Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 215747 times)

mstuntbless and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #3750 on: August 08, 2023, 06:57:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What causes decks to warp? Moisture? Pressed incorrectly? Too much / little glue? Stacking?

Don't think I've ever skated a warped one and wouldn't be able to tell if I got 1.
[close]

More often than not it is from heat, or incorrect storage, but I feel like there must be something in either the process or the wood itself that tends to cause more issues.

Often boards left on the wall or in shop windows, especially sun facing, tended to warp more than others, but other times, it is just seemingly random that quite a few boards from a run will warp more than others.

To stand on a warped board, or even putting on on a counter, it will tilt more one way than the other, or if set up, one wheel is often off the ground, when trucks are in a normal position.  Most of the time it is not so bad, but some boards will definitely feel weird if they warp a certain way for how you stand on a board, eg front heel side sitting up more than the toe can be the worst one.

People will often have different ways of dealing with it, but I offset a board on a flat surface, like a garage, with small pieces of wood, then weigh it down under other boards and put bricks on top and leave it for a week, which pushes it the other way and evens it out.  I have had almost all the boards come back to straight or almost straight from this and skated well, but some just can't be helped and will warp back again in no time.  They are the ones I think there was something in the wood that makes them do that, more so than an environmental factor at play.
[close]

It's not sun facing the boards most likely it's the way they were pressed and cured. Wood glue melting temp is far above the temp of a board in a window- skating outside on a hot day in the sun would be hotter. It is likely a combo of things, but probably not as much pressure when pressed or moved to cure and there is something with the way the glue disperses or potential moisture in the veneers.
[close]

while you're right that process, curing and moisture play a larger role in warping, you don't need glue to literally melt to alter the quality of the bonding with wood. It's still recommended to avoid temperature variations when you're storing plywood.
[close]

Definitely- you never want huge swings and it doesn't have to fully melt. I think that boards sitting in a shop even with sun on them is less likely to cause that then them sitting in some kind of storage container during shipping. A really hot car trunk in somewhere like Phoenix would likely be the worst high swing I can think of, but most cars, houses, shops, and garages are probably fine.

I think people are more quick to blame their local environment on warping than construction, but I'd think that rushing construction is more likely. I remember during the Covid drought people were reporting on here that they had a lot of BBS decks breaking or having issue and I was talking to a shop owner last week that noted that a lot of warped boards were coming out of there during the pandemic too. I wonder if the process was rushed just to get stuff out.

It was definitely rushed and corners were cut in the production process which caused a lot of quality issues.

Things feel like they are nicely back to normal now though, happy to say.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Phillyflared

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3751 on: August 08, 2023, 07:51:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Been looking to make some skate storage in back of my car for boards and curious what anyone else has going? I have Impreza for reference
Looking for inspo/refernece reminded me of Dyrdek's UAV from a 411vm way back when. It was all murdered out and fully kitted out w/places for a generator/boards/flatbar bolted to frame underneath. Think it was a Suburban or something.
[close]

I've been debating buying storage crate/block things to place in the trunk to better organize essentials and skate gear (2017 Civic here)

I've tried to pause videos of those suburbans/vans that skate brand TMs run for ideas
Thinking probably best to find a small storage box for wax, rub brick, tools, etc and have backpack w/ spare set of clothes/towel. I'm def not a carpenter nor do I have a garage to work in.
Have you see anything interesting or useful? Mainly I see team vans, but that's overkill for my needs
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 10:45:36 PM by Phillyflared »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #3752 on: August 08, 2023, 10:30:17 PM »
I get the storage for tools and parts but doesn’t building in storage lead to leaving your board in your car…..which always ends in an instagram post with a photo of your broken window and a sad face? 

Phillyflared

« Reply #3753 on: August 08, 2023, 10:53:15 PM »
I get the storage for tools and parts but doesn’t building in storage lead to leaving your board in your car…..which always ends in an instagram post with a photo of your broken window and a sad face?
Definitely a good point, but I've always brought my board inside. Always felt like the bushings got softer/harder depending on temp and if it's super hot, boards get soft.
Weirdly though, I've started leaving my skate shoes in the car.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3754 on: August 09, 2023, 02:28:11 AM »
Any pal could chip in on the Telford vs Atlantic topic?
I know I need to go +.5 on Telfords, wonder it the same goes for Atlantic.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3755 on: August 09, 2023, 04:15:55 AM »

I don't know if that helps you, but I like my skate shoes really snug. In NB# I need a US 7 but all Lakai shoes I ever had, I needed a 7,5 US. But yeah, Telford and Atlantic were both a 7,5 US for me.
IG: @flowterspace

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1970
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3756 on: August 09, 2023, 06:43:55 AM »

I'm wearing the Telfords as chillers now and they fit TTS, if you have a regular shaped foot. I'm usually 9.5, but the toe area was really cramped, didn't help that I have huge bunions. Used a shoe stretcher and worn them around town for 3 times, still too tight, gonna need a few more days in the shoe stretcher.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #3757 on: August 09, 2023, 07:00:50 AM »
Atlantic were tts for me, for a snug fit.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3758 on: August 09, 2023, 05:05:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been looking to make some skate storage in back of my car for boards and curious what anyone else has going? I have Impreza for reference
Looking for inspo/refernece reminded me of Dyrdek's UAV from a 411vm way back when. It was all murdered out and fully kitted out w/places for a generator/boards/flatbar bolted to frame underneath. Think it was a Suburban or something.
[close]

I've been debating buying storage crate/block things to place in the trunk to better organize essentials and skate gear (2017 Civic here)

[close]

I've tried to pause videos of those suburbans/vans that skate brand TMs run for ideas
Thinking probably best to find a small storage box for wax, rub brick, tools, etc and have backpack w/ spare set of clothes/towel. I'm def not a carpenter nor do I have a garage to work in.
Have you see anything interesting or useful? Mainly I see team vans, but that's overkill for my needs
Expand Quote
[close]
Definitely a good point, but I've always brought my board inside. Always felt like the bushings got softer/harder depending on temp and if it's super hot, boards get soft.

For the most part, it is only when your stuff, be it skateboard, bag or whatever else is clearly visible that things get broken into easily.

If you keep things covered, or hidden, there is way less chance that your car will be broken into.  I know that is not always the case, but it is one of those things, that random temptation of someone passing by and seeing something in a car, vs with my own car clearly seeing hand prints on every window but not being touched, whereas two other cars around mine in the carpark were broken into, one night in a sketchy area when we were working late, and I had a lot of stuff in the car at that time, just covered by black cloth, and nothing visible.

That said, I usually keep boards or completes in cardboard boxes too, along with spare parts all in their own boxes, so if I need to do anything it is a dozen boxes to pull out, rather than having a ton of loose stuff and taking ages to get anything in or out, so sort of compartmentalised like a TM van but not to the same extent.

I have a small sedan, for reference, so it is good to have a boot / back end I can close and lock with everything tucked away.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1970
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3759 on: August 09, 2023, 08:39:01 PM »
How a deck sounds vs how it feels

Recently picked up some decks and they sounded waterlogged, didn't have the crisp snap of a BBS when I tapped it against the ground without trucks or when it's setup and I snap the deck to my hand. But when I'm riding them they feel just fine.

Crailtap / DSM decks have a very deep resonance when you tap the deck against the ground, like the epoxy or press method they use compresses the plys too much resulting in an overly stiff deck.

I know guys who write off decks that sound off, but those I'm riding feel fine. Not exceptional like a BBS but hardly anything feels like a BBS.

Judging a deck by how it sounds is the most un-scientific approach to judging it's longevity, but is there any truth to the sound of a deck or is it just baloney? I want to believe the latter, I need 1 less factor of madness in my life.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 10:19:18 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3760 on: August 09, 2023, 09:09:21 PM »
I've definetely felt that, BBS has never impressed me for that exact reason. They skate fine but feeling is off when listening the sounds.

I think it has more to do with what i'm used to as i used to exclusively skate overly stiff DSM boards. Something about that stiffness makes my brain feel like it holds pop longer but who really knows.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3761 on: August 09, 2023, 09:24:29 PM »
I love the sound of a flight deck snap. Very crispy.

Phillyflared

« Reply #3762 on: August 09, 2023, 10:18:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

For the most part, it is only when your stuff, be it skateboard, bag or whatever else is clearly visible that things get broken into easily.

If you keep things covered, or hidden, there is way less chance that your car will be broken into.  I know that is not always the case, but it is one of those things, that random temptation of someone passing by and seeing something in a car, vs with my own car clearly seeing hand prints on every window but not being touched, whereas two other cars around mine in the carpark were broken into, one night in a sketchy area when we were working late, and I had a lot of stuff in the car at that time, just covered by black cloth, and nothing visible.

That said, I usually keep boards or completes in cardboard boxes too, along with spare parts all in their own boxes, so if I need to do anything it is a dozen boxes to pull out, rather than having a ton of loose stuff and taking ages to get anything in or out, so sort of compartmentalised like a TM van but not to the same extent.

I have a small sedan, for reference, so it is good to have a boot / back end I can close and lock with everything tucked away.
Board and shoe box it is!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1589
« Reply #3763 on: August 09, 2023, 10:44:20 PM »
I always just expect my car to be broken into…..like once a year…..doesn’t matter if anything is in sight or not….

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #3764 on: August 10, 2023, 07:30:46 AM »

Recently picked up some decks and they sounded waterlogged, didn't have the crisp snap of a BBS when I tapped it against the ground without trucks or when it's setup and I snap the deck to my hand. But when I'm riding them they feel just fine.

Crailtap / DSM decks have a very deep resonance when you tap the deck against the ground, like the epoxy or press method they use compresses the plys too much resulting in an overly stiff deck.

I know guys who write off decks that sound off, but those I'm riding feel fine. Not exceptional like a BBS but hardly anything feels like a BBS.

Judging a deck by how it sounds is the most un-scientific approach to judging it's longevity, but is there any truth to the sound of a deck or is it just baloney? I want to believe the latter, I need 1 less factor of madness in my life.

i noticed the sound of my PS Stix board is a lot more "stiff" or "Flat" sounding than my BBS boards (sounds more like a Dutch Clog hitting the floor). as far as the way it snaps, both of them feel almost identical. I didnt notice any difference transitioning between them.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #3765 on: August 10, 2023, 08:10:20 AM »
I always just expect my car to be broken into…..like once a year…..doesn’t matter if anything is in sight or not….

i suppose that is the tradeoff of living in a small town. i have a problem enough of leaving my skateboards at spots or dropping my wallet or other stupid shit, but have never heard of people getting cars broken into much out here.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3766 on: August 10, 2023, 12:19:11 PM »
My right foot hurt very bad half the day. Went skating anyway, it doesn't seem to hurt anymore. It doesn't make sense to me. Anyone on here had that before?
IG: @flowterspace

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #3767 on: August 10, 2023, 01:54:14 PM »
My right foot hurt very bad half the day. Went skating anyway, it doesn't seem to hurt anymore. It doesn't make sense to me. Anyone on here had that before?

Increased blood flow padded the area. I have hammertoe that pretty much always feels like I’m standing on a marble. Once I start skating it stops hurting and the pain returns a few hours later. The human body is wild.

MC3

• Rep: 138
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #3768 on: August 11, 2023, 01:08:24 PM »
Ok so, I feel really stupid even asking this, but with Spitifire's lock in shape, it means you can't rotate your wheels to get more life out of them right? Or just a different riding experience?
(Cool Trick GIF)

BL0B

• Rep: 417
« Reply #3769 on: August 11, 2023, 01:20:25 PM »
Ok so, I feel really stupid even asking this, but with Spitifire's lock in shape, it means you can't rotate your wheels to get more life out of them right? Or just a different riding experience?

you're not gonna cone F4's. you can move them front to back, right side, left side, ect, ect... and that will even out any wheel size differences, there's no need to flip F4's inside out.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #3770 on: August 11, 2023, 02:01:02 PM »
Has anyone ever tried orthopedic insoles?

My doctor advised me because I have a slight shift in the hips, so one leg is shorter than the other. I doubt the effectiveness of soles, I tell myself that pro skaters only skate the soles of origin  .. sometimes from the footprints but they are not necessarily "medical" insoles, and when I think about it .. we all have our natural body defects, right ?

Honestly, my priority is to protect myself from shocks and take care of my body. That's why I only skate cupsoles now , BUT.. I tell myself that listening to specialist advice is still important.. What do you think ?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 02:13:37 PM by FrenchSkater »

SupremePizza

• Rep: 51
« Reply #3771 on: August 11, 2023, 03:20:11 PM »
I'd definitely listen to your specialist or at the very least try an FP, Remind or preferably Superfeet insoles. I've been running the FP gamechangers for the last few years but will be switching to Superfeet once I'm done with these dunks . I can say they definitely help my knees from getting sore as quickly.

KidCarl

« Reply #3772 on: August 11, 2023, 04:26:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i noticed the sound of my PS Stix board is a lot more "stiff" or "Flat" sounding than my BBS boards (sounds more like a Dutch Clog hitting the floor). as far as the way it snaps, both of them feel almost identical. I didnt notice any difference transitioning between them.
Same, my last pstix deck felt stiff and almost too solid, and weirdly felt like it had no life to it, or "energy". Not trying to be all hippy dippy but a BBS deck in comparison just felt better, the wood seemed nicer, and one I got more attached to. The ps stix board lost pop in a few weeks and I was glad to get off of it.

KidCarl

« Reply #3773 on: August 11, 2023, 04:31:23 PM »
I'm lost when it comes to wheel shapes, but my question is with something like a conical, can you skate them flipped? I've always skated classics mainly, to the best of my memory, and have always put the graphics inward, just as a habit probably from watching pros do it. Can I still do that with a shaped wheel or does that defeat the purpose? Thanks pals

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3774 on: August 11, 2023, 04:37:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you're not gonna cone F4's. you can move them front to back, right side, left side, ect, ect... and that will even out any wheel size differences, there's no need to flip F4's inside out.

It comes down to how someone skates.

I just got a set of F4 back from someone who had never rotated them, so the starting 56 mm, now 55 (front heel) 54 and solidly coned (front toe) 52 (back heel) and 51 slightly coned (back toe) I was just wondering what the person was doing for however long they had them to wear like that, but most people who do rotate wheels never have those sort of end results.

Front toe and back toe to some degree wear more on the outside edge, front heel not much at all, back heel wears more on the inside edge, so as said, rotating them in various ways usually keeps any issues from coming up too much, more so front toe to back heel, back toe to front heel, then to back heel if needed.

Any asymmetrical shaped wheel can have issues though, especially if you don't want to ever flip them over and skate them inwards, but I haven't seen the new ones to see if they are center set or offset in the bearing seat.  If they are center set, then it is not such a big deal to flip them over, but if offset, then you are going to have some very different experiences skating them graphics out or graphics in.

I'm lost when it comes to wheel shapes, but my question is with something like a conical, can you skate them flipped? I've always skated classics mainly, to the best of my memory, and have always put the graphics inward, just as a habit probably from watching pros do it. Can I still do that with a shaped wheel or does that defeat the purpose? Thanks pals

Almost every other shape on the market is symmetrical, so it doesn't matter if you ride them graphics in or out and a lot of people flip them with odd wear patterns too, so some will be in and some out on the same board.  A "cool way" to do it for a lot of people was three in and one out, not that I have ever been into the cool way to do things, but I think they always had the back heel out so they wouldn't have to look at the graphic but still showed what wheel they were on, or something like that.

For those that remove graphics, it makes it easier to ride them any which way you like, but more often than not, graphics in was the more simple and clean look from the 90s right through to the present.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #3775 on: August 12, 2023, 02:47:33 AM »
Don't look further this is the academic answer you're looking for  ;D

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #3776 on: August 12, 2023, 09:33:17 AM »
anyone try hopps boards? do they have good shapes?
i like gx board shapes fyi

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #3777 on: August 12, 2023, 12:17:49 PM »
All wheels will cone eventually if you skate them long enough or hard enough. 100% of wheels I've owned and skated have coned in some amount. Including F4 (skated 3-4 sets over the last few years)
Super Champion Fun Zone

LebowskisRug

« Reply #3778 on: August 12, 2023, 01:18:10 PM »

My doctor advised me because I have a slight shift in the hips, so one leg is shorter than the other. I doubt the effectiveness of soles, I tell myself that pro skaters only skate the soles of origin  .. sometimes from the footprints but they are not necessarily "medical" insoles, and when I think about it .. we all have our natural body defects, right ?

Honestly, my priority is to protect myself from shocks and take care of my body. That's why I only skate cupsoles now , BUT.. I tell myself that listening to specialist advice is still important.. What do you think ?

I use Superfeet insoles in all shoes but Tiagos. I tried Remind and thought they sucked but they at least have useful arch support. FP don't, even if you heat mold them the foam still ends up too soft and doesn't actually push into the rear of your arch. I'm 37 and on days I don't skate I rock climb and I find my joints feel more recovered when I am using supportive insoles.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 604
« Reply #3779 on: August 13, 2023, 04:15:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I use Superfeet insoles in all shoes but Tiagos. I tried Remind and thought they sucked but they at least have useful arch support. FP don't, even if you heat mold them the foam still ends up too soft and doesn't actually push into the rear of your arch. I'm 37 and on days I don't skate I rock climb and I find my joints feel more recovered when I am using supportive insoles.

I also use superfeet and recommend them. If you have insurance or it’s not prohibitively expensive, I’d suggest trying orthotics made for you by the specialist, and if you don’t like them try superfeet, then the other insoles. I’d imagine correcting for a difference in leg length could really help. Personally, I really disliked the orthotics I had made for me and reverted to superfeet, but you may have a different experience given that I only needed the arch support. Goddamn I need caffeine.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.