Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 796840 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #3810 on: May 25, 2021, 07:42:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody seen those Natas OJs in 95a and 58mm?Total old guy bait but I’d stick my hand in that trap to grab em out.
[close]

Yup. I rode 97a creature wheels out of nostalgia and they sucked. They were dry, rough and slow. I even e-mailed NHS to ask what was wrong. I think the elite formula is fine but the regular formula is terrible. I love the shape and size of those Natas wheels but I think I’ll stick with Keyframes.
[close]

The 'from concentrate' or regular OJs are fucking terrible. Elite urethane only if you have to ride the juice.
[close]
Until these posts, I didn't realize there was a difference within OJs lineup. When I saw them the other day, I tried to figure out if they were the same formula as the Nomads but figured if they were, they would say so. Wonder why they didn't use the Elite 95a? Authenticity?

Probably because their target market wouldn’t notice or care. Not sure you had slime balls in 88’ but I don’t think the current formula is the same. Maybe I am falling victim to ‘every thing was better when...’ but I feel like they are not as good now. RainSkates uses their old vendor so I think these are the closest wheels to old slime balls.

https://sk8supply.com/collections/wheels/products/rainskates-mini-tsunami-wheels-59mm-95a-green

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3811 on: May 25, 2021, 09:16:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anybody seen those Natas OJs in 95a and 58mm?Total old guy bait but I’d stick my hand in that trap to grab em out.
[close]

Yup. I rode 97a creature wheels out of nostalgia and they sucked. They were dry, rough and slow. I even e-mailed NHS to ask what was wrong. I think the elite formula is fine but the regular formula is terrible. I love the shape and size of those Natas wheels but I think I’ll stick with Keyframes.
[close]

The 'from concentrate' or regular OJs are fucking terrible. Elite urethane only if you have to ride the juice.
[close]
Until these posts, I didn't realize there was a difference within OJs lineup. When I saw them the other day, I tried to figure out if they were the same formula as the Nomads but figured if they were, they would say so. Wonder why they didn't use the Elite 95a? Authenticity?
[close]

Probably because their target market wouldn’t notice or care. Not sure you had slime balls in 88’ but I don’t think the current formula is the same. Maybe I am falling victim to ‘every thing was better when...’ but I feel like they are not as good now. RainSkates uses their old vendor so I think these are the closest wheels to old slime balls.

https://sk8supply.com/collections/wheels/products/rainskates-mini-tsunami-wheels-59mm-95a-green
Teamriders or GTFO. They were pretty fucking hard for 97a and they lasted forever but probably because they only came in 61mm.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

sketchyrider

« Reply #3812 on: May 26, 2021, 06:26:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

i imagine the nomads are a high-quality version of their urethane, based on price if nothing else...

NyjahsDad

« Reply #3813 on: May 26, 2021, 04:43:36 PM »
So, I've tried all of the Ricta cruisers and my favorite out of the three are the red accented Ricta Cloud 86A cruisers. The light blue 78's were waay too bouncy, even though I liked how incredibly effortless it was to push around with. The black accented 92A ditchriders seemed a little too hard for me, being used to riding Spitfire 80HD's for two years. I really wish Spitfire made wheels with a durometer between 85 and 92, because I'm so used to their Classic shape. I'm more of a tech skater, so its really strange that I like soft wheels, but living in Florida where the streets are rough as fuck from the rain, if I skate normal wheels above 95 hardness it feels like I'm skating with rocks on my trucks and when I pop to do anything I slide all over the place. I also ride a relatively smaller board (8.1) with small Indy Mids, so that might be why I like to grip the pavement a little more. It doesn't effect my nose and tailslides enough for me to care. If anyone can point me in the direction of a rounder 53-54 mm wheel that is between 85 and 92, preferably made by Spitfire, I can finally stop obsessing over this part of my set up. I saw that Spitfire made a new Classic shaped wheel in 53mm that was a bit harder than 85 but I can't find them anywhere.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3814 on: May 26, 2021, 05:51:34 PM »
Not Spits, but I just got some Mini Logo A Cuts in 90a 58mm and they’re fucking amazing. They might be a little wide for your liking though: they’re conical outside edges and classic inner edges. Patch is like 30-33mm depending on size.

NyjahsDad

« Reply #3815 on: May 26, 2021, 07:43:24 PM »
I'd rather the outside be round cuz I flip my board around a lot, also looking for wheels that are 53-54 mm specifically. I'll take a look at Mini thanks.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #3816 on: May 26, 2021, 08:16:30 PM »
I'd rather the outside be round cuz I flip my board around a lot, also looking for wheels that are 53-54 mm specifically. I'll take a look at Mini thanks.

I ride these and they are wide round classics

https://www.smlwheels.com/shop/succulent-cruiser-iris-54mm-92a

NyjahsDad

« Reply #3817 on: May 26, 2021, 09:00:42 PM »
Don't mind a wider wheel as long as they're rounder, do they make 53mm?

Cthunderw

• Rep: 16
« Reply #3818 on: May 26, 2021, 09:31:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Went from bones 103a spf to spitfire classic f4 101s. First attempts at nose slides on a ledge I usually blast right through have not gone well so far. User error?
[close]
F4s cannot be blamed for unsatisfactory noseslide results.
Hahaha too true.

Sorry if you already had, but I thought it was a rule thumb to put a few miles on your new wheels or at least like an hour of skating before you start sliding them. The idea is that you can wear off some of the initial stickiness and help prevent flat spots. Disclaimer: Just something I heard as a kid and never saw a reason to do otherwise.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3819 on: May 26, 2021, 09:41:50 PM »
So, I've tried all of the Ricta cruisers and my favorite out of the three are the red accented Ricta Cloud 86A cruisers. The light blue 78's were waay too bouncy, even though I liked how incredibly effortless it was to push around with. The black accented 92A ditchriders seemed a little too hard for me, being used to riding Spitfire 80HD's for two years. I really wish Spitfire made wheels with a durometer between 85 and 92, because I'm so used to their Classic shape. I'm more of a tech skater, so its really strange that I like soft wheels, but living in Florida where the streets are rough as fuck from the rain, if I skate normal wheels above 95 hardness it feels like I'm skating with rocks on my trucks and when I pop to do anything I slide all over the place. I also ride a relatively smaller board (8.1) with small Indy Mids, so that might be why I like to grip the pavement a little more. It doesn't effect my nose and tailslides enough for me to care. If anyone can point me in the direction of a rounder 53-54 mm wheel that is between 85 and 92, preferably made by Spitfire, I can finally stop obsessing over this part of my set up. I saw that Spitfire made a new Classic shaped wheel in 53mm that was a bit harder than 85 but I can't find them anywhere.

Unless you are very lucky and know someone that still has some, or have a time machine or are a pro rider for Spitfire, the only Spitfire wheels that are commercially available are the 80HD, 97, 99 and 101 duro wheels.

Time machine = the last catalog that had the 92 and 95 Soft D's was around 2016, so five years ago, as per picture below.

Pro rider for Spitfire = TNT recently posted a set of 95 duro wheels they made for him, but at this stage that was a one off and there are no known plans for softer wheels again.

I had a lot of these over the years and although they were perfect for super slippery or rough ground, they did lose their shape, flatspot and have quality issues that often meant they didn't last or became unrideable, but they worked for the things I skated them on.

https://www.spitfirewheels.com/spring16/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3820 on: May 28, 2021, 01:01:20 AM »

Uprise posted some new Reed wheels and although I have never seen them here in AU, I think that shape looks pretty good, not to mention they always look so much better when presented like this, so whoever does the posts for Uprise should get a pay rise too.

Making me want things I do not need...

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3821 on: May 28, 2021, 06:52:46 AM »

Uprise posted some new Reed wheels and although I have never seen them here in AU, I think that shape looks pretty good, not to mention they always look so much better when presented like this, so whoever does the posts for Uprise should get a pay rise too.

Making me want things I do not need...

I think one of the slap patron saints , Marisa dal santo skates for or is some how affiliated with reed wheels. I think it was mentioned in her bunt interview.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #3822 on: May 28, 2021, 12:17:51 PM »
Been thinking about this cut for a while now, thankfully my bud John at Acid Chem Co. let me come in and bug the shit out of him to do this shape and landed on two different cut options.   

Wanted to get fellow wheel nerd's thoughts on the two cuts below - both 101a with Acid's REM formula (will do 99a too), same riding surface with an outer radius cut.

Inner:
- The shape up top has a deeper 'lock-in' cut
-The bottom shape's cut isn't as deep with more radius

Been riding both the past couple days and I am torn, the functionality is the same but I feel like the visual perspective will make a big difference. One thing I really like is not having to use 3 spacers on ace classic 44s, this cut gives full grind clearance.   

Damn, they look very nice. Any chance, I can get a 99a, 53mm version in Europe?
IG: @flowterspace

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3823 on: May 28, 2021, 10:06:43 PM »
hey guys, was in a bit of a dilemma
skate mostly street, looking for a bigger wheel (skate 53s atm) so im stuck between

bones stf 99a v5 55mm
or
Spitfire F4 99a classic 55mm

kinda leaning towards the classics cuz thinner wheel better for fliptricks but the bones are a bit cheaper

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3824 on: May 29, 2021, 12:47:34 AM »
skate mostly street, looking for a bigger wheel (skate 53s atm) so im stuck between

bones stf 99a v5 55mm
or

kinda leaning towards the classics cuz thinner wheel better for fliptricks but the bones are a bit cheaper

Have you had Bones and Spitfire F4 before?

They are both very good wheels, but also so very different in how they feel and ride.

I am a Spitfire guy myself, but I know a lot of people ride Bones as they are the longest lasting and least likely to flatspot of everything, even if it is by a very slim margin compared to F4s.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1961
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3825 on: May 29, 2021, 02:51:21 AM »

bones stf 99a v5 55mm
or

Spitfire for my money, but the skinniness of the classics could be an issue for crusty roads. If the Spitfire 97a is available those seem to be the more popular option.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #3826 on: May 29, 2021, 05:57:41 AM »
Expand Quote

bones stf 99a v5 55mm
or

[close]

Spitfire for my money, but the skinniness of the classics could be an issue for crusty roads. If the Spitfire 97a is available those seem to be the more popular option.
+ 1 on this.
F4 97 classics is what you want. If is not an option I would go for those 99 Bones.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
« Reply #3827 on: May 29, 2021, 06:11:05 AM »
Yeah, I've been skating the 97a F4s for mainly street skating, and can attest that they're solid wheels. Haven't had any issues with their durability, they're not slow, etc.

I did just decide to do something completely different, and I bought some Autobahn dual duro wheels. Never had Autobahns or dual duros before, so I'm interested to see how they compare to the Spits because I've been skating F4s for years. And honestly, I miss skating white wheels.

Smoothbrain1

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3828 on: May 29, 2021, 09:59:46 AM »
Don’t ever buy bones wheels unless you like going slow.
I can hear someone rolling on bones before I even see them because the sound they make is so dull and sluggish.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #3829 on: May 29, 2021, 12:34:57 PM »
Has anyone skated 58s with no risers on Indies or Aces?  I picked up some 58 mm Spitfire F4 OG classics.  I was planning on throwing them on my next setup with some Indy standards or Ace classics.  I usually get wheelbite anyway - just curious if the board will be rideable haha or if I need to invest in some risers.  On some 54s now and I’m feeling the bigger wheels

PhantomBased

• Rep: -13
« Reply #3830 on: May 29, 2021, 12:40:23 PM »
Interested to hear what other people are riding other than Spits or Bones. Did a search and was surprised there wasn't a thread for other wheel manus. There is a great selection of smaller brands... Autobahn, OJ, Broadcast, Paradise, Pusher, SML, PFC, Type S, etc. Definitely interested to hear what people are skating.

Currently on these on these SML Herrington 53 Wides and I love them. They were a little slick for my tastes at first but after a few sessions they're perfect. For anyone that prefers wider wheels they are great:

Just finished up on OJ Dela 53. Wasn't a big fan of them on first ride, but gave them a revisit and I was pretty psyched:

I have these up next, Satori Guru 54:

Just got done skating some nomads for the past four or five months and I really really loved them if you’re looking for a softer will definitely give them a try they don’t slide very good though at least I couldn’t really slide them. Ricta wides I’m skating right now I didn’t think I’d like them but they’re actually a pretty decent will probably comparable to a Spitfire conical I think they use OJs formula somehow cos they’re on nhs. The last wheels I had before all these were oj nomads the regular shape, I really do like this formula. I’m sure there are faster wheels but they lasted forever and never flat spotted. Hope you find something you like! I wanna try satori wheels and acid chemical wheels Donovan rice skates them and swears by them so worth a shot

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #3831 on: May 29, 2021, 01:00:17 PM »
I’ve been strictly skating f4’s for the past 5~ Years, or however long it’s been since they came out. I decided to try some OJ elite 99’s, hardline shape and they’re actually really good wheels. Fast, grippy, but slide when you need them too and more longer lasting/durable than f4’s. I haven’t been able to flat spot them and they don’t wear down as fast as f4’s. And they’re bleach white (and stay that way) for people who don’t like the brown tint of f4’s. I still consider myself a spitfire guy, but I would definitely ride another pair of OJ elites

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3832 on: May 29, 2021, 03:05:51 PM »
Expand Quote

bones stf 99a v5 55mm
or

[close]

Have you had Bones and Spitfire F4 before?

They are both very good wheels, but also so very different in how they feel and ride.

I am a Spitfire guy myself, but I know a lot of people ride Bones as they are the longest lasting and least likely to flatspot of everything, even if it is by a very slim margin compared to F4s.

I have had f4 101a and bones 103a stf, since I used to skate harder wheels.
Right now I have some 99a SML ag formula v-cuts and theyre pretty sticky so I want some 99s that actually slide.
I guess my main thing is do bones slide somewhat well as f4s? or are they a lot more sticky (feel like spitfire og formula)

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #3833 on: May 29, 2021, 10:48:12 PM »
Has anyone skated 58s with no risers on Indies or Aces?  I picked up some 58 mm Spitfire F4 OG classics.  I was planning on throwing them on my next setup with some Indy standards or Ace classics.  I usually get wheelbite anyway - just curious if the board will be rideable haha or if I need to invest in some risers.  On some 54s now and I’m feeling the bigger wheels

I skated SPF 58s on some Ace 44s with no risers a few years back and had no issues. Stock bushings, medium loose, 8.5 deck

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 953
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #3834 on: May 29, 2021, 11:16:34 PM »
I would like a 66mm f4. That would be the sickest
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 834
« Reply #3835 on: May 29, 2021, 11:20:58 PM »
Ended up getting 53mm slime balls and I'm pretty happy with that decision. They're really, really good. Fast as hell and just soft enough to float over cracks and be comfortable. And they slide really well to boot. Now if this weather would fuck off so I can actually skate them...

I have had f4 101a and bones 103a stf, since I used to skate harder wheels.
Right now I have some 99a SML ag formula v-cuts and theyre pretty sticky so I want some 99s that actually slide.
I guess my main thing is do bones slide somewhat well as f4s? or are they a lot more sticky (feel like spitfire og formula)

Bones 99a feel a little sticky, especially on rougher ground. They do slide pretty well on smooth ground but it's definitely a different, softer feel. Haven't tried the 103 in a long time.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3836 on: May 30, 2021, 05:28:03 AM »

A new contender has entered the ring?
Who is doing their thane⁇

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3837 on: May 30, 2021, 01:22:47 PM »

A new contender has entered the ring?
Who is doing their thane⁇

I came to ask the same. They look really good!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #3838 on: May 31, 2021, 10:57:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skated SPF 58s on some Ace 44s with no risers a few years back and had no issues. Stock bushings, medium loose, 8.5 deck

Word - thanks.  Might need to tighten my trucks a little but I’m gonna give it a shot.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #3839 on: May 31, 2021, 02:24:37 PM »
Not to sound like a moron, but I’m thinking I’m not digging my wheels because the patch is so big. I’m looking at some Bones V5s or V2s. Would it be easier to keep speed and pop some shit with smaller/narrower wheels?