Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 215075 times)

DERBY and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #4830 on: March 31, 2024, 05:51:00 AM »

Sometimes I feel like I could have a market for very lightly used (and nicely broken in bushings) to supply to people who are too keen to wait and want to skate right now.  I usually have quite a few sets that I have just right, which I have taken out and are ready for whatever is needed in that regard, which have definitely helped some people, but it is a weird thing, like second hand shoes - sometimes you just need to get them and have them from new and do the hard work yourself.

The last time I got new trucks I remembered "Aw man, I gotta break these in." And I wished I had a machine to to it for me.

I still can't think of anything cheap or easier than just cruising though.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1039
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4831 on: March 31, 2024, 03:05:11 PM »

I had two sessions on them and the only way to get them anywhere near where I like to have them would have had none of the nylock in the threads. I threw them in boiling water and they are better now.

Some people even skate them without the bottom washer for a bit first, just to try to wear them in.

I don't know how good that would be - changing the feel of the truck geometry and possibly blowing out the bottom bushing, but I guess for those people, they say it is just right until they compress or soften up and then they put the bottom washer back in and are good for the life of the truck.

Guessing they don't do a whole lot of heavy / side to side landings on those in that time, but I can see that as an alternative to cutting the bushings or swapping them out.

Some others might put a thin flat washer on top at first too, like the Bones washers.  That really makes they feel a whole lot more loose and turny, with no resistance, but it was a bit too much when I tried it, just to see how it was.

Expand Quote

Sometimes I feel like I could have a market for very lightly used (and nicely broken in bushings) to supply to people who are too keen to wait and want to skate right now.  I usually have quite a few sets that I have just right, which I have taken out and are ready for whatever is needed in that regard, which have definitely helped some people, but it is a weird thing, like second hand shoes - sometimes you just need to get them and have them from new and do the hard work yourself.
[close]

The last time I got new trucks I remembered "Aw man, I gotta break these in." And I wished I had a machine to to it for me.

I still can't think of anything cheap or easier than just cruising though.

For sure - just put in the time at the start and they work really well, for the most part.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4832 on: March 31, 2024, 04:23:39 PM »
Why can't I get to where my board is landing?

LeDave

• Rep: 9
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #4833 on: April 02, 2024, 03:48:29 PM »
I just bought a new set of Thunder Sonora 147's. The graphics are a bit different, one truck has a lightning but the other says Team. I didn't realize this until I got home from the shop. Is it normal or should I trade back for both being either lightnings or both being Teams? Thanks

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 198
« Reply #4834 on: April 02, 2024, 03:53:04 PM »
Normal

LeDave

« Reply #4835 on: April 02, 2024, 03:55:04 PM »
Normal

Thank you! I will keep both as is then.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1018
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4836 on: April 02, 2024, 04:18:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
As I get older knee issues worry me more. I have jumpers knee which is generally fine as long as I do yoga, foam roll and cycle.

I was considering getting some of those Old Bones knee sleeves. Maybe a silly question but are they good to wear on every sesh or will it be an issue where my knees will be weaker from the extra support?
[close]
Get X99
[close]

I appreciate that but I tried the x99 and I personally like my 99a f4s more. I just wanna know if wearing a compression sleeve on the knees consistently will be worse in the long run
[close]

As someone who is almost 50 years old and had my first knee surgery at 14, I can say that the old bones sleeves do nothing but maybe keep your knees warmer. Honestly the best knee support I've had is from 7mm+ knee wraps that power lifters use. They can hinder your skateboarding depending on what tricks you are trying. If you're cruising, slashing and riding transition then they are perfect. They won't make you weaker if that's what you've heard

The best thing that has worked for me, someone who has had multiple surgeries on his left knee but my right knee is my worst, is regressing to progress

work easy then press on

Drink the cool aid

30 years of knee pain gone in one year of body weight exercises

Gua Sha muscle scraper/tool can also help - lots of knee issue come from surrounding muscles being over or under worked/utilized.

Walking backwards on the treadmill (without it moving on it's own) or sled pulls will help strengthen your knees.

I've got knee pain, nothing torn but over use: Old knees (launch ramps, drops, stairs/40+ yrs skating) + lift heavy, bike, hike...knee compression sleeves never helped, you can get some flossing bands, but they suck to skate in and didn't really help either.

Foam rolling the teardrop of your quad helps a ton (for me anyway). But the real magic? These fucking things:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWMPF1Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I've used similar on my elbows (inner elbow tendonitis/lifting injuries) and they didn't work/help at all so I was reluctant to try them for knees....

But those knee braces, it's voodoo, I swear but I can squat, skate, hike, etc., without pain and/or feeling like my knee was going to give out. When it first became a real issue, even getting out of bed some days it was impossible to put weight on them until I thera gun'd/scraped the tear drop -  but if I strap these on first thing, boom right as rain. The best thing is it's getting better and I'm able to use them less.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 04:25:32 PM by Xen »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #4837 on: April 02, 2024, 05:20:50 PM »
I just bought a new set of Thunder Sonora 147's. The graphics are a bit different, one truck has a lightning but the other says Team. I didn't realize this until I got home from the shop. Is it normal or should I trade back for both being either lightnings or both being Teams? Thanks

this is normal.

LeDave

« Reply #4838 on: April 02, 2024, 05:24:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
this is normal.

Thanks, will keep both.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1343
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #4839 on: April 02, 2024, 05:48:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
this is normal.
[close]

Thanks, will keep both.
Just a bit of trivia, the stampings on Thunder baseplates have always been kinda random going back to Stage Is in the 80s where you would get some combo of salamander, scimitar and skull

them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4840 on: April 02, 2024, 05:51:57 PM »
Any body got any recommendations on an air compressor with a motor on it to blow out dusty machinery? I used to use when I was a machine operator and I want one for my home but it looks like there's a lot of bootleg compressors on Amazon. Or maybe they're all fine and I can just get whatever?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 829
« Reply #4841 on: April 02, 2024, 06:44:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
this is normal.
[close]

Thanks, will keep both.
[close]
Just a bit of trivia, the stampings on Thunder baseplates have always been kinda random going back to Stage Is in the 80s where you would get some combo of salamander, scimitar and skull

Depending what earrings Terry Nails was wearing when they poured the baseplates that day at Ermico.

Banned from the room

« Reply #4842 on: April 02, 2024, 06:54:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
this is normal.
[close]

Thanks, will keep both.
[close]

I miss these. I miss tfours

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #4843 on: April 02, 2024, 09:31:42 PM »
Who the fuck designed the baseplates on Fury trucks? I was pulling the hardware off an old Hardy board to hang and it had some rusty Furys on it... Those nut holes/(counter sinks?) were the worst idea I've seen in hot minute
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1587
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4844 on: April 02, 2024, 10:55:04 PM »
I had the first incarnations of furys and the pivot was almost like a ball and socket….designed by Shrewgy I think… not sure about the rest of the truck….

lulz

• Rep: 79
« Reply #4845 on: April 02, 2024, 11:50:07 PM »
Any body got any recommendations on an air compressor with a motor on it to blow out dusty machinery? I used to use when I was a machine operator and I want one for my home but it looks like there's a lot of bootleg compressors on Amazon. Or maybe they're all fine and I can just get whatever?

The oil lubed ones from harbor freight have always worked the best for me.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #4846 on: April 03, 2024, 08:04:54 AM »
My primitive order still hasn’t shipped. Ordered it March 22. Gonna try to get it canceled but hopefully their customer service actually responds to me this time.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4847 on: April 03, 2024, 08:18:41 AM »
Still nursing a sprained ankle and I wonder if skating high tops would help with recovery (once ankle is feeling good enough to pop tricks ofc)
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4848 on: April 03, 2024, 09:40:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The oil lubed ones from harbor freight have always worked the best for me.
Thanks for the rec! Didn't even know there's a Harbor Freight in my area

Pastasash

• Rep: 76
« Reply #4849 on: April 03, 2024, 09:52:11 AM »
Still nursing a sprained ankle and I wonder if skating high tops would help with recovery (once ankle is feeling good enough to pop tricks ofc)

Sorta, it's more of a placebo effect more than anything. When I was coming back from my last ankle injury I was skating dunk highs and it definitely gave me more confidence and my ankle felt more secure and supported, but it didn't stop me from getting a hot pocket after nursing my ankle for a month and a half.

Strength training is the only thing that really is going to help with recovery, load the ankle with some weights not just body weight and bands. You'll be feeling much better for return to skate even if its in low or high tops

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4850 on: April 03, 2024, 10:53:06 AM »
Who the fuck designed the baseplates on Fury trucks? I was pulling the hardware off an old Hardy board to hang and it had some rusty Furys on it... Those nut holes/(counter sinks?) were the worst idea I've seen in hot minute

I actually liked that because I only had to carry around this tiny phillips screwdriver to tighten the nuts lol... I feel like that made them come loose a lot or maybe it was just cause I was skating so mucch? I think it added a lot of un-necessary weight to the truck though and thats why they removed it on the EVOs or whatever. by that point i had moved on to Indy. I only rode fury's from probably 2002-2005~ they were my favorite truck at the time. The turning was a lot better than all the other trucks that were out by a long shot (besides indy). and they had good pros. seemed like one of the better offerings at the time to me.

LeDave

« Reply #4851 on: April 03, 2024, 11:46:54 AM »
What do you guys use to clean your bearings with? I use 100% acetone nail polish remover from the Dollar Tree and then a drop of Speed Cream for lubing each bearing. I clean not just the bearings but the shields, spacers and washers as well.

Also do any of you guys use Bronson G3 bearings? I am using Bones Red for my main board but want to try something different for my other board.

Thanks!

lulz

• Rep: 79
« Reply #4852 on: April 04, 2024, 09:35:30 PM »
What do you guys use to clean your bearings with? I use 100% acetone nail polish remover from the Dollar Tree and then a drop of Speed Cream for lubing each bearing. I clean not just the bearings but the shields, spacers and washers as well.

Also do any of you guys use Bronson G3 bearings? I am using Bones Red for my main board but want to try something different for my other board.

Thanks!

Yes to acetone and speed cream. Well, not the shields, just soapy water on those. Don’t want the acetone to break down the rubber seals.

Can’t speak to Bronsons. Avoided them due to bad reviews on here.

If you want better than reds, go with Bones Swiss super six.
If you need cheaper than reds, I like spitfire bearings, lol.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 10:25:25 PM by lulz »

DERBY

• Rep: 272
« Reply #4853 on: April 04, 2024, 10:14:02 PM »

Thanks!

what youre doing is good. probably best to make sure everything is dried entirely. the person above said to avoid the shields. theyre right but tbh i personally do it.

based on experience g3s are worse then the g2s and standard reds. bones is your safest bet and most of their bearings are quality. only set from bones that werent good are the big balls. theyre fast and the shields look nice but cracked the crowns on every set

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #4854 on: April 04, 2024, 11:56:27 PM »

Thanks!

Acetone works, but is hella toxic and can be corrosive on plastic. I prefer to use isopropyl alcohol instead. Less harmful on your lungs and the environment, too.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4855 on: April 05, 2024, 03:02:54 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks!
[close]

Acetone works, but is hella toxic and can be corrosive on plastic. I prefer to use isopropyl alcohol instead. Less harmful on your lungs and the environment, too.
This is the right answer. Even a citrus based dishwasher detergent on warm water works, not ideal but decent enough.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Basingstoke

• Rep: 35
« Reply #4856 on: April 05, 2024, 11:04:27 AM »
I had the first incarnations of furys and the pivot was almost like a ball and socket….designed by Shrewgy I think… not sure about the rest of the truck….

Thought it was Lance as he was the team manager, basing it off of one of the manufacturers from the 70's. When I was back in the UK Decathlon was selling them online and in store.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 812
« Reply #4857 on: April 06, 2024, 08:01:08 AM »
What was that site that listed songs used in skate videos/parts?

breezy_again

• Rep: 56
  • Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation
« Reply #4858 on: April 06, 2024, 08:16:05 AM »
What was that site that listed songs used in skate videos/parts?
skatevideosite

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #4859 on: April 07, 2024, 01:37:51 AM »
Thinking of getting Ishod 2 and GT blazers mid.
Ishods are a guilty pleasure because I know they're kinda ugly and I don't like red shoes but those for some reason are calling me badly.
GT blazers mid, the black ones, at first I thought they were ugly af but suddenly I started to like them. Even that ugly 98 is getting into me now, it was the year I started skating so is a nice thing.
Obvsly both pairs are on sale on the Czech Nike site.
Should I put the trigger?
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.