Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 215129 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1290 on: June 25, 2022, 01:02:46 PM »
Before I buy a leaf blower.
Does anyone know of a broom like that one scum co made that disassembles into small pieces to carry easily?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1292 on: June 25, 2022, 03:59:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the only bushings that ever crack and crumble are the tops (roadside) - is that typical or am i just not doing the grinds that wreck the bottom one?

feel like im sitting on all bottom bushings
[close]

From looking over the assorted used / mismatched bushing bag, I have a whole lot more Indy bottoms than tops, then a whole lot more tops from some and bottoms from others, both Thunder and Venture (at least the ones I know were from them, colourwise or just the feel of them) so I don't really know if there is anything specific that one person would do to blow out tops or bottoms.

Are yours all the same?  Same brand / colour or anything about them to note, eg I feel like cylinder hold up better than the conical bottoms, so Thunder conical bottoms end up more blown out than others, but Indy tops blow out more than the Indy bottoms.

That is just with this lot anyway, which is maybe fifty bushings all up - too many to hold in both hands, which is why they are all in a bag.
[close]

Yeah all mine are the same- venture stock bushings. I like the way they skate just fine, but having to buy two little pieces of plastic each time one bushing fails makes me anxious about the ocean lol. Would like it if my plastic pieces failed symmetrically so i felt like i wasnt wasting shit

I definitely seem to be harder on top (roadside) bushings, they crumble pretty quick for me, especially harder duro bushings. This is pretty consistent between indy (stock and aftermarket), thunder, and doh dohs.

The funny thing is they used to sell individual parts of bushings here in AU, so I don't know why that stopped or if it was a one off thing from one distro that someone would always swap out stock bushings, but that would have been great to be able to order twenty or so top bushings to have as spares.

https://www.ocdskateshop.com.au/products/venture-top-red-90a-bushing

https://www.kickpush.com.au/Venture-Truck-Co-Top-Bushing-Red-90A-x-1

The other thing I was thinking was all the conical bushings sets can be (re)used, bottoms cut up as I have done before, so buying one set of something like the aftermarket Indy conical bushings gives four tops with a little work, two normal tops and two bottoms cut off which end up about the same shape as the tops.

At least with some brands or places (like the new NFG bushings) you can buy specific parts, so just getting a few of those tops alone might be a better deal than buying full sets when you never use the rest of them.

I think it was posted as a modification with the Instagram link in the bushings thread, but someone reshapes their bushings with a drill too.  Here it is:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112631.msg3817056#msg3817056

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Landmine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #1293 on: June 25, 2022, 07:11:54 PM »
Before I buy a leaf blower.
Does anyone know of a broom like that one scum co made that disassembles into small pieces to carry easily?

I keep this one in the car for dirt and wet shit
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-24-in-Push-Broom-with-Built-in-Squeegee/1000622443

edit: i misread, this one doesn't break down
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 08:30:32 PM by Landmine »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1587
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1294 on: June 25, 2022, 07:45:10 PM »
This sucker no?

I have one and wish it was a couple inches smaller to fit in a pack….fits outside one easy…

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kraft-Tool-Co-60-in-Aluminum-Snap-Style-Broom-Handle-3-Piece-CC263/205323267

minilogoflow

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1295 on: June 25, 2022, 11:24:22 PM »
Now that Indy has the new forged hollow mids, does anyone know if they'll be selling the forged ikp plate seperately like standard ones?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1296 on: June 26, 2022, 12:41:56 AM »
Now that Indy has the new forged hollow mids, does anyone know if they'll be selling the forged ikp plate seperately like standard ones?

I think someone said there was nothing on the horizon of pre books for the separate forged plates, but who knows further into the future.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1297 on: June 26, 2022, 02:23:20 AM »
you asked & i replied 2 weeks ago  ;)

slappyjoes

• Rep: 40
« Reply #1298 on: June 27, 2022, 08:06:59 AM »
Just set up a quasi board and after the first 1st day of skating it I noticed there was little gap in between the plys. Looks like a minor defect but I'm not sure if I should email quasi about it or just ride it out.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
« Reply #1299 on: June 27, 2022, 11:57:33 AM »
Just set up a quasi board and after the first 1st day of skating it I noticed there was little gap in between the plys. Looks like a minor defect but I'm not sure if I should email quasi about it or just ride it out.

That's a whole delamination happening. Stop skating it and email them asap.

slappyjoes

« Reply #1300 on: June 27, 2022, 02:08:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just sent them an email. Any idea how long they will take to reply and send out another board?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #1301 on: June 27, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Just sent them an email. Any idea how long they will take to reply and send out another board?

Did you buy it in store or online?

I would be taking it back into the place you got it, but it looks more like some bit of something got caught in the glue and ended up between the layers just before pressing, not so much an actual delamination, which is where the layers are often not glued and completely separate, but it is only one picture, so it is hard to get the full story.

As to timeframe, I would be putting on another board (if you have one) cause something like that is not going to be resolved overnight.  Could be weeks even.

slappyjoes

« Reply #1302 on: June 27, 2022, 11:16:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I would be taking it back into the place you got it, but it looks more like some bit of something got caught in the glue and ended up between the layers just before pressing, not so much an actual delamination, which is where the layers are often not glued and completely separate, but it is only one picture, so it is hard to get the full story.

As to timeframe, I would be putting on another board (if you have one) cause something like that is not going to be resolved overnight.  Could be weeks even.

I brought it from a shop while I was at Hamburg. I'm at paris now so I cant really head back to the shop I got it from.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • Just deck / woodshop info
« Reply #1303 on: June 28, 2022, 01:11:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I brought it from a shop while I was at Hamburg. I'm at paris now so I cant really head back to the shop I got it from.

Ah yes, that is a small issue, but even with that pic, send that to the shop or to Quasi, info below.  I do wonder if that is actually going to be an issue, but you can see the extra piece of something from the close up that has been squeezed into the layers.

Was it BBS or PS Stix?  Not that it matters, but more just curious.

https://quasiskateboards.com/pages/contact-terms-shipping-privacy

Warranty Policy

Manufacturer defects are rare and are typically limited to de-laminations and mis-drilled holes. Boards broken along the edge of the truck baseplate are the most common warranty inquiry in the industry, however, those breaks are nearly always the result of normal wear and tear (e.g., you did not land bolts).

If you think your deck was faulty by cause of manufacturer error please contact us at [email protected] with the following information:

Contact information (name, address, email and phone number).
Photos of the broken deck (the more detail, the better).
Where you purchased the product (shop name, website, etc).
Photo of the deck's serial number (found on the top veneer between the front truck holes).
Any other useful information about the deck (pro model, graphic description, date purchased, etc).
Upon review we will contact you to confirm whether or not your board can be replaced under the guidelines of our warranty policy.
We are NOT responsible for any return shipping costs or fees.

slappyjoes

« Reply #1304 on: June 28, 2022, 02:53:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ah yes, that is a small issue, but even with that pic, send that to the shop or to Quasi, info below.  I do wonder if that is actually going to be an issue, but you can see the extra piece of something from the close up that has been squeezed into the layers.

Was it BBS or PS Stix?  Not that it matters, but more just curious.

https://quasiskateboards.com/pages/contact-terms-shipping-privacy

Warranty Policy

Manufacturer defects are rare and are typically limited to de-laminations and mis-drilled holes. Boards broken along the edge of the truck baseplate are the most common warranty inquiry in the industry, however, those breaks are nearly always the result of normal wear and tear (e.g., you did not land bolts).

If you think your deck was faulty by cause of manufacturer error please contact us at [email protected] with the following information:

Contact information (name, address, email and phone number).
Photos of the broken deck (the more detail, the better).
Where you purchased the product (shop name, website, etc).
Photo of the deck's serial number (found on the top veneer between the front truck holes).
Any other useful information about the deck (pro model, graphic description, date purchased, etc).
Upon review we will contact you to confirm whether or not your board can be replaced under the guidelines of our warranty policy.
We are NOT responsible for any return shipping costs or fees.

The serial number on the top starts with ps so I assume it means it's from ps stix

LB

• Rep: 57
« Reply #1305 on: June 28, 2022, 03:17:09 AM »
what was that board whre it shows a family come from and thier kids have accidently shot themselves with dadiies gun/  blind? 101?
thanks in advance

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 642
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1306 on: June 28, 2022, 03:38:27 AM »
what was that board whre it shows a family come from and thier kids have accidently shot themselves with dadiies gun/  blind? 101?
thanks in advance
Blind - Accidental Gun Death Slick Bottom Deck Guy Mariano

Rattus Localis

« Reply #1307 on: June 28, 2022, 05:39:35 AM »
Anyone know of any Australian shops stocking the Venture loose truck conversion kit yet?

I don't even need to make them looser, I just want the green bushings.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1308 on: June 28, 2022, 05:05:15 PM »
Anyone know of any Australian shops stocking the Venture loose truck conversion kit yet?

I don't even need to make them looser, I just want the green bushings.

Most things take a while to get here, given the surface shipping from SF to BNE of the DLX products, so I would say in a few months they should be hitting shops like OCD, but I heard a couple of people I know already got some, given small light weight things don't cost that much more all up shipping from USA, but that is on them.

They even come up on ebay.com.au but it is from a US seller with what I would think is ridiculous additional costs in shipping and taxes.

Eg  bushings are around AU$12 a set, but these ones are $7 plus $20 shipping and whatever tax is added on too.

Best to wait really.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #1309 on: June 28, 2022, 06:31:41 PM »
Thanks mate, somehow I knew it'd be you responding to my query. Happy to wait, I'm on a set of Thunders right now anyway.

Additional question for all you Venture nerds: Would they work on Venture lows, or would it fuck with the geometry or whatever?

I've got a set of highs that I use when I go down to an 8, but I also just bought a pair of low 5.25s because Ben Degros, nostalgia, and I got them cheap.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1310 on: June 28, 2022, 06:40:15 PM »
Thanks mate, somehow I knew it'd be you responding to my query. Happy to wait, I'm on a set of Thunders right now anyway.

Additional question for all you Venture nerds: Would they work on Venture lows, or would it fuck with the geometry or whatever?

I've got a set of highs that I use when I go down to an 8, but I also just bought a pair of low 5.25s because Ben Degros, nostalgia, and I got them cheap.

I had a whole bunch of old truck parts I set up recently, all narrow trucks including Venture high and low hangers which worked the same on whatever Venture baseplates I had here too, all with the same bushings in them.

The only thing I think would be good is the Venture low has so little kingpin clearance that a low head bushing would definitely make it sit better and allow more clearance, so the "loose bushing kit" would work well on there, kingpin tightened down a bit more to have normal feeling trucks with more clearance.

The few sets of Venture low trucks on board I have floating around also seem like the normal bushings, not lower bushings, even though some others had said there were specifically lower bushings for Venture low trucks, as per the Low Doh bushings, which I also have a set or two still.  Those things are lower in both top and bottom and just don't work well in normal trucks, so I would stick with the normal bottom bushing height and use the low top to get more clearance.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #1311 on: June 28, 2022, 08:34:47 PM »
^^^^
Thanks again, I love the idea of running the lows with green bushings to get the vintage vibe. Added kingpin clearance is a welcome bonus.

Mick

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1312 on: June 29, 2022, 11:23:38 AM »
Anyone ever put Ace AF1 hangers on Ace Classic baseplates?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2249
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1313 on: June 29, 2022, 11:32:43 AM »
Anyone ever put Ace AF1 hangers on Ace Classic baseplates?
Yes.
In short: it works just fine.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #1314 on: June 30, 2022, 02:08:51 AM »
whats the quality of the prints on dlx hoodies?
i usually stick with embroidery for longevity purposes
but if an eagle graphic can handle some washes im down
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #1315 on: June 30, 2022, 02:29:30 AM »

I've had my Thunder hoodie for a year, it looks new. I wash it a couple of times a month.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2249
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1316 on: June 30, 2022, 07:07:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've had my Thunder hoodie for a year, it looks new. I wash it a couple of times a month.
I don’t know about the quality or durability of the screen yet, but I recently picked up a Venture hoodie & I’ll tell you what I’ve learned…
First, I highly recommend swapping out the stock drawstring it comes with inside the hood. I’ve replaced mine with a Kevlar unit for abrasion resistance, and then, for weight reduction, replaced the plastic aglets on the end of the string with some titanium jawns I picked up from the local technical/tactical fabric supply. They cost a bit more but I’ve already shaved 2 mg of weight right there!
Next, I replaced the sleeves with some Thunder ones I had been sitting on. I find I get much better rotation in my reaches with this combo, and I notice a benefit whenever picking something up.
Finally, I removed the sewn in tags that my hoody came with & stitched some Riptide tags in. Definately improved the wear.

Big love to any PALS still afflicted with gear madness. ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 07:27:10 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1317 on: June 30, 2022, 07:33:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I don’t know about the quality or durability of the screen yet, but I recently picked up a Venture hoodie & I’ll tell you what I’ve learned…
First, I highly recommend swapping out the stock drawstring it comes with inside the hood. I’ve replaced mine with a Kevlar unit for abrasion resistance, and then, for weight reduction, replaced the plastic aglets on the end of the string with some titanium jawns I picked up from the local technical/tactical fabric supply. They cost a bit more but I’ve already shaved 2 mg of weight right there!
Next, I replaced the sleeves with some Thunder ones I had been sitting on. I find I get much better rotation in my reaches with this combo, and I notice a benefit whenever picking something up.
Finally, I removed the sewn in tags that my hoody came with & stitched some Riptide tags in. Definately improved the wear.

Stop being a princess and wear your Venture hoodie as nature intended. You're playing yourself by swapping drawstrings, anyone who rocks "The ONLY Trucks That Matter" know the stock strings work best if you give them 2 wash cycles to break in.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 06:32:55 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1318 on: June 30, 2022, 08:17:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Have you noticed your hoody "clicking" at all?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1319 on: June 30, 2022, 11:58:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Goddamnit. Can't gnar bc already gnar'd a previous hilarious post within the previous 24 hours.

I have to ask though, how long do you like your hoodies in relation to belt line? And, how big do you like your hoods?