Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364293 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5220 on: November 27, 2023, 07:15:27 PM »
SW has the 'loose edition' with the current sale

https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Venture_Loose_Team_Edition_Trucks/descpage-VTLSTR.html

FWIW I ran Ace bottoms with the LOW hard top and it was perfect on ventures.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5221 on: November 27, 2023, 11:42:07 PM »
Are that many people riding the loose kit? Other than Slap I have never seen any in the wild but then again SD people are always amazed I'm on Ventures in the first place.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #5222 on: November 28, 2023, 01:59:26 AM »
Are that many people riding the loose kit? Other than Slap I have never seen any in the wild but then again SD people are always amazed I'm on Ventures in the first place.

SD seems like Theeve territory based on the Mystery team a lot of them seem to be sponsored by Theeve
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #5223 on: November 28, 2023, 03:02:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Would much rather see 5.6/5.8 lows than this.
[close]
[close]

i mean this is just a bushing switch, for wider lows they would have to get new molds and shit

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5224 on: November 28, 2023, 04:11:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

SD seems like Theeve territory based on the Mystery team a lot of them seem to be sponsored by Theeve

Rhino lives here so it's basically:

Indy: 80%
Ace: 10%
Thunder: 5%

And then everything else here or there.

He's definitely showed up to parks and offered people not riding Indy's a free set and hooks up a lot of younger kids that show potential, older dudes that aren't pro but rip, and friends of the above.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5225 on: November 28, 2023, 03:21:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They were through the same distro, but not sure now.

Any which way, I feel like the percentage of skaters on that brand are less than .1% so even though at peak there was a fair bit more interest than there is now (I might be being generous there) but it seemed like there were still not that many people riding them apart from those who got them from team packages and connections and the like.

Not hating, but just making observations.

Either way, the big four are the big four for a reason - they do the job and do it well.

As for seeing people riding those green bushings, not many at all from what I have seen, but the kids do benefit from them the most - not having to modify them, can just put them in and away they go.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Kaydubbb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #5226 on: November 29, 2023, 02:21:17 AM »
Just got some venture 6.1s with the cast baseplate to try, haven't ridden ventures in about a decade and have been floating between Indy and Ace and most recently was enjoying the tensor ATG. I wanted something with an 8.75 axel to slap on my new quasi 8.625, and holy shit the wheel bite on these is insane. I'm pretty having at around 105kg and I've tried a few different bushing combos but man these wheel bite fast, anyone else experience this? Always read that venture were good for wheel bite.

juniormint

• Rep: 142
« Reply #5227 on: November 29, 2023, 03:01:01 AM »
Just got some venture 6.1s with the cast baseplate to try, haven't ridden ventures in about a decade and have been floating between Indy and Ace and most recently was enjoying the tensor ATG. I wanted something with an 8.75 axel to slap on my new quasi 8.625, and holy shit the wheel bite on these is insane. I'm pretty having at around 105kg and I've tried a few different bushing combos but man these wheel bite fast, anyone else experience this? Always read that venture were good for wheel bite.

I hover at around 90kg and have always found the blue Indy aftermarket’s great in my 6.1s. Maybe try the black Indy ones or potentially where you are some deluxe tack and supply black ones.

Kaydubbb

« Reply #5228 on: November 29, 2023, 03:07:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hover at around 90kg and have always found the blue Indy aftermarket’s great in my 6.1s. Maybe try the black Indy ones or potentially where you are some deluxe tack and supply black ones.

I've tried the black Indy bushings and purple tack and supply, ones both didn't work. I'm running 53mm bones v5 shape and it just feels like theres almost no room between start of turn and then wheelbite. The only way I can get them half decent is with an ace hard bushing board side and a bones hard road side, but I've never enjoyed the way bones bushings feel. I probably just need to lose some weight.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5229 on: November 29, 2023, 02:10:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've tried the black Indy bushings and purple tack and supply, ones both didn't work. I'm running 53mm bones v5 shape and it just feels like theres almost no room between start of turn and then wheelbite. The only way I can get them half decent is with an ace hard bushing board side and a bones hard road side, but I've never enjoyed the way bones bushings feel. I probably just need to lose some weight.

Sounds like you need:

Yellow Indys @96a if the 94a blks don't work....
Or go white 98a/blk 100s doh dohs....
....or 100a Mini Logos (underrated bushings cuz ML).

Dropping a few pounds does help. I'm cutting and already down 5lbs at around 193 but bumped to indy blacks from indy blue (nut flush/149s).

I found that after riding Ventures, I wanted all my trucks to be tight and turn less :P Royals (with ACE hards) might as well be ACEs for me now...Even Indys with blks I had to crank down from nut flush to get where I wanted them.

Switch back to (149) Ventures and doing fine.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #5230 on: November 29, 2023, 02:32:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I got u bro. I’m a chonker myself. I’m down to 106, started the year at 125.

I’ve been fucking with bushings like you won’t believe.

Was given some shitty trucks by our janitor, and they had this slightly cuppier cupped washer. That goes snugly up the side of the bottom bushing.
This really stiffens up a bushing. It compresses more progressively as you get near the end of the turning action as bushing has fewer places to expand.

I’ve ditched my 169s (left) but I put in stock bushings and washers beforehand. Now I’m on 159 forged hollow and 56mm. I run them tight af. Maybe I’ll add a skinny riser. The black washer, with the mini logo 100a, and a bones hard on top really works. The mini logos are plenty good, and the bones gives it that snap back to center.

I believe there’s a longboard brand called Caliber that makes washers that looks similar. Beware that they come in different sizes.

Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Kaydubbb

« Reply #5231 on: November 30, 2023, 08:28:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Was given some shitty trucks by our janitor, and they had this slightly cuppier cupped washer. That goes snugly up the side of the bottom bushing.
This really stiffens up a bushing. It compresses more progressively as you get near the end of the turning action as bushing has fewer places to expand.

I’ve ditched my 169s (left) but I put in stock bushings and washers beforehand. Now I’m on 159 forged hollow and 56mm. I run them tight af. Maybe I’ll add a skinny riser. The black washer, with the mini logo 100a, and a bones hard on top really works. The mini logos are plenty good, and the bones gives it that snap back to center.

I believe there’s a longboard brand called Caliber that makes washers that looks similar. Beware that they come in different sizes.

I had some old super cupped washers laying around and I've chucked them in and your right, it's a massive improvement. Cheers for the tip.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
« Reply #5232 on: December 01, 2023, 04:42:45 PM »

I believe there’s a longboard brand called Caliber

there was some noise on here around the release of caliber 3s

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #5233 on: December 02, 2023, 04:28:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I had some old super cupped washers laying around and I've chucked them in and your right, it's a massive improvement. Cheers for the tip.

Yay! I was helpful on Slap 😊
Cuppier cupped washers do wonders for wheelbite.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5234 on: December 02, 2023, 07:06:01 AM »
The nice thing about Ventures is even when you get wheelbite you can often ride it out. I dunno how the geo works for it but I feel it slow me a bit and then rebound out rather than just get stopped dead in my tracks.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #5235 on: December 02, 2023, 07:22:33 AM »
The nice thing about Ventures is even when you get wheelbite you can often ride it out. I dunno how the geo works for it but I feel it slow me a bit and then rebound out rather than just get stopped dead in my tracks.

Yeah, my wheelbite marks are only one specific spot with Ventures. Indys and especially Ace give you those long dragging wheelbite grooves.

If ya toss a lil wax on that one wheelbite spot with Ventures, it doesn't seem to stop you so harshly.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #5236 on: December 02, 2023, 07:55:30 AM »
ventures it's almost like a braking system.....you just go at a 45 degree angle while you slowly decelerate to a complete stop.....

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5237 on: December 08, 2023, 12:25:29 PM »
gonna switch back to barrel bottoms asap
bones hards were good for a few sessions but got mushy
and with radial fulls, the wheelbite gets annoying

anyone try 98a white doh dohs or 100a mini logo bushings?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #5238 on: December 08, 2023, 09:53:19 PM »

Hey I found some extra bushings. I noticed that there's a big colour differentiation between the sf and the mexico pours.

The dark one is from right when COVID hit. The light are the current. As seen on my 6.1s. also either the kingpin is longer in 6.1s and 5.8s or the bushings are softer now.

I prefer the current clear style for sure
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5239 on: December 09, 2023, 04:41:50 AM »

Hey I found some extra bushings. I noticed that there's a big colour differentiation between the sf and the mexico pours.

The dark one is from right when COVID hit. The light are the current. As seen on my 6.1s. also either the kingpin is longer in 6.1s and 5.8s or the bushings are softer now.

how you liking the 6.1s?

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #5240 on: December 09, 2023, 09:08:43 AM »
I just started a new set of 6.1s on an 8.75 (my first 8.75) and put the black aftermarket Indy bushings in. Very nice and already feel broken in. I’m a heavier dude tho…234lbs.

chaosisme

• Rep: 56
  • mankind is unkind man
« Reply #5241 on: December 09, 2023, 03:26:54 PM »
I’ve skated 5.2 lows most of my life and I am very attached but the impressionable person I am has noticed pros switching to highs and I was wondering if anyone else has made this switch and what your experience was ? (5.0 and 5.2 only)
mankind is unkind man

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #5242 on: December 09, 2023, 03:48:36 PM »
I’ve skated 5.2 lows most of my life and I am very attached but the impressionable person I am has noticed pros switching to highs and I was wondering if anyone else has made this switch and what your experience was ? (5.0 and 5.2 only)

I've skated 5.2 Highs on forged plates mostly, but have spent a good amount of time on 5.2 Low cast. Switched back and forth twice I think.

Same truck and geo, just the height difference. That translates to higher effort, higher yield with the highs, and snappier, 'easier' pop on the lows FOR ME.

I like em both. If I did a lot of smith grinds and always wanted the 'best' pop, I'd choose the highs.

So far I've settled on the 5.2 forged highs on mellower boards and the 5.2 low cast on steeper boards.

chaosisme

• Rep: 56
  • mankind is unkind man
« Reply #5243 on: December 09, 2023, 04:03:04 PM »
Brilliant answer! Thank you!
mankind is unkind man

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 136
« Reply #5244 on: December 09, 2023, 05:13:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've skated 5.2 Highs on forged plates mostly, but have spent a good amount of time on 5.2 Low cast. Switched back and forth twice I think.

Same truck and geo, just the height difference. That translates to higher effort, higher yield with the highs, and snappier, 'easier' pop on the lows FOR ME.

I like em both. If I did a lot of smith grinds and always wanted the 'best' pop, I'd choose the highs.

So far I've settled on the 5.2 forged highs on mellower boards and the 5.2 low cast on steeper boards.

Went back and forth on both.
Same as you, great pop on High and kingpin clearance on forged and they skated really good.

smoother pinch on crooks and balance 5.2 lows on cast plates but also skated really good. Lows look better though, you don't get the big ass gap between your wheels and deck when you ride smaller wheels lol

I can do everything on both though. I mostly skate ledges and flat though. Occasionally a gap.

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #5245 on: December 09, 2023, 07:46:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This guy knows,
I’m on my first set of 5.2 highs (forged plates), rode the lows last year, y most recently on thunder 147. I’m skating the highs on a mini logo, so really mellow. The pop angle is 33 degrees.
I love this setup so far. Try it out.
The post above is pretty much my experience as well.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5246 on: December 09, 2023, 07:56:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

how you liking the 6.1s?

They're killer. The only downside is they're the same size as my double sided curb. With 58mm wheels you can't unlock. You just kinda go from 50 to NG and stop.

If I throw a wilder wheel on problem solved I assume. Was the same with the 5.8 when riding the 58mm Dragons.

I switched back to ogs and I was able to be on top again.

I got a new curb tho so it's fine.

Also I might order wheels tomorrow. I been looking. I can't wait till spring
(A)pl(E)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5247 on: December 10, 2023, 06:58:49 AM »
Venture Lo are super fun for slappies. I had an 8" deck with them earlier this year and some 51 classics and was surprised at how fucking easy most slappy tricks were.

I enjoyed the snap at first but like other posters said the overall pop can be a bit lower than the highs. If you can adjust to the timing of the highs they will reward you but it can be frustrating if you're not used to the heft.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5248 on: December 10, 2023, 09:38:07 PM »
Venture Lo are super fun for slappies. I had an 8" deck with them earlier this year and some 51 classics and was surprised at how fucking easy most slappy tricks were.

I enjoyed the snap at first but like other posters said the overall pop can be a bit lower than the highs. If you can adjust to the timing of the highs they will reward you but it can be frustrating if you're not used to the heft.

I agree low trucks are sick for slappies. Maybe that's why a lot of ogs swear by tracker.
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5249 on: December 10, 2023, 10:50:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

how you liking the 6.1s?
[close]

They're killer. The only downside is they're the same size as my double sided curb. With 58mm wheels you can't unlock. You just kinda go from 50 to NG and stop.

If I throw a wilder wheel on problem solved I assume. Was the same with the 5.8 when riding the 58mm Dragons.

I switched back to ogs and I was able to be on top again.

I got a new curb tho so it's fine.

Also I might order wheels tomorrow. I been looking. I can't wait till spring

I have been trying to restrain myself from buying 6.1 hollow after I just bought those 5.8 but I started skating a specific curb again that allows you to sit on top and you need an 875 truck; 149s and V3’s won’t cut it. Went to 159 forged hollows then back to 159 royals…but i was really feeling the pinch with those cast 5.8s.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 07:05:23 PM by Xen »