]

Thanks for that!

As I posted in another thread:

I just set up an 8.75 Polar board with 14.375 wb on the basic Venture 6.1 trucks and the thing actually feels way more fun than I would have thought.  Had the trucks on something else before that, which just wasn't doing it for me, but I thought I should mix it up and see how it goes.  All second hand / used parts, just figuring out what works and what doesn't work.

Other longer wb boards also feel ok with these trucks too, like the DLX 8.75 shape / white eagle which has 14.62 wb, but I prefer the more mellow / less steep kicks on anything I ride which might have helped it work for me on my mellow boards too.
[close]

i don’t skate big boards, but 6.1s with the loose trucks bushing kit sound like a lot of fun

The stock bushings are actually worn in nicely and quite loose enough on these ones, although I have tightened them down another full turn for others to skate the board at the next session and they feel really firm right now.

I did get some of those loose truck bushing kits just to see what they were like (and because they are green bushings) and they definitely go nicely when I tighten the kingpin nut down more, or put them on boards I have machined down the kingpins significantly to allow for hangers that are down to the axle.

wish me luck

You usually rode 14 or similar wheelbases didn't you?

Good luck any which way!!!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

richard00800

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #4712 on: September 03, 2023, 09:31:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve been lurking on this thread for a long time. Been on ventures recently and enjoying the differences from aces and thunders.

However, the top bushing is just getting blown out right away.

On my 2nd set of bushings after only a few weeks riding these 5.2. I thought upgrading to thunder aftermarket 100a top bushings would be more resilient. Wrong!

Anyone got a recommendation for more appropriate replacements, or will I just need to spend another $10 every 2 weeks on new bushings?
[close]

I had Indy blue top but the bottom just blew so now I’m on Indy blue 92 and they felt okay. Little stiffer feeling than stock while not having to show as many threads. But I’m sure they’ll loosen up some once the bottoms break in.
[close]

Well after today the blue Indy 92 set seemed too stiff for me. So I’m either gonna out a flat washer on the bottom barrel or would I need the top conical to be a flat washer? If that’s what it needs? I want the stability but more turn. The stock bushings kinda gave me that. But they cracked on me and started getting less stable at center.  I put Royal bottoms in and they are taller than the venture bottoms. They feel good but are definitely taller.

Ace bushings? I have some 92a indy conical bushings laying around?  Any recommendations?

flat washer on top, flat bottom washer may not make huge difference

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4713 on: September 03, 2023, 10:21:01 PM »
wish me luck

it might work great!
i rode the griffin gas shape, about the same wb (it’s like 14.43), and i LOVED that board. i got a brophy shape right after that, 14.75 wb, and liked that one as well. and i’m 5’7”, and feel at home on the girl 7.75. soooooo.

anyways, hope it goes well

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #4714 on: September 04, 2023, 12:10:20 AM »
What's the hardness of Venture stock bushings?

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4715 on: September 04, 2023, 01:06:30 AM »
I caved and bought some "used" Venture 5.8 V-lights hollows. How much does the loose trucks conversion kit effect its wb?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #4716 on: September 04, 2023, 01:19:04 AM »
I caved and bought some "used" Venture 5.8 V-lights hollows. How much does the loose trucks conversion kit effect its wb?

None, its only the top bushing thats shorter

Vintagebody

• Rep: 84
« Reply #4717 on: September 04, 2023, 01:26:34 AM »
Doesnt that pull the hangar down and change the geo slightly?

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4718 on: September 04, 2023, 04:20:02 AM »
Doesnt that pull the hangar down and change the geo slightly?

Nah, the hanger sits under the top bushing and is therefore unaffected by it. The bottom bushing is the same height as the stock one, so the geometry is the same.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #4719 on: September 04, 2023, 04:27:42 AM »

Stock bushings are all 90 duro, regardless of which colour they are.  They used to be a lot harder quite a while back, as per some older ones that were said to be 98 duro, but now everything is 90 and has been for a few years now at least.

Kind of funny now Venture, Thunder and Indy all have 90 as stock bushings, whereas other brands have more specific options like Ace, 91 top and 86 bottoms.  Most of the generic or beginner boards all come with 90 duro bushings now too, which is good, as it works well for everyone, especially the smaller and lighter people using them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4720 on: September 04, 2023, 05:02:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stock bushings are all 90 duro, regardless of which colour they are.  They used to be a lot harder quite a while back, as per some older ones that were said to be 98 duro, but now everything is 90 and has been for a few years now at least.

Kind of funny now Venture, Thunder and Indy all have 90 as stock bushings, whereas other brands have more specific options like Ace, 91 top and 86 bottoms.  Most of the generic or beginner boards all come with 90 duro bushings now too, which is good, as it works well for everyone, especially the smaller and lighter people using them.
There is no way my Ventures were 90. Had a terrible time with them. Sold them to a friend and back to Ace.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4721 on: September 04, 2023, 06:50:39 AM »
According to DLX they all are but the black Kader Venture bushings feel harder for sure.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4722 on: September 04, 2023, 07:15:48 AM »
everyone's insistence that venture bushings aren't 90a really goes to show how the geometry and design of a truck can affect things

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4723 on: September 04, 2023, 10:48:10 AM »
Durometer is just shoving a needle into something and getting a single measurement. It doesn't measure things like rebound, how temperature changes the urethane, and how resilient the urethane is to stress.

In any sport with tires you'll see this all the time and Durometer isn't really used often. In bike tires if you have the same duro rubber but a different sidewall and/or casing the tire will behave completely different.

Lots of people seem to think DLX bushings that are a solid color behave differently than ones that are translucent.

Meathook

• Rep: 78
« Reply #4724 on: September 04, 2023, 04:08:40 PM »
Durometer is just shoving a needle into something and getting a single measurement. It doesn't measure things like rebound, how temperature changes the urethane, and how resilient the urethane is to stress.

In any sport with tires you'll see this all the time and Durometer isn't really used often. In bike tires if you have the same duro rubber but a different sidewall and/or casing the tire will behave completely different.

Lots of people seem to think DLX bushings that are a solid color behave differently than ones that are translucent.

In my experience with both venture and Thunder, the semi transparent stock bushings usually always split crack or explode.  When I have sets that have opaque bushings as stock or deluxe bait and tackle, have had no issues.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4725 on: September 04, 2023, 04:19:14 PM »
I've had them all die, the Thunder white bushings were by far the worst. They were really soft and lasted <2 weeks before the top split in half while skating.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4726 on: September 04, 2023, 04:29:19 PM »
I think I’m happy with Indy 92a top and stock indy bottom. One ish thread showing. I do kinda hate the miss match color. But I’m kinda debating on indy conical blues. I’m going through bushing madness hard now that my stock ventures cracked

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4727 on: September 04, 2023, 08:17:09 PM »
somehow i have avoided bushing madness, for the most part.
i’ve tried a few conical bushings in ventures, and the turn was different for certain. bones hards worked well. i think i’ve come around to the cylinders, and kinda tight (when i’m riding the lo’s).
when trucks are too loose, i lose pop. don’t like it.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4728 on: September 05, 2023, 05:33:12 AM »
i’ve tried a few conical bushings in ventures, and the turn was different for certain. bones hards worked well. i think i’ve come around to the cylinders, and kinda tight (when i’m riding the lo’s).

I feel you. I lose pop the looser I get. I’ve been skating a park a lot when I can now and it has really fun kinda mellow transition. And that’s why I’m trying get a bit more turn. But I want to be able to hit the transition with out like kinda tic tacing (I’m bad at transition) but not lose pop cause the ledge at the park is fun as hell

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4729 on: September 05, 2023, 06:58:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel you. I lose pop the looser I get. I’ve been skating a park a lot when I can now and it has really fun kinda mellow transition. And that’s why I’m trying get a bit more turn. But I want to be able to hit the transition with out like kinda tic tacing (I’m bad at transition) but not lose pop cause the ledge at the park is fun as hell

i’m a big big fan of ventures, but they are not ace, or the ilk. meaning, they have a very obviously different turn (which i appreciate, on what i skate), that MAY be less good for some, especially in transition. i used to use the hard bones, no bottom washer, the lower conical bushing gave me a bit more swerve, maybe it brought the effective wb in a touch, idk. i did lose a bit of stability, and bones bushings can be expensive and not last very long. i recommend using the hard bushings, slightly looser, as the hard ones were significantly better for me in both longevity and in return.

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 315
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #4730 on: September 05, 2023, 08:19:58 AM »
I recently scored some venture lows from a fellow slap user. I mainly wanted them to secure some new cast plates, but am intrigued in trying them out one day. I did a majority of my early skating on Thunder 147s so I think I could get used to the lower height with no major complaints

question for venture low advocates
what boards do you typically ride them with? I was thinking of throwing them on a FA since I won't be setting it up with venture highs as I hated that combo
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 11:27:30 AM by notinternetfamous »

richard00800

• Rep: 14
« Reply #4731 on: September 05, 2023, 09:22:01 AM »
I recently scored some venture lows from a fellow slap user. I mainly wanted them to secure some new cast plates, but am intrigued in trying them out one day. I did a majority of my early skating on Thunder 147s so I think I could get used to the lower height with no major complaints

what boards do you typically ride them with? I was thinking of throwing them on a FA since I won't be setting it up with venture highs as I hated that combo

PJ ladd set up: (actually 7.9"), (currently skate this setup)
Plan B 8"/31.33" if you are a short person, nice crispy pop and flick, but it has small tail, you can find 31.75" one for more average board feel when skating switch.

Old Sewa set up:(8.125")
Blind last longer for it's epoxy glue, no concave on nose and tail (complete flat), nice and poppy, need a couple days to loosen up the deck (too hard in first few days)

Yuto setup:(8")
April deck, great in first few weeks, then gets soggy quickly, I usually skate 2.5 month for a deck, but April only last me 1.5~2 month. It's almost in between twin tail or twin nose shape, great for nollie/switch flips.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #4732 on: September 05, 2023, 09:31:59 AM »
I think I’m happy with Indy 92a top and stock indy bottom. One ish thread showing. I do kinda hate the miss match color. But I’m kinda debating on indy conical blues. I’m going through bushing madness hard now that my stock ventures cracked

Honestly just do blue the whole way I'd wager the nut will still be flush or a tad bit past.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4733 on: September 05, 2023, 11:56:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

PJ ladd set up: (actually 7.9"), (currently skate this setup)
Plan B 8"/31.33" if you are a short person, nice crispy pop and flick, but it has small tail, you can find 31.75" one for more average board feel when skating switch.

Old Sewa set up:(8.125")
Blind last longer for it's epoxy glue, no concave on nose and tail (complete flat), nice and poppy, need a couple days to loosen up the deck (too hard in first few days)

Yuto setup:(8")
April deck, great in first few weeks, then gets soggy quickly, I usually skate 2.5 month for a deck, but April only last me 1.5~2 month. It's almost in between twin tail or twin nose shape, great for nollie/switch flips.

dick coming in with the specific recommendations, i love it.

i don’t like fa boards, i just don’t like steep stuff. that being said, one of the things with venture lo’s, for me, is that they just work, on pretty much everything.
i really like the girl 7.75, and 7.875 shapes, they are short tho (which is why i like them, shorter tail and that)
ps stix anything 8 ish, 14.25 or less.
similar to 147s, 52 is the max wheel size for me on lo’s, worn down to 50 is best.
i skate the trucks tighter. you’ll be ok, promise.
if you need more turning, go into your side yard and use a hula hoop for awhile and get it out of your system. if that doesn’t work, try removing the bottom washer, using indy stock bushing, using bones bushings (i always went without the bottom washer), and then with any of the bushing combos, i used to run a flat top washer, opens the turning up a bit. now i don’t fuck with that tho.
i need to move my popping foot to the absolute tippy tip of the tail/nose. which works great for me cuz this is what i had to do to get a street cab with 157s and slimeballs off of the ground as a 5’ (if) tall, 80
pound child.

my only complaints with the lo’s are the wheel size, skating rougher ground. but then i need to remind myself that i’m just a little baby, bobby was on lo’s for moving in traffic, he made it work. i can do the same. i need to stop whining.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #4734 on: September 06, 2023, 02:02:40 AM »
re: ventures not with short wheelbase

i have been teaching a lady friend how to skate
was going to put her on ventures but the local was out of 6.1s
went with ace 60s and the dlx 8.75/32.5/14.625wb

i did a couple of flip tricks and goddamn
the added wheelbase and length didnt feel off at all
not to mention the +400g weight was hardly noticeable
pop feel was similar, just missing the needed venture stability
the effective wb is close to what i ride so maybe thats it?
you all know i notoriously like short wb, trust me im baffled

my current ride is 8.75/31.75/14wb
it has been feeling too short for a while but is it wb or length?

anyway, the longer board gave me more confidence
more space to set up comfortably
rotations even felt easier, the weight made em whip around
basically everything felt better outside of ace squirrellyness

so im picking up a polar 9.0/32.25/14.5wb deck to test stock
pairing it up with 6.1 hollows
at best, i backtrack on all the times i said it doesnt work
at worst, i can just redrill it to 14.125wb and keep the length

anyone here running 14.5wb and ventures these days?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 02:11:54 AM by munchbox »
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4735 on: September 06, 2023, 02:24:25 AM »

Yup, 5.8 Hollows on the Ishod 8.5 twin (14.5 / 32.2) has been my go-to setup for almost a year now, most of the time frankentrucked with old cast baseplates. Lately I've had trouble getting that deck though, so I took that as an opportunity to give shorter wheelbases a shot. 14.25 is the lowest I can go without it feeling to far off, and then I'll use forged baseplates to  push the WB out a little more. I've simply come to appreciate the stability of a long effective wheelbase I guess.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #4736 on: September 06, 2023, 06:27:43 AM »
i'm skating a 9" eagle that has a 15" wb on cast 6.1s.  it definitely feels like alot of board, but i'm tall with big feet and determined to make it work.  worth mentioning i'm skating mostly flat, and curbs & ledges

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #4737 on: September 08, 2023, 05:48:05 PM »
i'm skating a 9" eagle that has a 15" wb on cast 6.1s.  it definitely feels like alot of board, but i'm tall with big feet and determined to make it work.  worth mentioning i'm skating mostly flat, and curbs & ledges

This old dude at my local skates the same setup and kills it in transition. If you can make that tank work then more power to you.

I’ve been on thunders for a hot minute but recently setup 5.8 titanium hangers on standard baseplates and so far it’s been super fun.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4738 on: September 08, 2023, 08:38:40 PM »
re: ventures not with short wheelbase

i have been teaching a lady friend how to skate
was going to put her on ventures but the local was out of 6.1s
went with ace 60s and the dlx 8.75/32.5/14.625wb

i did a couple of flip tricks and goddamn
the added wheelbase and length didnt feel off at all
not to mention the +400g weight was hardly noticeable
pop feel was similar, just missing the needed venture stability
the effective wb is close to what i ride so maybe thats it?
you all know i notoriously like short wb, trust me im baffled

my current ride is 8.75/31.75/14wb
it has been feeling too short for a while but is it wb or length?

anyway, the longer board gave me more confidence
more space to set up comfortably
rotations even felt easier, the weight made em whip around
basically everything felt better outside of ace squirrellyness

so im picking up a polar 9.0/32.25/14.5wb deck to test stock
pairing it up with 6.1 hollows
at best, i backtrack on all the times i said it doesnt work
at worst, i can just redrill it to 14.125wb and keep the length

awhile back i got annoyed with myself only skating 14” wb, or less, and started trying to go the other way. i used to have a really really odd board, that amongst many other quirks, had a 14.75 wb. i could treflip it pretty easily, which is a trip because sometimes i will go FORFUCJINFEVER without landing a one, or a good one, on setups that really only have that sole purpose.

so anyways, i started off with a griffin gass shape, just less than 14.5. board was amazing. wrong thread for all of this nonsense, for many reasons, most saliently: i was skating thunder 149s. loved that setup. instead of getting another one and calling it good, i then moved on to trying the next longest wb that was readily available to me in that moment, that chud brophy’s board, with a 14.75 wb. that board skated very well. nonsense.
the brophy was too big, but did a lot of what i wanted it to do, and when that stuff worked, it was extremely satisfying. i think it was  @Sedition that mentioned this in another thread, paraphrasing: bigger board is more satisfying/feels better, even at the expense of tricks.

because you are, if i remember, a pretty tall person, i’ve wondered if that dipshit brophy’s board would work well for you. the proportions are nice.

i think effective wb is a trap. there is some other magic that is a foot. i love my venture lo’s on the girl boards with the sub 14” wb, but if i had to guess, it’s really the tail on that shape, and the overall length of the board, that i enjoy.

once again i’ve written a lot, said little of note.
i don’t have some personal grudge against brophy. just seemed like he did drugs with carroll and got onto a team i used to love. i favor the idea of a diet reese, it’s just not….

sort of on track: i’d be surprised if a longer board didn’t help you out.
and ventures are sick. i don’t even try and match the trucks and the wb anymore.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 10:34:42 PM by Ok »

Horsemeat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4739 on: September 08, 2023, 09:35:21 PM »
I agree with the “effective wheelbase is bogus” point. Went through such severe gear madness over Covid time, that I now have something like 14 sets of trucks 8.0-8.75 in multiple brands. I tried pairing so many things based off the “science” and to match my short height. It wasn’t until I just tried completely random setups that I found stuff that worked for me. 

Example: these are all setups I tried with the Ishod 8.38 twin tail

Venture 5.8, 5.6 with whatever wheels all felt perfect. I didn’t try this for so long because I thought it’d be clunky. The pop was so intense I’d feel it snap into my feet, unlike any other setup I had ventures on.

Indy 149 standards, good feeling pop but sluggish and heavy feeling

Ace 44 classics which I think are actually heavier than 149 Indy’s felt light poppy and fun even with 55mm wide heavy wheels.

149 thunders with 53mm wheels on the same board had a dull terrible feeling pop

And the setup that made me give up on all this calculating: 148 thunders on 52 mm spitfires had a super light crisp pop and felt almost as good as ventures. There should be barely any difference between the 149 thunders tho, right?

Idk but bringing it back to venture 2020, the twin tail, venture setup cured my madness. Got me back enjoying skating, once the madness fog cleared.